The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Last Scene ("I swear" scene)  (Read 349093 times)

Offline OnesEnough

• Experienced
  • One's enough
Re: Scene: Last Scene ("I swear" scene)
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2006, 02:39:59 AM »
In the movie the postcard from Brokeback mountain is pinned with ONE tack - this gives it a "POST IT" feel, whereas in the book Annie Proulx takes the time to say that it is pinned in the four corners - any thoughts anyone?

... lets a panel of the dream slide forward ...

Offline DaveinPhilly

• Sending up a prayer of thanks
  • Obsessed
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2006, 07:25:10 AM »
With one tack, he can reach out and straighten the card after buttoning the shirts. Visuals are needed here. That's why we need screen plays. No offence was intended to Annie Proulx I'm sure!
It could be like this, just like this, always...

Offline OnesEnough

• Experienced
  • One's enough
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2006, 07:39:51 AM »
I am sure too, it just doesn't look good as a desktop wallpaper with one tack. In the movie that visual is not pivotal, but once you take the still image things change and the message is different. Talk about subtlety in the detail!!!
... lets a panel of the dream slide forward ...

Offline plc

• Feet Wet
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2006, 10:55:11 AM »
I wasn't sure where to include this question, whether in here or for the "Jack's Parents" scene...

Jack jokes with Ennis about how he is carrying on with Randall's wife Lashawn and laughs about how he's scared of getting shot while sneaking away to be with Lashawn.

But then we all know with the "knowing" looks and the conversation outside the benefit that Randall has extended an invitation to take up some fun time together at his bosses' cabin.  Then Jack's dad says that Jack mentioned bringing Randall up now to help whip up Lighting Flat into shape.

So I'm STILL trying to sort it out.  We all agree that he had either already started up with Randall, or at least squared away in his mind to "move on" from Ennis after their last argument and pick up with Randall if he hadn't already.

BUT - so what was the deal with mentioning Lashawn to Ennis?  Did he really have an affair with her too?  Was he just fibbing to Ennis to see what his reaction would be?

Offline HunterPDX

• Feet Wet
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2006, 03:20:04 PM »
I wasn't sure where to include this question, whether in here or for the "Jack's Parents" scene...

Jack jokes with Ennis about how he is carrying on with Randall's wife Lashawn and laughs about how he's scared of getting shot while sneaking away to be with Lashawn.

But then we all know with the "knowing" looks and the conversation outside the benefit that Randall has extended an invitation to take up some fun time together at his bosses' cabin. Then Jack's dad says that Jack mentioned bringing Randall up now to help whip up Lighting Flat into shape.

So I'm STILL trying to sort it out. We all agree that he had either already started up with Randall, or at least squared away in his mind to "move on" from Ennis after their last argument and pick up with Randall if he hadn't already.

BUT - so what was the deal with mentioning Lashawn to Ennis? Did he really have an affair with her too? Was he just fibbing to Ennis to see what his reaction would be?

Personally I think that was the only way he could get close enough to an admission of his "affair" to Ennis--"affair" by Proxy.  Note that Ennis couldn't really care less about LeShawn--but he does get totally bent about the thought of Jack going to Mexico.   Their relationship seems to have a lot of unspoken rules: sex and pursuing women is considered all part of what you have to do to perpetuate the illusion.  Even to yourself. 

It's kind of twisted, really.  Jack saying is his having an affair with a woman to a man he is having an affair with without his real wife knowing when he's actually having an affair with that woman's husband. 

Or something to that effect.  It kind of hurts my head when I try to think about it that way.   :P

Offline kappadappa

• Obsessed
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2006, 06:02:40 PM »
I agree that Jack can only talk about the affair in heterosexual terms because he and Ennis are still so repressed and still don't think of themselves as gay.  Astonishing what people can repress, and so true to life.

Regarding the one tack in the postcard:
That visual blew me away the first time I saw the movie, and continues to do so on each of my subsequent 3 viewings.  Ennis snaps a button on Jack's shirt.  We're drawn into the shirts and also the fact that Ennis has switched which shirt is on top.  Then he straightens the postcard, drawing our eye there, where the eye lingers and drifts back to the time on that mountain.  Suddenly the postcard goes out of focus (and the eye struggles to recapture it) and is snatched from view as the closet door is shut.  It's like a slap in the face and we're left with the stark reality of the lone window looking out into the fields.

Wrenching and so beautiful.  Tacks in the corners work in the book, but that single tack allows for an incredible visual in the film.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 09:52:09 AM by kappadappa »
gay: a guy primarily attracted to men, sexually (i.e., much more toward men than women) [Dave Cullen]

Offline muse

• Feet Wet
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2006, 08:44:36 PM »
In the movie the postcard from Brokeback mountain is pinned with ONE tack - this gives it a "POST IT" feel, whereas in the book Annie Proulx takes the time to say that it is pinned in the four corners - any thoughts anyone?

about the postcard...which post card is that? the one marked deceased? or one jack had sent ennis? the first one from jack (sparking the reunion) seemed to have a generic mountain on it (not brokeback), whereas the post card that is tacked up is a picture of the actual brokeback.
"...in a slow-motion, but headlong, irreversible fall."

Offline kappadappa

• Obsessed
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2006, 08:54:52 PM »
In the book, after learning of Jack's death Ennis goes out and buys a postcard with a picture of Brokeback on it.
gay: a guy primarily attracted to men, sexually (i.e., much more toward men than women) [Dave Cullen]

Offline Dal

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Skim milk masquerades as cream
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2006, 09:32:21 PM »
[...]what was the deal with mentioning Lashawn to Ennis? Did he really have an affair with her too? Was he just fibbing to Ennis to see what his reaction would be?

Not to see what his reaction would be; to relax him, by echoing Ennis' masculine story.  A Texas tale.  Just part of an old conversation that began with "I'm not no queer""Me neither". 

About Randall, or whoever Jack was thinking of when he told the Twists about "another one" who would be coming up...  Jack clearly had been doing some thinking, but he hadn't thrown the shirts away, had he?   

He wasn't completely through with Ennis, not by the time he left the Twist place anyway, I don't think.

Dal

Mommy, can I be on the kill list when I gwow up?
Of course honey, any American can -- thanks to President Obama!!

Offline Particle_Man6

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2006, 03:43:03 AM »
In a sense, Ennice did bring Jack to Brokeback Mountain by bringing his shirt (with blood stains and all) to the postcard of it.  Maybe "I Swear" also means that one day Ennice will bring Jack to the real BBM.
Straight but not narrow.

Offline petetown

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2006, 04:31:23 AM »
Love all the different ideas about this last scene and what " Jack, I swear, " really means. It's part of the beauty of this film that it's left up to us to insert our own feelings here......giving us a chance to get involved. I haven't figured it out for myself yet. Each time I think I know what Ennis means, a little while later I think he might mean something a bit different.
I think he's swearing to Jack that he will not let life and love pass him by anymore. it's clear to me when he asks Junior if her guy loves her....he then looks out the window, reflecting on his own love and you can see the tears almost form in his eyes. He quickly gets up (so Ennis) and changes the subject.
By folding Junoir's shirt and smelling it, he's determined to change. Not going to let the people down who love him .
Jack's shirt insie of Ennis'?
Jack will ALWAYS be inside of Ennis' heart.

Offline DaveinPhilly

• Sending up a prayer of thanks
  • Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2006, 06:56:35 AM »

But then we all know with the "knowing" looks and the conversation outside the benefit that Randall has extended an invitation to take up some fun time together at his bosses' cabin. Then Jack's dad says that Jack mentioned bringing Randall up now to help whip up Lighting Flat into shape.

So I'm STILL trying to sort it out. We all agree that he had either already started up with Randall, or at least squared away in his mind to "move on" from Ennis after their last argument and pick up with Randall if he hadn't already.

BUT - so what was the deal with mentioning Lashawn to Ennis? Did he really have an affair with her too? Was he just fibbing to Ennis to see what his reaction would be?

Funny, but in my first veiwing, I swore I saw Jack looking at Randall when he asked Lasahwn to dance. Which one was he addressing (privately or publically)? - probably just me, but each time I see it Jack seems to be flirting a bit with Randall.
It could be like this, just like this, always...

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2006, 07:27:25 AM »
Funny, but in my first veiwing, I swore I saw Jack looking at Randall when he asked Lasahwn to dance. Which one was he addressing (privately or publically)? - probably just me, but each time I see it Jack seems to be flirting a bit with Randall.

what i saw was randall looking kinda "funny" at jack, and jack realizing that maybe this guy was givin' him the eye, much like jack gave the rodeo clown the eye in the bar earlier in the movie.. i think jack took the opportunity to dance with randall's wife as a way to remove himself from the situation, get her to shut up (which didn't work!) and maybe also to get away from lureen, since she made that comment about men not wanting to dance with their wives. a sort of "i'll show you" act toward lureen.

i didn't think that jack was flirting with randall at all. if anything, he was shocked to receive the subtle advances of the guy. and later, on the bench, it seems that jack is again mystified and shocked, he can't even answer the guy when it's suggested they might go fishing, get drunk and get away...

wait a minute, this isn't about the "i swear" scene at all... ok then: i swear, this movie is brilliant.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 07:42:42 AM by gnash »

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  Ang Lee

cyoung

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2006, 08:12:39 AM »

YES! He WAS looking at Randall! Randall even looks startled when his wife pipes up and agrees to dance with Jack. Jack's definitely playing a little game there.  :D

Cara

Offline Dal

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Skim milk masquerades as cream
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2006, 09:38:25 AM »

YES! He WAS looking at Randall! Randall even looks startled when his wife pipes up and agrees to dance with Jack. Jack's definitely playing a little game there. :D

Cara

OH yeah, and he's no newbie at it either.  Way out of Randall's league, although of course Randall doesn't know that.

Dal
Mommy, can I be on the kill list when I gwow up?
Of course honey, any American can -- thanks to President Obama!!