The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Let's Get Serious About Heath  (Read 751576 times)

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
Re: Let's Get Serious About Heath
« Reply #885 on: April 14, 2008, 01:35:32 PM »
I actually think that nearly all of Heath's films are poor; mediocre at best.  He is easily the best thing about Lords of Dogtown and Brothers Grimm (anybody else think that Terry Gilliam is over-rated?). 

Few young actors get good material, and many actors never get good material.  He was just hitting his stride....

I don't agree with that at all!   Many of his films were nominated for and or won Oscars.........Brokeback Mountain, Monsters Ball, The Patriot, I'm Not There.    I thought  A Knights Tale was wonderful and so was Casanova.   

I actually liked Lords, with or without Heath in it.  And I am thinking this new Batman film is going to be a big hit!

But yea you can only do so much in the short time he had and I think he did alot!  :'(

Brokeback will end up being his best film.........and I honestly feel that would have been a hard act to follow anyway!

FUNGURL

Offline cazzyj

• Missing our absent Whisperer
  • Obsessed
  • The white trash of slash
« Reply #886 on: April 14, 2008, 01:38:53 PM »
But yea you can only do so much in the short time he had and I think he did alot!  :'(

You bet!  :-*
"If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever" 

Get up, get out, get away from these liars.
Cause they don't get your soul, or your fire.
- Snow Patrol

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #887 on: April 14, 2008, 06:54:24 PM »

I actually think that nearly all of Heath's films are poor; mediocre at best.  He is easily the best thing about Lords of Dogtown and Brothers Grimm (anybody else think that Terry Gilliam is over-rated?). 

Few young actors get good material, and many actors never get good material.  He was just hitting his stride....

Okay, my assessment:

Black Rock - adequate drama film. Nothing special but not poor.
Two Hands - good little film. It won awards here in Oz. Better than mediocre, even if I don't like Bryan Brown
The Patriot - can't say I like Mel Gibson either, and the gung-ho ending puts me off but standard film fare
10 Things - great teen flick. It's a good film for what it is
A Knight's Tale - as above. Pleasant entertainment. Better than mediocre
The Order - yeah, okay ...
Ned Kelly - good film although I quibble about the script in places
4 Feathers - I like it. I'd call it good
Monster's Ball - very good film although not one I'd willingly watch again, beyond the first half hour
Lords Of Dogtown - I love this film. I think it's an excellent film, Heath or no Heath
Brothers Grimm - I like Gilliam films and this one, while a mess, is charming
Casanova - good pleasant fare
BBM - it was okay
Candy - excellent little film
I'm Not There - totally loved it. Such a clever film

Even the very worst of his films aren't truly rotten. I wish he'd had the chance to show us more but it didn't happen. But what we've got left are a bunch of okay to brilliant films with no true stinkers, and Heath hangs on to his integrity in all of them.

Offline cazzyj

• Obsessed
« Reply #888 on: April 14, 2008, 06:58:04 PM »
10 Things - great teen flick. It's a good film for what it is
A Knight's Tale - as above. Pleasant entertainment. Better than mediocre
The Order - yeah, okay ...
Ned Kelly - good film although I quibble about the script in places
4 Feathers - I like it. I'd call it good
Monster's Ball - very good film although not one I'd willingly watch again, beyond the first half hour
Lords Of Dogtown - I love this film. I think it's an excellent film, Heath or no Heath
Brothers Grimm - I like Gilliam films and this one, while a mess, is charming
Casanova - good pleasant fare
BBM - it was okay
Candy - excellent little film
I'm Not There - totally loved it. Such a clever film

LMAO!

- Snow Patrol

Offline Serendipity

• Obsessed
« Reply #889 on: April 15, 2008, 04:58:57 AM »
I didn't like Monster's Ball at all. I couldn't watch it when it came out. But then when I read that they cast Heath for BBM after seeing him in Monster's Ball, I wanted to see him in it. I watched it till....you know..... and then I stopped. Heath blew everyone else out of the water as regards acting I think, even Halle Berry. If he had been in it longer he would have stolen the show.

I watched Candy yesterday. It was sad but beautiful and Heath was amazing - that fullface shot of him in the car when she is doing her bit in the shop is incredible. Because my 26 yo stepson is an addict I could relate in a strange way and it was very true to our lives. It shown the attraction and appeal of that lifestyle without making it attractive or appealing.

I have The Order waiting to be watched now.
"Serendipity is to look for something, find something else, and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs than what you thought you were looking for." Lawrence Block

• Obsessed
« Reply #890 on: April 15, 2008, 05:04:20 AM »
I'm so glad you watched Candy. I love the shot where he hears Candy is pregnant. That beautiful still face with just the smallest of expressions crossing it, and yet conveying everything - wonderful.

Offline Serendipity

• Obsessed
« Reply #891 on: April 15, 2008, 05:19:21 AM »
I'm glad I watched it - thanks for the recommendation  8)
"Serendipity is to look for something, find something else, and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs than what you thought you were looking for." Lawrence Block

Offline moomoo

• Feet Wet
« Reply #892 on: April 15, 2008, 08:33:58 AM »
I like all of Heath's movies but haven't seen his earliest work yet mainly because it's not easily accessible for renting.  Eventually I will buy them, I guess.  I feel similarly about MOnster's Ball as many here, love Candy, really like the Brothers Grimm (for Italian character and Jonathan Pryce's hysterical Frenchman -- Giiliam really does a grand job on the French), etc. etc.  Saw THe Four Feathers again recently and Heath is great (even does a fantastic jumping on the back of a trotting horse stund and he always looks so beautifully natural on a horse).  Regarding The Order, I liked it more the second time.  Scene where he finds Mara dead is great and I like the twist of killing the Sin Eater/Becoming the Sin Eater.

Saw this this morning http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351197,00.html  Sounds like from the people who gave you Heath's Nick Drake video being "a cry for help."  If it's not a quote from an actor (if the source remains unidentified) it's just garbage gossip I'd say.

• Obsessed
« Reply #893 on: April 15, 2008, 08:53:29 AM »
Sounds like the usual old crap, and doesn't tally with what Chris Nolan and others were saying. I prefer to believe people who put their names to their words, like Verne Troyer. We all know that Heath spent about the same amount of time holed up in a hotel working on Ennis too, and while filming, he was not as approachable as some, simply because he was trying to keep the mood and trying to do the best job he could. You can make anything sound bad if you really try.

Mark you, I can see him having fun with the Joker but who wouldn't.

And if he was so screwed up in London, how come he was out dancing with his friend and being his standard wonderful self. I suspect the people who peddle this tripe don't have the first and faintest idea of what he was really like.

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #894 on: April 15, 2008, 09:02:34 AM »
I didn't like Monster's Ball at all. I couldn't watch it when it came out. But then when I read that they cast Heath for BBM after seeing him in Monster's Ball, I wanted to see him in it. I watched it till....you know..... and then I stopped. Heath blew everyone else out of the water as regards acting I think, even Halle Berry. If he had been in it longer he would have stolen the show.

I watched Candy yesterday. It was sad but beautiful and Heath was amazing - that fullface shot of him in the car when she is doing her bit in the shop is incredible. Because my 26 yo stepson is an addict I could relate in a strange way and it was very true to our lives. It shown the attraction and appeal of that lifestyle without making it attractive or appealing.

I have The Order waiting to be watched now.

Candy was hard to watch, yet his performace was GREAT. He should have received more attention for that movie.

Monster's Ball was disturbing and Heath's performance was outstanding. He should have gotten a Oscar nomination for that role. I still can not believe that Halle Berry got one for her role? Heath out did her and Billy Bob. This is just my opinion.

Offline moomoo

• Feet Wet
« Reply #895 on: April 15, 2008, 09:10:52 AM »
Yeah, nameless outsiders, bystanders may judge or misinterpret Heath's behavior, if this isn't totally a fabrication, and then put their two cents in.  Sure I'd like to know why he was wearing a ski mask his last night but I cannot conjecture because there may be a totally innocent reason, I mean he was famous ...

Uh, I didn't mean to say I like the Bros Grimm just for Peter Stormare and Jonathan Pryce.  Heath's performance, relationship bet. the brothers (the duet of Heath and Matt Damon), the special effects woven so well into the story which I find somewhat touching (and I feel that fairytales have so much truth and connection with this world and life), and even the gypsy music.

Offline moomoo

• Feet Wet
« Reply #896 on: April 15, 2008, 09:13:15 AM »
As Eric Roberts says in the interview where he calls Heath a sweetie pie who deserved the Oscar for Monsters Ball, you don't get Oscars when you deserve them and I'd say that not all who get them deserve them.  Right.

Offline ellye

• Obsessed
« Reply #897 on: April 15, 2008, 09:44:05 AM »
Sounds like the usual old crap, and doesn't tally with what Chris Nolan and others were saying. I prefer to believe people who put their names to their words, like Verne Troyer. We all know that Heath spent about the same amount of time holed up in a hotel working on Ennis too, and while filming, he was not as approachable as some, simply because he was trying to keep the mood and trying to do the best job he could. You can make anything sound bad if you really try.

Mark you, I can see him having fun with the Joker but who wouldn't.

And if he was so screwed up in London, how come he was out dancing with his friend and being his standard wonderful self. I suspect the people who peddle this tripe don't have the first and faintest idea of what he was really like.

Makes you wonder what these muck rakers would have done if Heath had died from being knocked down by a car driven by a drunk driver or something that was clearly someone elses fault.

Offline cazzyj

• Obsessed
« Reply #898 on: April 15, 2008, 09:54:32 AM »
As Eric Roberts says in the interview where he calls Heath a sweetie pie who deserved the Oscar for Monsters Ball, you don't get Oscars when you deserve them and I'd say that not all who get them deserve them.  Right.

that interview makes me mad, though.  The interviewer didn't want to hear how great Heath was, all she wanted was some "dirt" on his lifestyle to sensationalize the story.  Foxnews is shite.   >:(

- Snow Patrol

Offline Serendipity

• Obsessed
« Reply #899 on: April 15, 2008, 11:01:42 AM »
I've just sat down to watch The Order only to find it was some crap movie from 2007 called The Last Sin Eater. What a disappointment. So am watching Patriot again.....