The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Collectibles Corner – Showcasing and discussing everything collectible.  (Read 211599 times)

Offline cabin

• Obsessed

oh i like this one, it looks like a face!   . . . . . .

Sure does remind me of someone.....    :D :D :D :D :D

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
When we drove back from our holiday in Italy 2 days ago we stayed in a B&B near the French border (Ventimiglia) and over breakfast the owner said he used to collect Coca-cola bottles. He even went to a collector gathering in Georgia and met other Cokies from around the world. They have a forum. I stared intently at my husband across the table, willing him to read my mind: "see! see! it is not just me." (He still has not seen the film.)

Hi -- OK, so now you've got to tell us a little about your coca cola collection -- some photos would be nice !   ;)
Oh, the collection belongs to the Italian B&B owner, not me. I meant, it's not just me who is obsessed by something enough to join a forum.

I was about to add, " I don't collect anything myself" but then I thought about all those turned wood bowls and lamp bases I have accumulated. When I was in Florida in June I bought a beautiful shallow bowl of turned maple. (Maple is not common in Europe.) We have bowls of turned walnut, beech and elm. I should photograph them and post them here, maybe when I get back from the US at the end of August.

Cabin, I have enjoyed looking at the fiestaware because I used to have some in the 80s. I liked choosing which ones to use for the food I was serving. Squid ink pasta with salmon sauce on a yellow plate was quite striking  :D

Barbies are not my thing, Lola, but I do remember my first Barbie way back when. She had dark hair that was practically an Afro (before afros existed).

Offline cabin

• Obsessed
chapeaugris:  please call me anything you want, but I usually go by gerry...  ;)   
and regarding Coca-cola collectors there sure are a bunch out there.  I agree,
BBM can also be a collectible of thoughts, threads and discussions.   :D :D :D
. . . and just as obsessive... ;)

oh, and about those turned wood items, I've known about them and googled
them.... Wow, what beauty those can be.  I was going to post some of the
pics I found, but I'll let you showcase your pieces.    People have no idea
what beauties and pieces of art they turn out to be. 

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
Anyone remember Beanie Babies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beanie_Baby

We never went crazy like some people did, but we did have quite a few.  They are mostly all gone now.  I did save a couple  that were suppose to be worth something.  Who knows if they still are.  A little alligator and a little lamb.   They were cute little things, but I never did quite get the craze.

FUNGURL

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
I've got a couple of Beanie Baby turtles, as well as all kinds of turtle tchochkes that people have given us over the years, since Earl and I are turtle aficionados from way back.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
fritz, a fellow turtle collector! :D  that's too cool, and considering your slow and careful rambling across the US counties, i'd say it fits! remember the tortoise and the hare fable? you're winning, too.  ;)

beanie babies LOL! haven't thought about those things in quite some time. funny how the crazes come and go... got a sheep at the bbq in texas last year, i'm pretty sure it's a beany baby... hmmm, just looked and can't find it...   little bo peep, lol.

i also collect crystalline glazed ceramics, only a few pieces so far -- it'll grow, i'm sure, just like the crystals do in the kiln. here's a pic, not mine but similar to some of our pieces:

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
Anyone remember Beanie Babies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beanie_Baby

We never went crazy like some people did, but we did have quite a few.  They are mostly all gone now.  I did save a couple  that were suppose to be worth something.  Who knows if they still are.  A little alligator and a little lamb.   They were cute little things, but I never did quite get the craze.
During the height of the Beanie Baby craze we went to the States for a visit to family and during it spent a weekend with a friend and his family. His wife, smiling widely, presented each of our daughters with a small, wrapped gift. When they opened them she burst out, "Beanie Babies!" They were completely unknown in France and the girls just looked blankly at these floppy, palm-sized critters. She was really puzzled that they had no idea how desirable these things were.  :D

Offline cabin

• Obsessed
Beanie Babies Fritz? -- yep, jimmy . . . certainly a blast from the past....

Fritz:  a pic of them, would be nice.   ;)

Offline cabin

• Obsessed
i also collect crystalline glazed ceramics, only a few pieces so far -- it'll grow, i'm sure, just like the crystals do in the kiln. here's a pic, not mine but similar to some of our pieces:

Wow, what a great looking piece.    Pottery, huh?    I had no idea.   Must go look in ebay.   ;D

Are there maker names to these?

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
^^^  we collect the ones that john price makes, he's here in SoCal. if you google "crystal glaze pottery" you'll find other artisans. they really are beautiful, i love the random patterns of the crystals.

http://www.jonpriceceramics.com

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Beanie Babies Fritz? -- yep, jimmy . . . certainly a blast from the past....

Fritz:  a pic of them, would be nice.   ;)

Yeah, I'll have to take a few, maybe later tonight!

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Sorry it took me so long, but I been sick!

Here are a few of our turtles, on the shelf of the stairs. This is only a relatively small part of our collection.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
One of my favorites, this is done by a sculptor in southern Pennsylvania, of box turtles emerging from their eggs. The little spot on their beaks is their egg tooth, which enables them to cut their way out of their eggshells, and which drops off not long after hatching.