The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Media coverage: how are we seen?  (Read 191943 times)

Casper

Re: Media coverage: how are we seen?
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2006, 01:50:09 PM »
Wonder what Chris Rock is saying about this, if anything.  :P

I think his lawyer is stressing the word, "caution."  Remember, if the case does go to court and the court decides in Cracker Barrel's favor, there could be counter-lawsuits if Chris Rock's influence is proven to have caused loss of business to Cracker Barrel's restaurant chain.

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2006, 01:54:11 PM »
Well this place I had been eating in for years and never had a problem, ever.  So I actually felt kind of bad for them.  The waitress was stressed (I actually left her a tip, lol) and the manager was apologetic.

And if I do go somewhere new and I have really terrible service, or the food is terrible, or over priced, or whatever, I just don't go back.

She could have just got up and walked out and said.......well I won't be going back to Cracker Barrel.     But she sued! lol

Like I said, should be interesting.   :o

Oh as for Chris, who knows, he may use this in his standup act, he makes fun of everything in his life! lol

FUNGURL

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2006, 03:03:34 PM »

The Spokesman-Review is evidently a border paper serving parts of both Washington and Idaho.  Seems they maintain this remarkable blog discussing their editorial decisions regarding what goes into the print edition.  I'm linking to it technically for the information about the Idaho Senator accused of having gay quickies in Union Station.  Mostly, though, it's interesting for the way they're grappling with the issues of covering the blogosphere.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/briefing/

Offline estefue

• Papi Chulo
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2006, 05:32:07 PM »
Interesting discussion but this really has nothing to do with media coverage of gay issues or the gay community...

Offline Carissa

• Obsessed
  • Too young. too soon. too loved to be gone.
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2006, 09:02:26 PM »
Interesting article about Cracker Barrel and discrimination!

Cracker Barrel has in the past faced numerous lawsuits and a federal inquiry over complaints of refusing to serve black customers, discriminating against minority workers and firing gay employees. The company has taken steps to rebuild its folksy image and reach out to minorities.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/18/chrisrockmom.discrimin.ap/index.html

Seems like discrimination is alive and well and taking all sorts of forms.
I haven't eaten there for years because of this.
Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
- Romeo and Juliet (Juliet at III, ii)

Offline Rockbern

• Expert
  • .. the pillow sometimes wet, sometimes the sheets.
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2006, 11:54:27 AM »
Hope I'm not disrupting anyone flow by butting in - but I'm re-posting this here since it does have something to do with how we are perceived by society - of which we are a significant minority:

No doubt I'll upset many when I say that, as a same-sex person [and like most heterosexuals], I have resisted using any label to describe my sexuality - perhaps because I feel it is something I would only need to reveal to a prospective sexual partner.   Heterosexuals don't seem to feel the need to 'explain' their sexuality since they consider theirs 'normal' or 'natural' -  thus anything else is 'unnatural' or 'not normal'.  I consider myself to be 'human' - which covers the whole range of sexual preferences - not the simple little 'gay' box others would like to put me in.  Why should I have to explain mine?  Have I done something wrong?

Having said that, I must admit that BBM has provoked me into doing something about my [adjective eludes me] situation - I have told some friends and relatives that I'm 'gay' even though I dislike the term and really had to force myself to use it.    It is easily understood and easier to say than my preferred term [if I must use one] of same-sex.  I only did it to get everything out in the open so I could discuss issues, which BBM brought to the surface.  Their responses were mixed and varied, but I feel better for doing so.

Try using same-sex in a well constructed sentence without getting your tongue in a knot.  Which is clearer - I'm gay.  or  I'm same-sex. ?

The former they 'get' immediately.  The latter they have to think about.

I think we do have to explain ourselves to the heterosexual majority if our situation is to improve - but this explanation should avoid glib labels and superficial, sterotypical descriptors.  I doubt we will ever approach sexual equality since we will always be 'the other' - even to the most just, accepting and liberally minded heterosexuals   ....  but we must try.

We must do what BBM did - show them our humanity.

Our fantasies keep us sane in an incomprehensible, indifferent universe - inevitably, we comprehend them as reality itself.

Casper

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2006, 12:17:18 PM »
I have resisted using any label to describe my sexuality - perhaps because I feel it is something I would only need to reveal to a prospective sexual partner.   Heterosexuals don't seem to feel the need to 'explain' their sexuality since I consider myself to be 'human' - which covers the whole range of sexual preferences - not the simple little 'gay' box others would like to put me in.  Why should I have to explain mine? 

I always tell others:  single and non-attached. They don't need to know anymore.  As Salt 'N' Pepa would say:

Ain't none of your business    :)

Offline emkay

• Membership_deactivated
  • Expert
  • a fact is only what you believe
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2006, 11:12:05 AM »
From a dutch campaign to stimulate people (specifically partners) to talk about preferences concerning organ donation. For example when you're doing the dishes...(if you don't have a dishwasher  ;)) or watching TV (I don't like the matching pyjamas...)

many straight couples, but also a few gay couples...
Seeing these ads made me happy.

Offline estefue

• Papi Chulo
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2006, 06:05:19 PM »
Please note the following announcement

The administration has been working extremely hard to solve the slow down issue that has been plaguing the forum for some months now. It has been determined that to solve this we will have to change the host company of the forum. The new host server has now been contracted with by Dave as of today.

We are proceeding rapidly now and hope to have the conversion complete within a few weeks at the latest and hopefully much sooner. We will keep you (members) apprised. Please look for announcements in the Newsbox. Some changes will likely come up suddenly--that is the nature of computer conversions, so it is impossible to know before we test whether something will go flawlessly and take two hours, or uncover thorny issues that will take days. The testing process is being started. This will not affect the forum at this point.

So taking this into consideration, we don't want to give you timeframes that are unrealistic. As soon as we finish a stage, we'll proceed immediately to the next, and the exact changeover will likely come on very short notice to you (members). We will post this changeover time in the Newsbox as well as in the individual threads, and will give you as much lead time as we can manage. This will enable us to end the slowdown ASAP.

Thank you for your patience.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2007, 05:09:12 PM »
Here is a very interesting article.  It's from the 'home' section of the newspaper.  What I found really interesting about it is the matter of fact way it talks about the two men in the house.  That's not the point of the story, and it isn't every really that apparent until you read the piece.  This, to me, is a real sign of progress:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/03/HOGF4N8OOB1.DTL
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

Offline estefue

• Papi Chulo
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2007, 09:53:30 AM »
Sweet!  Makes me want to move into that trailer myself!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2007, 10:28:15 AM »
Cool Article!  Thanks for sharing it.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2007, 01:37:12 PM »
Here is another great article from the chron - about how 'gay' isn't all about bonking.  I'm really glad to see this sort of thing as I've always been a big booster of forming a 'culture' (which doesn't necessarily mean pairing up and moving to the suburbs either).  Anybody have any suggestions for where else this can be posted?

[I'm hitting the diner back room, Jack and WDJs threads - and sent it to the DS staff]

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/08/BAG6RNEKBM1.DTL
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

Offline estefue

• Papi Chulo
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2007, 04:07:33 PM »
Very interesting article.  I would leave it here but I think what you did was excellent. 

Offline Melby

• "the same people, all of us"
  • Obsessed
  • Maine Coons, the mellow giants
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2007, 02:26:41 PM »
Hope this is on topic here...

February's Glamour magazine (I know, I know, pretending it's teenagers') has a little article describing 11 couples who "met cute"....and one of the couples is two guys! (They met while one was the boss & one the employee.)

I too often see articles about home tours, remodeling, landscaping, etc. where the homeowners are gay couples.
"Nice hat. Do you have trouble with goats trying to eat it?"

~~Book 4, Shadow of the Templar