The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Poll

What is said in the tent on the second night?

Ennis says nothing and Jack says "It's alright."
307 (45.5%)
Ennis says "I'm sorry," and Jack says "It's alright."
208 (30.9%)
Ennis says nothing, and Jack says "I'm sorry" and "It's alright."
86 (12.8%)
I'm not sure.
32 (4.7%)
I don't care. Please make this topic go away!
41 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 622

Author Topic: Second Night in the Tent  (Read 792006 times)

dkellergrl2001

Re: Scene: Second Night in the Tent
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 03:00:36 PM »
Ennis does say those words. I heard them the 3 times I saw the film.

Offline Jack Nasty

• Obsessed
  • aka: Tim
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 03:05:40 PM »
INT. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN MOUNTAIN, WYOMING: TENT: NIGHT: CONTINUED

JACK sits atop the bedroll, naked, his shirt draped over his lap. He looks up as ENNIS enters.

ENNIS cautiously steps in. JACK raises his hand to him.
ENNIS takes it. JACK pulls him in.

ENNIS
I'm sorry...I'm sorry....

JACK, gentle, reassuring, takes ENNIS'S face in his hands.

JACK
It's all right....It's all right.

JACK kisses him.
They lie back. Embrace. Kiss.

Hmmmm...

My copy of the screenplay does not include
ENNIS
I'm sorry...I'm sorry....

???

I honestly don't recall Ennis saying anything at this point. I don't think he could speak. I think only Jack speaks and he is reasurring Ennis. Ennis might sigh but not speak. Maybe I have another excuse to go see it again sooner than Saturday!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 03:08:03 PM by Jack Nasty »
FUR IS DEAD! for more inFURmation: http://www.infurmation.com/

Offline lauren

• Obsessed
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 03:10:14 PM »

Ennis doesn't say "I'm sorry." It's only Jack who speaks, and his whisper at first sounds like "I'm sorry" but it's actually "it's all right" just said very quietly. Someone brought this up on the old forum here at Dave's site, and I've heard the "all right" now the past 7 times or so I've seen the film.

Offline lauren

• Obsessed
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 03:12:32 PM »

P.S.
I saw that in the screenplay but it's not in the film (Ennis saying "sorry). There are other instances of dialogue that's in the screenplay that's missing from the film.

Offline David

• Experienced
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2006, 03:23:54 PM »
     Has it been decided whether Ennis actually says: "I'm sorry..." before Jack replies; "It's alright, it's alright..."?
     There has been talk about this elsewhere but I'd like a certain answer if possible. Thanks.

I saw the movie again last night and looked for it. If Ennis said it, I sure missed it. "I'm sorry..." may have been in the script (?), but it didn't look like the words made it to the final cut.
The huge sadness of the Northern plains rolled down on him.

Offline Jack Nasty

• Obsessed
  • aka: Tim
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2006, 03:24:59 PM »

P.S.
I saw that in the screenplay but it's not in the film (Ennis saying "sorry). There are other instances of dialogue that's in the screenplay that's missing from the film.

What copy of the Screenplay are you guys looking at? My copy from Brokeback Mountain Story to Screenplay does not have Ennis saying "I'm Sorry".(Page 21) Ennis has no dialogue in this scene.  
FUR IS DEAD! for more inFURmation: http://www.infurmation.com/

Offline Sarge

• Experienced
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2006, 03:39:00 PM »
P.S.
I
saw that in the screenplay but it's not in the film (Ennis saying "sorry). There are other instances of dialogue that's in the screenplay that's missing from the film.

What copy of the Screenplay are you guys looking at? My copy from Brokeback Mountain Story to Screenplay does not have Ennis saying "I'm Sorry".(Page 21) Ennis has no dialogue in this scene.  [/quote
]

Well I'm still confused! It's like asking three blind men to discribe an elephant.
     And the "I'm sorry" ain't printed in MY script BUT I'm sure (almost) that Ennis said it... another viewing is in order.
     Thanks to all.

Offline lauren

• Obsessed
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2006, 03:41:43 PM »

Jack, you're right. I just checked and it's not in there. Just Jack speaks. I just read the screenplay last night, and when I saw the post above, I must have imagined I saw a reference  :)

Offline scot5636

• Experienced
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 05:25:33 PM »
I just walked out of the theater half an hour ago, and someone in that scene definitely says "I'm sorry."  I listened very carefully, because this dialogue came up in another thread.  I think it's Jack that says it, because I'm pretty sure Ennis doesn't say anything.

So, if it's Jack that says it,  what's it mean?  "I'm sorry, Ennis, because I know you don't want to be pulled into this, but i love you too much to just let you go."  What immediately precedes this scene is a mystery (unless it's described in the story -- which I still can't get).  When we arrive in the movie, Jack's already in the tent, moving around a lot -- I assume undressing.  What's happened just before that?  Has Jack said something like "I'm going into the tent -- you can come in if you want."  It's clear that something has happened because Jack is in there waiting, and Ennis is outside struggling with the decision.  Knowing what it takes to draw a conversation out of Ennis, I can see Jack saying he's sorry for drawing him back into the tent.  Jack's the instigator here.  He understands that they're embarking on a path that's going to be very difficult for Ennis. 

kumari

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2006, 07:08:36 PM »
Man, this thread is going to be jumping when everyone runs to Best Buy on that fateful Tuesday when the DVD comes out!
We will all be wrestling with that infernal plastic to be the first to watch this scene with headhpones!

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2006, 08:16:40 PM »
Man, this thread is going to be jumping when everyone runs to Best Buy on that fateful Tuesday when the DVD comes out!
We will all be wrestling with that infernal plastic to be the first to watch this scene with headhpones!

Not me!  I have my trusty DVD opener!   ;D
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline canmark

• Obsessed
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2006, 08:31:38 PM »
I've always been confused over who says what in that scene, but I think some of the dialogue was actually overdubbed--so their lips are not moving, but words are coming out of their mouths. (In the postcard scene--when Alma asks Ennis if he knows anyone named Jack--this seems to happen, too, like there are words coming from Ennis even though it doesn't look like he's speaking.)

On the one hand it makes more sense that Jack would be doing the talking--and the consoling--of Ennis, because Ennis was clearly afraid and reluctant. Ennis might be saying "I'm sorry" to apologize for his reluctance.

I think Ang Lee gave the actors some freedom in these scenes (the love scenes, but others as well) by not over-choreographing them and by shooting them in one continuous shot with one camera. Therefore the actions and the words may not replicate what was in the script.
... yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

Offline lauren

• Obsessed
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2006, 08:33:54 PM »
I just walked out of the theater half an hour ago, and someone in that scene definitely says "I'm sorry."  I listened very carefully, because this dialogue came up in another thread.  I think it's Jack that says it, because I'm pretty sure Ennis doesn't say anything.

So, if it's Jack that says it,  what's it mean?  "I'm sorry, Ennis, because I know you don't want to be pulled into this, but i love you too much to just let you go."  What immediately precedes this scene is a mystery (unless it's described in the story -- which I still can't get).  When we arrive in the movie, Jack's already in the tent, moving around a lot -- I assume undressing.  What's happened just before that?  Has Jack said something like "I'm going into the tent -- you can come in if you want."  It's clear that something has happened because Jack is in there waiting, and Ennis is outside struggling with the decision.  Knowing what it takes to draw a conversation out of Ennis, I can see Jack saying he's sorry for drawing him back into the tent.  Jack's the instigator here.  He understands that they're embarking on a path that's going to be very difficult for Ennis. 

As I mentioned above, Jack SOUNDS like he's saying "sorry", but he's not. H'e saying "it's all right" just very quietly, almost a whisper. It's almost as if you just hear the "s" sound. He's definitely not saying "sorry" and Ennis doesn't say anything.

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2006, 08:37:03 PM »

As I mentioned above, Jack SOUNDS like he's saying "sorry", but he's not. H'e saying "it's all right" just very quietly, almost a whisper. It's almost as if you just hear the "s" sound. He's definitely not saying "sorry" and Ennis doesn't say anything.
Lauren, I'm with you on this one.  The first 2x I saw it, I thought there was an "Im Sorry" in there.  But the next two times I went, I made sure to clarify certain things - this was one of them.  Jack is saying, "It's all right" to Ennis.  I know it sounds like "I'm sorry."
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline DeeGilles

• Experienced
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2006, 08:40:07 PM »
Jack was saying, "it's alright", meaning " Ennis, it's all right for you to let go, to express whatever emotions you're feeling."  He's saying, "I won't reject you."  (Not like your siblings did).  Jack already knows he's in love.
I wish I knew how to quit ya.