The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Let's Get Serious About Heath  (Read 748005 times)

Offline Ruby

• Honorary Scandinavian
  • Obsessed
  • and here we.....go
Re: Let's Get Serious About Heath
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 07:24:41 AM »
AKT is quite fun!  And I love his British accent. 

I didn't like Monster's Ball.  I thought it started out promising and that it was going to deal with some important issues, but as the movie went on I have to admit I found it rather dull and didn't sympathise with any of the characters  :-[.  The most interesting one was gone too soon!      I very nearly switched it off without getting to the end and I rarely do that.   :-\   I'm suprised at how much I didn't like this movie actually  :D

I really only checked it out because of Diana Ossana saying that she found her Ennis watching Heath in this. 
                'shimmering golden silk threaded with starlight' (Shades of Grey by Midwest Girl)

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 07:30:44 AM »
Alot of people didn't like it, the critics seemed to like it though.  And it did win Halle her Oscar.  Come to think of it Heath was kind of Ennis like in that.

FUNGURL

Offline Ruby

• Honorary Scandinavian
  • Obsessed
  • and here we.....go
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 07:33:15 AM »
For all his annoying ways, Skip came across as a likable character. When his boys started being taken away I felt so sorry for him. He was real. There was a feeling of depth to his character.

I agree.  It was this movie that made me realise Heath's physicality and how he uses his body when he acts (no snickers in the back row, I'm trying to be serious here  ;)).  This character is almost the anti-Ennis in the way he moves so freely.  Heath must have really had to reign himself in to be so still as E.    One of my favourite moments in LOD is the scene on the roof, when he lies back and drapes himself over the edge of the parapet.  And the 'Maggie May' scene where he is working on the board.  Physical grace in spades in both those moments.     
                'shimmering golden silk threaded with starlight' (Shades of Grey by Midwest Girl)

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 07:35:46 AM »
yes, I agree. So loose and graceful in his odd way.

And how could I forget Monster's Ball!! Chuck, you must watch it, although most of it is forgettable. You'll know when you can stop watching. It's a shocking scene. Heath is utterly brilliant as Sonny.

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 07:45:22 AM »

FUNGURL

• Obsessed
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 07:49:18 AM »
Those false teeth make his mouth look so cute. Oops. so much for seriousness. And the kid in the middle is in serious danger of becoming totally naked.

Offline Katiebre

• No surrender
  • Obsessed
  • Und was wie ewig schien, ist schon Vergangenheit.
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 07:54:40 AM »
Just reading about "Lords of Dogtown".

Isn't it funny that a decisive contest for the skateboard team took place in the town of Del Mar?!
Is this really living, sometimes it's hard to tell
Or is this just a kinder, gentler hell

One of these mornings you're gonna rise, rise and sing, you're gonna spread your wings and take to the sky...

Offline joycedavenport

• Membership_deactivated.
  • Expert
  • Gold star girl. Sexy Lady Lawyer.
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 07:56:41 AM »
I have to say I found the teeth in LOD a distraction. Apparently they were Heath's idea. If I had been the director I would have said: PUT. THE. TEETH. DOWN.  ;D
It's never about the soda.

You take care a my Jack.  Madlori.  Zero at the Bone.

• Obsessed
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 08:02:34 AM »
Just reading about "Lords of Dogtown".

Isn't it funny that a decisive contest for the skateboard team took place in the town of Del Mar?!

In an earlier Jake film, the delightful and also rather serious "October Sky" his character goes to a town where he sees a cinema called the Ennesse Theatre.

Joyce, interesting about the teeth. That's a rather Heathy thing to do. They are a bit distracting, I agree, but very like him to uglify himself. He was also adamant in Ned Kelly that he would have the full authentic beard, even though the director didn't want him to. As a good Aussie, Heath wouldn't play Ned with anything less than the full face fuzz.

Offline beruthiel

• Obsessed
  • nam myoho renge kyo
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 08:33:51 AM »
Oooo, a new thread!

I quite liked Heath in Lords of Dogtown.  He sort of reminded me of Val Kilmer, though.  (Not a bad thing, just odd.)

I think I like his work in most of his movies, although Monster's Ball is just so hard to watch.  I wasn't really rooting for anyone because no one was very likeable.  :-\
"A patriot must always be prepared to defend his country against his government." Edward Abbey

Offline Uli

• The Daylight Hallucination
  • Obsessed
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 09:08:11 AM »
Hey, a serious Heath thread!

I always thought it was unfair, that only us Lashers had to be serious... ::) ;D

To keep it a little bit on topic: My favourite Heath movies (besides BBM of course):

Candy
Two Hands
Monsters Ball

I think I would have "enjoyed" (not sure if "enjoy" is the correct word, when speaking about Candy and Monsters Ball  :-\ :D) those even without Heath being in them... (I cannot say that for all his other movies I have to admit... But still I have to have them all... :-[  ;D  I think the only ones missing in my collection are now Lords of Dogtown (which is also the only one I haven't seen so far) and Ned Kelly)
When I feel the warmth of your very soul
I forget I'm cold and crying
When your lips touch mine and I lose control
I forget I'm old and dying

Martin L. Gore - Damaged People

Offline Hasuo

• Feet Wet
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 09:14:41 AM »
And let's not forget Four Feathers, in which he plays an almost silent role--and does one of the most amazing stunts I've ever seen an actor do.

Offline Ruby

• Honorary Scandinavian
  • Obsessed
  • and here we.....go
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 09:20:28 AM »
Thanks for the reminder Hasuo - I enjoyed Four Feathers.  Needed more action though I reckon!   
 I can't recall the stunt  :-[ what was it?

Offline pickle

• Obsessed
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 09:38:35 AM »
Thanks for the reminder Hasuo - I enjoyed Four Feathers.  Needed more action though I reckon!   
 I can't recall the stunt  :-[ what was it?

Sorry to interrupt but didn't Hasuo means that the stunt action where Heath goes back to the horse while it's running during the fight scene?

Ruby you can watch that on this edited vid. if you don't mind listen to  U2 music with. It's  an AMAZING STUNT by Heath!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAc_ic-CRsk
"I lived in the Twilight world for about four years. That's a very long time that demands a lot of patience on your part.
"Thank God, I had the opportunity to do smaller movies like The Runaways, Welcome to the Rileys and On the Road in between. Otherwise I'd probably have turned mad."
 Kristen Stewart

Offline Katiebre

• No surrender
  • Obsessed
  • Und was wie ewig schien, ist schon Vergangenheit.
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007, 09:51:24 AM »
Sorry to interrupt but didn't Hasuo means that the stunt action where Heath goes back to the horse while it's running during the fight scene?

This is really amazing!

(Haven't seen Four Feathers)
Is this really living, sometimes it's hard to tell
Or is this just a kinder, gentler hell

One of these mornings you're gonna rise, rise and sing, you're gonna spread your wings and take to the sky...