The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: How Brokeback Affected Me--continued  (Read 492182 times)

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
  • Footsteps in my life....leave memories in my heart
Re: How Brokeback Affected Me--continued
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2007, 07:23:18 PM »

<snip>

So that's what I wanted to tell you.  I'm putting this here because if it reaches just one other person, and changes just one more child's life, the effort will be worthwhile (and so will my taking up all this room for one post!).

You people are all great, thanks for being here - for me, for each other. 

So glad you did...I remember this...you told us this a while ago?...so glad you did again,because it's something not to be forgotten...and I hope that it will reach people,for the newbies or for whomever!!  It warms the heart and keeps the spirit strong...Hugs to you!!

Nellie
RICKY MARTIN ,tu eres mi Kiki !

Offline quithammerin

• Expert
  • We'll lick this damn ranch into shape
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2007, 07:29:26 PM »
Hugs to you, too!!   It wasn't me who put this up before,  but the story itself was on the Gay & Christian thread. (It was Osprey's post, I'm sure he won't mind if I say that)   Had me in tears for days, and I just had to do something about it.
"This happen a other people?  What the hell do they do?"  -  Ennis Del Mar

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2007, 07:30:48 PM »

Thanks Nellie, for your kind words.

Nikki
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2007, 07:32:22 PM »
Hugs to you, too!!   It wasn't me who put this up before,  but the story itself was on the Gay & Christian thread. (It was Osprey's post, I'm sure he won't mind if I say that)   Had me in tears for days, and I just had to do something about it.

THAT"S where I heard it!!...oh I'm sure he won't mind...it brought tears to my eyes as well and so glad you acted on it...you're sweet and thanks for thinking of all of us....

I love this thread!!  ;D

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2007, 07:33:45 PM »

Thanks Nellie, for your kind words.

Nikki

;D ;D  :-*

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2007, 07:54:28 PM »

The process continues....

Jonathan

Jonathan, this simple statement grabbed me...that is what dear Michael was talking about in his MAGNIFICENT post.  (Thank you, darling Michael.)

This is what we all are trying to deal with...the process continues...life continues... WE continue....don't we? 

-Jackie
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
Re: Sudden turn of events yesterday
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 08:04:59 PM »

She's called my bluff and set me 'free' with genuine goodwill, but why do I feel so afraid even thinking about realising my personal 'brokeback'? I've buried my feelings for so long now, I have difficulty contemplating my needs without feeling guilty.

I'd love some good advice from anyone who's going through the same :(

Andy   
Andy...darling...like tellyouwhat, I have not gone through what you must now deal with, but...

I, too, buried real feelings for so long that I forgot what they were.  Is that what you fear?  Not really uinderstanding what you are entitled to as a human being?  What you are entitled to...kind of scary, isn't it, honey?  For you ARE entitled to live the authentic life that you are meant to live...and it IS frightening, especially when you have never known that option.  But, now that option is yours, and you ARE entitled to it, and you have a right to it, and it is not easy.  So, don't push yourself, don't rush to anything.  Savor this moment, honey.  Think about the possibilities with wonder and joy, not guilt.  The wonderful woman you married may understand you more than you understand yourself right now...and that is ok...the great thing is that there are no deadlines, no limits, no anything, but the time you need to find what is good for you...and it will come, friend, it will come...let it come when and as it will...don't force anything.  And in the meantime, you have us, your Brokeback family.  We will hold you, and sustain you, and care for you...I'm glad you are here, Andy. 

-Jackie
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline neatfreak

• Expert
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2007, 09:10:39 PM »
After being punched in the gut by BBM, and nurtured and inspired by this forum, I've done 4 stints of public speaking, a death-defying act for me.  The place was my church, and the topic was making my church a safe and truly welcoming place for GLBT folks.  One presentation was specifically based on one of the posts on this forum, and could easily be adapted to temple, synagogue, monthly meeting....I hope you consider passing it on to someone who might take this story to a group of people you know.

{snip}

I'm putting this here because if it reaches just one other person, and changes just one more child's life, the effort will be worthwhile...

I "road-tested" this message in a Sunday School lesson to elementary children (just the children's portion). The children were engaged in the story and their responses afterward showed that it really struck home for many of them. I think this is a beautiful example of the "ripples" set in motion when BBM was first written. Quithammerin, you continue to widen the scope of its effect, and I salute you. Thank you for risking your own discomfort to get the message out!
Be the change you wish to see in the world.  - Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
  • Ten Year Forum Member. Do I get a pin?
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2007, 10:01:45 PM »
AWT- Andy...

I lived all of my life until I hit 46 as a closeted gay man.

I've had many relationships through the years, most with women, only one with a man, (aside from Nick), 'cause I grew up in a rather "religious" family who I knew would never accept me as I was.

I also grew up in a broken home. My parents divorced when I was six. Dad remarried, Mom never did. I lived with Mom. Never really knowing what a healthy and loving relationship was all about.

Remain close to your children, no matter what, 'cause what you show them through your example will set them up for life. Continue a friendly and caring relationship with their mother while living a mature and healthy one with the man you eventually become one with.

Whatever happens with your life, and the life of your children and wife, know that there are many here supporting you along the way, cheering you on.

Rob
Old Brokeback got me good...

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2007, 10:04:41 PM »
Michael...

Mikey...

Your words are wise and make me happy to consider you a friend,

Hugs, bud, know that I'm thinking of you and looking forward to your upcoming visit!

Boo

(PS Avoid Enumclaw and Spanaway.)

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2007, 10:08:44 PM »
Nellie,

I'm overjoyed seeing your avatar back! It brought smiles over a year ago, is bringing them back now!

Love and hugs,

Missing you,

Rob

Offline quithammerin

• Expert
  • We'll lick this damn ranch into shape
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2007, 10:18:12 PM »

.... and have learned and been captivated by the heartbreak, problems, confusion, and optimism of so many, many posters.  Their courage in many cases puts me to shame as a straight female.  I have never and will never have the experiences written about here; I will never have to show such courage by having to walk away from family or siblings; I will never have to leave a spouse because I lived a lie; most of all I will never have to face my children and tell them I am a gay man or woman.  Those who have had to do so have my profoundest praise and gratitude.  Praise for your courage, and gratitude for showing me another side of humanity. You all have filled me with humility. 

Well, that's it -- not much to offer -- except to say that I will be with everyone here in spirit who is struggling to make a life, to change a life, to follow their dream, and to find love in whatever form it takes, and on whatever terms it takes. 

um, may not seem like much to offer, but I just read this now, and it's terrific - speaks to me, anyway, especially the bolded parts,  because it's where I am, too.  Sums up the last year of my life, actually....thanks for putting it so well.
"This happen a other people?  What the hell do they do?"  -  Ennis Del Mar

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2007, 10:35:15 PM »
Michael...

Mikey...

Your words are wise and make me happy to consider you a friend,

Hugs, bud, know that I'm thinking of you and looking forward to your upcoming visit!

Boo

(PS Avoid Enumclaw and Spanaway.)

Thanks Rob...much love to you too!  :-*

(I'm allergic to dander - I think I'm safe.... ;))
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2007, 10:45:37 PM »
Michael, congratulations on your 10,000th post! You are so garrulous! It's a good thing you're also so articulate. With any luck I may soon break 30! (Of course I've been kind of busy behind the scenes.  ;)

Yes, the Brokeback phenomenon for me has also been a call to be more engaged in living, a call to leave the trailer behind. I'm glad that we are close enough together geographically to do some of that together.

One of the things that I have been impelled to do is to become more involved politically. I have been invited to become part of a coordinating committee for a progressive organization, and I've decided to jump into it. This is pretty radical for somebody who's been essentially alienated from the American political process since the Democratic convention of 1968. But I'm just not going to take it any more.
The process continues....

Jonathan

Jonathan, this is fabulous!
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2007, 11:28:57 PM »

quithammerin, thanks so much for your kind words.  If I touched you in any way, I am privileged and honored.

Nikki
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!