The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Let's Get Serious About Heath  (Read 751174 times)

Offline Heath4Ever

• Whippin' babies
  • Obsessed
  • WHERE THE BLUEBIRDS SING & THERE'S A WHISKY SPRING
Re: Let's Get Serious About Heath
« Reply #180 on: November 01, 2007, 02:52:52 AM »
Just as an obsessive observation, I thought I would mention that I thought Heath sounded a lot like Mel Gibson in "I'm Not There".

I can't work out if it's the consequence of mixing Australian and American accents or what.

I've always thought that Heath is brilliant at accents, so perhaps it is just a certain nasal quality which comes through with Australian actors (and as such is not exactly an 'accent' per se) while doing an American accent.

Any theories on this one?  Or is Heath Mel's long-lost love child?

Like I say, it's just an obsessive little observation.....

Heath 4 Oscar

That's all we've got. I hope you know that.

Offline afhickman

• Experienced
« Reply #181 on: November 01, 2007, 04:10:40 AM »
I did find his accent odd.  But, as to his character in the film, his story seemed to be made up of bits and pieces from other stars' films and scandals.  I'm thinking particularly of Steve McQueen and Jack Nicholson here.  Were there any British stars in that period with a reputation for being heels? 

Had he wanted to do a strict American accent, we all know he's capable of it. 
The mountain has wings.

Offline Heath4Ever

• Whippin' babies
  • Obsessed
« Reply #182 on: November 01, 2007, 05:58:07 AM »
I agree with you, afhickman.  Whereas it was Sensitive Heath in "Candy", in "I'm Not There" it is definitely Butch Heath.

Yes, shades of Steve McQueen and Jack Nicholson.  With a dash of Charles Bronson and a young Marlon Brando thrown in for good measure too, I reckon.

I'm not saying it doesn't work.  In fact, Heath's performance intrigued me.  Certainly worked well in the context of the misogynistic character he was portraying.

For those who have yet to see the movie, Heath plays an aspect of Bob Dylan's life rather than the man himself.  Heath does not attempt to be Bob (unlike Cate Blanchette and Christian Bale) - he simply plays a macho character.  Presumably this is to reflect the painful breakdown of Dylan's marriage.

Life imitating art?  Ouch.

Heath 4 Oscar

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #183 on: November 01, 2007, 06:59:53 AM »
I'm enjoying this chat about the film. More please.

Offline Heath4Ever

• Whippin' babies
  • Obsessed
« Reply #184 on: November 02, 2007, 03:25:10 AM »
OK, I'll have to give this some thought.  Must be some pearls of wisdom I can dredge up.....

In the meantime, one more obsessive observation about Heath in "I'm Not There" - some of his shirts are decidedly Brokeback!

But, come to think about it, some of Jake's shirts in "Rendition" were very Brokeback too.  And in "Zodiac".  Blimey, only just realised that!

Have Ennis and Jack started a fashion trend?

H4O

• Obsessed
« Reply #185 on: November 02, 2007, 03:41:03 AM »
I think everything is Brokeback to us brokies these days.

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #186 on: November 02, 2007, 07:23:33 PM »

Have Ennis and Jack started a fashion trend?

I guess you haven't been to the mall in the last couple of years have you? ;-)
Most men's casual clothing shops have been filled with plaid western style shirts This is especially true with the Guess label.  And I'm sure that BbM was the inspiration.  My closet is full of them from receiving them as gifts because everyone knows I'm a terminal Brokie.

Does anyone have the I'm not There soundtrack?  I just ordered it from Amazon and I can't wait. My CD stores still didn't have it and knew nothing about it.  (EDIT:  I cancelled my Amazon order because I just found a copy and I'm listening to it now, so far it's pretty good.  Dark Eyes by Iron & Wine is amazing!) 

Also there is an I'm Not There concert in New York Nov 8th with several of the CD's performers and Heath and Todd Haynes are listed as special guests.  You can go to the INT website for more info.

My apologies if this has been brought up already, I didn't check the whole thread.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 02:14:49 PM by oilgun »
"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline Roco

• SERENDIPITY
  • Obsessed
  • Academy Award Winner!
    • roco remembers
« Reply #187 on: November 03, 2007, 07:31:24 PM »
Ledger, Penn take part in Malick's 'Life'
30 October 2007 (The Hollywood Reporter)

Heath Ledger and Sean Penn are in talks to star in Tree of Life, with River Road Entertainment finally bringing writer-director Terrence Malick's long-gestating drama to life.

Ledger would take the lead opposite an actress to be determined, with Penn in a supporting role.

Malick also is in talks, with principal photography set to begin in March.

River Road founder Bill Pohlad will produce with Sarah Green, Malick's producer on his last feature The New World.

The film's plot has been closely guarded, but is described by an insider as a complex drama.

New World lead Colin Farrell was in talks to star in the feature two years ago, with about a third of the shoot set for India, but the star and location are no longer part of the project.

If anyone has the muscle to bring Life to the screen, it's River Road.

The company produced Focus Features' highest-grossing film Brokeback Mountain starring Ledger, and Penn's recent directorial effort for Paramount Vantage, Into the Wild.

Other projects the outfit has partly or totally produced and financed include Focus' Lust, Caution and the recent Roadside Attractions pickup Chicago 10.

Penn has been a longtime Malick supporter and friend, starring in his war drama The Thin Red Line. Ledger appears in I'm Not There and next summer's Batman feature The Dark Knight.

Ledger, Penn and Malick are repped by CAA.
“The levels of intimacy and emotion experienced within these relationships are exactly what happens within heterosexual love. And I just thought it was good to try and open some people’s minds.” - HEATH LEDGER

• Obsessed
« Reply #188 on: November 03, 2007, 07:41:08 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/movies/moviesspecial/04lyal.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=moviesspecial

Just in case anyone missed the link elsewhere. An excellent interview with Heath.

Offline CANSTANDIT

• Obsessed
  • Special Brokeback Victims Unit
« Reply #189 on: November 03, 2007, 09:13:59 PM »
Ledger, Penn take part in Malick's 'Life'
30 October 2007 (The Hollywood Reporter)

Heath Ledger and Sean Penn are in talks to star in Tree of Life, with River Road Entertainment finally bringing writer-director Terrence Malick's long-gestating drama to life.

Ledger would take the lead opposite an actress to be determined, with Penn in a supporting role.

Malick also is in talks, with principal photography set to begin in March.

River Road founder Bill Pohlad will produce with Sarah Green, Malick's producer on his last feature The New World.

The film's plot has been closely guarded, but is described by an insider as a complex drama.

New World lead Colin Farrell was in talks to star in the feature two years ago, with about a third of the shoot set for India, but the star and location are no longer part of the project.

If anyone has the muscle to bring Life to the screen, it's River Road.

The company produced Focus Features' highest-grossing film Brokeback Mountain starring Ledger, and Penn's recent directorial effort for Paramount Vantage, Into the Wild.

Other projects the outfit has partly or totally produced and financed include Focus' Lust, Caution and the recent Roadside Attractions pickup Chicago 10.

Penn has been a longtime Malick supporter and friend, starring in his war drama The Thin Red Line. Ledger appears in I'm Not There and next summer's Batman feature The Dark Knight.

Ledger, Penn and Malick are repped by CAA.

ah, this is so satisfying...Sean Penn was an obsession of mine many, many years ago; the idea of both in the same movie is going to make smoke come out of my ears, right there in the theater, I'm tellin ya.

Offline bmca

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #190 on: November 03, 2007, 09:35:06 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/movies/moviesspecial/04lyal.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=moviesspecial

Just in case anyone missed the link elsewhere. An excellent interview with Heath.

It's hard to find a serious young actor these days. I really respect him.

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #191 on: November 05, 2007, 07:12:29 AM »
Despite their recent split, Michelle Williams, 27, and Heath Ledger, 28, put any hard feelings behind them to host a party for their daughter Matilda Rose’s second birthday October 28.

The actors partied in the Brooklyn brownstone the family shared before the separation in September. A party-goer claimed there was no frostiness between the former couple during day’s festivities.

Heath and Michelle got along very well. There's no bad feelings and everyone had fun.

The witness said the gaggle of children at the party received "roses with their names on them. It was very sweet."

Sources claimed Michelle and Heath plan to sell their Brooklyn home; Heath moved into his own place in SoHo, and Michelle, who felt the home was too big for herself and Matilda, plans to move to Manhattan as well.

Source: Page Six

FUNGURL

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #192 on: November 05, 2007, 07:13:48 AM »

Does Matilda continue to live with Michelle?

WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

• Obsessed
« Reply #193 on: November 05, 2007, 07:17:15 AM »
I get the impression She is more with Michelle than Heath but he is a very hands-on daddy and will be with his daughter as much as is humanly possible.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #194 on: November 05, 2007, 07:17:58 AM »

ok, that's what I thought...

WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.