The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Poll

What is said in the tent on the second night?

Ennis says nothing and Jack says "It's alright."
307 (45.5%)
Ennis says "I'm sorry," and Jack says "It's alright."
208 (30.9%)
Ennis says nothing, and Jack says "I'm sorry" and "It's alright."
86 (12.8%)
I'm not sure.
32 (4.7%)
I don't care. Please make this topic go away!
41 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 622

Author Topic: Second Night in the Tent  (Read 788015 times)

imennisshesjack

Re: Scene: Second Night in the Tent
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2006, 07:32:28 AM »
I think, for me, this scene is the most visceral in the whole movie. I didn't realize it, when I saw it with my husband, that my hand was gripping his bicep so hard, he literally had to reach over and pry my fingers off him. :)

I think what shows so much is Jack, waiting for Ennis--he's already taken his shirt off in the cold Wyoming mountains; he knows what he wants and he wants Ennis to know. Ennis is hesitant, but I loved how he took off his hat and held it when he came in the tent-- a sign of respect and yes,of courting. (He'd take off his hat before entering a lady's house,right?) Jack comforts him(a sign everyone seems to have noticed), by telling him it's alright, and then, when they curl up together and Ennis is touching Jack's chest and face, really look at Ennis's face. He looks like he's just about to burst into tears-- like he realizes this is the best thing that has ever happened to him, even though he can't quite accept it (hence the keeping-his-eyes-closed thing).

So romantic, so loving. I wish that scene had gone one much longer-- hey Ang, we're anxiously awaiting the director's cut on dvd!!!

Offline sapstar

• Feet Wet
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2006, 10:16:45 AM »
I've always been confused over who says what in that scene, but I think some of the dialogue was actually overdubbed--so their lips are not moving, but words are coming out of their mouths. (In the postcard scene--when Alma asks Ennis if he knows anyone named Jack--this seems to happen, too, like there are words coming from Ennis even though it doesn't look like he's speaking.)

We can get that illusion sometimes when watching a movie...  since all scenes are filmed several times, with only one camera, from different angles, and then cut and edited with what the director wants, sometimes the sound we hear is from one angle-shot and what we see is from a different one.  But this scene is, if I remember correctly, a one-shot thing.

I guess someone would have to ask Heath or Jake in an interview...   anyone ?   lol

JP

Offline scot5636

• Experienced
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2006, 10:54:59 AM »

Ennis doesn't say "I'm sorry." It's only Jack who speaks, and his whisper at first sounds like "I'm sorry" but it's actually "it's all right" just said very quietly. Someone brought this up on the old forum here at Dave's site, and I've heard the "all right" now the past 7 times or so I've seen the film.

I have to defer to someone who's listened for it 7 (or more) times.  I was pretty certain, sitting in the theater, that I heard someone in that scene say "I'm sorry."  But I only listened carefully for it the one time.  As Lauren points out, though, it is just a whisper, and it's clearly possible to confuse "I'm sorry" with "s'alright."

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2006, 04:32:48 PM »
Ok...Ill admit it...Ive seen the picture 7 times...It has such a hold on me, and I'm not this way about any other movie...in the second tent scene, Jack is the only one speaking and he does indeed say "s'alright"...3 times and he subtly nodes his head...such a beautiful and comforting moment. And its also interesting how Ennis pulls Jack onto him...its a very vulnerable position to get into...Ennis has truly let all defenses down at this point and there is no turning back...any thoughts?
"maybe you should get outa there...move someplace different...maybe Texas."

Offline rickpouch

• Expert
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2006, 05:24:52 PM »
It's All Right is what I heard after seeing it several times. When I see it this weekend agaiin-I will be listening.

Offline DeeGilles

• Experienced
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2006, 06:53:35 PM »
Okay, here's a question for the group, slightly apropos maybe, but when Jack in kneeling down, washing clothes in the stream, was that "The" shirt, Ennis's, that he was washing?  The only shirts I remember seeing Jack in were dark.  If he's washing another man's clothes, well, that is certainly speaking volumes. Usually only long time couples do that sort of thing.
I wish I knew how to quit ya.

Offline 909dot

• Expert
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2006, 07:09:30 PM »
Okay, here's a question for the group, slightly apropos maybe, but when Jack in kneeling down, washing clothes in the stream, was that "The" shirt, Ennis's, that he was washing?  The only shirts I remember seeing Jack in were dark.  If he's washing another man's clothes, well, that is certainly speaking volumes. Usually only long time couples do that sort of thing.

I don't think that is Ennis's shirt...Ive seen pictures from the film (scenes not used or edited) where Jack is actually wearing a light plaid shirt...just editing I think...and I would wonder why he is washing Ennis's shirt in the nude...its hot, but I think not...

Tod
"maybe you should get outa there...move someplace different...maybe Texas."

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2006, 07:13:42 PM »

I don't think that is Ennis's shirt...Ive seen pictures from the film (scenes not used or edited) where Jack is actually wearing a light plaid shirt...just editing I think...and I would wonder why he is washing Ennis's shirt in the nude...its hot, but I think not...

Tod

I assumed it was Ennis' shirt since he always wore the light colored shirts.
I figured that was part of the job of the one who stayed in camp - cooking, going to pick up the food, washing.  I figured that neither of them had many changes of clothing so, why not wash everything at once.
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline David

• Experienced
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2006, 07:15:35 PM »
Jack is washing all the clothes, hence he is nude (get 'em all done at once). It is poignant that he is washing Ennis' shirt. We see this scene to make sure the audience knows very clearly that Jack had ample opportunity to steal one of Ennis' shirts. It's a far in advance set-up for the scene at Jack's parents.
The huge sadness of the Northern plains rolled down on him.

Offline sotoalf

• Obsessed
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2006, 07:29:27 PM »
Remember: Ennis notes, when saying goodbye to Jack after their summer idyll, that he left his "only" shirt on the mountain. I missed this the first time too.

kumari

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2006, 08:16:15 PM »
Jack is washing all the clothes, hence he is nude (get 'em all done at once). It is poignant that he is washing Ennis' shirt. We see this scene to make sure the audience knows very clearly that Jack had ample opportunity to steal one of Ennis' shirts. It's a far in advance set-up for the scene at Jack's parents.

Nice.
I didn't even think of that.

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2006, 08:43:15 PM »
But the shirt he stole was the same one Ennis was wearing when they got into the fight their last day on the mountain (and he didn't steal the shirt: he just borrowed it for 20 years!). Obviously Jack did not wash this shirt after the fight because the blood was still on both of them. I think that scene with Jack in the river is part of the running water/washing imagery Ang uses throughout. I'm guessing it is representational of Jack washing away his sins. Plus those were the same clothers he was wearing the night before (1st tent scene), and they did not take their clothes off, so who knows what was on them! I think some of this might be discussed in the BBM scene thread (all the stuff that happened on the mountain aside from the tent scenes).

You know, on my last viewing (my 6th), I am almost positive I heard Ennis say "I'm sorry." I was surprised because I had not heard it before. I did hear Jack say "its all right." Damn, now I'll have to see the movie again!

Offline sotoalf

• Obsessed
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2006, 09:04:32 PM »
I'm guessing it is representational of Jack washing away his sins.

Heh heh. Nothing in either the story or script leads me to conclude that the characters believed in God or redemption.

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2006, 09:20:41 PM »
Alf, this is why it is purely symbolic. Obviously, Jack wasn't thinking such (except for the "sins" crusted all over his pants).  ;D

Offline Carissa

• Obsessed
  • Too young. too soon. too loved to be gone.
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2006, 09:22:40 PM »
I have to defer to someone who's listened for it 7 (or more) times.  I was pretty certain, sitting in the theater, that I heard someone in that scene say "I'm sorry."  But I only listened carefully for it the one time.  As Lauren points out, though, it is just a whisper, and it's clearly possible to confuse "I'm sorry" with "s'alright."
I listened very carefully to that scene when I saw it today and I heard "I'm sorry" too.
Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
- Romeo and Juliet (Juliet at III, ii)