The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)  (Read 961685 times)

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
Re: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)
« Reply #570 on: December 30, 2006, 01:50:04 AM »
(I guess this is OT for the book thread -- sorry! -- but these books do overlap with possible movies.)

Well...your moderator brought it up, so I wouldn't worry TOO terribly much!!!  :D :D :D

We often do the crossovers between movies and books in the individual threads, so no harm in a bit of speculation.  But yes, we could carry this over to the film threads!  They might be pretty happy to hear about this!
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #571 on: December 30, 2006, 04:50:04 AM »
(I guess this is OT for the book thread -- sorry! -- but these books do overlap with possible movies.)

Well...your moderator brought it up, so I wouldn't worry TOO terribly much!!!  :D :D :D

We often do the crossovers between movies and books in the individual threads, so no harm in a bit of speculation.  But yes, we could carry this over to the film threads!  They might be pretty happy to hear about this!

Just a note then, regarding speculation about THE FRONT RUNNER film -- there's a legitimate question about it being discussed now on the "Front Runner" book club thread, because the Harlan character is himself wondering (in "Harlan's Race") how the book which he presumably wrote, "The Front Runner," would be made into a movie. 

Take a look over on that October book club thread, if anyone wants to speculate about actors, kissing scenes, Hollywood attitudes in general, how "Brokeback Mountain" influenced the way the movie would be filmed or received, etc.  All the Front Runner sequels plus the movie are fair game over there.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 08:21:40 AM by dejavu »
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #572 on: December 30, 2006, 09:25:58 AM »

Don't think tolerance would have a lot to do with filming TDF and TFR -- in Hollywood money's the name of the game, and after the monetary success of a little indie like BBM, the Hollywood "money men" will surely take notice.  That being said, I fear that another same sex movie might come too close on the heels of BBM, and that would be too bad.  However, "Dreyfus Affair" might be more filmable, because baseball and humor are an unbeatable combination.  With the right actors, director, etc. it could be a winner.

IMO, "Front Runner" would be harder to film; script would need a lot of tightening up -- probably combining the two books: TFR and HR would work because of the denouement at the end of HR. Would also need "name" actors; there are some good meaty roles here though. God knows it's time for Hollywood to explore the gay literature genre -- every reproduction of straight classics has bombed -- maybe the "money men" will wake up, but don't expect AMPAS to.
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
« Reply #573 on: January 01, 2007, 09:19:06 PM »

I just finished "Running with Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs and its sequel "Dirt." (Thanks to Michael for mentioning the latter.)

"Scissors" is disturbing, funny, and dark. It's already been made into a movie which didn't get great reviews, I understand. "Scissors" was on the NYT best-seller list for 2 years. However, the family in "Scissors" (the Finches) is a thinly disguised version of the real life Turcotte family who filed a lawsuit in 2005 against Burroughs and the book's publisher, St. Martin, for invasion of privacy and libel. The January Vanity Fair has a lengthy, fascinating article about the whole thing.

"Dirt" is a horrendous account of the 26 year old Burroughs as an alcoholic ad man in Manhattan and his problems with addiction, holding his job, his lover, and coming to grips with it all. It's a very sad, gut-wrenching account, and I found myself pulling for Burroughs and heart-broken over his best friend who has HIV. In spite of the horrendous childhood, Burroughs suffered through in "Scissors," "Dirt" is darker and even more gut-wrenching,to me, but both books will stay with the reader for a long time.

BTW, Michael, both of these books could be likely candidates for future book club selections.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #574 on: January 01, 2007, 09:39:04 PM »
Not 'Dirt' Nikki - 'Dry' - although with 'Bad Dirt' and 'Dirt Music' I surely understand the confusion!

I liked 'Dry' better than 'Scissors' as I thought it had more to do with his own reaction to his past (and his attempts to get his life on track).

That and I just like the image of the apartment with pizza boxes and booze bottles all over the place.  It makes me feel like Martha Stewart by comparison.  ;) :D
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
« Reply #575 on: January 01, 2007, 10:08:15 PM »

Oh Michael, lol lol. I've been doing that all week mixing up Dry and Dirt -- found myself doing that last night discussing the two books with friends -- and this was BEFORE I toasted in the New Year.

Yeah, the pizza boxes and hundreds of bottles in the apartment!!

Offline sophieernie

• Expert
  • The Oscar Fan Club
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #576 on: January 02, 2007, 11:34:54 AM »
I'm a little late as usual, catching up on this thread. But I was wondering:

Does anyone remember Mary Renault's The Persian Boy? The fictionalized history of Bagoas, Alexander the Great's Persian lover/valet? It is a fantastic story, one my older sister had hanging around as part of her historical novel collection, and I read it in early adulthood, and I think this was the book that opened my eyes to love between men. There are haunting emotional undertones about duty, sacrifice, secrets, that I sensed when saw BBM the movie.
There is even an ancient castration.  Very different stories, but similiar problems with "how will people see me/us?" only in a very different social, political and chronological era. But some similiar problems of jealousy; prejudice, not getting enough from the beloved,etc.

This character appears in "Funeral Games" and I think briefly in "The Beacon At Alexandria", both post Alexander's death.

Anyway, I may reread it; just wondering if anyone else has. I haven't heard it mentioned in this forum before.
CSI

CSI,
I remember the book, have it, but haven't read it (yet).  I know the historical story of Alexander but don't think I've read the historical fiction.  I'm wondering:  why don't you suggest this to the book club as a future selection (or I will)?

That is a fine idea; I would really recommend this book; interestingly the narration is not unlike AP's; it is spare and earthy, and still manages to cross cultural boundaries via the thinking process: It is an I narration. It pulls you right in.......

You should definitely start with Fire from Heaven.  Although Renault's historical accuracies have been debated, both books are very good.  The true love of Alexander the Great's life was Hephaestion, his boyhood friend who stayed with him as one of his top ranking officers and was eventually named his second in command.  Alexander died only 3 mos after Hephaestion and his grief was so great over his friends death, many thought he had lost his mind

In the Persian Boy, Renault uses Bagoas as a literary device and IMO gives him a greater role that he probably had.  Bagoas was a eunuch from the Persian King Darius court (who Alexander defeated) and later was Alexander's sexual partner.  He did stay with Alexander until his death, but his closeness to Alexander has always been debated.  Whether he was a sex slave of the King or a trusted friend, lover and confidant, we will probably never know....

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #577 on: January 02, 2007, 12:06:12 PM »
You should definitely start with Fire from Heaven.  Although Renault's historical accuracies have been debated, both books are very good.  The true love of Alexander the Great's life was Hephaestion, his boyhood friend who stayed with him as one of his top ranking officers and was eventually named his second in command.  Alexander died only 3 mos after Hephaestion and his grief was so great over his friends death, many thought he had lost his mind

In the Persian Boy, Renault uses Bagoas as a literary device and IMO gives him a greater role that he probably had.  Bagoas was a eunuch from the Persian King Darius court (who Alexander defeated) and later was Alexander's sexual partner.  He did stay with Alexander until his death, but his closeness to Alexander has always been debated.  Whether he was a sex slave of the King or a trusted friend, lover and confidant, we will probably never know....

Thanks for the input on this!  As it is the beginning of the trilogy on Alexander I thought we should start with that if we were going to do them - and that's why I put it up as the option in the organizational thread for the book club:

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=8585.0

It would be great to have you as part of the book club if we eventually do one of these (I've posted them before and I'll post them again).

Renault did a book based in the 20th century too, didn't she?  Something about soldiers in WWI or WWII?  Did you read that?

Offline Rosewood

• Obsessed
« Reply #578 on: January 02, 2007, 12:34:52 PM »

....Renault did a book based in the 20th century too, didn't she?  Something about soldiers in WWI or WWII?  Did you read that?

THE CHARIOTEER is the book I think you mean, Michael.
I read it a few months ago because someone on here recommended it highly.
It is absolutely wonderful and would make a great Book Club selection.
"Tut, tut, child," said the Duchess.
"Everything's got a moral if only you can find it."
                                                  Lewis Carroll

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #579 on: January 02, 2007, 12:48:20 PM »

....Renault did a book based in the 20th century too, didn't she?  Something about soldiers in WWI or WWII?  Did you read that?

THE CHARIOTEER is the book I think you mean, Michael.
I read it a few months ago because someone on here recommended it highly.
It is absolutely wonderful and would make a great Book Club selection.

Yes!  That's it!  Okay - it's on the list!

Offline sophieernie

• Expert
  • The Oscar Fan Club
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #580 on: January 02, 2007, 01:19:41 PM »

Thanks for the input on this! As it is the beginning of the trilogy on Alexander I thought we should start with that if we were going to do them - and that's why I put it up as the option in the organizational thread for the book club:

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=8585.0

It would be great to have you as part of the book club if we eventually do one of these (I've posted them before and I'll post them again).

Renault did a book based in the 20th century too, didn't she? Something about soldiers in WWI or WWII? Did you read that?

They are both good books and, although her portrayl of ATG and the people in his life has been debated.  She sticks pretty closely to history and her writing style is good.  Someone above mentioned that her books lack humor, which is true, but from somone who loves historical fiction, they are a must read.

No, I have not read "The Charioteer" but I want to.  She also wrote a few books over Greek gods and Goddesses... 

Renault also wrote a semi-biography of ATG fpr those interested in that subject.  She does a much better job that Oliver Stone, no offense intended.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #581 on: January 02, 2007, 01:53:44 PM »
Renault also wrote a semi-biography of ATG fpr those interested in that subject.  She does a much better job that Oliver Stone, no offense intended.

LOL!  I don't think you'll offend anyone with that observation!  ;) :D

Ol' Oliver seemed to put Alexander's life into a blender and pick out only the bits he wanted.

In the 70s I was working at a bookstore and started a Gay & Lesbian section - Mary Renault's books were heavily featured there.  She's a pioneer in LGBT literature that often gets 'put behind' because she was writing before stonewall.  It's nice to see she has so many fans here.

Offline dback

• Obsessed
« Reply #582 on: January 02, 2007, 09:35:31 PM »
I'd also like to put in a plug for "The Catch Trap," a story about aerialists (trapeze artists), and the love affair that blooms between two young men.  I think it's by Marion Zimmer Bradley ("The Mists of Avalon").
"No reins on this one."

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #583 on: January 02, 2007, 09:38:22 PM »
I'd also like to put in a plug for "The Catch Trap," a story about aerialists (trapeze artists), and the love affair that blooms between two young men.  I think it's by Marion Zimmer Bradley ("The Mists of Avalon").

Okay!  You're the second person who has mentioned this one to me.  So it will show up on a list for the book club in the future (I predict!).

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #584 on: January 03, 2007, 11:54:35 AM »

Okay!  You're the second person who has mentioned this one to me.  So it will show up on a list for the book club in the future (I predict!).

Ooooh, I loved this one also!  It's not "literary."  And it's a bit long-winded.  But it's very engrossing.  The younger of the two somehow ends up leaving his natural family and being "adopted" into the other guy's big extended Italian family.  I liked all the characters in that big family, too.     
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 01:10:48 PM by dejavu »
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?