The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: How Brokeback Affected Me--continued  (Read 482383 times)

Offline BlueAmber63

• Obsessed
Re: How Brokeback Affected Me--continued
« Reply #3765 on: July 27, 2017, 05:58:46 AM »
Welcome rtrtrt,

I'm still "lost" in the story and still in love with the characters ,even after all his time. 

I'm Sue now known as "BlueAmber63" not "Sueyblu" as I was for at least 6-7 years.
(Long story)!! I'm from England and female as my name suggests !!!

Our members have dwindled a bit....but those who are still here are still as wrapped
and in love with BBM as much as they ever were.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #3766 on: July 27, 2017, 09:45:56 AM »
Welcome rtrtrt!
There were only the two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawk's back and the crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below, suspended above ordinary affairs....

Offline BayCityJohn

• Obsessed
« Reply #3767 on: August 02, 2017, 12:47:24 AM »
***Spoiler Alert***
Halfway through “Memories of a Penitent Heart,” a documentary about a Central Florida family, comes a stunning plot twist.

Like many gay men in the 1980s, Miguel moved to New York City in search of a life out of the closet; he found a career in theater and a rewarding relationship. Yet in the midst of the AIDS crisis, his devout Catholic mother pressured him to repent for his homosexuality on his deathbed. Twenty-five years later, his niece Cecilia Aldarondo breaks the silence surrounding her uncle's death, sifting through conflicting memories of a man she never really knew. She locates Miguel's estranged partner and begins to unlock long-dormant family secrets.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/tv-guy/os-et-winter-park-family-story-plot-twist-20170801-story.html
Once a virgin, always a virgin

Offline BayCityJohn

• Obsessed
« Reply #3768 on: August 02, 2017, 12:48:22 AM »
Once a virgin, always a virgin

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #3769 on: January 20, 2018, 10:18:18 PM »
Hi, everybody. First time poster, long time reader. I am in my late teens, and after seeing BBM about a year and a half ago, was kind of shocked that people in my age group haven't seen/ don't know this movie the way they do Titanic, The Notebook, etc. I have never been incredibly moved by films, but I literally could not get this out of my head for months. I would think about the characters and their situation every day, and I still do.

Is this forum still active? I feel kinda sad reading the posts of CSI, peteinportland, janjo, and others who posted over ten years ago! I guess I'm kind of late to the party.

I venture to guess that this person hasn't commented on the "Ultimate Brokeback Forum" in months, but yes, the forum is still active.  It might not be quite as active as it was when the film's theatrical release took place almost 13 years ago, but the forum is still active.  I wonder if this person still reads through this forum from time to time?  It would be interesting to see more comments from "rtrtrt".  I am curious as to how old "rtrtrt" is and what gender they identify as.  If "rtrtrt" happens to be a teenager, then I can imagine that there are a lot of teenagers around the world who haven't seen or even heard of "Brokeback Mountain".  Many parents and legal guardians wouldn't allow their children to watch this film, especially people who hold bigoted views and hateful attitudes about and towards LGBT people.

Most teenagers and young adults are probably more familiar with theatrical films like James Cameron's "Titanic" (1997) and "The Notebook" (2004) than they probably would be with a theatrical film like "Brokeback Mountain" (2005).  If "rtrtrt" is a teenager, then they must be a very mature young person to be able to handle watching a film like this.  There have been countless persons who have commented on this forum over the years since the forum was first created that have stated how deeply affected they were by the film, so "rtrtrt", you are definitely not alone.  I personally wouldn't say that you are "late to the party" at all.  There are people from all over the world who have seen this film at different periods in time over the years since it's theatrical release and have been deeply moved by it to the point that they feel the need to talk with others online about how "Brokeback Mountain" has made them feel, and I am quite certain that some of those persons have even used this particular forum to express their thoughts.  I am also quite sure that you would be very welcome here if you choose to comment on this forum again at some point in the near future.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:08:37 AM by B.W. »

Offline Gazapete

• Obsessed
« Reply #3770 on: January 20, 2018, 11:43:39 PM »

Many parents and legal guardians wouldn't allow their children to watch this film, especially people who hold bigoted views and hateful attitudes about and towards LGBT people.

I tried to watch it with my 13 year old girl but she just rolled her eyes on me, how I dared to interrupt her favourite show viewing! And I am pretty sure that she would like the movie. I will try again when Pretty Little Liars is over!

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #3771 on: January 21, 2018, 12:15:08 AM »
I tried to watch it with my 13 year old girl but she just rolled her eyes on me, how I dared to interrupt her favourite show viewing! And I am pretty sure that she would like the movie. I will try again when Pretty Little Liars is over!

LOL! I don't have children or grandchildren, but I guess that must be kind of a typical thing for a teenager to do.  I didn't mean to imply that no parent or legal guardian would ever let their teenage child watch "Brokeback Mountain" (2005). It would depend on if the parent or legal guardian feels comfortable with letting their child watch the film and if the teenage child is mature enough to handle the content in the film.  I know that I wouldn't have been allowed to watch it if the film had been released when I was a teenager because I grew up in a fundamentalist religious home where same-sex relationships would have been thought of as a "highly offensive sin in the eyes of God".

Offline Gazapete

• Obsessed
« Reply #3772 on: January 21, 2018, 01:19:20 AM »
I think my parents would have allowed me to watch it, I grew up in a very catholic land, but they have never been that way. My father was really impressed by BBM, he has told me a couple of times how deeply he regrets making fun at school of boys who didn't look "macho enough". I'm so proud of him :)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #3773 on: April 14, 2018, 12:39:23 PM »
You should be proud of him,  that's great to read!   Thanks for sharing that!