The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Last Scene w/ Ennis and Jack Together  (Read 778142 times)

Offline David

• Experienced
Re: Scene: Last Scene w/ Ennis and Jack Together
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2006, 05:43:20 PM »
This is such a great place...

If you notice in that scene when Ennis turns his head and says "well why don't you then" did everyone notice the tear fling from his face and then another pours out when he is facing him...Ennis is literally over flowing with emotion...Ennis may not be the sharpest tool, but he has common sense...he is very aware that his life has only been half lived,,,I don't think he is blaming Jack, but blaming everything else...himself included, for the inability, no matter how far Jack opens the door, to walk through...thats why he "cant stand this any more..."

I wondered if that tear was wishful thinking on my part, but after seeing it again Tuesday, a tear did fling from his face as he was turning around. Amazing, absolutely amazing...that Ennis would cry. However, he was a geyser of emotions at times; feelings could not help but erupt from him from time to time: hauling Jack on all fours in the tent, wretching in the alley, slamming his face into Jack's after four years, breaking down in their last scene together. There was a DEEP well of emotion in Ennis.
The huge sadness of the Northern plains rolled down on him.

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2006, 06:19:17 PM »
True David...when you hold your emotions so tight that you can hardly speak,,,Ennis...then release is alway dramatic....that scene in the ally is Shakespearian catharsis at its best...
"maybe you should get outa there...move someplace different...maybe Texas."

Offline bookgirl

• Feet Wet
    • My Live Journal
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2006, 08:34:37 PM »

This is exactly how I feel. The sharing, the fantastic writing, the inspiration, the depth of personal thoughts and the flow with which I am able to express so freely my thoughts. ( I am not usually like this either :P) I have been lurking on all of this almost from the beginning (of the original board) and now that I have made the plunge, it's almost impossible to turn the tap off. So many good thoughts and issues give rise to so many more. Where does it end and do we want it to?

It won't end as long as we keep sharing!!!   It's become my New Years Resolution and one that I can guarantee I'll keep  ;D

Offline sport

• Feet Wet
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2006, 01:31:53 AM »
Wow. I'm so glad to have found this forum. Although everyone I know who's seen the film loves it, no one is as obsessed as I am - so it's wonderful to find a community of people for whom the Brokeback experience is as monumental as it is for me.

Regarding the posts about bookending (Jack's and Ennis' position when lying together in the tent the first and last times, the direction in which the truck is traveling at the beginning and the end of the film) - and forgive me if someone's already pointed this out, although I don't think I saw any mention of it - did anyone notice (I didn't until a friend said something) that the first time we see Ennis he's clutching his little paper bag, and that's all he has in the world, and then when he leaves Jack's parents he's holding his little paper bag with the shirts in it, which is all he has in the world? Kills me.
Love is a force of nature.

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2006, 05:04:58 AM »
Wow. I'm so glad to have found this forum. Although everyone I know who's seen the film loves it, no one is as obsessed as I am - so it's wonderful to find a community of people for whom the Brokeback experience is as monumental as it is for me.

Regarding the posts about bookending (Jack's and Ennis' position when lying together in the tent the first and last times, the direction in which the truck is traveling at the beginning and the end of the film) - and forgive me if someone's already pointed this out, although I don't think I saw any mention of it - did anyone notice (I didn't until a friend said something) that the first time we see Ennis he's clutching his little paper bag, and that's all he has in the world, and then when he leaves Jack's parents he's holding his little paper bag with the shirts in it, which is all he has in the world? Kills me.

Welcome to the forum, Sport.  Yes there is A LOT of bookending in this movie, and it is mentioned somewhere else on here.  In my copious amounts of spare time (read:NOT!) I'll see if I can find it and direct you there. (anyone else know where it is?  anyone?  anyone?  Bueler?)  Feel free to join the Brokeaholics thread and post your introduction/pictures as well.   ;D
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2006, 08:31:14 AM »
Im curious about something...Ive seen the pic more than once lets just say, and in this scene, when Ennis says "I hear what they got in Mexico for boys like you" it looks like Ennis is saying something else, if you look really close, the mouth dosent follow the words a dubbing thing Im guessing..its not off-puting, just something I noticed...just wondering if anyone has an idea of what was in the script...

Todd

Offline lauren

• Obsessed
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2006, 10:33:32 AM »

I moved this from another thread because seemed more appropriate here.

I just want to weigh in a bit here on this scene (which is also mixed in with the meeting with Jack's parents scene) In the scene with the parents, Ennis probably already knew there had been others. In their last meeting, Ennis says: "All them things I don't know.." All we have is Jack's father mentioning the other rancher for the purpose of hurting Ennis. Regardless of the other rancher (whom didn't mean anything to Jack but someone he could turn to for physical comfort), Jack loves Ennis body and soul, and never stops loving him. In my mind, when the father says "it never come to pass" it means it never happened  (and I can't imagine Jack telling his father about this, or I imagine his mood was pretty somber if he mentioned this to his mother) and was never going to happen. In their final scene, Jack is trying to get Ennis to go to Mexico and you can assume they agree about their next trip in Nov. because Ennis sends the postcard. They don't usually talk between trips (except by postcard), so they had to have talked about it before Ennis leaves. They bring things back to a point where they will continue as always (as it says in the script and book). This argument is a wake up call for them, a bump in their road. But Jack was never, ever going to let him go.

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2006, 11:30:55 AM »

I just want to weigh in a bit here on this scene (which is also mixed in with the meeting with Jack's parents scene) In the scene with the parents, Ennis probably already knew there had been others. In their last meeting, Ennis says: "All them things I don't know.." All we have is Jack's father mentioning the other rancher for the purpose of hurting Ennis. Regardless of the other rancher (whom didn't mean anything to Jack but someone he could turn to for physical comfort), Jack loves Ennis body and soul, and never stops loving him. In my mind, when the father says "it never come to pass" it means it never happened  (and I can't imagine Jack telling his father about this, or I imagine his mood was pretty somber if he mentioned this to his mother) and was never going to happen. In their final scene, Jack is trying to get Ennis to go to Mexico and you can assume they agree about their next trip in Nov. because Ennis sends the postcard. They don't usually talk between trips (except by postcard), so they had to have talked about it before Ennis leaves. They bring things back to a point where they will continue as always (as it says in the script and book). This argument is a wake up call for them, a bump in their road. But Jack was never, ever going to let him go.

I think if Jack ever did have another "relationship" with another man, I cant help thinking that he would still be taking "fishing trips" with Ennis....

Offline lauren

• Obsessed
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2006, 11:59:56 AM »

I think if Jack ever did have another "relationship" with another man, I cant help thinking that he would still be taking "fishing trips" with Ennis....

You're right, Ennis is the love of his life and Jack will never let him go.  I feel that after Ennis finds out Jack has been to Mexico, he starts thinking about making some kind of change so they could see one another more often.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2006, 12:33:44 PM »

It won't end as long as we keep sharing!!!   It's become my New Years Resolution and one that I can guarantee I'll keep  ;D

bookgirl
My sentiments exactly....It will go much longer as long as BBM is in theaters and then awards and then DVD, but at some point we may have to start a thread and maybe even a board for withdrawal.  :'(   My ultimate hope is that these discussions and sharing will continue long after!!!
killersmom
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2006, 06:42:35 PM »

You're right, Ennis is the love of his life and Jack will never let him go.  I feel that after Ennis finds out Jack has been to Mexico, he starts thinking about making some kind of change so they could see one another more often.

Yes...I cant help but think that he was thinking about that on the drive back home...but we all  know Ennis...he is soooo damaged, that I think it might not have changed...

Tod

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2006, 08:56:52 PM »
In the book, it seems that Annie take pains to point out to the reader that nothing has really changed after this scene. I agree with Lauren that they planned another trip and everything was the same.

You know, I think it is really sexy when Ennis gets all jealous and tells Jack: "all them things I don't know might get you killed if I should come to know them." Talk about loving your man! I think this is Ennis' way of letting Jack know just how much he means to him.

jiml

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2006, 09:12:48 PM »
You know, I think it is really sexy when Ennis gets all jealous and tells Jack: "all them things I don't know might get you killed if I should come to know them." Talk about loving your man! I think this is Ennis' way of letting Jack know just how much he means to him.
Really, Pete? Threatening to kill him? Sexy?  Oh, my.

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2006, 09:22:52 PM »
Sorry, OJ, but I love it when a guy is jealous. It is childish I know, and I am much more mature than that (or not), but a guy being jealous in some ways sends a thrill down my spine.

We never see Ennis get jealous. It is easy for the viewer/reader to wonder how much Jack means to Ennis. Well, this line makes it loud and clear. Yep, I love it! 

Offline muse

• Feet Wet
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2006, 09:24:52 PM »
We never see Ennis get jealous. It is easy for the viewer/reader to wonder how much Jack means to Ennis. Well, this line makes it loud and clear. Yep, I love it! 

i agree. sexy. it is the first time ennis seems to be saying "i am yours and you are MINE." i loved it.

"...in a slow-motion, but headlong, irreversible fall."