The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Media coverage: how are we seen?  (Read 186338 times)

Offline estefue

• Papi Chulo
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
Re: Media coverage: how are we seen?
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2007, 02:43:53 PM »
Yes, isn't it great to have a little visibility?  Personally, HGTV is gayer than logo ;D

Offline Carissa

• Obsessed
  • Too young. too soon. too loved to be gone.
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2007, 04:14:03 PM »
My cutie T.R. Knight was on Ellen today.  He talked about the controversy that happened on set and at the Golden Globes.  If you are interested, here is a partial transcript:  http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/blog/index.jsp?uuid=0aefe3b0-3e15-484d-bf2b-8a6e0735998d  .  Here is video: http://www.queerty.com/queer/gossip/ellen-chops-up-tr-knight-20070117.php

Mod, I don't know if this is the most appropriate thread for this.  Feel free to move it if there is a more appropriate thread.
Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
- Romeo and Juliet (Juliet at III, ii)

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2007, 04:20:58 PM »
Here is a very interesting article about a place in mid-michigan being boycotted because they are gay friendly.  Here it is in Michigan's gay press:

http://www.pridesource.com/article.shtml?article=20913

And here it is in the local free weekly in Lansing:

http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=583&Itemid=29

And apparently local rock bands are doing a benefit for the store:

http://www.qtmagazine.com/events/detail.cfm?id=10964
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

BRAD1963

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2007, 01:01:23 PM »
from IMDB: 

Knight: "Washington Did Use the 'F' Word"

Gay Grey's Anatomy star TR Knight has labeled castmate Isaiah Washington a liar after speaking out about the actor's 'f****t' slur at Monday night's Golden Globes. Washington stunned castmates in the press room at the Golden Globe Awards when he grabbed a microphone and insisted he never used the derogatory word on the set, later calling it "vile." But angry Knight, who revealed his homosexuality after word spread of Washington's outburst towards him, and Washington's subsequent on-set fight with fellow TV surgeon Patrick Dempsey, is keen to set the record straight. During a taping of Ellen DeGeneres' talk show, which aired yesterday, Knight revealed Washington did use the 'f' word. The actor said, "He referred to me as a f****t... Everyone heard it... I've never been called that to my face. I think, when that happened, something shifted and it became bigger... than myself... I could've just let it slide and not said anything but it became important." Knight admits he was stunned when Washington used the 'f' word again on Monday night - in an effort to insist he had never used the term. He adds, "He denied that he said it... I don't know what to say, really, about that... but it's pretty bad." Knight's pals are on his side - cast mate Katherine Heigl fought back angry tears during an interview on US news show Access Hollywood after Washington's Golden Globes gaffe, and hissed, "He needs to just not speak in public. Period."

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2007, 01:04:23 PM »
My cutie T.R. Knight was on Ellen today.  He talked about the controversy that happened on set and at the Golden Globes.  If you are interested, here is a partial transcript:  http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/blog/index.jsp?uuid=0aefe3b0-3e15-484d-bf2b-8a6e0735998d  .  Here is video: http://www.queerty.com/queer/gossip/ellen-chops-up-tr-knight-20070117.php

Mod, I don't know if this is the most appropriate thread for this.  Feel free to move it if there is a more appropriate thread.

I saw that, what a sweetie he is.  I love that show, I like his character best.  I can't believe Washington said it.  When I watch Grey's tonight, it is going to bug me when I see his face on screen.  >:(

FUNGURL

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2007, 06:35:49 AM »
Under fire by his bosses at ABC and gay leaders, Grey's Anatomy star Isaiah Washington apologized Thursday for what he called his "unacceptable in any context" comments about gay costar T.R. Knight on Golden Globes night.

"I can neither defend nor explain my behavior," Washington said in a statement. "I can also no longer deny to myself that there are issues I obviously need to examine within my own soul, and I've asked for help."

Apologizing to "T.R., my colleagues, the fans of the show and especially the lesbian and gay community," Washington said he "marred what should have been a perfect night" for Grey's Anatomy and hurt both Knight and "everyone who has struggled for the respect so many of us take for granted.

"T.R.'s courage throughout this entire episode speaks to his tremendous character," Washington said. "I hold his talent, and T.R. as a person, in high esteem. I know a mere apology will not end this, and I intend to let my future actions prove my sincerity."

FUNGURL

Offline milomorris

• Expert
  • Strength, Courage, Mastery, and Honor
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2007, 08:14:49 AM »
Under fire by his bosses at ABC and gay leaders, Grey's Anatomy star Isaiah Washington apologized Thursday for what he called his "unacceptable in any context" comments about gay costar T.R. Knight on Golden Globes night.

"I can neither defend nor explain my behavior," Washington said in a statement. "I can also no longer deny to myself that there are issues I obviously need to examine within my own soul, and I've asked for help."

Apologizing to "T.R., my colleagues, the fans of the show and especially the lesbian and gay community," Washington said he "marred what should have been a perfect night" for Grey's Anatomy and hurt both Knight and "everyone who has struggled for the respect so many of us take for granted.

"T.R.'s courage throughout this entire episode speaks to his tremendous character," Washington said. "I hold his talent, and T.R. as a person, in high esteem. I know a mere apology will not end this, and I intend to let my future actions prove my sincerity."

Ooooooo!!! Where did you find this??? Please give us a source.

Thanks,
Milo
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2007, 08:45:44 AM »
Ooooooo!!! Where did you find this??? Please give us a source.

Thanks,
Milo

Hi Milo!  Here's one source for it:

http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/id/3611068

mf
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2007, 12:33:50 PM »
People Magazine is usually my source!

Neil Patrick Harris, who came out in November, said Thursday he was shocked to hear that Isaiah Washington had repeated a gay slur at the Golden Globes but thought that those involved in the Grey's Anatomy controversy have mostly dealt with the situation well.

"I was just sort of stunned that anyone would want to rehash any of that again. But I think the people, the classier people, handled it as they always do," the How I Met Your Mother star told reporters at the Television Critics Association conference at the Ritz-Carlton in Pasadena, Calif.

Things happen behind the scenes on TV shows, but they don't have to harm the finished product, said the 33-year-old actor.

"Everyone's grown up, and the most important thing is that we're contracted to work and have jobs," he said. "So the personal stuff, the personality conflicts and the fist-fights on-set, although they are interesting water-cooler talk, they don't really affect the way you watch every episode of that show."

Washington has been under fire for using a slur to refer to gay costar T.R. Knight on-set in October, and then repeating the word at the Globes on Monday night. On Thursday he apologized for his behavior. The earlier incident prompted Knight to come out.

Meanwhile, John Mayer has also weighed in on the controversy on his blog, saying he suggests as that Washington should be forced to play a gay man on Grey's as punishment for his derogatory comments.

"What better way for an actor to get to the roots of his discrimination than by portraying the very the subject of his own ire for the remainder of his contract?" writes Mayer.

Also at the press conference Thursday Harris, who made his name on the 1980s show Doogie Howser, M.D. spoke about his exclusive announcement to PEOPLE in November that he is gay the reasons for it and the reactions to it.

"It's been a bit of a non-story to be honest," he said. "The one thing I didn't want was to have to make a statement in retaliation or in response to some quasi-scandalous event, because you never want to be defensive. And so I felt that there was this sort of kindling burning underneath, and a story was being searched for, and I just never wanted to live my life in a way where I was backdooring and cowering and trying to, like, avoid. And so I think the statement that I made sort of quieted the speculation."

And the public's reaction? Harris says happily that it's been no big deal. "It was either people were like, 'Yeah, I heard that' or 'Oh, really ... interesting,' " he says. "And I think that speaks well to our society today."

FUNGURL

BRAD1963

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2007, 01:53:20 PM »
Washington should be fired.  If it were the other way around and Dempsey called Washington the "N" the cries of racism would be heard loudly.  Just shows how little regard Gays have still in this Country and in the Entertainment Industry. 

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2007, 03:42:19 PM »
Well yea I wonder how he would have liked it had the N word been tossed at him?

It seems no one every gets fired for anything in Hollywierd. 

TR strikes me as a very sweet and forgiving person, so I am sure he will accept his apology and that will be the end of it. 

And I hope Washington gets some help for what ever demons seem to plague him.

It was odd watching it last night knowing about all this.

FUNGURL

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
I won't jump on the Fire-His-Ass bandwagon, because I figure Washington's probably capable of growing and changing; and he's gonna get hurt over this anyway.

I do love John Mayer's suggestion for a suitable punishment: make his character come out as gay.  Brilliant.

Offline Kemmer

• Getting Acquainted
  • Yet, Ennis Del Mar Lives.
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2007, 03:00:32 PM »
Lead story--front page with color photos--today (Sunday) were interviews with three same-sex households with kids, and how successful and happy everyone is.  A family with 2 dads had a teenage girl and an eight-year-old boy, the guys had been together 25 years, and both dads had been in the delivery room for the girl.  They adopted the boy at eight months.  I bet  there will will be a ton of letters to the editor this week about how disgusting and sinful these happy families are, all written by "good, Christian people" who are blind to the irony of their hatred.
...And [Ennis] would wake sometimes in grief, sometimes with the old sense of joy and relief; the pillow sometimes wet, sometimes the sheets.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2007, 10:35:50 PM »
Lead story--front page with color photos--today (Sunday) were interviews with three same-sex households with kids, and how successful and happy everyone is.  A family with 2 dads had a teenage girl and an eight-year-old boy, the guys had been together 25 years, and both dads had been in the delivery room for the girl.  They adopted the boy at eight months.  I bet  there will will be a ton of letters to the editor this week about how disgusting and sinful these happy families are, all written by "good, Christian people" who are blind to the irony of their hatred.

Hi Kemmer!  What paper was this in, please?

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2007, 03:31:34 AM »
Here is an article on Terry McMillan and her gay ex-husband that is pretty bad news for everyone:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/21/BAGOCNMFIR1.DTL