The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Collectibles Corner – Showcasing and discussing everything collectible.  (Read 116662 times)

Online ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
ingy -- do you do toads as well? :D 

I do indeed - but not in the sexual sense! (I do collect them, but I don't really DO them) LMAO   :D  ;D  :o  ::)

WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

"And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that."

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
When we drove back from our holiday in Italy 2 days ago we stayed in a B&B near the French border (Ventimiglia) and over breakfast the owner said he used to collect Coca-cola bottles. He even went to a collector gathering in Georgia and met other Cokies from around the world. They have a forum. I stared intently at my husband across the table, willing him to read my mind: "see! see! it is not just me." (He still has not seen the film.)

Online ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.

Kim, seems we Brokies are collecting collectors indeed!  :D LMAO.

WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

"And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that."

Offline cabin

• Obsessed
Jimmy:  absolutely no cutting steaks.  Most of the chartreuse you see is the vintage pieces as the example shown below.  Some lilac and sapphire.  Limited runs are funny, I too ran across loads of black, supposedly after discontinuing, for pennies on the dollar.

Well pretty up the dish rack, and take a pic…

Blue Willow is a very popular collectible as is the red and white with the early American feel, some actually have early American scenes.   On your other point, new fiesta is almost unbreakable, I have no idea how the heck they achieve that.  Apricot does go great with black, (mmmm, maybe Christmas will come early).

Regarding the red teapot missing a lid in the photo, is actually not a teapot at all.  It’s what they call an ice lip water pitcher (made without a lid).   It’s similar to the restaurant water pitch with the ice lip, but this is made out of, obviously, pottery.

(See the picture below, both pieces are vintage – the chartreuse is the small teapot and the other is the ice lip water pitcher.

I need to check out bauer pieces, and the ones you describe.  They sound interesting.  Larger pottery pieces like the oil jars can be rather attractive.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
aahh, so it's a pitcher, that's cool!! i have never seen one of those before. the old chartreuse is beautiful, and the detailing on the vintage stuff is so great too... lovely pieces!!

bauer also did a fabulous set of nesting mixing bowls, and great little vintage cups with copper and wood handles.  :D

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline cabin

• Obsessed
When we drove back from our holiday in Italy 2 days ago we stayed in a B&B near the French border (Ventimiglia) and over breakfast the owner said he used to collect Coca-cola bottles. He even went to a collector gathering in Georgia and met other Cokies from around the world. They have a forum. I stared intently at my husband across the table, willing him to read my mind: "see! see! it is not just me." (He still has not seen the film.)

Hi -- OK, so now you've got to tell us a little about your coca cola collection -- some photos would be nice !   ;)

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
lol -- that's funny that the guy was a "cokie"... my bf and i met one once, and boy was he passionate about collecting coca cola stuff.. and he HATED pepsi. ;D

but brokies or cokies, matchbox collectors (cars or cardboard boxes), barbie or dish "queens".... it's all good.  oh wait -- i seem to remember the lady that collected little glass figurines in stephen king's "misery"...  LOL.   i've met those rabid collector, having been to barbie shows, dolls shows, teddy bear shows, miniature shows, disney shows, toy shows, tile shows, bead shows...  there are so many things to collect out there!!

i do like steiff animals... but have less than 10 in my collection, which started with a little steiff goldfish i got in greece... wore that thing OUT, nearly bald and it disappeared... but i found one to replace it! ^_^

one of the more unusual collections i saw was a rock/mineral collection at a couple's home in SF. my goodness. they were insanely into rocks! their 4 story victorian was filled to the brim with specimens in nearly every single room. it was a bit much, but then again they were dealers. (my fiesta friends that owned the store are the same way -- we're talking scads of fiesta, and bauer, catalina tiles, glassware, etc etc all over the house.)

their backyard was also filled with rocks and minerals. they had huge "walls" of amythest crystals the size of a grand piano lid, fossilized dinosaur bones, polished specimens and rough,,, and in one room, a collection of rocks that glowed under ultra violet light. that was really amazing, i'll never forget visiting their "museum" of minerals!

needless to say, we have a small collection of minerals and fossils too. it started when i was a kid, when i was given a gift of fossilized trilobites, ferns, and other things. i remember being told that one trilobite was about 4 million years old, and the other was about 12 million. and they looked nearly identical! so much for evolution! there were also some interesting corkscrews, which i learned were plant forms. just amazing. my in-law's have an elderly neighbor and he is a rock hound -- he's got an amazing collection on his property -- a rock ranch! very low maintenance, just hose 'em down from time to time, lol.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Obsessed
I'm collecting 'Dear John' letters.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attention:  John Trudell, US - CA - San Francisco,

Dear John,

Thank you very much for your response to our ad on Hcareers and your interest in Stanford Hotels.

Unfortunately, at this time we do not have any positions available that match your qualifications.

Once again, we thank you for your interest in Stanford Hotels and wish you every success in the future.

Sincerely,

Tracey Holloway
Vice President of Human Resources
Stanford Hotels

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a lot more of these.

The interesting thing on this one is that Tracey actually called me today to set up an interview.  She re-read my resume and noticed that one of my references works for their company.

Once a virgin, always a virgin

Offline maturben

• Obsessed
  • I am a BBM groupie/junkie.
((John))---let's hope that in this case the "who you know" proves to be true as the "what you know" is a given

I'll do a little "give John a job dance" in my garden during the golden hours this evening

if nothing else it will provide the passers-by and neighbors another wtf moment

bob
"maintain a more than usually creative relationship to reality" ( a quote from Land's End by Michael Cunningham)

Offline cabin

• Obsessed
jimmy,

since you mentioned rock and mineral collections, I guess I've started a new collection without even thing.  The new location where we moved to cabin to has lots of petrified wood, and I've been finding it all over the property - I guess I need to take a few pics of that and put them up.

John:

As for you "Dear John" letters, I'm afraid the last one you mention must be a "rare" one since most Dear John letters aren't followed by an interview.  lol  ;D

Bob:  maybe you can take a self picture portrait of your "little dance".   ;)

Offline BrokenOkie

• Former Mod
  • Obsessed
    • The Dave Cullen Forum Band
Cool idea for a new thread, Gerry!  It'll be fun to see the different things folks collect.

I started collecting Browning tube-type CB radios years ago.  In their day (1958-1979) they were considered the best to be had.  The hobby turned into an obsession, which evolved into a sideline business and a ton of headaches.  LOL  But I ended up with probably the most complete collection in the country and most of them are in perfect condition cosmetically and electronically.  In the process of all this madness, I even learned how to do most of the repairs myself. 

Here's a shot of the cream of the crop.  There's more, but it's in storage or not part of the CB collection.  I've also accumulated other Browning items dating back to the 1920's.  I'll try to locate more pix.

Offline BrokenOkie

• Former Mod
  • Obsessed
    • The Dave Cullen Forum Band
This set is a Golden Eagle Mark II, circa 1968/69, with optional wood cabinet.  It's on top of the display cabinet in the previous pic.

This is a Business Band amplifier, which "just happened" to work on the 11 meter CB band (where the old business band was also located for many years).  The receiver in the pic above was used for business band as well as CB, but a separate business band transmitter was needed.  It took a long time to find the transmitter but finally found one.  Haven't had a chance to restore it to working condition yet, but cosmetically it's near perfect.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 09:22:14 PM by BrokenOkie »

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed

I collect the little Misfit toys and put them out at Christmas!  :)

FUNGURL

Offline gnash

• Obsessed

oh i like this one, it looks like a face!   do you have a "handle" ?? :D

lola, those misfit toys are so cute, i see them at toys r us during the holidays (in october, LOL) and they always make me smile, since i love those characters.

gerry, i'd love to see some of that petrified wood.. wet them with water -- if you can break a piece in two it could reveal some amazing colors! i have a few specimens that are almost as brilliant as onyx,, more so in fact, with their orange and reddish hues. they look amazing in fishtanks. some look dull and lifeless, but just like a tree branch, with knot holes and everything.

Offline cabin

• Obsessed
lola:  Jimmy's right, Right after Halloween -- we'll see the misfits and company.   I have to admit, I do have a rudolph or two,
but I'll wait till at least Thanksgiving.   ;D ;D

Yep, wet the petrified pieces first..... but break one -- I'll have to think about it.....however, there is so much that some
have broken as the new roads were put in.....  I'll have to get a matching one to show both pieces...... In fact, I'll be going to
the cabin tomorrow after work so I'll look for some this coming weekend.