The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Let's Get Serious About Heath  (Read 441974 times)

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
Re: Let's Get Serious About Heath
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2007, 06:53:24 AM »
Back again. The Brothers Grimm is a sweet film but not as simple as it seems. It gets a little bit lost in its own fantasy (apparently Terry Gilliam had serious problems with the finished product - backroom interference)  but it's still delightful. And Heath has said it's his favourite. Or maybe it was his favourite to make, I can't remember. He loved making it. for sure.

At first I was annoyed that he wasn't playing Luther Fox in Dirt Music (Colin Farrell is doing it now) because I thought he would have made a brilliant Lu, but now I think it wouldn't have extended him much. Heath seems determined to challenge himself in roles. I'd love him to do a musical. If there was a way for him to play Tony, Riff AND Bernardo in West Side Story I'd be delirious.

And thanks for whoever put up the Four Feathers link. I'd forgotten what an interesting film it was. I think it's time for me to have another Heath retrospective.

Offline lauren

• Obsessed
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2007, 07:01:51 AM »

I love Two Hands, a very quirky, interesting film, and Heath, of course, is terrific in it. There is a very early intense scene and Heath is wonderful in it; there is a little bit of Candy's Dan in Heath's role in this film. He's terrific as a kid who could end up as a criminal or not, or end up dead, you're not sure what's going to happen. The film won a top award in Australia.

I also love "A Knight's Tale," -- it's a film with a lot of energy, and a romp. There's a scene with Heath and his the actor who plays his father which is moving and displayed Heath's depth as an actor. I've bought all of his films and watched all of them with the exception of "The Order" or "Ned Kelly", mainly because the films didn't grab me immediately or it may have been the mood I was in. I'll watch them one of these days.

Offline gres

• Obsessed
  • An eye for an eye will make us all blind. M.Ghandi
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2007, 07:18:54 AM »
Hi Lauren, how nice to see you in here :-* :-*
It is me, baby Gres and i'm in bed sleeping...that is why mom is around doing  some foruming  ;D

• Obsessed
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2007, 07:53:49 AM »
Yes indeed, hello Lauren.

Heath is certainly developing as he goes along. He goes from strength to strength. I have to remind myself how young he was in those earlier films. Just a kid really.

Chuck, if you get the chance to see any of Roar, it's pretty interesting. He was drool material even then. Ooops, i'm not being serious.

Offline beruthiel

• Obsessed
  • nam myoho renge kyo
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2007, 08:33:39 AM »
I saw a snippet of Heath on E! news last night.  (Jeez, he's got a voice like melted caramel... Oops, sorry.  :-[ ) Anyway, it wasn't entirely clear, but I think he said he was trying to stop fighting with the paparazzi and talking to them instead. 
"A patriot must always be prepared to defend his country against his government." Edward Abbey

Offline Roco

• SERENDIPITY
  • Obsessed
  • Academy Award Winner!
    • roco remembers
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2007, 09:04:10 AM »
THE PATRIOT first brought Heath to my attention.
It was the first time he moved me to tears.
He has done so, many times since then.

It's interesting to watch early films like TEN THINGS
and see how he has grown as an actor and an individual.

In my opinion, he is one of the best actors of his generation,
and he is still growing and maturing as a person and actor.

Any film he is in is worth a look-see!
“The levels of intimacy and emotion experienced within these relationships are exactly what happens within heterosexual love. And I just thought it was good to try and open some people’s minds.” - HEATH LEDGER

Offline WintersGrass

• Paint Striker
  • Obsessed
  • can't fix it...can't stand it
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2007, 11:43:16 AM »
I asked this question before, but got no response.
Has nayone ever seen the photos he takes? I read so many times that he's very into photography, I'd really like to see some of his work.

What do you folks think of the vid he made fro Ben Harper?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 01:17:22 PM by Marijke »
It's crazy what you could've had...

Offline beruthiel

• Obsessed
  • nam myoho renge kyo
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2007, 01:17:14 PM »
I saked this question before, but got no response.
Has nayone ever seen the photos he takes? I read so many times that he's very into photography, I'd really like to see some of his work.

I haven't seen any of his photographs.

I love the video for "Morning Yearning." I know he did two more videos.  Anyone know what they're called?
"A patriot must always be prepared to defend his country against his government." Edward Abbey

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2007, 03:36:46 PM »
I first saw Heath in AKT and LOVED it, and him, though Paul Bettany as Chaucer almost stole the film from him. I haven't seen ALL of his films, but I have seen:

The Order/The Sin Eater...really bad movie, really good Heath.

The Four Feathers...not a great movie, but I liked it enough to buy a copy.   ;)

10 Things...I watch it every time it is on TV...that place where the paintball game took place is five blocks from where I grew up, in Seattle.  Heath was just irresistable as Patric. 

The Patriot...Heath was good, didn't like the movie.

The Brothers Grimm....silly, goofy, fun.  Heath is adorable.

Lords of Dogtown....Heath was quite good in this role, I thought, even with those teeth.   :D

Monster's Ball.....I loved this film, and Heath's Sonny just about broke my heart....His ability to convey so much pain was first seen there...no wonder Diana Ossanna saw Ennis.

Casanova....silly, goofy fun.  Heath looks as if he is having the time of his life. 

-Jackie

Oh, and he did some movie with sheep in it that I've seen, oh about 60-70 times, now.  I kinda like that one. 
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2007, 04:29:11 PM »
I first saw Heath in AKT and LOVED it, and him, though Paul Bettany as Chaucer almost stole the film from him. I haven't seen ALL of his films, but I have seen:

The Order/The Sin Eater...really bad movie, really good Heath.

Sadly, The Sin Eater is probably one of the worse movies I've ever seen, Heath or no Heath.  I found it so excruciatingly boring that I couldn't even watch it all in one sitting!  I don't think I've had to do that with any other movie, except maybe The Best of Youth, but that doesn't count because it's over 6 hours long,  The Sin Eater just FELT like six hours long.  The ONLY good thing about the movie was seeing Heath as a sexy priest.  Being an ex-catholic I found that quite titillating, lol!  It's hard to believe that it's from the same guy who directed A Knight's Tale which for all its faults is at least an energetic and fun romp.

I didn't like The Patriot much either, I found it a bit too.. I don't know, patriotic, lol!  Even Heath's performance didn't impress me, I think it's his weakest.  Of course, I like to blame Mel Gibson for that,  he probably intimidated him ;)

I've seen , and own, all of Heath's films (except for Blackrock, which isn't avaliable in region 1) and those are the only two that have disappointed me.  I also have ROAR, and while it is a pretty cheesy show, comparable to Xena,  it's definitely a must-have for any devout Heathen.  (and yes, I'm talking about those tight leather pants, lol!)
"This is an island. Surrounded by water. Big water. Ocean water." - Trump

Offline ruth

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2007, 07:57:37 PM »
This is going to make me odd person out here, but I really intensely dislike A Knight's Tale. I can't even watch it for Heath's sake (sorry buddy). Although I feel The Order is a worse movie, I think I'd rather sit down and watch that than AKT.  Inexplicable, I know.

I do like me some Roar action though! Felt like the series was just starting to take off when it was canceled, which is often the way with TV shows...takes em a season to establish all the characters and make sure everyone understands what it's all about. Second season is when the good writing usually kicks in. I wonder what would have become of Heath's career had they signed on for further seasons? anything different?

• Obsessed
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2007, 06:00:50 AM »
I asked this question before, but got no response.

Theresa over on Heathledgercentral may be able to tell you if his photos are available to look at. She knows pretty much everything.

I watched the vid once - it was okay. I didn't think it was anything special but on my computer anything looks crap.

Offline ruth

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2007, 10:42:19 AM »
I think the Morning Yearning vid was kinda nice---liked the ethereal light. But it's just a nice peaceful tune that I like anyway, so...  The vids he directed for N'fa--leastways the one with the stark shadows and light---kind of reminded me of his big black square tattoo!  I don't know know why, he's got a real definitive taste in art it seems which wouldn't be something that I personally care for (although the square tat is growing on me---but if he ever decides to have that one removed, owie!!).
I dunno, I guess I look at these vids as "the artist's early work" during his formative directorial years. Be interesting to see where he goes from here, if it's something he is going to seriously pursue.

There is a Terry Gilliam news blog and here is the post for 2007, which has the following paragraph:

"In April, there was rumour that Gilliam and Heath Ledger would team up to make a video for American indie rock band Modest Mouse. Frontman Isaac Brook told Dose that the selected track is King Rat, and added, "We kind of befriended Heath Ledger a while back through our tour manager, and he'd been wanting to do a video. Just recently, a couple of days ago, he [Ledger] said Terry Gilliam wants to animate it. So, that's really fucking exciting." "

http://www.smart.co.uk/dreams/tgnews07.htm

The blog also mentions Terry's new project, the film called "The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus" that Heath is supposedly already cast in one of the starring roles in, along with Tom Waits. 

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2007, 12:56:35 PM »

I am putting this here, because I guess that just about says it all (in his own words).

FUNGURL

Offline CANSTANDIT

• Obsessed
  • Special Brokeback Victims Unit
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2007, 10:37:19 PM »
Good Morning!

I was going to say yesterday when this new thread was up ( Hello  :) and Thank you so much CellarDweller115 ! ), my recommendation for Heath's films after BBM is, as follows (chlonological order) in terms of his performance wise.

Monster's Ball (even though he appears only first 40 minites but his existence stays in the film, great!)

Lords of Dogtown

Candy

I was particularly very surprised by his acting skills in Candy that a lot of people called it as his Post-Brokeback performance.
He is not afraid of showing his vulnerable side in front of the camera and acting sympathetically to the character he plays.
It's in a way nice to see how he grew and matured as an actor if you compare that with him in Two Hands. :)

I thoght Dan (Heath in Candy) was so sweet  and he seemed to charm  ???both woman (Abby Cornish) and man (Jeffery Rush) in the film but I should stop here, because this is supposed to be a serious discussion thread ! :-X

Hi, Katiebre ! How are you? ;)

Hello gres, I hope you'll enjyoy 10 things ! please come back to talk about our Patric later (either seriously here or completely screaming like a hysterical teenager at the Planet thread) !? ;D

Hello Canstandit, I know what you mean by his row performance ! I tend to like methodic-actor.

Hi, Oilgun, I must see Tideland I haven't seen it yet !

Hi, Pickle! yeah, he is a natural with the Method-his Ennis personifies this, IMO. I think the more extreme the character, the greater his performances are, ya know?
Sean Penn once called it climbing in a cage, and locking it behind you-but once in the cage, you can really let go. That to me is one of the most basic descriptions of the Method I've ever heard, and Heath really embraces it, whether he knows it or not. IMO.