The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Media coverage: how are we seen?  (Read 191878 times)

Offline jim ...

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
Media coverage: how are we seen?
« on: March 16, 2006, 07:21:32 PM »
We've had a number of requests for a media thread. This thread can be just about anything you see/read/hear in the media. Here are a few questions to hopefully get you thinking!

1) Are we portrayed by the media in an accurate way?

2) Is there enough media coverage about us?  If not, what further type of coverage would you like to see?

3) Is the media in general slanted towards a more homophobic view of us?

4) Are we pleased with the increase of gay characters on television and do we feel as though they are good representations of us?

Offline estefue

• Papi Chulo
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
Re: Media coverage: how are we seen?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 09:43:49 AM »
This should be an easy one.  I would say no.  The media tends to favor stereotypes and simplistic views.  They are more likely to show pictures of men in leather chaps but would they show those men at work or with their families.  No, because "we" don't do that.  We run around in leather, in fancy clothes and since we all have money we never need to work.  As for families, we just don't have them.  We travel and play, who has time for kids?  That's why this movie is so subversive; it shows a reality that existed and still exists for many men.

Mr. Wrong

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 07:34:10 PM »
I want to talk about how we are represented on the political and news talk programs. It seems to me that we are always on the defensive-we are defending our right to marry, our right to adopt, our right to exist. Why are we never on the attack on these shows? Why don't we attack the hate and bigotry of our opponents? Put them on the defensive for once! I wish we had our own 24 hour news channel. We could shape the debate about a lot of issues.

Jason

PS

What I'm trying to say is can you imagine Jesse Jackson arguing with a racist on a newshow about his right to be Black? No, because it's absurd! so why do we dignify our right to be Gay by arguing with these same haters about our rights? the issue should be on them, on why they want to deny certain people basic human rights. I hope I'm making sense.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 07:40:22 PM by Mr. Wrong »

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
  • Footsteps in my life....leave memories in my heart
RICKY MARTIN ,tu eres mi Kiki !

Offline Biker Named Lumpy

• Experienced
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 01:35:20 AM »
I'll answer #3.  The media portrays us in ridiculous ways.  Its all for a laugh but on the other hand most of us live very private lives, so until something like BBM comes along, the public at large just gets a "ha ha" view of us.  Maybe that is changing.

I just want to see diversity embraced.. period.  Among gays and straights and everything in between.

No two of us are just alike.
I need a foot rub, Dummy. :)

spokevin

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 05:08:18 AM »
This out today in Oregon. I found this by typing in 'Brokeback Mountain' in my news search on google.

http://159.54.226.83/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060319/OPINION/60315027/1049

spokevin

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 06:11:55 AM »
I'll answer #1 again if you don't mind.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=49317

Offline jim ...

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 05:21:11 PM »
This out today in Oregon. I found this by typing in 'Brokeback Mountain' in my news search on google.

http://159.54.226.83/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060319/OPINION/60315027/1049

I think we should drop Mr. Reagan a note .... let him know how we feel!

mereagan@hotmail.com

Offline Lansdowne11

• Feet Wet
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 06:05:37 PM »
read this...http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2005512310342

This is a terribly sad story and should influence the most cold-hearted person to reconsider civil unions at the very least. These are the kinds of stories that should be all over the media, every day of the week, until people realize that most gay people live very ordinary lives... until something takes it all away.

Mr. Wrong

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 06:23:20 PM »
read this...http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2005512310342

This is a terribly sad story and should influence the most cold-hearted person to reconsider civil unions at the very least. These are the kinds of stories that should be all over the media, every day of the week, until people realize that most gay people live very ordinary lives... until something takes it all away.

This is an example of why we need our own 24 hour cable news channel. This story should be all over the media butmost of the decision makers as to what is news are straight males.  If  a story is covered by one cable news station the others usually follow the same story. And there are certain types of stories we see ad nauseam because of the make up of the newsroom . for example the murdered missing white women stories. We all know that there are missing murdered men and missing murdered women of color but they don't get the air play. We can write letters all day long to the cable networks but I don't think they will change how they choose their stories.

Offline estefue

• Papi Chulo
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 12:51:36 PM »
But who but us would watch GNN?  A gay news network is a good idea but really, what we need is for CNN to show us.

Mr. Wrong

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 01:16:55 PM »
But who but us would watch GNN?  A gay news network is a good idea but really, what we need is for CNN to show us.

They are trying more and more to be like Fox News so I don't look for that to happen.

Jason

Brokaholic

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 03:08:23 PM »
OK some of you might think this is funny some might be pissed depending on what angle you look at this from, anyway no offense intended....

I just found out that the Dutch are having all intending immigrants watch BBM as part of the cultural assimilation test.

The premise is; If you are too disgusted by the Idea or the movie, we don't want you in our country.

These Dutch guys never cease to amaze me. I must say they are the only country in the world that truly get the Idea behind freedom and equality.

http://www.michnews.com/artman/publish/article_12155.shtml

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/opinion/14130657.htm

Anyway, you got to Love the Dutch...they sure as hell do everything in style  ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 03:12:13 PM by Brokaholic »

Offline estefue

• Papi Chulo
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 06:47:48 PM »
It's not exactly like that.  They've produced a citizenship video that includes gay and lesbian couples and displays of affection.  However, there is also an edited version that does not show the scenes but does say that Dutch society includes all sorts of people in a variety of relationships including gay and that they are all citizens of the Netherlands.

karind1

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 01:40:04 AM »
A QUICK THOUGHT as i sit in a hotel room on my way to phoenix for a few days.  this ad will start some conversations.  perhaps not in a place like i was at tonight where ignorance is probably epidemic and fear of anything other than what these folk have been told since childhood is just unacceptable.  however, it will start conversations in people at least open minded enough to listen and not just talk.  what WILL open minds about how homosexuals etc. are like every other human being is not talk, not ads, not movies, but action.  for instance, a group of homosexual folk building houses for habitat for humanity gets noticed, or for flying supplies to darfur to vaccinate children or bring food and hope.  a bunch of good will ambassadors in the form of same sex love would do wonders and would get noticed by all......remember how long it took women to get the vote, and to be allowed to use birth control?  remember how long it took for civil rights folks only to get this far?  some people still hate jews....so there is lots of work to be done, but the more visible the good things we folk do the more the whole homophobic nation wakes up. just a thought.  good actions, good actions speak way louder than words. ie:  driviing an old person to a dr.'s appt, meals on wheels, teaching illiterate adults to read, stuff like that...and then the conversation starts and then they see the good in all gawds children.