The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: SUGGEST gay topics for this new gay area  (Read 42896 times)

Offline Spike

• Getting Acquainted
Re: SUGGEST gay topics for this new gay area
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2006, 08:26:29 PM »
A thread for and about transgendered individuals is a very interesting idea.  There is a Dr. Dana Beyer running for political office in MD.  Dr. Beyer was born intersex and lived the first 50 years of her life as a man.
Who would have thought even just a few years ago that we would be on our way to human rights for everyone in this country.  We're still a little behind some other nations, but we may be getting there.

Offline jackfingtwist

• Help I'm Being Possessed by Jack Twist
  • Obsessed
  • Straight Boy Slashers - we do exist
    • Jack fucking Twist's drabbles
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2006, 12:47:19 PM »
A thread for and about transgendered individuals is a very interesting idea.  There is a Dr. Dana Beyer running for political office in MD.  Dr. Beyer was born intersex and lived the first 50 years of her life as a man.
Who would have thought even just a few years ago that we would be on our way to human rights for everyone in this country.  We're still a little behind some other nations, but we may be getting there.

Ah yes I heard about that somewhere! I think this is a topic that is taboo even in the gay culture. Meybe not taboo but a little less understood.
http://jack-fing-twist.livejournal.com/ - Max's jack drabbles

"I'm here with my tribe,
This family's my wealth
And I would die with them
Before I'd live by myself." S. Bear Bergman

"Its half biology and half corrective surgery gone wrong," Half Jack, Dresden Dolls

Offline estefue

• Papi Chulo
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2006, 12:18:48 PM »
I think misunderstood is more the word.  People have all sort of assumptions about us (gays) and even more assumptions about transgendered people.  Since the topic has come more to the forefront we are discussing how best to present it here.

Offline mountain boy

• Cowpoke
  • Obsessed
  • Thou not speakest thy truest love
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
Do we have a place to talk about The Closet? Particularly the Hollywood Closet.

For example, what do people think of the stuff that Ted Casablanca talks about? Not just whether it is true, but whether it is acceptable even to discuss it.

http://tv.yahoo.com/contributor/38466/news/urn:newsml:awfultruth.com:20071103:TV-1259cc0c9e9c02a2bc238f3392874883__ER:1

On the one hand, gay celebrities should be allowed some privacy. On the other hand, is Hollywood stuck in the 1950s? Has America outgrown the Hollywood closet?

My own take right now is that Hollywood marketing thinks people are stupider and more homophobic than they actually are.    :D

Does Hollywood need to be told that they aren't "a different world"? There are gay people living full lives everywhere except Hollywood, and Hollywood is feeding homophobia by pretending there are no gays, both in their movies and in their real lives. I don't like it.

But maybe I'm wrong. Can we talk?    ;D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 11:45:00 AM by mountain boy »

Offline milomorris

• Expert
  • Strength, Courage, Mastery, and Honor
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2007, 01:05:17 PM »
Do we have a place to talk about The Closet? Particularly the Hollywood Closet.

For example, what do people think of the stuff that Ted Casablanca talks about? Not just whether it is true, but whether it is acceptable even to discuss it.

http://tv.yahoo.com/contributor/38466/news/urn:newsml:awfultruth.com:20071103:TV-1259cc0c9e9c02a2bc238f3392874883__ER:1

On the one hand, gay celebrities should be allowed some privacy. On the other hand, is Hollywood stuck in the 1950s? Has America outgrown the Hollywood closet?

My own take right now is that Hollywood marketing thinks people are stupider and more homophobic than they actually are.    :D

Does Hollywood need to be told that they aren't "a different world"? There are gay people living full lives everywhere except Hollywood, and Hollywood is feeding homophobia by pretending there are no gays, both in their movies and in their real lives. I don't like it.

But maybe I'm wrong. Can we talk?    ;D

I think a discussion about the closet is a good idea. but I think we already have a thread for that...the Coming Out thread.

I see little value in discussing the private sex lives of celebrities. They are people who, like the rest of us do a job. its just that their jobs are done in the public eye. I agree that Hollywood is out of step with the rest of America (and moreso the reat of the world) when it comes to its depictions of homosexuals. But I don't think that this has anything whatsoever to do with the number of celebrities, writers, producers, etc. who are out of the closet. It is simply a matter of money. As an article posted in a recent issue of TDS points out, filmmakers avoid gay topics because they don't think they will be profitable. TV, while offering us more homosexual characters, tends to engage in "gaysploitation" by creating characters who are stereotypical rather than realistic.

Milo
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline jim ...

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
I agree with Milo ... the coming out thread would be the place talk to about coming out in general.

Offline Marcos

• Experienced
  • Thatīs me again...
    • sibiline
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2008, 08:44:35 PM »
was BBM a depressing movie? Why is it so many gay guys seemed a rather intimidated and "put off" by it a little?Some friends of mine definetely were !
Marcos Farias

Offline estefue

• Papi Chulo
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2008, 08:28:46 PM »
Marcos,  it has some depressive aspects but it is so much more than that.  Welcome, check out the site and look into the impact this movie has had on so many  :
 http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?board=3.0

Offline KZ

• Feet Wet
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2008, 08:38:48 PM »
Hate to switch topics in the middle of a stream, but getting back to Dave's original question...  I'd like to see recommendations for and discussions (maybe even reviews) of gay-oriented books.  Doesn't matter what genre, although I don't mean fanfic.  I mean everything from nonfiction to original fantasy, sci fi, erotic romance, etc.  I'm a voracious reader and crave variety.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2008, 05:46:08 AM »
Hate to switch topics in the middle of a stream, but getting back to Dave's original question...  I'd like to see recommendations for and discussions (maybe even reviews) of gay-oriented books.  Doesn't matter what genre, although I don't mean fanfic.  I mean everything from nonfiction to original fantasy, sci fi, erotic romance, etc.  I'm a voracious reader and crave variety.
Have you looked at the threads over in Books, periodicals and literature?

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?board=60.0

Offline KZ

• Feet Wet
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2008, 10:48:22 PM »
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2008, 09:40:52 PM »
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

You're welcome, KZ. Hope to see you in discussions over there.

Offline the_new_dreamer

• Virgin
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2009, 01:11:38 AM »
was BBM a depressing movie? Why is it so many gay guys seemed a rather intimidated and "put off" by it a little?Some friends of mine definetely were !
it was depressing. talking about unhappy gay ending.  :*(

Offline Marcos

• Experienced
  • Thatīs me again...
    • sibiline
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2009, 07:52:42 PM »
Guetto gay culture:the legacy we should nurture and value or a melancholic anachronism? Iīve always looked up to gay life style as some kind of self indulgent,lovely abandon from all the pressures of real world but  iīve never really taken it too seriously to consider myself as a  part of " the scene", you know...i view it with eyes of tender afection,once iīve been around for years now,but i think itīs about time for us to move on and embrace new possibilities on a broader,larger manner...letīs all stay just as queer as we want but we should never forget: rather than homossexuals,weīre first and foremost,humans...
Marcos Farias

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2009, 08:30:12 AM »
@marcos...

if you really want to discuss the place of the "gay ghetto" in current and past gay life, i suggest you bring it to the gay history thread and read the posts there as well.  your post sounded more like a personal manifesto than a discussion topic, however.
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."