The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Let's Get Serious About Heath  (Read 751620 times)

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
Let's Get Serious About Heath
« on: September 06, 2007, 06:37:17 AM »
This is where we talk about Heath's movies and acting roles, his cooking skills, his political activities, anything about him except how damn hot he is.     

Please keep Photo Image size to 806X640, and keep in mind that silliness is welcome in the "Planet Heath" thread.

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
Re: Let's Get Serious About Heath
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 06:38:31 AM »
His cooking skills? He did used to trawl the Net, looking for lasagne recipes.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 06:41:46 AM »
While I am the Mod here, I must admit that the only Heath film I've seen is Brokeback.

So, Heathens, educate me....what is the next "must see" film that Heath has been in that I need to get?

• Obsessed
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 06:43:04 AM »
Okay, I'll be serious. I think Heath is a work in progress. Some of his earlier performances are rather raw but even back as far as "Black Rock" he had a certain bravery in how he acted. He does not play a role in a stock-standard way. He seems to head for something slightly off-centre, and usually finds some quality that makes his character understandable.

And he is fearless in the way he attacks roles. He has no problem with making himself look a little foolish or soft or weak. Heath, oddly enough, is not leading man material as much as he is a character actor.

Serious enough?

Offline Katiebre

• No surrender
  • Obsessed
  • Und was wie ewig schien, ist schon Vergangenheit.
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 06:44:16 AM »
His cooking skills? He did used to trawl the Net, looking for lasagne recipes.

I remember him saying in one interview he likes cooking, and his favourite is cooking "guessipes".
Is this really living, sometimes it's hard to tell
Or is this just a kinder, gentler hell

One of these mornings you're gonna rise, rise and sing, you're gonna spread your wings and take to the sky...

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 06:53:25 AM »
I think he is wonderful.  I have seen all his films and I thought he was great even before Brokeback, but I thought that part was his best (obviously).  I see him alot like Johnny Depp in many ways.

Same sense of style, career going down a similar path.  Not always making the safest choices with his career, but going for the parts he loves and that matter to him.  I think he is a wonderful actor and not just eye candy.  It is only a matter of time before he gets an Oscar.

Chuck for just sheer fun I would check out Casanova, I rented it not expecting much and then turned around and bought it.

FUNGURL

Offline Katiebre

• No surrender
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 06:55:53 AM »
While I am the Mod here, I must admit that the only Heath film I've seen is Brokeback.

So, Heathens, educate me....what is the next "must see" film that Heath has been in that I need to get?

Depends on your taste.

As you will know by now (after they were extensively discussed on The Planet), "I'm not there", about Bob Dylan, and "Batman" are the next films coming up. I will try to watch "I'm not there" (as I said, I would almost bet on it not being shown in my town, but thank god there's such a thing as DVD rentals!), but I'm not too interested in this batman stuff, although I loved the batman comics as a kid (and superman, and red flash or whatever his name is in English). I find him rather scary-looking in his joker make-up.

I didn't see all of his films (yet).

I found him seriously hot attractive in The Order/Sin Eater (two names for the same film, which as a movie is not much to write home about), 10 Things, the Patriot and Casanova.

10 Things and Casanova are really good fun, not serious movies, but simply enjoyable. It is interesting to see him as a very young man in 10 Things. And when I watched it, I felt that there were a number of moments when I was reminded of Ennis by what he did with his face.
The Patriot is very gory, and very heroic, not quite my type of thing. But nevertheless an entertaining story.

I also saw Ned Kelly, and I must say I don't like him with the beard. The story is interesting though. The underdogs' fight for justice.

Oh yes, and then there's of course Candy. More serious stuff, and well worth watching, even though it has been pointed out that both Dan and Candy look too attractive for junkies right through to the end.

So, take your pick - I'd say it depends on what kinds of movie you enjoy.

(Phew, not so easy to stay serious and not drift off into silly stuff...!)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 07:03:58 AM by Katiebre »

One of these mornings you're gonna rise, rise and sing, you're gonna spread your wings and take to the sky...

Offline Katiebre

• No surrender
  • Obsessed
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 07:01:12 AM »
Chuck for just sheer fun I would check out Casanova, I rented it not expecting much and then turned around and bought it.

Same here.

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 07:01:13 AM »
Is this silly?  :'(

I hate the way you talk to me,

and the way you cut your hair.

I hate the way you drive my car,

I hate it when you stare.

I hate your big dumb combat boots

and the way you read my mind.

I hate you so much it makes me sick,

it even makes me rhyme.

I hate the way you’re always right,

I hate it when you lie.

I hate it when you make me laugh,

even worse when you make me cry.

I hate it when you’re not around,

and the fact that you didn’t call.

But mostly I hate the way I don’t hate you,

not even close…

not even a little bit…

not even at all.

FUNGURL

• Obsessed
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 07:11:53 AM »
Chuck, I started with Ned Kelly, seeing it for the story not the star, and I was very impressed by the way Heath handled the role of Australia's national anti-hero. The history is a bit shaky but Heath has a certain quality about him which reflects Ned's own magnetic personality.

Lords Of Dogtown is a great film. Skateboarding? Not my topic at all, yet it was an intelligent, warm and well-made little indie film and once again Heath was fabulous, playing Skip with a complete lack of ego.

Two Hands is okay as a film but Heath is soooo good. Like I said, he's not afraid to just dive in and lose himself in a role.

Candy is another good film. Everyone in it is very very good but Heath rises about them all. Seriously. He's almost too good to play against.

I think if you watch enough of his films you'll be struck by his ability to totally change himself. CSI says he's a chameleon. He is never the same twice. Quite remarkable. And he doesn't play off his looks or charm, unless it's part of the character, as in Casanova.

That should keep you going for a while.

Offline Ruby

• Honorary Scandinavian
  • Obsessed
  • and here we.....go
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 07:13:07 AM »
Not silly at all Lola, that was one of the best moments in 10 Things.   That and Lords of Dogtown are the Heath movies I'd recommend.  :)
                'shimmering golden silk threaded with starlight' (Shades of Grey by Midwest Girl)

Offline Katiebre

• No surrender
  • Obsessed
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 07:14:30 AM »
I think if you watch enough of his films you'll be struck by his ability to totally change himself.

That's so true, Marian.

As I said on the Planet - I think Heath's performance in BBM was absolutely outstanding, absolutely!, but when I see the movie I never think of Heath, only Ennis. There's no Heath in there.

Offline Ruby

• Honorary Scandinavian
  • Obsessed
  • and here we.....go
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 07:15:41 AM »
Absolutely right about Heath disappearing in his movies, particularly with Ennis.  But in LOD too, I wasn't entirely sure at first that it was Heath!  :D
                'shimmering golden silk threaded with starlight' (Shades of Grey by Midwest Girl)

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 07:18:26 AM »
Not silly at all Lola, that was one of the best moments in 10 Things.   That and Lords of Dogtown are the Heath movies I'd recommend.  :)

My kids use to big skatboarders, so I thought I would check it out, again not expecting much.  I liked it, I thought he was good in it, again a totally different part of him.

My kids also owned A Knights Tale long ago, they LOVE that movie.  I bought the Partriot, I really liked that movie.  Checked out Monsters Ball when it came out because of Halle and the Oscar nods.  Thought it was a dark movie, but well done, Heath looked great in that.

FUNGURL

• Obsessed
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 07:20:13 AM »
Yes, Ruby! I had that moment of Huh? when he appeared. He was remarkable. And he was so likable. For all his annoying ways, Skip came across as a likable character. When his boys started being taken away I felt so sorry for him. He was real. There was a feeling of depth to his character.