The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: How the Dave Cullen Forum Has Affected Me  (Read 109669 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
Re: How the Dave Cullen Forum Has Affected Me
« Reply #525 on: September 07, 2015, 08:08:04 PM »

Hello DCF members! 

Just one week after our initial announcement, we're ready to update some information.

The first step that will happen is the forum will be offline so that a final back-up can be done.  We expect that the forum will be down for a max of 2 hours, but bear in mind that could be longer, or shorter, depending on how smoothly the back-up happens.  We will alert you regarding this down time 24 hours before it happens, so everyone will be aware of it.

The second step will be an upgrade to the forum.  This will take approximately 4 hours, so the forum will be down for this as well.  As with the prior step, we will alert you 24 hours before this happens.

The final step will be the migration of the site to the new server.  We are not sure how long this will take.  As before, we will give a 24 hour alert before the site is taken down.

If anyone chooses to do so, you can create a Facebook page or a membership at Bettermost.net to stay in touch with each other during down time.

We also have some updates regarding the costs for the forum.   The work that will be done for the back-up, upgrade and migration is charged by the hour, so those figures are all dependent on how long everything takes.  The charge by the month will be approximately $40.00, so 40 members donating a $1.00 a month will keep the forum running.  Bear in mind that this fee does not include the fees for the back-up, upgrade and migration.

Chuck will be setting up an account at his bank that will strictly handle only DCF funds, as well as setting up a new PayPal that will also strictly be for DCF funds.

CellarDweller & KillersMom.

Offline suelyblu

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
    • suelyblu
« Reply #526 on: September 08, 2015, 02:41:18 PM »
Thanks for this info.
 :)
"I  know that ghosts have wondered on the earth,
 Be with me always. Take any form. Drive me mad,
 only do not leave me in the dark alone, where I cannot
 find you.
 I cannot live without my life.
 I cannot die without my soul.

Offline Tony_

• Obsessed
« Reply #527 on: September 08, 2015, 05:24:46 PM »
 I don't use PayPal, but if an address could be given, I could send checks, there.

And thanks for the info, Chuck. Doesn't seem like a burden to those of us who are regulars - very much worth it !

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #528 on: September 09, 2015, 12:56:05 PM »
This forum has brought me so much joy over the past three years and, even though I have never met any of you in person, I feel like I'm among friends here. That alone is reason enough to donate, I think.
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #529 on: September 11, 2015, 01:46:54 PM »
Thanks for the update.  :)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #530 on: September 11, 2015, 02:41:54 PM »
Thanks, Linda and Chuck. PayPal should make it very straightforward (for those who've got it).
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #531 on: October 15, 2015, 07:05:38 PM »
Hello DCF members!

All three steps are finally done!   We've been backed-up,  we've been updated, and now we're officially migrated to our new server! 

Also, after numerous tests, the PayPal account for sending donations to support the forum is up and running as well, which is good since it will soon be time to pay for the back-up, upgrade, and migration.  After those are paid, the monthly fee to keep the forum up and running starts. 

Step-by-step instructions for using PayPal to make a donation are below, but first:

At the bottom of the page is a box that says "Donate Via Paypal".  DO NOT USE THAT BUTTON.  If you do, funds will go to an inactive account, and we will have to work with PayPal to get your funds back. 

Once there, you'll see an icon of a monetary bill that says "pay or send money".  If you click that, you'll see the option "Send Money to Friends or Family".  Click that.

You'll then be taken to an page that asks for an email address and amount.  Enter the email address that matches my username here.  CellarDweller115@yahoo.com.  Then the amount you want to send, and click "next".

You'll then get a screen that says:  Send CellarDweller115@yahoo.com $X.XX, and click "Send".  Once it's processed, you'll get a screen that says "you sent $X.XX to CellarDweller115@Yahoo.com"

Another option is to mail a check to me personally.  If you choose that option (others already have) just send me a PM and I'll gladly give you my mailing address.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Obsessed
« Reply #532 on: October 27, 2015, 12:57:07 PM »
I just wanted to share for those of you who aren't following the event topic.

Message from Diana:

"Thank you all who came so far to see Brokeback on the big screen at The Loft. The 35 mm print was stunning. Larry and I both are deeply touched by how this film has affected each of you. And I am so lucky, so grateful, to have played a part in its long journey and introduction into your lives. And to each of you in this group and beyond, your stories, your lovely gifts, and the ways in which Brokeback has changed your lives mean more to me than any award ever could. Truly..."
Once a virgin, always a virgin

Offline Trigger Hippie

• nnln nlnn
  • Obsessed
  • Rob - você é minha vida
« Reply #533 on: January 29, 2016, 09:58:48 AM »
Because of the forum, this.............10 years later

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #534 on: January 29, 2016, 11:25:11 AM »
Hugs to you both, Nick and Rob.  :-*
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline Sason

• The Proverbial Swenglish Axegirl
  • Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #535 on: January 31, 2016, 11:18:57 AM »
That's a lovely tribute. To you two, and to the forum.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #536 on: January 31, 2016, 07:43:15 PM »
Because of the forum, this.............10 years later

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!! Thanks so much for sharing your years with us, Nick!! Love to you both!! ♥ ♥ ♥
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #537 on: February 04, 2016, 05:35:17 PM »
Lovely.
Brokeback short stories at storybyjanjo.livejournal.com

"Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?"
Ballad in plain D: Bob Dylan

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #538 on: March 05, 2017, 07:22:49 PM »

Where does one even start?

I can still remember buying my ticket to see  Brokeback,  it was December 25th, 2005.  I was hoping for a respectable crowd.   I ended up having to sit in the first row and stretch  my neck to see the screen, all the other seats were taken.

I went home, and found The Dave Cullen Forum, now the Ultimate Brokeback Forum.  If anyone would've told me that seeing this movie would bring about so many new things for me, I would've laughed in their faces.  Yet here I am....looking back to 2005 as I type my 200,000th post.

Looking back, it's almost hard to believe.  I've been to over 15 states, and 6 countries.  I've become friends with people around the world, and learned of their cultures.  I've seen friends give up smoking, lose weight, change jobs, move away, and move on.

The gatherings have been fantastic, and I cherish each one, currently, they are bookended by the first and most recent, both in NYC.

I've learned of gay cinema, and expanded my collection to include Shelter, Latter Days, Small Town Gay Bar, Milk, Out of the Past, Stonewall Uprising.   My library has expanded to include The Gay 100, Wendel, A Single Man, Fairyland, My Son Eric, and many others.

I've celebrated new friendships as I've held them in my arms, and I've cried at friends gone too soon.  Jackie, Rich, Rodney, Dal, Lydia, Betty.    I remember the loss of Heath, and how stunned and devastated we all were.  I'm reminded of a passage from Little House on The Prairie, read at the funeral of a character who died....."Remember me with smiles and laughter, for that's how I'll remember you all...if you can only remember me with tears, then don't remember me at all." I will admit there are days I fail at this, for there are days I still cry for the friends who have gone before me, leaving me behind while they're Glory Bound.

Life always places forks in the  road, and you have to choose which way to go.  I'm not sure what made me choose this way, nor am I sure of what makes me stay.

What I am sure of is that I'm happy with how things have gone since 2005, and I'm glad I can take a  part of you all with me as I move forward, to whatever my destiny is.

Much love to you all, and thanks for being a part of this journey.

Chuck

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #539 on: March 05, 2017, 07:25:16 PM »
CONGRATS BBM-200XM, CHUCK!!!!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."