The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Media coverage: how are we seen?  (Read 191944 times)

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
Re: Media coverage: how are we seen?
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2006, 08:54:51 AM »
Interesting article about Cracker Barrel and discrimination!

Cracker Barrel has in the past faced numerous lawsuits and a federal inquiry over complaints of refusing to serve black customers, discriminating against minority workers and firing gay employees. The company has taken steps to rebuild its folksy image and reach out to minorities.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/18/chrisrockmom.discrimin.ap/index.html

Seems like discrimination is alive and well and taking all sorts of forms.

FUNGURL

Casper

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 09:44:56 AM »
I read the article about Chris Rock's Mom proposed lawsuit with Cracker Barrel but, in my opinion, I don't see any discrimination.  There are times when I had to wait a considerable amount of time to be served due to a restaurant being crowded or short on help.  And, I am sure a food server passing by said to Rose Rock, "I'll be with you soon."  I don't see any proof of discrimination.  Also, a 1/2 hour wait may be exaggerated when it most likely would be 15 minutes.

I do see evidence where the defense attorney will use to Cracker Barrel's advantage when Rose Rock's following quote is read:

"He never called over the waitresses and asked, 'Why did these people sit here for a half hour without service?' " she said. "The only thing he said was we could have a free meal and neither of us wanted to eat."

The defense attorney will have a field day in Court with that oxymoron by telling the jury "why did she step foot into the restaurant if she didn't want anything to eat?"

From my experience, I never had a Manager call over a group of waitresses and say out loud, "This person has been waiting here for a 1/2 hour.  Why hasn't he had service?"

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 09:57:03 AM »
Casper, I remember considerable coverage a few years back when the chain fired a lesbian employee.  I've forgotten the end of the story.

And today's Washington Post has a story about the denial of pension death benefits (which are substantial!) to the Congressman Gerry Studds' in-Massachusetts-only husband:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/17/AR2006101701263_pf.html

Casper

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2006, 10:25:29 AM »
Casper, I remember considerable coverage a few years back when the chain fired a lesbian employee.  I've forgotten the end of the story.

Castro, I don't deny there have been instances of discrimination just like the one you stated.  But this Rose Rock case has to be judged on its own merit.

There are other companies that have been sued where discrimination can be proven. The sad part is plenty of company managers will say something discriminatory behind a closed door.  If only we could be a fly on the wall.

I just think, deep down in my heart, that Rose Rock is jumping on the bandwagon because she has heard allegations about Cracker Barrel in the past and wants to use her latest experience to get some money from the restaurant chain.  Unless some food server said a racial slur to Rose Rock, I find no basis for discriminaton regarding this individaul case.

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2006, 10:47:34 AM »

Castro, I don't deny there have been instances of discrimination just like the one you stated.  But this Rose Rock case has to be judged on its own merit.

Casper, when I said "the chain" I was talking about your post and  Cracker Barrel  story you linked.  I simply intended  followup with supporting information.  If there's a pattern of behaviors within the components of an organization, it seems to me it's  indicative of some sort of problem at higher levels.

Sorry if this wasn't clear enough.

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2006, 11:03:36 AM »
Oh I believe she waited 1/2 hour for service, I waited for 45 minutes once.  And then when they brought my food (me and my son)  I said "I wasn't hungry" I mean people can only wait so long to eat and they lose the notion.  They were nice, they packed it all up, apologized and I got the meals for nothing.

The reason I was so upset, was I was taking one my sons out for lunch for his birthday.  I guess lunch time during the week was a bad time to dine! lol   And this was not Cracker Barrel, I don't think we even have them in Canada.

The way she is probably going to prove discrimination, is IF other people were served ahead of her.

If she came in and sat down and others came in and were served before her, there is a reason for that.  And it is quite possible the waitress was a racist.

Hard to believe in 2006, but I guess it happens.

And it sounds like they have had problems in the past.  As Castro has just confirmed.  I think they could be in for it.

Just like the Oprah HERMIES incident, very bad press for them.

FUNGURL

Casper

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2006, 11:40:51 AM »
The way she is probably going to prove discrimination, is IF other people were served ahead of her.

If she came in and sat down and others came in and were served before her, there is a reason for that.  And it is quite possible the waitress was a racist.

To be adversarial, all Cracker Barrel has to do to save face and to throw this allegation out the door is to find at least two customers during that same period who testify that they waited longer than Rose Rock to be served. I'm sure this particular restaurant can find two customers to testify on their behalf.   Better yet, to Cracker Barrel's defense,  if the two customers are also African-American.  Rose Rock would then not have any basis to file discrimination charges.

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2006, 11:50:35 AM »
I really don't know what her legal chances of winning are.  But I do know something, the publicity alone is bad for them. 

And she has a rich son and she is mad as hell, this is not good! lol

FUNGURL

Casper

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2006, 11:57:02 AM »
I really don't know what her legal chances of winning are.  But I do know something, the publicity alone is bad for them. 

And she has a rich son and she is mad as hell, this is not good! lol

I agree that the publicity is not good.  Also, the Rev. Al Sharpton is jumping on the bandwagon.  I think Cracker Barrel better hire an attorney like F. Lee Bailey with a proven track record who has never lost a case.  This is one of those circumstances where you have to fight fire with fire. I'm sure Cracker Barrel can scout for two African-Amercian regular customers who frequent this particular restaurant to claim they had to wait sometimes a half hour before being served. 

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2006, 12:27:37 PM »
Rock says she and her 21-year-old daughter, the only blacks in the restaurant, were completely ignored by staff.

I guess it will have to be two African American customers from another day, because that day it sounds like they were the only two African American's in there.

I can't see what her motive would be, I doubt it would be money.  Should be interesting!

http://www.tfponline.com/absolutenm/templates/blog.aspx?articleid=6119&zoneid=11

HEY did you write this?  lol

FUNGURL

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2006, 01:15:44 PM »
Lola, Casper, anyone interested in the story:  all  you have to do is google "Cracker Barrel lawsuits."  You'll find plenty of history there. Enough, I imagine, to settle this little dispute.

Casper

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2006, 01:37:39 PM »
There are two sides to every story.

Rose Rock did not stipulate if the restaurant was very busy that day or if there was a shortage on help.  I'm sure Cracker Barrel knows of two regular Caucasian customers who happened to be dining at that same time who will testify on the restaurant's behalf that they also had to wait a 1/2 hour or even longer to be served.  Such testimony would null and void Rose Rock's discrimination claim. 

Cracker Barrel and Rose Rock may settle out of court for undisclosed millions.  This will be a "gift" to her.  If she decides to forego the settlement and pushes for a trial by jury, everything could backfire on her if Cracker Barrel hires a maverick attorney who knows how to persuade a jury in Cracker Barrel's defense.  If Cracker Barrell is acquitted, then she gets nothing, 

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2006, 01:40:07 PM »
Lola, Casper, anyone interested in the story:  all  you have to do is google "Cracker Barrel lawsuits."  You'll find plenty of history there. Enough, I imagine, to settle this little dispute.

Hmmm, see what Castro is saying Casper.   Maybe I should have sued, said they ignored me because I was "beautiful"   :D :D

Wonder what Chris Rock is saying about this, if anything.  :P

FUNGURL

Casper

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2006, 01:45:54 PM »
I waited for 45 minutes once.  And then when they brought my food (me and my son)  I said "I wasn't hungry" I mean people can only wait so long to eat and they lose the notion.  They were nice, they packed it all up, apologized and I got the meals for nothing.

The reason I was so upset, was I was taking one my sons out for lunch for his birthday.  I guess lunch time during the week was a bad time to dine! lol   And this was not Cracker Barrel, I don't think we even have them in Canada.

Lola, that was awful how you took your son for his birthday to lunch and the two of you had to wait 45 minutes to be served.  Here you had a special occasion -- your son's birthday -- yet, you can't sue.  I couldn't sue in a similar circumstance.  I've been to a couple of restaurants where I was seated before other customers were seated but some other customer was served before I was.  Yet, I don't sue!  I can understand that when things get hectic in a restaurant, human error is going to happen.  Sure, someone may get served before I do, but I know enough that it's not intentional.