The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Poll

What is said in the tent on the second night?

Ennis says nothing and Jack says "It's alright."
306 (45.9%)
Ennis says "I'm sorry," and Jack says "It's alright."
204 (30.6%)
Ennis says nothing, and Jack says "I'm sorry" and "It's alright."
84 (12.6%)
I'm not sure.
31 (4.7%)
I don't care. Please make this topic go away!
41 (6.2%)

Total Members Voted: 616

Author Topic: Second Night in the Tent  (Read 498044 times)

dudnkink

Re: Scene: Second Night in the Tent
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2006, 11:47:17 PM »
P.S.
I
saw that in the screenplay but it's not in the film (Ennis saying "sorry). There are other instances of dialogue that's in the screenplay that's missing from the film.

What copy of the Screenplay are you guys looking at? My copy from Brokeback Mountain Story to Screenplay does not have Ennis saying "I'm Sorry".(Page 21) Ennis has no dialogue in this scene.  [/quote
]

Well I'm still confused! It's like asking three blind men to discribe an elephant.
     And the "I'm sorry" ain't printed in MY script BUT I'm sure (almost) that Ennis said it... another viewing is in order.
     Thanks to all.
OK, now in addition to the poster, I'm now ordering the screenplay which you have mentioned.  Simon and Schuster is on back order- two to three weeks.  I didn't even know a person could get a screenplay.  I thought only Hollywood had access to those!   ;D
I will also be in line for the DVD to second it's available.  I will get back to you after Saturday, when I see it again.....

dudnkink

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2006, 11:51:50 PM »
Man, this thread is going to be jumping when everyone runs to Best Buy on that fateful Tuesday when the DVD comes out!
We will all be wrestling with that infernal plastic to be the first to watch this scene with headhpones!

I have closed caption on my TV, so I'm going to be the first one to know.  AND BTW.... WHEN will this be out on DVD?  Perhaps, this summer?   ???

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2006, 05:21:49 AM »
Ok...Ill admit it...Ive seen the picture 7 times...It has such a hold on me, and I'm not this way about any other movie...in the second tent scene, Jack is the only one speaking and he does indeed say "s'alright"...3 times and he subtly nodes his head...such a beautiful and comforting moment. And its also interesting how Ennis pulls Jack onto him...its a very vulnerable position to get into...Ennis has truly let all defenses down at this point and there is no turning back...any thoughts?
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this scene for its vulnerability and tenderness.  Both of these young men finding completion in each other in their otherwise harsh reality worlds.  I have only seen the movie 4x.  (#5 this weekend!!!) and I didn't notice that it was Ennis pulling Jack on top of him.  Now I'll have to concentrate extra hard on this scene. (darn!) 
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2006, 08:05:40 AM »
Okay, here's a question for the group, slightly apropos maybe, but when Jack in kneeling down, washing clothes in the stream, was that "The" shirt, Ennis's, that he was washing?  The only shirts I remember seeing Jack in were dark.  If he's washing another man's clothes, well, that is certainly speaking volumes. Usually only long time couples do that sort of thing.

I don't think that is Ennis's shirt...Ive seen pictures from the film (scenes not used or edited) where Jack is actually wearing a light plaid shirt...just editing I think...and I would wonder why he is washing Ennis's shirt in the nude...its hot, but I think not...

Tod

I assumed it was Ennis' shirt since he always wore the light colored shirts.
I figured that was part of the job of the one who stayed in camp - cooking, going to pick up the food, washing.  I figured that neither of them had many changes of clothing so, why not wash everything at once.
[/quote

Good point Mary...I think you may have solved the query...I hadn't realized that that would have been done by the "camp tender"
"maybe you should get outa there...move someplace different...maybe Texas."

Offline Jack Nasty

• Obsessed
  • aka: Tim
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2006, 08:55:20 AM »
Okay, here's a question for the group, slightly apropos maybe, but when Jack in kneeling down, washing clothes in the stream, was that "The" shirt, Ennis's, that he was washing?  The only shirts I remember seeing Jack in were dark.  If he's washing another man's clothes, well, that is certainly speaking volumes. Usually only long time couples do that sort of thing.

I don't think that is Ennis's shirt...Ive seen pictures from the film (scenes not used or edited) where Jack is actually wearing a light plaid shirt...just editing I think...and I would wonder why he is washing Ennis's shirt in the nude...its hot, but I think not...

Tod

I figured that was part of the job of the one who stayed in camp - cooking, going to pick up the food, washing.  I figured that neither of them had many changes of clothing so, why not wash everything at once.
[/quote

Good point Mary...I think you may have solved the query...I hadn't realized that that would have been done by the "camp tender"

I assumed he was washing both of their shirts. I checked the screenplay and it say he is washing Ennis' only other shirt. He is, if I recall correctly also washing his shirt and I think these are the same shirts from day one, and "The Shirts" that will symbolize their love forever.
FUR IS DEAD! for more inFURmation: http://www.infurmation.com/

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2006, 11:35:43 AM »

Tod

[/quote

I assumed he was washing both of their shirts. I checked the screenplay and it say he is washing Ennis' only other shirt. He is, if I recall correctly also washing his shirt and I think these are the same shirts from day one, and "The Shirts" that will symbolize their love forever.

I must be honest...I wasn't really looking at the shirt... ;)

Todd
"maybe you should get outa there...move someplace different...maybe Texas."

Offline Jack Nasty

• Obsessed
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2006, 11:50:36 AM »
[

Todd

I wasn't either until the fourth viewing. Only then was able to take a bit more in. ;)

Offline konrad

• Getting Acquainted
  • LEARNING AND LABOR
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2006, 01:50:28 PM »
RE: shirt washing

-just got back from my 7th viewing.  It looked like one shirt  to me - the one Ennis wore when they rode down the mountain at the end of their gig on the mountain.
"-too early in the season to be sick o' beans..."

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2006, 01:59:55 PM »
RE: shirt washing

-just got back from my 7th viewing.  It looked like one shirt  to me - the one Ennis wore when they rode down the mountain at the end of their gig on the mountain.

There is one shirt in his hands in the scene but I thought I saw another (dark blue) one on a rock to his right - as if either he's already washed that one and set it down to work on the light colored one or will wash that one next.
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline Jack Nasty

• Obsessed
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2006, 02:13:23 PM »
There is one shirt in his hands in the scene but I thought I saw another (dark blue) one on a rock to his right - as if either he's already washed that one and set it down to work on the light colored one or will wash that one next.

That is what I recall as well. Two shirts in the lead. I have to believe it is the same pair of shirts that will end up in Ennis' closet otherwise why bother with the scene?

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2006, 03:53:15 PM »
[

Todd

I wasn't either until the fourth viewing. Only then was able to take a bit more in. ;)

I'd be able to take a bit more in. ;)
"And when he shall die,
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline Carissa

• Obsessed
  • Too young. too soon. too loved to be gone.
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2006, 04:12:43 PM »
AND BTW.... WHEN will this be out on DVD?  Perhaps, this summer?   ???
I posted in the Main Discussion thread that according to my Borders e-mail the tentative date is April 4th.  I think it's on page 159 there.
Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
- Romeo and Juliet (Juliet at III, ii)

Offline sport

• Feet Wet
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2006, 04:22:30 PM »
Ok...Ill admit it...Ive seen the picture 7 times...It has such a hold on me, and I'm not this way about any other movie...in the second tent scene, Jack is the only one speaking and he does indeed say "s'alright"...3 times and he subtly nodes his head...such a beautiful and comforting moment. And its also interesting how Ennis pulls Jack onto him...its a very vulnerable position to get into...Ennis has truly let all defenses down at this point and there is no turning back...any thoughts?
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this scene for its vulnerability and tenderness.  Both of these young men finding completion in each other in their otherwise harsh reality worlds.  I have only seen the movie 4x.  (#5 this weekend!!!) and I didn't notice that it was Ennis pulling Jack on top of him.  Now I'll have to concentrate extra hard on this scene. (darn!) 

This is one of my favorite scenes in the movie. Ennis looking so vulnerable and frightened and hopeful all at the same time. Jack reassuring him and calming him. Ennis experiencing for the first time in his life something he never even knew was possible: comfort and intimacy with another human being. SLAYS ME. (cut to: waterworks.)

I, too, hadn't noticed that Ennis pulls Jack on top of him. Something to look for the next (6th) time I see the film.

One element that contributes heavily to the emotional intensity of this scene, for me, is the music. Gorgeous and devastating, like the rest of the score. But - correct me if I'm wrong - I don't think this bit of music is on the CD. Anyone?
Love is a force of nature.

Offline brokebackLJ

• Expert
  • never give up on the good times
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2006, 04:23:13 PM »
P.S.
I
saw that in the screenplay but it's not in the film (Ennis saying "sorry). There are other instances of dialogue that's in the screenplay that's missing from the film.

What copy of the Screenplay are you guys looking at? My copy from Brokeback Mountain Story to Screenplay does not have Ennis saying "I'm Sorry".(Page 21) Ennis has no dialogue in this scene.  [/quote
]

Well I'm still confused! It's like asking three blind men to discribe an elephant.
     And the "I'm sorry" ain't printed in MY script BUT I'm sure (almost) that Ennis said it... another viewing is in order.
     Thanks to all.

I believe that's my fault guys. I transcribed the script in a lot of these forums, and I made additions that are not in the script, but in the movie. to be more accurate...sorry for the confusion.

Offline anzacbat

• Feet Wet
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2006, 06:03:14 PM »
Sport, re: the music (I'm sorry, I don't know how to use the "quote" button - when I hit "quote" all I get is computer goobledy gook) I noticed a lot of it wasn't on the CD - the second reunion in the movie when Jack is by the river and he looks up, sees Ennis arrive with the horses, and the "intense pleasure" of seeing Ennis is echoed on his face, and the sequence continues with the combine ride with his son - the music under that part was not on the CD.  Am I wrong?  Did anyone else notice that?

I'm sorry if I digressed from the thread - I just wanted to point that out and reiterate Sport's notion.  I've seen the film 7 times, and the last few times have been listening hard for the music cues.