The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)  (Read 965800 times)

Offline maidenofthesea

• Obsessed
  • Rebel Spirit
Re: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)
« Reply #675 on: February 07, 2007, 09:20:46 PM »
Has anyone here read Midddlesex? If so, I'd be really interested in discussing it. I just finished the book yesterday and my head is buzzing with all 500 something pages  :D

He made his way closer to Jack, when he passed a mirror and had to stop and comb his greasy dirty-blonde locks.

That’s one down for the good guys, Jack thought gleefully. Bye-bye evil warthog!

Offline dback

• Obsessed
« Reply #676 on: February 07, 2007, 10:51:37 PM »
I haven't visited this thread in some time ... has anyone mentioned reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy?  I read it a month ago in one sitting and can't get it out of my mind.

Lots of critics, including Stephen King, picked that as the novel of the year.  It sounds fascinating, but almost unbearably grim and heartbreaking; I dread it being added to high school reading lists.  (Classes I've taught have slogged--painfully!--through "Frankenstein" "Of Mice And Men" "The Things They Carried" "To Kill A Mockingbird" "Huckleberry Finn" "The Glass Menagerie" "Our Town" and the major Shakespeare tragedies; personally, I think adding "The Importance of Being Earnest" or another comedy might be a blessing for these kids.)
"No reins on this one."

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #677 on: February 08, 2007, 08:32:11 AM »
Has anyone here read Midddlesex? If so, I'd be really interested in discussing it. I just finished the book yesterday and my head is buzzing with all 500 something pages  :D
I read it some time ago with a RL book group and had much the same reaction - you might want to check out Your ten favourite books: http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=19645.0
Middlesex appears on more than one list
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline isa

• Expert
  • *hoop doet leven*
« Reply #678 on: February 08, 2007, 09:13:03 AM »
i am now reading the biography of natasha kampush.
i don't know if you guy's in the usa are aware of her story, but here in europe, we are all devastated by it.
she was been kidknapping at the age of 10 years and she stayed 8 years( 8 years!!!) in a sick persons' basement. she could escape, a couple of months ago, at the age of 18. her kidknapper comitted suicide.
she put it all in bookform, and voila! that's what i am reading wright now.
just before this one i have been reading the fanfic of BBM by madlori, it was fantastic, because her writing helped me a lot, to deal with the pain that i  have in me since i saw the film.

isa xxx
love is a force of nature

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #679 on: February 08, 2007, 04:06:12 PM »
i am now reading the biography of :-\.
i don't know if you guy's in the usa are aware of her story, but here in europe, we are all devastated by it.
she was been kidknapping at the age of 10 years and she stayed 8 years( 8 years!!!) in a sick persons' basement. she could escape, a couple of months ago, at the age of 18. her kidknapper comitted suicide.
she put it all in bookform, and voila! that's what i am reading wright now.
just before this one i have been reading the fanfic of BBM by madlori, it was fantastic, because her writing helped me a lot, to deal with the pain that i  have in me since i saw the film.

isa xxx

Hi isa!  I was aware of Natasha Kampusch's story, but I was unaware that she already had a book out.  How was she able to create a book so soon - hadn't she fallen behind on her reading and writing by being in such a horrible situation?

I tend to not read things of this nature - I'm a bit down on human nature generally, I don't need much help in that department.  ;) :D  However, years ago I read a fascinating book by Kate Millett entitled 'The Basement' about Sylvia Likens who was tortured to death by Gertrude Baniszewski, her children and children from the neighborhood.  If you find this sort of reading compelling I'd suggest picking that up.

We've recently had a similar case to Natasha's over in the U.S. - a young boy named Shawn Hornbeck was held captive by Michael Devlin in Missouri.  Unlike Natasha's captor Wolfgang Priklopil, however, Devlin is very much alive and has already been brought up on 71 counts in the abduction of both Shawn and another boy.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline jpq716

• Expert
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
« Reply #680 on: February 10, 2007, 10:38:43 AM »
I have just finished rereading Peter Gay’s magnificent biography, Freud: A Life for Our Time. I first read it about sixteen years ago, soon after it appeared in 1988, but I recently picked up a used copy of it, and I read it far more carefully this time. I am not a Freudian, and Gay --- for all his profound admiration of Freud --- is merciless in detailing his inconsistencies, evasions  and flaws, but oh, what a man! And Gay’s biography is perfection incarnate: in fact, the only biography that I have ever read which can rank with it is Richard Ellmann’s incomparable biography of Oscar Wilde.

Both Ellmann and Gay are highly literate men, writing for a select few in a shamelessly post-literate age. I resonate with their style, and I deeply appreciate their brilliance and wisdom, which heartens me like a warm fire on a cold winter night. When the painter Whistler took John Ruskin to court for slandering his art, the defense attorney set up one of Whistler’s Nocturnes in court and asked Whistler, contemptuously, just how long it took him to paint that picture. To which Whistler replied: “All my life.” One can say the same thing about Gay and Ellmann’s biographies: the talent, the experience and the wisdom of a lifetime went into them. And oh, how smoothly they pour into the mind, like honey! In my darker moments, I have to ask: will we ever see biographies like these again?
Albert Camus: "In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."

Offline LauraGigs

• Expert
    • My design portfolio
« Reply #681 on: February 10, 2007, 11:07:13 AM »
Hey all,

This isn't exactly a book, but I think most book-lovers would probably appreciate this:

http://www.sjsu.edu/depts/english/2006.htm

An international literary parody contest, the competition honors the memory (if not the reputation) of Victorian novelist Edward George Earl Bulwer-Lytton (1803-1873). The goal of the contest is the essence of simplicity: entrants are challenged to submit bad opening sentences to imaginary novels.

The page linked above has the 2006 "winners" in several writing categories ("Adventure", "Detective Fiction" etc.) and they're a hoot.

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #682 on: February 10, 2007, 09:47:31 PM »

Just finished Augusten Burroughs' latest -- Possible Side Effects. It's a collection of humorous essays which cover everything from his childhood to his neuroses to buying a dog with his partner.

I was very disappointed. After 'Running with Scissors' and 'Dry' I had high expectations, however my hopes were dashed -- admit I skipped a couple of essays.  Maybe he wrote this too fast in order to cash in on 'Scissors..' and 'Dry,' but I hesitate to recommend it. It's not laugh- out-loud or even chuckle-out-loud funny -- a few smiles maybe...
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

Offline annabel

• Obsessed
« Reply #683 on: February 12, 2007, 05:12:05 AM »
Right now,I'm actually re-reading a book for a local book club.  Mistic River by Dennis Lehane.  I forgot how good it was.  It was also one of those books where the movie is almost as good.

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
« Reply #684 on: February 12, 2007, 07:51:29 AM »
Right now,I'm actually re-reading a book for a local book club.  Mistic River by Dennis Lehane.  I forgot how good it was.  It was also one of those books where the movie is almost as good.

Annabel, I read most of Lehane's books and love them for their grittiness and characters. 'Mystic River' as one of his best.  The movie was wonderful with Sean Penn giving one of his great performances.  Also not to overlook Kevin Bacon who gave a thoughtful sensitive performance as well.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #685 on: February 12, 2007, 03:54:21 PM »
Just finished Augusten Burroughs' latest -- Possible Side Effects. It's a collection of humorous essays which cover everything from his childhood to his neuroses to buying a dog with his partner.

I was very disappointed. After 'Running with Scissors' and 'Dry' I had high expectations, however my hopes were dashed -- admit I skipped a couple of essays.  Maybe he wrote this too fast in order to cash in on 'Scissors..' and 'Dry,' but I hesitate to recommend it. It's not laugh- out-loud or even chuckle-out-loud funny -- a few smiles maybe...

It's very interesting to read this Nikki - I had exactly the same reaction to 'Magical Thinking' by Burroughs.  I skipped around and thought 'yep, he's lost it' in terms of holding my interest.  And I had read both 'Scissors' and 'Dry' - and I liked both of them.

Oddly enough I've felt the same way with the last few David Sedaris books I read too.  They just didn't strike me the way 'Naked' or 'Barrel Fever' did.  Perhaps the same sort of burn out on autobiographical narrative is at work there too.  I listened to 'Me Talk Pretty One Day' while driving through Death Valley a couple of springtimes ago and it made me smile and maybe chuckle - but it was nowhere near the laugh out loud funny of the earlier ones.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
« Reply #686 on: February 12, 2007, 05:55:55 PM »

It's very interesting to read this Nikki - I had exactly the same reaction to 'Magical Thinking' by Burroughs.  I skipped around and thought 'yep, he's lost it' in terms of holding my interest.  And I had read both 'Scissors' and 'Dry' - and I liked both of them.

Oddly enough I've felt the same way with the last few David Sedaris books I read too.  They just didn't strike me the way 'Naked' or 'Barrel Fever' did.  Perhaps the same sort of burn out on autobiographical narrative is at work there too.  I listened to 'Me Talk Pretty One Day' while driving through Death Valley a couple of springtimes ago and it made me smile and maybe chuckle - but it was nowhere near the laugh out loud funny of the earlier ones.

Michael, I guess writing humor and being a humorist or two mighty different things.

---------

Just when I was going to look for some Sedaris u shoot my plane out of the sky!! But if I do read maybe one or two, which would you recommend?

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #687 on: February 12, 2007, 06:57:16 PM »
Michael, I guess writing humor and being a humorist or two mighty different things.

---------

Just when I was going to look for some Sedaris u shoot my plane out of the sky!! But if I do read maybe one or two, which would you recommend?

Well - 'Barrel Fever' has 'The Santaland Diaries' in it - which is one of the few things that I've read that made me laugh so hard that I cried.  And 'Naked' has 'Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out' which is about his Greek grandmother and her relationship to his mother (she always referred to her daughter in law as 'the girl').  They are both truly funny and often touching too.

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
« Reply #688 on: February 12, 2007, 07:22:16 PM »

---------

Well - 'Barrel Fever' has 'The Santaland Diaries' in it - which is one of the few things that I've read that made me laugh so hard that I cried.  And 'Naked' has 'Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out' which is about his Greek grandmother and her relationship to his mother (she always referred to her daughter in law as 'the girl').  They are both truly funny and often touching too.

Okay, thanks Michael. Will check them out next time.

Offline KathyinBama

• Expert
« Reply #689 on: February 13, 2007, 05:22:16 PM »
Oh, and if you want to listen to some terrrific Sedaris (and really, he is better when heard), get his Carnegie Hall cd.  You will laugh your head off!