The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)  (Read 965929 times)

Offline Rosewood

• Obsessed
Re: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)
« Reply #645 on: January 19, 2007, 03:06:15 PM »
I'd like to strongly recommend two books I read over the holidays:

THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak
An unsettling story of death's bemusement with a young girl.
The narrator: Death.
Not as harrowing as one might think at first glance.
Beautifully written and soul stirring.
The place: just outside Munich.
The time: The blossoming of Nazi Germany.
The protagonist: a young girl given to filtching books meant for
burning, under the noses of the Nazis.
When the time comes that a Jewish man must be hidden in the family's basement,
events take on an even more life threatening cast.
I loved this book.
Everyone to whom I've recommended it to has also loved it.
This is a book that reminds you why you read fiction in the first place.

BY A SLOW RIVER by Phillipe Claudel
In a small village in France towards the end of WWI, two deaths, one a suicide
and one a murder, take place within weeks of each other.
Years later they continue to plague the retired town policeman in charge of
the two investigations. He is a pragmatic sort who, might be forgiven for
being distracted at the time, since he was also dealing with the death of
his wife in child labor.

Years later, he looks back and tells us the story.
His and the town's, both entwined with truly terrible
secrets.

This books seems well translated from the French and yes, it has doom and
gloom, but it is SO well written, I didn't mind. It is one of those books that
springs fully into your mind in varying shades of gray, black and dark, dark,
red. The secret at the end is unspeakable.
"Tut, tut, child," said the Duchess.
"Everything's got a moral if only you can find it."
                                                  Lewis Carroll

Online dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #646 on: January 19, 2007, 04:09:14 PM »
BY A SLOW RIVER sounds interesting to me.  From your mystery shelves? 
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline Rosewood

• Obsessed
« Reply #647 on: January 19, 2007, 04:20:22 PM »
BY A SLOW RIVER sounds interesting to me.  From your mystery shelves? 

Not really a mystery in the true sense of the word.
This about as far from a whodunit as you can possibly get.
Although, yes, there are mysteries involved.
More the dark mysteries of the human heart and, in this case,
the unusually gothic mysteries of the soul, I think.

As I've said, be prepared for an ending that will leave you reeling.

This is a superb book.
One of my top five of last year.
(As is THE BOOK THIEF)
As as aside, it is also one of the NY Times 100 Most Notable of 2006.
If that sort of thing matters.

If you read it, j, let me know what you think.  :)
"Tut, tut, child," said the Duchess.
"Everything's got a moral if only you can find it."
                                                  Lewis Carroll

Online dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #648 on: January 19, 2007, 05:21:41 PM »
Hi, Rosewood,

BY A SLOW RIVER -- it won't be until this summer probably, but I'll have some time then.  I do want to keep it in mind.  Thanks for posting it here.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline Kemmer

• Getting Acquainted
  • Yet, Ennis Del Mar Lives.
« Reply #649 on: January 20, 2007, 11:29:20 PM »
For mature gay readers--and even straight readers curious about the gay psyche-- (those not just after the steamy sex scenes, but just damn good stories and writing), I highly recommend Jay Quinn's The Good Neighbor and also his Back Where He Started.  I got both at amazon.com.

...And [Ennis] would wake sometimes in grief, sometimes with the old sense of joy and relief; the pillow sometimes wet, sometimes the sheets.

Offline Passion

• Cant have enough
  • Obsessed
« Reply #650 on: January 21, 2007, 12:18:36 AM »
Welcome Kemmer!  Thanks for the recommendations----I will put them on my Amazon wish list!  I have been known to be a mature reader but have to admit to you that I have also been known to read some fanfiction stories about Ennis and Jack that are pretty amazing---so I guess I do have some Slashy ways! ;) 

Has anyone read Little Children by Tom Perrotta (now a movie)?  I am just wondering if it is better to read the book before seeing the movie or vise versa?  I know it is usually better to read then watch but I was wondering if anyone has an opinion in this case?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #651 on: January 21, 2007, 10:38:45 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion Kemmer (and welcome!).

Passion, I saw 'Little Children' - I don't think you'd need to read the book beforehand - it's quite clear what is happening there.  I must admit I've gotten very interested in Perrotta since seeing the film too (he wrote 'Election' as well).
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline Passion

• Cant have enough
  • Obsessed
« Reply #652 on: January 21, 2007, 05:36:34 PM »
Passion, I saw 'Little Children' - I don't think you'd need to read the book beforehand - it's quite clear what is happening there.  I must admit I've gotten very interested in Perrotta since seeing the film too (he wrote 'Election' as well).
Thanks Michael!  I think I will do both but no worry about reading before going to see the film!

How about Children of Men by P.D. James?  I already saw the film---very good----but was wondering if the book may have made the film even better!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #653 on: January 21, 2007, 06:18:27 PM »

Thanks Michael!  I think I will do both but no worry about reading before going to see the film!

How about Children of Men by P.D. James?  I already saw the film---very good----but was wondering if the book may have made the film even better!

I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has read this as well.  I knew about the book (I seem to remember when it came out as it seemed atypical for P.D. James) and actually got chills when I saw the previews.  It really struck me as being a book that Margaret Atwood would have written instead of James.  So yes, any readers out there who have read this?
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #654 on: January 21, 2007, 09:43:22 PM »
I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has read this as well.  I knew about the book (I seem to remember when it came out as it seemed atypical for P.D. James) and actually got chills when I saw the previews.  It really struck me as being a book that Margaret Atwood would have written instead of James.  So yes, any readers out there who have read this?

I read the book quite some time ago (I think it came out in the early 90's).  I found it a compelling read but that is all I really remember  - and yes the story was more like something you would expect from Margaret Atwood.

Still haven't seen the film but hope to soon. 
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
« Reply #655 on: January 22, 2007, 12:08:41 AM »
Michaelflanagansf said
I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has read this as well.  I knew about the book (I seem to remember when it came out as it seemed atypical for P.D. James)

After reading the reviews, I didn't pick it up either.  But you know, it didn't sound so much atypical to me, as it did a continuation of a road she'd been traveling all along.  I don't like mysteries that are cutesy, or try to evoke giggles, and it's fine if they're dark - but nevertheless, I read them for fun.  And book by book, she seemed less fun; she seemed to find all her own characters distasteful.  Maybe I was just imagining it, but a feeling of something nastily judgmental crept in, something beyond the morality-tale component of a serious mystery. 

In an odd way - because their moral positions must have been quite opposed - she was showing a kind of chill detachment that I think  turned me off in Patricia Highsmith. 

But it's been a few years since I read any of James; maybe it was just a phase I was in at the time....

Offline Passion

• Cant have enough
  • Obsessed
« Reply #656 on: January 22, 2007, 10:22:28 AM »
I read the book quite some time ago (I think it came out in the early 90's).  I found it a compelling read but that is all I really remember  - and yes the story was more like something you would expect from Margaret Atwood.

Still haven't seen the film but hope to soon. 
That is exactly what I thought----it was like a Margaret Atwood story----reminded me of The Handmade's Tale---which was one of my favorite books way back when!

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #657 on: January 22, 2007, 10:39:05 AM »
That is exactly what I thought----it was like a Margaret Atwood story----reminded me of The Handmade's Tale---which was one of my favorite books way back when!

Yes, but that was a case where I liked the book a whole lot more than the movie - I hope the P.D. James book stands up as a film!

Offline Passion

• Cant have enough
  • Obsessed
« Reply #658 on: January 22, 2007, 10:47:56 AM »
Yes, but that was a case where I liked the book a whole lot more than the movie - I hope the P.D. James book stands up as a film!
I agree I didn't like the movie at all (The Handmade's Tale) but Children of Men was an excellent movie---hard to say I enjoyed it because it was dark and depressing but it also showed hope and that good human spirit will prevail!  I would like to see it again!

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #659 on: January 23, 2007, 10:25:22 AM »
This was in 'Respond to the Daily Sheet' and since Vidal is one of my favorite authors and I'm looking for non-fiction for that March list I thought I'd copy this over here (with permission, of course):

Re: polls, I'm reading Gore Vidal's memoir Palimpsest.
In April 1993, he writes:

'I have just been studying a poll that pretends to investigate the sex lives of Americans. It is wonderfully preposterous (average woman has two sexual partners - in her life), but it will be useful when the dictatorship is in place and the aberrant woman who chooses a third partner can be punished. Apparently, only 2 percent of the male population has ever had a homosexual experience. Forty-five years ago, it was 37 percent: Are Dr Kinsey's figures really off by 35 percent? Are there now entirely different "preferences" (to use a loaded political word)? Due to the fear of AIDS or to the general unattractiveness of the American male? - now the fattest on earth. Or did the Pentagon fix the poll in order to keep that now-insignificant minority "gays" - the weirdly inappropriate word used to describe a nonexistent category - from serving in the military without harassment or concealment or disgrace?

'Interestingly, all the questioners of the men were women; as a result, over 30 percent of those approached refused to participate, while the rest were obliged to lie. After all, to tell a strange woman that you had no intention of ever fucking anyone of her sex could be construed as harassment on a titanic scale, not to mention posing a grave threat to the baby supply, punishable by death in free society.

'Last year, in a book called The Day America Told the Truth, a megapoll discovered that 91 percent of our population admits to lying regularly. Of course if 91 percent were lying to the megapollsters about their propensity for lying, one is back to the oldest of recorded jokes. "All Cretans are liars," said a Cretan. True or false?'