The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: How Brokeback Affected Me--continued  (Read 817960 times)

Offline Bobby19in1963

• Bright Rainbow Star
  • Obsessed
Re: How Brokeback Affected Me--continued
« Reply #360 on: October 10, 2007, 01:07:14 PM »
Hi! All:

I can hardly see the screen from the tears in my eyes.  I've only been here since Feb 6, 2006, so I still consider myself a Newbie of the Oldies!  Settle down, this may be a long post, because the past two years since Brokeback came out have been a roller coaster for me.  I want you newer poster/lurkers to know that without this Forum my life ... well, it might have been over, and that's as drastic as it gets.  But with the Forum watching my back all this time, I am coming out of this thing smelling like a rose...well, at least when people hug me they say, "Hmmm...you smell good!"  A gift of cologne from a fellow Arizona Brokie, back when I couldn't believe anyone would give me a gift so nice.

I just felt drawn here today to write my appreciation for Paintedshoes and all those who befriended, loved, mothered, sistered and brothered me through the crisis that is Brokeback Mountain in many lives.

I'm the 62-year-old, Mormon, married 42+ years guy who came here hoping to save it all and have now found out I can't.  I'm separated from my wife, but remain on speaking terms with her, estranged from my church, and in an uneasy truce with my children.  Thousands of acquaintances and friends are now on the outside of my life, but the good news is I am building a new life in the gay community, found a good new church, Gentle Shepherd Metropolitan Community Church in Phoenix, and now that I've come through the 'valley of the shadow' of depression and have arrived on the other side, loving every minute of it these days.

Let's just run down this last few days.  Phoenix just celebrated its yearly Rainbows Festival and I attended, along with 25,000 others, the two days of festivities.  I worked with fellow members of my new church in our booth, and helped staff the Budweiser Beer Wagon (for tips for our Church's General Fund).  On the table in our booth, and the thing I talked most about, were flyers for our book, Beyond Brokeback.  People are still amazed and wide eyed when they see that we've written a book...it has affected so many the numbers are astronomical in the gay community...almost everyone I've met has a story.

First, I cannot tell you how overwhelmed I was by the emotion of feeling like I had come 'HOME!'  The thousands of people at the Festival that streamed by our booth ... I just felt so connected with every individualistic one of them.  Big ones, fat ones, tall ones, skinny ones...you know the saying...I was just so thankful to be in the 'in' crowd now.  I didn't identify with many of them, but I identified with the fact that they were out and proud of every bit of individuality they could muster.

Funny thing happened...this young man walked by with what I thought were white panties of some kind, and nothing else but his bronze skin and a big smile.  I grinned and turned to a co-worker and in amazement said I guess you can do whatever here and no one seems to raise an eyebrow.  Did you see that guy?  I think all he had on was his underwear!  She said, what did you think of his cowboy hat, to which I replied, "What cowboy hat!?!"  My face turned all shades of red!  We laughed everytime we thought of that for hours!  Poor Bobby's first real time "OUT!"  What a hoot!

Monday afternoon I went to an appointment with my therapist and wore my Rainbows Festival 2007 T-Shirt and we rejoiced in the changes a year and a half can make.  I was bubbly and happy and he was the same for me.  He has been a good source of information and hope and advice for me.  He's always reminding me that I'm on the right track and not just following that thing that dangles between my legs.

After seeing him I met with my pastor to talk about an offer from the Editor of our paper to write something concerning the candidacy of Mitt Romney for President and the Mormon Church's stand on gays.  (BTW- According to them I am to live a celibate life without companionship to prove to the Lord that I am worthy of the Celestial Kingdom, 'when all things will be understood.'  As my grandson says, "I don't THINK so, Grandpa!")  After awhile we decided that I am doing so well at this time that I don't need to do anything in the paper as far as an editorial.

Last night I went to the theater with a fellow church member who invited me to a First Rehearsal Party for the play, The Pursuit of Happiness, which opens next week.  I've never done anything like that before and it was amazing.  The Producer, Director, Cast and support staff all sat in chairs at the front of the stage and talked to us about the playwrite and the play.  They did a ten minute skit or scene, and then we had a question and answer session.  After that we had food from the Big Fat Greek Restaurant across the street, catered, and mingled with cast and crew.  It was just fun!  My frend and I sat with a couple he knew who had been together 13 years now...one partner had been married for 17 years and had children and grandchildren, so we could relate well to each other.  When I took my friend home he invited me to go with him to the Tucson Pride event this weekend (We have ours in the cooler months of the year so we don't kill a lot of people with the heat!)

Saturday morning I came out to my sister-in-law who said she and her husband were gay rights activists on a small scale, walking in marches, etc.  I'm sorry I waited so long to tell them.

I write this to just say that I think I've moved to a much better place in my life.  I'm positive.  I've gained a few pounds but have a plan to get it off again, but still have a total loss with Brokeback of 60 lbs., which ain't small potatoes.

Speaking to the pain of the movie...it is there...I think when I stop and concentrate on how I felt when I first wallowed in its message the pain returns and helps guide me to do more with my life.  I want to and will find someone to share it with, as I get my act together a little more.  The people here and in my church are wonderful friends and perhaps I'll click with someone.  My therapist reminded me that since I'm taking good care of myself, I could live 30 more years...Whoa!  But his point was, no one knows what can happen, so just get prepared and live a good life and expect the unexpected!

Life really is good!

Love ya'll,

Bobby
A love that will NEVER grow old....

Offline richchan

• Expert
  • In the sun that is young once only
« Reply #361 on: October 10, 2007, 01:48:44 PM »
Bobby19in1963

Your post is fantastic! I can't say how pleased it makes me to see that you've managed to navigate through what must have been some very turbulant times and come out on top!!

Congratulations

Richchan
I sang in my chains like the sea

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
« Reply #362 on: October 10, 2007, 02:03:03 PM »
I'm always pleased when someone who has undergone major changes because of the film tells their tale again here because I like to think there are new lurkers among the old ones who haven't heard it before. The smoochy huggy love fests are fine but I like posts with a bit of meat. Um, I mean.. heh heh — god, this place has totally screwed up my vocabulary.  ::) ;D

Offline john john

• Obsessed
  • Ennis, admit it,you're falling in love.
« Reply #363 on: October 10, 2007, 02:09:59 PM »
Bobby!! I'm so happy for you.
What wonders honesty perseverance and determination can do!!

((((hug)))))

Having to hide your love is denying it.

Offline Bobby19in1963

• Bright Rainbow Star
  • Obsessed
« Reply #364 on: October 10, 2007, 02:41:46 PM »
One challenge is that I'm getting so busy it's hard to even keep up with my Lovesick Diet thread!

Oh, BTW, my new church is going to launch a campaign in Arizona around Super Bowl time entitled...Would Jesus Discriminate?  They did a wonderful job in Indianapolis and had a 16% positive change in attitudes among those surveyed after the campaign.  It's fun to be in an activist church.  We have a gay and a lesbian co-pastors.  They are a hoot! on Sunday.  Rev. Brad said, "What was special about Robin Hood?" as it fit into a part of his sermon.  From the congregation someone yelled out, 'He wore tights!'  That's my kinda church!

If anyone's intersted in a WJD T-Shirt, let me know in a PM and we'll figure out how to get one to you.  At least I hope we can.  That reminds me, we have to work something out to sell them on our website.  http://gsmcc.org.  We're selling them to raise money for the campaign.

Thanx! for the comments everyone.  They always feel good.

Bobby
A love that will NEVER grow old....

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
  • Ten Year Forum Member. Do I get a pin?
« Reply #365 on: October 10, 2007, 05:33:29 PM »
A long time ago a song was recorded that hit me... then along came our movie. Brokeback Mountain affected me like nothing else ever had or has.

This video reminded me pains at the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18-UpudYVkM

Today I have Nick. A long distance relationship kept alive through text messages and live video chat on Skype. In less than a week Nick will be arriving for another visit, always too short, this time for 15 days...

My life has changed so much because of our movie!
Old Brokeback got me good...

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #366 on: October 10, 2007, 07:57:47 PM »
Never enough time, never enough. Bless you, Rob & Nick.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #367 on: October 10, 2007, 08:22:05 PM »
The smoochy huggy love fests are fine but I like posts with a bit of meat.
whut she said^^  :)
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #368 on: October 10, 2007, 09:04:16 PM »
okay, i haven't entirely gone silent or gone away, but i have opted to not keep interjecting myself into threads in which i have long since had my say.  usually, if someone says something that strikes a chord in me, i just send a PM and support others that way.

i have been posting in this forum since december 26 '05, and before that in dave's salon blog BBM comments thread (and what a story that is).  in fact, october  30th will mark my 2 year anniversary of entering this conversation.  through all of the ups and downs, disappointments and disagreements, threats and hugs, i am still here, more subdued perhaps. but here.

my 24 year experience of a recovery from alcoholism, and by extention, madness;  gave me a pretty good idea of what people might be feeling and needing when they got to this forum.  to be sure much of the allure was the horse race of awards season, and/or the hunkitude of the lead actors, but something much more was afoot.  somehow, this story, and far more so this film, triggered a mass reaction in those of us with broken souls, including many of us who didn't even realize we were broken.  for myself, for all of the great distance i had travelled emotionally in sobriety, a sad resignation had become my refuge.  i had made a commitment to take my "revenge" on society at large, by living my remaining years as comfortably, in spite of my financial and social status, as i could possibly manage, and accept the solitude amongst nonexistent peers with as much grace and gratitude as i could muster.

in this forum, i found the gay family i had never, in all those years, through all that sturm and drang, seemed to acquire.  of straight friends or womenfolk i had no shortage of intimates, but i felt a great deal like that mastodon in that "ïce age" movie, the last of my kind.  while i only had a couple of brief exploratory flirtations here that fizzled quite quickly, i have made friends, both gay and straight, male and female, enough to last a lifetime.  best of all, many of them are, like me, gay men "of a certain age", others younger and older, but all searching.  i have never felt more a part of something in my life, even in AA.

here's my salute to my friends, and my love to those wonderful peers.  and here's to those just arriving, especially those far flung men just now creeping out of their rural or not-so-rural closets.  come out, come out, the weather may be turbulent, but the fresh air is beyond invigorating.

love,

jack   
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 10:14:38 PM by jack »
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #369 on: October 10, 2007, 10:56:11 PM »
Bobby, darling,

"I can hardly see the screen for the tears in my eyes..." 

I am smiling, too, dear heart, to read of the successes you have achieved as you have come to truly believe in yourself and DO what you needed to make that belief a reality.  Jeez, I wish I could give you a hug right now, friend!  (((((((((((((((Bobby))))))))))))))))

Just look at the HOPE you have given and are giving, every day, to those who need so desperately to believe that change for the better CAN happen....

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #370 on: October 10, 2007, 10:57:49 PM »

Today I have Nick. A long distance relationship kept alive through text messages and live video chat on Skype. In less than a week Nick will be arriving for another visit, always too short, this time for 15 days...

My life has changed so much because of our movie!
And the love that you two share, darling Rob and Nick, is an inspiration for everyone. 
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline dahlia

• lonewolf
  • Obsessed
  • Oändligt är vårt stora äventyr
« Reply #371 on: October 11, 2007, 01:12:38 AM »

This was thirty years ago and I am not all like this now, it is only a part of me.
I now reached the age my mother was when I was having a hard time.  Although I do not have any kids,
I know I would never ever do things she did or did not do to any child, and it kind of makes me mad. >:(

Hi Rei thanks for your heartfelt posts!

I, for sure, did not have such a sad childhood, yet I remember many a bitter day! (and I always fight with people who claim that childhood and adolescence are the blissful times of your life! Im much better NOW!!)

I am a mother of 2 young kids, and I fight everyday to avoid the mistakes that my parents made. It aint easy! At all. It's a never-ending trial-and-error process. I expect much pain, doubts, frustration.....and hopefully, to achieve some good results in the end.

Many of the things I read here help (I think) to give me insights and useful thoughts. And I thank you all.

Offline ayuni

• Experienced
  • The Madame of Swing....Mood Swings...
« Reply #372 on: October 11, 2007, 01:13:42 AM »
One challenge is that I'm getting so busy it's hard to even keep up with my Lovesick Diet thread!

Oh, BTW, my new church is going to launch a campaign in Arizona around Super Bowl time entitled...Would Jesus Discriminate?  They did a wonderful job in Indianapolis and had a 16% positive change in attitudes among those surveyed after the campaign.  It's fun to be in an activist church.  We have a gay and a lesbian co-pastors.  They are a hoot! on Sunday.  Rev. Brad said, "What was special about Robin Hood?" as it fit into a part of his sermon.  From the congregation someone yelled out, 'He wore tights!'  That's my kinda church!

If anyone's intersted in a WJD T-Shirt, let me know in a PM and we'll figure out how to get one to you.  At least I hope we can.  That reminds me, we have to work something out to sell them on our website.  http://gsmcc.org.  We're selling them to raise money for the campaign.

Thanx! for the comments everyone.  They always feel good.

Bobby

Bobby thank you for sharing. True inspiration!
Paintedshoes and others: thanks so much for your warm welcome

Offline dahlia

• lonewolf
  • Obsessed
  • Oändligt är vårt stora äventyr
« Reply #373 on: October 11, 2007, 01:29:17 AM »
Hi Ayuni I wish to welcome you too!

And this is my 300th!!!! I never thought I'd made it! RL is so demanding!

Just to celebrate, I've thrown away my old avatar (the dahlia flower) and put my own pic.

And this is just another thing I thought I'd never do! Put MY face in a public forum??? Telling intimate things about my life? And recognize that I so much need to feel love and affection from total strangers?? Share my feelings in public?? Admitting that I envy those of you who actually met, while I'm so far away from most of you, and so stuck up with my daily life - work, kids and so on - that it'd be almost impossible for me to think of doing the same? NEVER!!!!!

OK, I've done it. I so much need your love and affection.

It almost feels like a mini coming out LOL!!!!

Love to all of you

Offline ayuni

• Experienced
  • The Madame of Swing....Mood Swings...
« Reply #374 on: October 11, 2007, 01:41:59 AM »
wow big step there Dahlia, good for you!
I know the feeling. I was once very very active in a parenting forum. I organized get togethers and I was very well known in the crowd. It took awhile to get there but it felt great. I felt I was surrounded with lovely people with the same feelings and questions I had. Forums are a very powerful source for support, I and see that this forum is no exception. I was brought to tears more than once  just by reading about the interactions that went on here and still are going on.

I too am very far away, Israel, and I don't have anyone here to share my feelings with. I also think that watching the film with translations, you loose the powerfulness words in the translation. Maybe that's why there aren't many Brokies around here.