The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Poll

What is said in the tent on the second night?

Ennis says nothing and Jack says "It's alright."
306 (45.9%)
Ennis says "I'm sorry," and Jack says "It's alright."
204 (30.6%)
Ennis says nothing, and Jack says "I'm sorry" and "It's alright."
84 (12.6%)
I'm not sure.
31 (4.7%)
I don't care. Please make this topic go away!
41 (6.2%)

Total Members Voted: 616

Author Topic: Second Night in the Tent  (Read 498046 times)

Offline 909dot

• Expert
Re: Scene: Second Night in the Tent
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2006, 06:36:22 PM »
Ok...Ill admit it...Ive seen the picture 7 times...It has such a hold on me, and I'm not this way about any other movie...in the second tent scene, Jack is the only one speaking and he does indeed say "s'alright"...3 times and he subtly nodes his head...such a beautiful and comforting moment. And its also interesting how Ennis pulls Jack onto him...its a very vulnerable position to get into...Ennis has truly let all defenses down at this point and there is no turning back...any thoughts?
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this scene for its vulnerability and tenderness.  Both of these young men finding completion in each other in their otherwise harsh reality worlds.  I have only seen the movie 4x.  (#5 this weekend!!!) and I didn't notice that it was Ennis pulling Jack on top of him.  Now I'll have to concentrate extra hard on this scene. (darn!) 

This is one of my favorite scenes in the movie. Ennis looking so vulnerable and frightened and hopeful all at the same time. Jack reassuring him and calming him. Ennis experiencing for the first time in his life something he never even knew was possible: comfort and intimacy with another human being. SLAYS ME. (cut to: waterworks.)

I, too, hadn't noticed that Ennis pulls Jack on top of him. Something to look for the next (6th) time I see the film.

One element that contributes heavily to the emotional intensity of this scene, for me, is the music. Gorgeous and devastating, like the rest of the score. But - correct me if I'm wrong - I don't think this bit of music is on the CD. Anyone?

I think it is on the CD the first Brokeback Mountain...I'm pretty sure...and all I have to do is hear a little of the music and I'm transported right back...unbelievable...

Tod
"maybe you should get outa there...move someplace different...maybe Texas."

kumari

« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2006, 06:52:31 PM »
[

I must be honest...I wasn't really looking at the shirt... ;)

Todd

I wasn't either until the fourth viewing. Only then was able to take a bit more in. ;)

I'd be able to take a bit more in. ;)

I wonder just how much there is to take in at once, hmm...

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2006, 07:30:14 AM »
[

I must be honest...I wasn't really looking at the shirt... ;)

Todd

I wasn't either until the fourth viewing. Only then was able to take a bit more in. ;)

I'd be able to take a bit more in. ;)

I wonder just how much there is to take in at once, hmm...
Kumari, I'll email you a photo that clearly outlines just how much of Jake we REALLY love....
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline marius

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2006, 11:44:15 AM »
Did anyone else notice that Ennis keeps his eyes firmly closed the entire time ? It's kind of sad, but touching at the same time, because he's only letting himself get so far....Jack's pecs look amazing in the scene...yum.

maybe he was drunk with passion and desire. Also, I think the face of Heath Ledger/Ennis did clearly signal he was so embarrassed and shy that he couldn't make any eye contact. That's why Jack keeps telling him...that's alright...
close your eyes and start to feel your object of desire with your hands and your olfactory sens.
these feelings are so much more powerful than the visual.
then you don't need to see when you're in paradise.

marius

kumari

« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2006, 12:26:18 PM »
close your eyes and start to feel your object of desire with your hands and your olfactory sens.

marius

very nicely put, marius.
i was reminded of this scene when ennis finds the shirts in jack's closet.
he closes his eyes to smell the shirt to try and travel back to that night in the tent, trying to smell and touch jack one more time.

Offline sport

• Feet Wet
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2006, 01:25:20 PM »
One element that contributes heavily to the emotional intensity of this scene, for me, is the music. Gorgeous and devastating, like the rest of the score. But - correct me if I'm wrong - I don't think this bit of music is on the CD. Anyone?

I think it is on the CD the first Brokeback Mountain...I'm pretty sure...and all I have to do is hear a little of the music and I'm transported right back...unbelievable...

Tod

Tod, I think you may be right!  We'll have to check and see the next time we see the film.  But the opening phrases, at least, of that track do sound right.

I know what you mean about being transported back by the music.  I have to be careful when I choose to listen to it because it's so powerful.
Love is a force of nature.

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2006, 04:25:02 PM »
Did anyone else notice that Ennis keeps his eyes firmly closed the entire time ? It's kind of sad, but touching at the same time, because he's only letting himself get so far....Jack's pecs look amazing in the scene...yum.

maybe he was drunk with passion and desire. Also, I think the face of Heath Ledger/Ennis did clearly signal he was so embarrassed and shy that he couldn't make any eye contact. That's why Jack keeps telling him...that's alright...

marius

I noticed that his eyes wrere closed when he was on top of Jack, but when Ennis pulls Jack on top of him...very vulnarable...and they kiss, he does look into his eyes...

Todd

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2006, 04:42:51 PM »
Ok...since this is a site for the obsessive BBM fan, which I am happy to be...I saw the movie once more...(Ive  lost count...) and I notice so much every time...but this time, after the first kiss in the tent and there lips slowly part, there is an ever so thin line of moisture that connects their bottom lips ever so briefly...no dry mouth on that shot....its truly realistic and magical...the whole movie is for that matter...

Todd

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2006, 06:04:00 PM »
Ok...since this is a site for the obsessive BBM fan, which I am happy to be...I saw the movie once more...(Ive  lost count...) and I notice so much every time...but this time, after the first kiss in the tent and there lips slowly part, there is an ever so thin line of moisture that connects their bottom lips ever so briefly...no dry mouth on that shot....its truly realistic and magical...the whole movie is for that matter...

Todd, I noticed that on my second or third viewing when I got stuck in the second row.  I've likened it to having Jack and Ennis behind my eyelids  (not a bad thing at all!)  It was not a dry kiss.  Both actors really put it out there for this scene.  I know that a lot of people have been making a todo over Heath Ledger's work in this film.  And it is extraordinary.  AND despite my love for Jake, it took me a while to warm up to and realize the full weight of his role.  His work is so much more subtle that Jack's life and emotions and intensity kind of creep up on you.

The sounds that accompany this scene are absolutely luscious as well. 
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2006, 06:23:14 PM »

Todd, I noticed that on my second or third viewing when I got stuck in the second row.  I've likened it to having Jack and Ennis behind my eyelids  (not a bad thing at all!)  It was not a dry kiss.  Both actors really put it out there for this scene.  I know that a lot of people have been making a todo over Heath Ledger's work in this film.  And it is extraordinary.  AND despite my love for Jake, it took me a while to warm up to and realize the full weight of his role.  His work is so much more subtle that Jack's life and emotions and intensity kind of creep up on you.

The sounds that accompany this scene are absolutely luscious as well. 

I was blown away with Heaths work from the get go, and its taken some viewings to really appreciate Jake's work...he is very good and I wish others would see it...the separation scene where he asks if Ennis will do this again next summer...when he doesn't look at Ennis bathing...and lets not forget the flash back where he watches Ennis ride off after they have been standing together...he is very detailed and subtel...you can see the love in his eyes...

Todd

Offline muse

• Feet Wet
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2006, 07:03:26 PM »

I was blown away with Heaths work from the get go, and its taken some viewings to really appreciate Jake's work...he is very good and I wish others would see it...the separation scene where he asks if Ennis will do this again next summer...when he doesn't look at Ennis bathing...and lets not forget the flash back where he watches Ennis ride off after they have been standing together...he is very detailed and subtel...you can see the love in his eyes...

Todd

i agree. heath impressed me immediately, while jake took a second viewing. and i LOVE jake in everything he does. you are totally right about the scenes you just mentioned. his face shows it all. i also loved his little guilty "yeah" after ennis complains about leaving his shirt up on brokeback. played perfectly.

"...in a slow-motion, but headlong, irreversible fall."

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2006, 08:16:41 PM »

Todd

i agree. heath impressed me immediately, while jake took a second viewing. and i LOVE jake in everything he does. you are totally right about the scenes you just mentioned. his face shows it all. i also loved his little guilty "yeah" after ennis complains about leaving his shirt up on brokeback. played perfectly.

...and the look after he looks at Ennis in the rear view mirror while driving away...that look slays me...

Todd

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2006, 08:37:15 PM »
I still haven't seen the line of saliva although I keep hearing about it. I will really pay attention next time!

kumari

« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2006, 09:06:34 PM »
I still haven't seen the line of saliva although I keep hearing about it. I will really pay attention next time!

Make sure you don't take anyone with you that likes to talk during movies. You will be looking at the scene intently, the person will say something, and you will grab him/her by the ear and snarl, "SHUT-UP! I'm looking for the string of spit!"
Tsk, tsk. What this movie has reduced us to...

dudnkink

« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2006, 09:55:17 PM »
Ok...Ill admit it...Ive seen the picture 7 times...It has such a hold on me, and I'm not this way about any other movie...in the second tent scene, Jack is the only one speaking and he does indeed say "s'alright"...3 times and he subtly nodes his head...such a beautiful and comforting moment. And its also interesting how Ennis pulls Jack onto him...its a very vulnerable position to get into...Ennis has truly let all defenses down at this point and there is no turning back...any thoughts?
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this scene for its vulnerability and tenderness.  Both of these young men finding completion in each other in their otherwise harsh reality worlds.  I have only seen the movie 4x.  (#5 this weekend!!!) and I didn't notice that it was Ennis pulling Jack on top of him.  Now I'll have to concentrate extra hard on this scene. (darn!) 

This is one of my favorite scenes in the movie. Ennis looking so vulnerable and frightened and hopeful all at the same time. Jack reassuring him and calming him. Ennis experiencing for the first time in his life something he never even knew was possible: comfort and intimacy with another human being. SLAYS ME. (cut to: waterworks.)

I, too, hadn't noticed that Ennis pulls Jack on top of him. Something to look for the next (6th) time I see the film.

Tod
I had read what you say before (Imjack) that on your 3rd or 4th viewing, you could hear Jack and Ennis kissing in the 2nd tent scene.  So I paid more attention, and this time, we were closer to the screen, which I prefer- and could hear their kissing sounds, and it just made me melt like a popsicle on a hot day.  I also noticed that Ennis didn't say anything and I heard Jack say it's alright only once, in a tender wisper.  The way he leaned in with an open mouth---  OH MY!  Be still my beating heart!!