The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: SUGGEST gay topics for this new gay area  (Read 42620 times)

Offline adamblast

• Obsessed
  • that's where our hearts both belong
Re: SUGGEST gay topics for this new gay area
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2006, 11:04:57 AM »
I think you've just got to consider the source.  Radio talkshows these days are *supposed* to be crude and stupid, apparently--they're all trying to tap that Howard Stern/Man Show demographic...   In that world, lesbians are hot and gay men are sissies and queens.  It's all pretty disgusting, not to mention ignorant, but that's the state of the media--if it gets Joe Sixpack laughing, then it's all good for the ratings, apparently... 

Offline Miss Rumphius

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2006, 09:17:09 PM »
How about a thread on transgender people? I saw a dynamite interview this morining on the Today show or Good Morning America about a 13-year-old who was transgender. His openness was inspiring. His family talked about their reactions too and how they've supported him.

Nancy

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
Sports and Gays?
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2006, 12:32:03 PM »
I'm suggesting a topic I don't even care much about, but some interesting articles are appearing, like this one:

http://www.sevenoaksmag.com/commentary/99_comm2.html

And while "Gays in Sports" might be a more usual sort of title, I was thinking about how one scans down the list, and what would grab the eye...

Offline pylon101

• Experienced
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2006, 01:21:18 PM »
I am suggesting 2 threads:

1. HOW DID THEY VOTE. Many members of Academy revealed to public how they voted. I was really surprised Nicholson voted for BBM. I guess within a few months we would have interesting stuff related to how public figures, Academy members,  voted.

2. GAY MARRIAGES/CIVIL UNIONS. This thread disappeared with Greg (he was looking, maybe found someone - I wish him luck!!!)  ::). Anyway, the thread was very productive. And important. Because it was focused on tactics and actions related to legislative and judicial and executive branches.

If we will to keep this great forum we should drift off BBM obsession and turn it into something bigger.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 01:25:38 PM by pylon101 »
Nick
Moscow, Russia /
Alexandria, VA

Offline estefue

• Papi Chulo
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2006, 02:51:43 PM »
The gay marriage thread is still alive!  Come back in and re-kindle the debate.

Offline pylon101

• Experienced
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2006, 12:05:05 AM »
I'd say it's a disputable idea to discontinue topic " Religion and Gay Community".

"Can we embrace Fundamentalists?" is a completely different issue.

In my opinion it would be in the interest of the forum to maintain broader topics.

Question: "Politics and Gay Community" was also renamed?

Nick
Moscow, Russia /
Alexandria, VA

Offline archbishop

• Experienced
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2006, 01:45:35 AM »
Can we have a catagory for glbt supportive organizations that need the support of the entire progressive/glbt community in its work?  Provide a way to help these organizations?

Thanks,

+Bruce

Offline Biker Named Lumpy

• Experienced
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2006, 01:47:23 AM »
I'm always most interested in gays and their professions.  When I was younger, whether I was attracted to men or not depended on their professions almost totally.  Blue collar, you were in.  White collar, no interest on my part.  Why is that?  Luckily I outgrew it.

I'm interested in hearing whether or not people find it easy to be out at work.  Was it easy coming out at work?  Do some professions make it easier to be out than others?  How many blue collar guys find it easy enough to be out on their jobs?

What circumstances caused you to feel you had to come out at work?

In one case I felt I had to come out at a job only because I got sick of hearing co-workers talk in stupid generalities about gays.  I like to hear what pushed other people over that edge?  or was it just a matter of insisting that co-workers know you for who you really are?

I remember seeing some discussion of these things but I don't remember in which threads.  Maybe there already is a thread devoted to this subject..  if so, brain fart on my part.
I need a foot rub, Dummy. :)

Offline jim ...

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2006, 06:05:42 AM »
I'm always most interested in gays and their professions.  When I was younger, whether I was attracted to men or not depended on their professions almost totally.  Blue collar, you were in.  White collar, no interest on my part.  Why is that?  Luckily I outgrew it.

I'm interested in hearing whether or not people find it easy to be out at work.  Was it easy coming out at work?  Do some professions make it easier to be out than others?  How many blue collar guys find it easy enough to be out on their jobs?

What circumstances caused you to feel you had to come out at work?

In one case I felt I had to come out at a job only because I got sick of hearing co-workers talk in stupid generalities about gays.  I like to hear what pushed other people over that edge?  or was it just a matter of insisting that co-workers know you for who you really are?

I remember seeing some discussion of these things but I don't remember in which threads.  Maybe there already is a thread devoted to this subject..  if so, brain fart on my part.

hey biker ...  we opened up the "coming out at work" thread to include coming out in general, but that thread would be appropriate for your post.  Many there have already posted about their coming out at work experiences.

Offline Ellen

• Virgin
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2006, 09:34:52 AM »
Hi!
 This doesn't really belong in the "gay area" but might i suggest an entirely new, discussion forum about Brokeback Mountain for those of us who have just discovered this site full of people equally moved by the magic of this magnificent mind-blowing (duh!) movie and by Jack and Ennis? I live in Sweden myself, and so I only saw it for the first time like a month ago, which is when it came out here, and since my friends, though they've seen it, are getting tired of my rambling on and on about it( and i'm getting tired of one-way conversations, where they alternate between complaining loudly and sighing, commenting that the movie is overrated(!) and tilting their heads, going uhuh uhuh without listening and without contributing to the conversation)  i'm dying to discuss everything about the movie...I'm really lost when it comes to these discussion forums, and am having a hard time finding my way around all these topics. I'd be really happy if there was a forum with a clean slate, new and fresh, somewhere i could discuss with people who are just getting to know the movie...? Thanx! 

Offline estefue

• Papi Chulo
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2006, 10:17:48 AM »
Hej Ellen!You will find that although new, you will be welcome in any our our discussions.  You may want to check out the main discussion thread at http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=17.0  or how brokeback affected me at http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=101.0.  I know that they can seem daunting given the number of pages but you will be welcomed.  Good luck and welcome to the forum.  Esteban

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2006, 12:15:35 AM »
MATE OR DATE

a "personals" thread for those seeking companionship on the friend level or more.  separate threads for M seeking M, F seeking F, and others might be nice, but not necessary right off the bat.

jack
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline davidjohng

• Feet Wet
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2006, 06:03:46 PM »
     What comes to mind for me is a thread on the gay community and what people think it is and most importently think about it.  I live in Ohio now but have lived in the ghettos of San Francisco and Toronto.  Interesting experiences, especially SF in pre-AIDS days but as I matured I found mainstream gay life a complete turn-off in terms of health, spiritual growth, values etc.  I have 50 year old acquaintances still obsessed with being and looking young and buff and never really growing up or potentializing themselves. I'm sorry but it just seems like such a superficial, unhealthy ( for example, in terms of human relating with the promiscuity), angry and ridiculous subculture.  It's like one has to leave it in order to mature but then face the reality of homophobia in the hetero mainstream which in some places is getting less (blatent anyway) and more manageable as gay becomes known and "cool".
"Shit, that's hard"

gebt

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2006, 12:12:56 PM »
The suggestions for new threads i have read are great. I like Mate and Date, the professions thread, gay community thread as per david john. :)

Offline jackfingtwist

• Help I'm Being Possessed by Jack Twist
  • Obsessed
  • Straight Boy Slashers - we do exist
    • Jack fucking Twist's drabbles
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2006, 12:53:54 PM »
i would like to see a thread on Transgenderism
http://jack-fing-twist.livejournal.com/ - Max's jack drabbles

"I'm here with my tribe,
This family's my wealth
And I would die with them
Before I'd live by myself." S. Bear Bergman

"Its half biology and half corrective surgery gone wrong," Half Jack, Dresden Dolls