The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: How Brokeback Affected Me--continued  (Read 818091 times)

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
Re: How Brokeback Affected Me--continued
« Reply #375 on: October 11, 2007, 01:47:57 AM »
And this is my 300th!!!! I never thought I'd made it! RL is so demanding!

Just to celebrate, I've thrown away my old avatar (the dahlia flower) and put my own pic.

grazie dahlia!  It's great to see you!
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #376 on: October 11, 2007, 01:51:47 AM »
I too am very far away, Israel, and I don't have anyone here to share my feelings with. I also think that watching the film with translations, you loose the powerfulness words in the translation. Maybe that's why there aren't many Brokies around here.

Ayuni, I don't know if you are aware but several of us are planning on getting together in the UK next summer.  The thread is here:

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=20185.0

Aside from that the next closest brokies to you (that I can think of) are in Greece.

Welcome!
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline ayuni

• Experienced
  • The Madame of Swing....Mood Swings...
« Reply #377 on: October 11, 2007, 02:00:11 AM »
yes I know, thank you :)

I am actually planning a trip to the UK sometime. I've never been to London. I'd love a weekend away but I plan to do so when... well... when Coldplay (my other obsession) schedule a concert.  ;)

Offline desertrat

• Sunflower
  • Obsessed
  • No angel ;-)
« Reply #378 on: October 11, 2007, 02:17:55 AM »
Bobby - i'm SO happy for you ! you sound so different nowadays from the person who first joined, so desperate and sad. your life has just begun now... ;)

dahlia - nice to SEE you !  ;)

ayuni - welcome to this place !
Minds are like parachutes... they both work better when opened.

Offline Trigger Hippie

• nnln nlnn
  • Obsessed
  • Rob - você é minha vida
« Reply #379 on: October 11, 2007, 06:42:02 AM »
okay, i haven't entirely gone silent or gone away, but i have opted to not keep interjecting myself into threads in which i have long since had my say.  usually, if someone says something that strikes a chord in me, i just send a PM and support others that way.

i have been posting in this forum since december 26 '05, and before that in dave's salon blog BBM comments thread (and what a story that is).  in fact, october  30th will mark my 2 year anniversary of entering this conversation.  through all of the ups and downs, disappointments and disagreements, threats and hugs, i am still here, more subdued perhaps. but here.

my 24 year experience of a recovery from alcoholism, and by extention, madness;  gave me a pretty good idea of what people might be feeling and needing when they got to this forum.  to be sure much of the allure was the horse race of awards season, and/or the hunkitude of the lead actors, but something much more was afoot.  somehow, this story, and far more so this film, triggered a mass reaction in those of us with broken souls, including many of us who didn't even realize we were broken.  for myself, for all of the great distance i had travelled emotionally in sobriety, a sad resignation had become my refuge.  i had made a commitment to take my "revenge" on society at large, by living my remaining years as comfortably, in spite of my financial and social status, as i could possibly manage, and accept the solitude amongst nonexistent peers with as much grace and gratitude as i could muster.

in this forum, i found the gay family i had never, in all those years, through all that sturm and drang, seemed to acquire.  of straight friends or womenfolk i had no shortage of intimates, but i felt a great deal like that mastodon in that "ïce age" movie, the last of my kind.  while i only had a couple of brief exploratory flirtations here that fizzled quite quickly, i have made friends, both gay and straight, male and female, enough to last a lifetime.  best of all, many of them are, like me, gay men "of a certain age", others younger and older, but all searching.  i have never felt more a part of something in my life, even in AA.

here's my salute to my friends, and my love to those wonderful peers.  and here's to those just arriving, especially those far flung men just now creeping out of their rural or not-so-rural closets.  come out, come out, the weather may be turbulent, but the fresh air is beyond invigorating.

love,

jack   

Hugs Jack :)

but did you say you had recovered from madness. I beg to differ! You are as crazy cranky as ever, just how we like you.

:-*

Offline Trigger Hippie

• nnln nlnn
  • Obsessed
  • Rob - você é minha vida
« Reply #380 on: October 11, 2007, 06:44:28 AM »
Hi Ayuni I wish to welcome you too!

Just to celebrate, I've thrown away my old avatar (the dahlia flower) and put my own pic.

And this is just another thing I thought I'd never do! Put MY face in a public forum??? Telling intimate things about my life? And recognize that I so much need to feel love and affection from total strangers?? Share my feelings in public?? Admitting that I envy those of you who actually met, while I'm so far away from most of you, and so stuck up with my daily life - work, kids and so on - that it'd be almost impossible for me to think of doing the same? NEVER!!!!!

OK, I've done it. I so much need your love and affection.

It almost feels like a mini coming out LOL!!!!

Love to all of you

Well after all this time Honey, it is nice to see you.

Hugs

Nick

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #381 on: October 11, 2007, 07:00:22 AM »
Dahlia, so good to see you!!!  Thank you!!!

ayuni, thanks for continuing to post, I'm glad you are here!

and Jack, some things bear repeating!   ;D

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #382 on: October 11, 2007, 07:43:15 AM »

Hugs Jack :)

but did you say you had recovered from madness. I beg to differ! You are as crazy cranky as ever, just how we like you.

:-*
says one cranky mastadon to the other... :P :-*
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #383 on: October 11, 2007, 08:34:25 AM »
Hi Ayuni I wish to welcome you too!

And this is just another thing I thought I'd never do! Put MY face in a public forum??? Telling intimate things about my life? And recognize that I so much need to feel love and affection from total strangers?? Share my feelings in public?? Admitting that I envy those of you who actually met, while I'm so far away from most of you, and so stuck up with my daily life - work, kids and so on - that it'd be almost impossible for me to think of doing the same? NEVER!!!!!

OK, I've done it. I so much need your love and affection.

It almost feels like a mini coming out LOL!!!!

Love to all of you
Dahlia!  You are so beautiful!  Thank you for sharing yourself like this...yes, it is a HUGE step to open up, isn't it?  If someone had told me two years ago that I'd be doing this, I would have said they were nuts!   :D  As for not ever meeting any of us?  Read my sig line, the quote from Boris.  He wrote that to me in a pm last year, just after finding that he WOULD be meeting many of us in Texas.  His words were and ARE true.  "Miracles do happen."  In the meantime, sharing feelings, needs, ideas, pain, joy, frustrations....all these things have made life more bearable, in some cases new, for a lot of us here. You ARE loved, Dahlia, for your courage in being here, in opening up, for being the lovely person you are.   :-* :-* :-* :-*

-Jackie
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
« Reply #384 on: October 11, 2007, 08:46:23 AM »
yes I know, thank you :)

I am actually planning a trip to the UK sometime. I've never been to London. I'd love a weekend away but I plan to do so when... well... when Coldplay (my other obsession) schedule a concert.  ;)
LOL....so we just have to arrange for them to be in Oxford in June next year, right?   ;)
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad

Offline Bobby19in1963

• Bright Rainbow Star
  • Obsessed
« Reply #385 on: October 11, 2007, 09:00:59 AM »
Interesting...I couldn't go to San Antonio, and I couldn't go to Estes Park, and I've missed every other get together within the borders of our wonderful nation...but wonder of wonders I'm planning to go to Oxford, England for my first out-of-state get together!

Bobby
A love that will NEVER grow old....

Offline JohnnyX

• Experienced
  • LOVE is indeed a force of nature.
« Reply #386 on: October 11, 2007, 09:01:07 AM »
Hi! All:
I just felt drawn here today to write my appreciation for Paintedshoes and all those who befriended, loved, mothered, sistered and brothered me through the crisis that is Brokeback Mountain in many lives.
Life really is good!

Love ya'll,

Bobby

Hello Bobby!
Woohee!! Thanks for that posting, giving not only your history, but also your present.
And what a lovely "present" or gift that posting will be to so many on here, who can use you and your story as an inspiration in their own lives.

Great to see you posting back in here. Please keep returning to provide us with more updates.
Best wishes: JohnnyX.

AND to all of our other recent posters and new arrivals: welcome and welcome back. How nice it is to read updates here. Please keep coming back to us.  bye for now. J.
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

The happiest people don't have the best of everything.  They just make the best of everything. 

Jack & Ennis DID make the best of their situations. For 20 glorious years! Don't forget those 20 years of LOVE!

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
« Reply #387 on: October 11, 2007, 09:06:02 AM »
Interesting...I couldn't go to San Antonio, and I couldn't go to Estes Park, and I've missed every other get together within the borders of our wonderful nation...but wonder of wonders I'm planning to go to Oxford, England for my first out-of-state get together!

Bobby
Yeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline conny

• seagirl
  • Obsessed
    • forthejoyoflife
« Reply #388 on: October 11, 2007, 09:54:36 AM »
dahlia good to see you hon  :)

and wow bobby your life is going great!!
"we are one,but we are not the same"   U2

Offline dahlia

• lonewolf
  • Obsessed
  • Oändligt är vårt stora äventyr
« Reply #389 on: October 12, 2007, 01:07:29 AM »
(((((Ayuni... Nick.....Martina.... Michael.... Jackie... Conny... CellarDweller.... and Jack.....and all of you guys.......))))))

Yes miracles DO happen! YOU are a miracle, thank you.