The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: How Brokeback Affected Me--continued  (Read 818114 times)

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
Re: How Brokeback Affected Me--continued
« Reply #450 on: October 14, 2007, 03:21:00 AM »
Thank you guys.

I think part of what I'm feeling today is a little homesickness for Michigan.

Maybe because it's such a hassle to go shopping around here because of the traffic. It's like everything is crowded around Highway 101, and everyone for 50 miles around wants to go to the same few shopping centers.

Understood John!
I am often homesick for manhattan. You do get over it with time. Call whenever you want, I misplaced your number and besides, am TERRIBLE when it comes to calling people....
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe but nothing could be done about it, & if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #451 on: October 14, 2007, 10:42:37 AM »
New members will probably want to check out the archived threads. especially this one:

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=101.0

Offline jstephens9

• Experienced
  • It could be like this.........
« Reply #452 on: October 14, 2007, 10:49:33 AM »
I am often homesick for manhattan. You do get over it with time. Call whenever you want, I misplaced your number and besides, am TERRIBLE when it comes to calling people....

Jack, I can imagine you do homesick for Manhattan sometimes. I think that would be very understandable since it is a great place. However, Denver is also a great place. It is a lot different for sure, but still nice. One thing I found out during my trips this summer is that there really is no way to compare New York City, Denver and San Francisco. They are all so much different from each other. I know when I got to SF I started trying to draw comparisons between it and NYC. I liked it a whole lot better when I figured out there was not a good way of comparing the two. They are each unique as is Denver and Wyoming as well. I'm sure Michigan is the same. Unfortunately all I got to see of Michigan was a whole lot of lights in Detroit. It was dark there by the time the plane landed. I saw a little more of the Minneapolis area which looks nice, but it is also very cold in the winter.
"You believed it was wrong. But that kind of thing comes along once in a lifetime and you gotta hold on, or you'll lose it."

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #453 on: October 14, 2007, 10:54:42 AM »
Thanks jack

I get homesick for Manhattan too sometimes, even though I never lived in the city. I always considered Long Branch to be a suburb and I spent a lot of time in NYC.

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
  • Ten Year Forum Member. Do I get a pin?
« Reply #454 on: October 14, 2007, 11:17:20 AM »
New members will probably want to check out the archived threads. especially this one:

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=101.0

Dang, John, I just found out I hadn't posted there until Jan. 24, 2006.

Up till then I was in "Film and Book Main Discussion" and "Brokeback Fever Support" or some such name...

Thanks for reminding us!
Old Brokeback got me good...

Offline quithammerin

• Expert
  • We'll lick this damn ranch into shape
« Reply #455 on: October 14, 2007, 02:13:02 PM »

for me it's been several months of confusion. I have only reached one conclusion (of many to come I hope). I have understood that what pains me is that I will never have a love like J&E had.  I have a 15 year marriage, I love my husband but not "in love" . I will never red-line it for him.... I will never kiss him like Jack kissed Ennis...

ayuni, many posts over the last year or two show the same kind of confusion in married women who have felt they "will never have a love like J&E had".  This is something I've thought about alot, and here are two of my thoughts:  first, this is a work of fiction, although it has tapped into something deep and real in many of us, J&E may have had their disagreements and their boredom in that cow and calf operation if it had existed....  The second thought is:  some people have been given the possibility of a truly  intimate relationship with someone of the same gender, whose life they can share and understand in a way straight people may never be able to;  we straight people (or bisexuals in heteosexual relationships) can celebrate that, learn from it, be open to the possibility it gives to our lives, be grateful that it is part of reality.

I am also going to send you a PM.
"This happen a other people?  What the hell do they do?"  -  Ennis Del Mar

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #456 on: October 14, 2007, 02:23:52 PM »

for me it's been several months of confusion. I have only reached one conclusion (of many to come I hope). I have understood that what pains me is that I will never have a love like J&E had.  I have a 15 year marriage, I love my husband but not "in love" . I will never red-line it for him.... I will never kiss him like Jack kissed Ennis...

ayuni, many posts over the last year or two show the same kind of confusion in married women who have felt they "will never have a love like J&E had".  This is something I've thought about alot, and here are two of my thoughts:  first, this is a work of fiction, although it has tapped into something deep and real in many of us, J&E may have had their disagreements and their boredom in that cow and calf operation if it had existed....  The second thought is:  some people have been given the possibility of a truly  intimate relationship with someone of the same gender, whose life they can share and understand in a way straight people may never be able to;  we straight people (or bisexuals in heteosexual relationships) can celebrate that, learn from it, be open to the possibility it gives to our lives, be grateful that it is part of reality.

I am also going to send you a PM.
i also recall posts from more than one member who took heed of their situation and put the effort (and often counselling) into their relations and MADE them deep and meaningful.  i hope some of them see this sequence and speak up.  if you can't stand it, fix it.

jack 
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline desertrat

• Sunflower
  • Obsessed
  • No angel ;-)
« Reply #457 on: October 14, 2007, 02:33:53 PM »
i can only second jack - don't fall into the trap of thinking that this is some kind of relationship you can never have! gay relationships aren't that much different from straight ones - there are passionate ones and less passionate ones everywhere.

you don't have to stand it - you can fix it !  ;)
Minds are like parachutes... they both work better when opened.

Offline john john

• Obsessed
  • Ennis, admit it,you're falling in love.
« Reply #458 on: October 14, 2007, 02:46:04 PM »
If only I could HAVE a gay relationship to see what an actual good gay relationship can be ;D

Having to hide your love is denying it.

Offline Tigs

• THE Cowntess
  • Obsessed
  • The Cowntess and The Girls!
« Reply #459 on: October 14, 2007, 02:48:19 PM »
If only I could HAVE a gay relationship to see what an actual good gay relationship can be ;D
Good things come to those who wait!!  Never give up waiting - theres someone for everyone (eventually!!!)

Sal     ;D
Throwing cows over hedges!!   "Crazy Cat Lady" - MF!!!   I am a toilet!!

Offline john john

• Obsessed
  • Ennis, admit it,you're falling in love.
« Reply #460 on: October 14, 2007, 02:54:01 PM »
Good things come to those who wait!!  Never give up waiting - theres someone for everyone (eventually!!!)

Sal     ;D

Thanks Sal! I'm hangin'in!!!! ;)

Having to hide your love is denying it.

Offline neatfreak

• Expert
« Reply #461 on: October 14, 2007, 05:11:15 PM »
...for me it's been several months of confusion. I have only reached one conclusion (of many to come I hope). I have understood that what pains me is that I will never have a love like J&E had.  I have a 15 year marriage, I love my husband but not "in love" . I will never red-line it for him.... I will never kiss him like Jack kissed Ennis...
ayuni, many posts over the last year or two show the same kind of confusion in married women who have felt they "will never have a love like J&E had".  This is something I've thought about alot, and here are two of my thoughts:  first, this is a work of fiction, although it has tapped into something deep and real in many of us, J&E may have had their disagreements and their boredom in that cow and calf operation if it had existed....
i also recall posts from more than one member who took heed of their situation and put the effort (and often counselling) into their relations and MADE them deep and meaningful.  i hope some of them see this sequence and speak up.  if you can't stand it, fix it.

I am one of the "oldtimers" who reads more than writes these days. Often I wonder what else I have to offer that I haven't already said, except to say "Welcome!" to the new group of posters. But then Jack spoke to me with this post.

I am one of those whose long-term marriage was lifeless and empty by the time I saw the movie. I didn't know what was happening to me at first, but I came to realize that I could not let my life continue as it was. I could not continue to be an "Ennis" as I had been for so long. I have been shaken out of complacency and into taking action to fix what I could no longer stand.

My heart was broken open by the movie, but it was closed to my husband by many years of hurt, poor communication and neglect. It took months of counseling to help heal the rift between us. It was one of the hardest things I ever did, but I finally let him in; and we have experienced an incredible change in our marriage. It's like a dream come true, except I never dreamed that this could be real for me. You CAN have a love like Jack and Ennis, without the pain. I am living it, finally, in a relationship of over 35 years.

That's easily the best thing to come out of this, but there's more: I have decided to heed the call to enter seminary (not for ordination, but I haven't ruled that out); I have taken on more leadership in my job and recently received a raise; I volunteer at our local AIDS support center to repay a long-overdue debt of gratitude for their help when my brother was dying years ago; and I've made wonderful new friends as a direct result of this forum.

Life is still full of challenges, but I've never been happier. That's what can happen when you decide to fix it. Don't be in too much of a hurry. It takes time for your vision to clear so that you know what steps to take. Let the powerful emotions ebb before you make any decision that could change your life. But if you're reeling from the gut-punch of this story, then something needs to change. This is a wake-up call to fix it. Take advantage of those willing to help, here on this forum and professionals, if necessary.

And be ready for the ride of your life: hang on—it won't be easy—but worth it? You bet.
Be the change you wish to see in the world.  - Mahatma Gandhi

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #462 on: October 14, 2007, 08:02:03 PM »
I'll say goodbye to love
No one ever cared if I should live or die
Time and time again the chance for love has passed me by
And all I know of love is how to live without it
I just can't seem to find it

So I've made my mind up I must live my life alone
And though it's not the easy way
I guess I've always known
I'd say goodbye to love

GOODBYE TO LOVE
Words and Music by Richard Carpenter & John Bettis

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
« Reply #463 on: October 14, 2007, 08:18:26 PM »
Congrats, Neatfreak, on all the changes in your relationship with your husband and your life in general!

As for us "oldtimers"... many of our stories were told up towards two years ago, buried deep in these pages. Takes a lot of hard work finding those words we wrote so long ago. I sometimes wonder if a thread pasting some of these old posts might be a good idea, a way of reintroducing those from long ago to those just arriving?

Just a thought!
Rob

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
« Reply #464 on: October 14, 2007, 08:22:23 PM »
John,

That was one of my favorite songs by the Carpenters. I had those feelings when I was in my mid-teens, (turned 16 in '75). A sad state to be in when so young.

A sad state to feel no matter a persons age, I guess.

He's out there for you and every other lonely soul, John...

Hugs,
Rob
 :-* :-* :-*