The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)  (Read 965631 times)

Offline Rosewood

• Obsessed
Re: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)
« Reply #555 on: December 19, 2006, 12:14:50 PM »

Wow Rosewood, Lefcourt answered you! He must be a nice guy.

Ok not Denzel, but can't think -- Matt Damon is good maybe -- I thought of Pecci as the PI can't you see him tailing Randy and the dog!

Oh yea, Dr. Faud -- with his prayer beads -- that would be a great cameo for someone like who's the guy who played Gandi and House of Sand and Fog? His age wouldn't matter too much - he's got to be 50 ish
I personally can take Adam Sandler, too whiney -- he always seems strung out on something. (he was good in Spanglish). What about Matthew McConahey as Randy (althought I don't care for him much). Got to have a couple of "names" in the leads! Sure, got to have chemistry like Jake/Heath. Maybe Robert Downey,Jr as the reporter. The baseball commissioner would be a good part for maybe William Devane?

It's fun to cast movies -- I do it often when I read a good book!

Ben Kingsley you mean?
Yeah, he would work.
Little known fact: he's wonderful in comedy.

Hmmmm.
Leo DeCaprio as Randy. Maybe. Hard to picture him with a babe wife and twin daughters though.
Don't know why.

Don't like Matthew McConnaghy (or however you spell it) at all.
(In fact, he gives me the creeps.)

Don't like Mark Wahlberg, don't feel he's handsome enough for Randy.
And Shemar Moore has a smugness to him that I find off putting.
Ben Aflleck: ick.

Other than that though..... :D

Admittedly, it will be very hard to cast these parts.

I personally am not crazy about Adam Sandler either. BUT, he was marvelous in SPANGLISH.
I have to give the guy his due. He won me over in that film.
I'd love to see him in do the Zola role. I still think he'd be great.
Although Downey would be good too.

There's even a bit part in this story for the President of the USA, if I remember correctly.
Can't tell you guys how much I LOVE this book!
If you haven't read it yet, DO SO IMMEDIATELY.
You will thank us.

And yes, there is definitely a 'J'Accuse' moment coming.
I can say no more.  ;)

"Tut, tut, child," said the Duchess.
"Everything's got a moral if only you can find it."
                                                  Lewis Carroll

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #556 on: December 19, 2006, 02:02:45 PM »

Rosewood, I finished it last night!  I guessed the J'accuse moment, but won't give it away, although if people have been reading these posts they probably have an idea.

Randy has be played by a big, blond, sweet guy -- any suggestions -- ok I don't like McConahey, but physically he fits -- DJ has to have some gravitas, 'cause in the story he was more retrospective and serious than Randy. It's great isn't it?

BTW were you the one who suggested it back in June/July for the book club? If so, thanks mucho!
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
« Reply #557 on: December 19, 2006, 05:13:59 PM »
Hi CSI, if you still there. After I saw your post about "Running w/Scissors," I decided to check it out of the library -- every copy was out -- the librarian told me when I asked that it was very popular. Funny how people discover a book all at once. Then Michael mentioned "Dry" same author, so I checked that out and will buy "Scissors" rather than wait for it.

-----------------------------------

Just back  from B&N -- bought "Running With Scissors." I'm half way thru "Dry."  Also bought "The Turning" which is a collection of short stories by Tim Winton who wrote "Dirt Music." The San Francisco Chronicle wrote: What John Steinbeck was to California's Central Valley, Tim Winton is to the coastal region of Western Australia...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 03:03:59 PM by Nikki »

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #558 on: December 20, 2006, 05:07:26 PM »
An announcement from the moderators about the slowdown problem that we’ve been experiencing at various times, centering from about 9:00 am until about 12:00 noon GMT:

The administration has been working extremely hard to solve the slow down issue that has been plaguing the forum for some months now. It has been determined that to solve this we will have to change the host company of the forum. The new host server has now been contracted with by Dave as of today.

We are proceeding rapidly now and hope to have the conversion complete within a few weeks at the latest and hopefully much sooner. We will keep you (members) apprised. Please look for announcements in the Newsbox. Some changes will likely come up suddenly--that is the nature of computer conversions, so it is impossible to know before we test whether something will go flawlessly and take two hours, or uncover thorny issues that will take days. The testing process is being started. This will not affect the forum at this point.

So taking this into consideration, we don't want to give you timeframes that are unrealistic. As soon as we finish a stage, we'll proceed immediately to the next, and the exact changeover will likely come on very short notice to you (members). We will post this changeover time in the Newsbox as well as in the individual threads, and will give you as much lead time as we can manage. This will enable us to end the slowdown ASAP.

Thank you for your patience.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline IcySparks

• Obsessed
  • How can we sleep while our beds are burning?
« Reply #559 on: December 26, 2006, 04:02:59 PM »
I'm just starting Next by one of my favorite authors, Michael Crichton, which I received as a Christmas present. :)
Too Much Information!!! Breaking News! Celebrities! Headlines! TV, Music, Movies & The Arts! The Odd & Off-Beat! You Can Never Have Too Much Information!

Offline Rosewood

• Obsessed
« Reply #560 on: December 28, 2006, 01:34:10 PM »

Rosewood, I finished it last night!  I guessed the J'accuse moment, but won't give it away, although if people have been reading these posts they probably have an idea.

Randy has be played by a big, blond, sweet guy -- any suggestions -- ok I don't like McConahey, but physically he fits -- DJ has to have some gravitas, 'cause in the story he was more retrospective and serious than Randy. It's great isn't it?

BTW were you the one who suggested it back in June/July for the book club? If so, thanks mucho!

I did suggest it way back when, but I don't think I was the first.
It is a perfect book for Book Club, though.

Hmmm. A big, sweet, blond guy....Can't think who.
Maybe Orlando Bloom with hair dye. Remember how good he looked as a blond in Lord of the Rings?
In fact, I prefer him blond. So that's a possibility. He'd have to bulk up though.

Or maybe with some urging, I could see Leo DeCaprio in the part. Maybe.
Although I tend to think that you need an actor with an inchoate sense of humor to play this
part and I just dont' see this in Leo. The guy who plays Randy needs to be able to stand apart
and look at his life and see the absurdities in it. Don't you think?

This film when and if it ever happens will have to be the casting coup of the year, I'm thinking.

Right now, I'm blank though.

Actually, I'm not. Now that I think on it, I go back to my original choice of Matt Damon.
I think he'd be perfect as Randy.

But D.J., that's another kettle of fish. Can't think who.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 05:26:38 PM by rosewood »
                                                  Lewis Carroll

Offline KathyinBama

• Expert
« Reply #561 on: December 28, 2006, 01:45:55 PM »
No, I think Leo is too cutesy for Randy.  It needs to be a bigger guy with sweet, but not pretty, features (I think).  I am imagining some sort of cross between Aaron Eckhart and Cary Elwes.  I so enjoyed the book, I would almost be afraid to see it come to film - so many times the movie just makes you cringe when compared to the written word (although I feared that with Brokeback Mountain and was thankfully proved quite wrong).

Offline Rosewood

• Obsessed
« Reply #562 on: December 28, 2006, 02:08:19 PM »
No, I think Leo is too cutesy for Randy.  It needs to be a bigger guy with sweet, but not pretty, features (I think).  I am imagining some sort of cross between Aaron Eckhart and Cary Elwes.  I so enjoyed the book, I would almost be afraid to see it come to film - so many times the movie just makes you cringe when compared to the written word (although I feared that with Brokeback Mountain and was thankfully proved quite wrong).

Well, you're probably right, Kathy -
But who?  ;)
                                                  Lewis Carroll

Offline KathyinBama

• Expert
« Reply #563 on: December 28, 2006, 07:46:11 PM »
Oh, I think I have a good Randy - Thomas Jane.  He played Micky Mantle in *61 (a GREAT baseball movie about Roger Maris, if you haven't seen it, go rent it).  He is big and blond, sweet and definitely can play ball (at least for cameras). 

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #564 on: December 28, 2006, 07:49:28 PM »
Well...you'll all get a chance to see who they pick soon:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0763838/
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #565 on: December 28, 2006, 07:59:11 PM »
I notice IMDB still has The Frontrunner (spelled like that, not spelled The Front Runner) listed for 2007, also.  I wonder if both gay sports stories will actually be made into movies this year?
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline Rosewood

• Obsessed
« Reply #566 on: December 29, 2006, 02:24:10 PM »
I notice IMDB still has The Frontrunner (spelled like that, not spelled The Front Runner) listed for 2007, also.  I wonder if both gay sports stories will actually be made into movies this year?

Michael, terrific news on THE DREYFUS AFFAIR!
I've known for years that this would make a great film.
Now if only the casting doesn't doom it.... :)
Hopefully the money's been finalized.

Another casting thought: Brandon Frasier as Randy.
He can certainly do comedy AND if you saw GODS AND MONSTERS, he's proven he
can do serious. Actually what we really need is a very young Robert Redford type.
Sounds easy enough.
Yeah, sure.  :D

As for THE FRONT RUNNER being made in the same year...well, I suppose they both don't
have to be released at the same time. My only wish is that one doesn't cancel out the other.

I'd heard rumors years and years ago that Paul Newman, when much younger, had wanted
to do THE FRONT RUNNER, playing the coach, but was talked out of it.
                                                  Lewis Carroll

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
« Reply #567 on: December 29, 2006, 03:15:20 PM »
 Rosewood, Brendan Frasier would be a good Randy -- who for D.J.? I thought of Denzel, but might have to be someone younger now. But who?
Not just a hunk -- has to be serious -- he was more introspective than Randy.

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
« Reply #568 on: December 29, 2006, 03:18:18 PM »

Also -- I would like Robert Downey, Jr. for the reporter!
And William Devane for the baseball commissioner -- and Chris Cooper for the coach maybe?

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #569 on: December 29, 2006, 03:19:33 PM »
Michael, terrific news on THE DREYFUS AFFAIR!
I've known for years that this would make a great film.

As for THE FRONT RUNNER being made in the same year...well, I suppose they both don't
have to be released at the same time. My only wish is that one doesn't cancel out the other.

I'd heard rumors years and years ago that Paul Newman, when much younger, had wanted
to do THE FRONT RUNNER, playing the coach, but was talked out of it.

True, so true, about hoping one doesn't cancel the other out.  How much tolerance is there yet among the general movie-going audience?  I just don't know.

As for The Front Runner, I'm taking the attitude of "I'll believe it when I see it."  Although it does have a "Tag Line":
"An Olympic Love Story"

(I guess this is OT for the book thread -- sorry! -- but these books do overlap with possible movies.)
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?