The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: SUGGEST gay topics for this new gay area  (Read 42891 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: SUGGEST gay topics for this new gay area
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2006, 09:02:27 AM »
Hey I've got a question to throw out here and a possible new topic. Not strictly gay but involves, to me, a very valid question.

Is it possible for a straight woman and a gay man to be soul mates? Not referring to a sexual thing.  For that matter for a straight man and a lesbian?  I have a wonderful friend who is gay whom I have known since grade school. We can talk about ANYTHING (and do ;)) and share our thoughts in just about all aspects of each other's lives. I feel we are more than the best of friends, that our souls are connected.

Anyone else out there?
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline jim ...

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2006, 09:51:24 AM »
Hey I've got a question to throw out here and a possible new topic. Not strictly gay but involves, to me, a very valid question.

Is it possible for a straight woman and a gay man to be soul mates? Not referring to a sexual thing.  For that matter for a straight man and a lesbian?  I have a wonderful friend who is gay whom I have known since grade school. We can talk about ANYTHING (and do ;)) and share our thoughts in just about all aspects of each other's lives. I feel we are more than the best of friends, that our souls are connected.

Anyone else out there?

absolutely killersmom ... as a gay man, I have a couple of married women in my life that I would certainly consider soulmates. It has less to do with gay or straight and so much more to do with the person ... and if there's a real connection there.

Offline jim ...

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 03:37:28 PM »
START YOUR OWN THREAD: EXPERIENCED MEMBERS CAN NOW START THREADS IN THE GAY,BI,WHATEVER SECTION

cyoung

Re: START YOUR OWN THREAD: EXPERIENCED MEMBERS MAY NOW START THEIR OWN THREADS
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 11:45:58 AM »
This is probably a very dumb question, but how does one go about starting a thread?

Cara

lynn

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2006, 11:49:33 AM »
Cara, I think you go to the top of this section, here: http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?board=35.0

Then click on the New Topic button on the top right. Don't forget to give it a clear, descriptive title.

cyoung

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2006, 11:54:48 AM »
Cara, I think you go to the top of this section, here: http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?board=35.0

Then click on the New Topic button on the top right. Don't forget to give it a clear, descriptive title.

Would the topic "Where are all the straight men?" be okay?

Cara

lynn

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2006, 11:56:00 AM »
sounds good to me ... a few have already posted, but I wonder at that myself.

SezYou

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2006, 12:19:08 PM »

I don't see such a button!

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2006, 10:19:01 PM »
This suggestion may get me thrown off this Forum, but how bout a thread on

"Brokeback" Bashing on Gay Forums

I met Dave Cullen on JUB, and that site shows a tremendous anti-Brokeback backlash in their postings

Obviously gay men who (obsessively) hate  "Brokeback" will not be showing up on this site, but the "Brokeback" lovefest is not universal amongst gay men

I also know many Chelsea boys who absolutely refuse to see the movie, even as it plays to sold out performances at the Chelsea 'Plex and the two-shirts-on-one-hanger becomes an overnight gay emblem in store fronts along Eighth Avenue

Objections to "Brokeback" include: it's a 1950's weepie, Jack is murdered, Ennis is miserable; Jack and Ennis aren't really "gay" (whatever that means); the movie runs from 1963-1983, but Jack and Ennis have never heard of post-Stonewall gay lib; Heath and Jake are straight, an "authentic groundbreaking gay mainstream movie" would star openly gay actors and have a happy ending--Jake and Ennis moving to Boulder, Colorado and opening up a New Age crystal shop

I, personally, don't go for any of these arguments. But I read them constantly on gay forums and I feel they need to be addressed 
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2006, 06:37:33 PM »
I don't see such a button!

Guests can't start a thread. Register, and post a bit, and then you will.

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2006, 09:36:04 PM »
I know there are other "book" topics scattered around the Forums, but I'd like to see one specifically devoted to

Jack Twist, Ennis del Mar, and the Image of Gay Men in Gay Male Fiction

Brokeback Mountain the "gay love story" that is sweeping the nation coast to coast was not written by a gay man. To quote Stephen Sondheim: "Isn't it queer?"

For me one of the joys of “Brokeback Mountain” is seeing gay men depicted not just as rugged outdoorsmen, but also as capable dudes who have the skills to get their jobs done. We see Jack and Ennis herding their immense flock of sheep up to the grazing lands on Brokeback. We see the guys chop wood and set up camp and lead a mule train with supplies up to their campsite and shoot an elk when they run short of food.  I’ve never seen or read a depiction of gay men who were so competent at doing what they had to do. I hope that “Brokeback” starts a welcome trend in that direction.

As Reed Woodhouse notes in his analysis of post Stonewall gay fiction, the gay writer “must not make his gay characters attractive, demanding, successful, or self-confident . . . Sexlessness and weakness are still the gay man’s passport to acceptability . . . What most annoys homophobic readers, whether gay or straight, is precisely success. Pathos, freakishness, infantility—all these are more palatable than even the tiniest victory.” (Unlimited Embrace: A Canon of Gay Fiction, p.8, p.49)

Over and over again, gay writers regurgitate the same clichés: 1) stories of young gay men coming out and telling their mothers; 2) stories of gay men moving to an urban ghetto and discovering sex, drugs, rock n roll, and fag hags; and 3) stories of gay men dying of AIDS and telling their mothers.

What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.

Offline kaboyz

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2006, 05:14:55 PM »
Is there a place here for gays with gay parents?
You son of a whoreson bitch

Offline jos

• Feet Wet
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2006, 04:41:39 PM »
I am a straight female who is very interested in Waynerman's proposal for a thread on gay sex.  I just posted several questions under the thread "Ignorant straight girl has questions for gay men" (or something like that- I can't quite remember the heading), but my questions were off-topic and a thread like Waynerman's would be a good place to post my questions.  Incidentally, if you do read my questions, please know that I am coming from a place of ignorance and curiosity, and I do not mean to offend anyone in any way.  Thanks.

Offline Chris

• Experienced
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2006, 06:08:33 PM »
I am a straight female who is very interested in Waynerman's proposal for a thread on gay sex.  I just posted several questions under the thread "Ignorant straight girl has questions for gay men" (or something like that- I can't quite remember the heading), but my questions were off-topic and a thread like Waynerman's would be a good place to post my questions.  Incidentally, if you do read my questions, please know that I am coming from a place of ignorance and curiosity, and I do not mean to offend anyone in any way.  Thanks.

The Joy of Gay Sex by Charles Silverstein and Edmund White,first published in 1977, serves as a general reference now fully revised and expanded third edition cowritten with Felice Picano. These changes are reflected in The New Joy of Gay Sex,an essential reference book for every gay man.

However it, could be an interesting thread.
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”  Martin Luther King

Offline afemaleJack

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2006, 08:13:33 PM »
How about discussing hypocritical gay people.  or issues that gay people have with the community.

The only reason I say that is b/c when I watched E&J going at it...I cringed.  It just looked so..painful.  As
a gay woman, I should be able to relate and understand that...but I didn't.  I felt like a hypocrite.