The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: How the Dave Cullen Forum Has Affected Me  (Read 172201 times)

Offline bbmbliss

• Truly Scrumptious
  • Obsessed
  • Love is where it falls
Re: How the Dave Cullen Forum Has Affected Me
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2007, 12:51:19 AM »
Being a member of any internet forum has been an incredibly learning experience for me…

The forum was an utter sanctuary of people who knew exactly where I was in my life as they were in the same place.
As in life when you meet a new bunch of people...there are those that you become closer and closer to and they become part of your regular life, and enrich it immensely.   
BUT above all else, when there are things happening in my life the forum is still like a haven of hope
If three years ago someone said to me that I would spend holidays and Christmas/New Year with a bunch of people I met on the internet – I would have told them they were MAD!!!!!!!

Yet here I am, and so grateful for the support, love and friendship that I have.

Great post Wayne.  And so much of it is true for me too. 

Especially the part about our friendship.  :-*  :-*
I know why the caged bird sings.  The caged bird sings of freedom. - Maya Angelou

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
  • Footsteps in my life....leave memories in my heart
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2007, 01:48:43 PM »

<snip>

The forum was an utter sanctuary of people who knew exactly where I was in my life as they were in the same place.

As in life when you meet a new bunch of people, some that you are firstly close to drift away, and some you separate yourself from, and then there are those that you become closer and closer to and they become part of your regular life, and enrich it immensely.   

My relationship with the forum has at times been stormy… Sometimes I get so incensed by the attitudes and opinions of some posters that it makes it necessary to disappear for a while, but not to the point of deleting my account. I want to be able to look back at what I wrote, and even if it’s not how I feel now, it’s a reminder of how I felt then, at that point in time. Like looking at old photos…Feeling that nostalgia.

My forum life, compliments my real life, and I do not get the two confused or rolled into one – It just does not work that way for me.

Wayne,

Thank you so much for your kind words. You know I feel the same way about you too.

During our Thanksgiving I had many thoughts of this same exact conversation go thru my mind. About this Forum,the craziness of it all,how it's changing and not as appealing,if I might be honest and admit to say. But in the overall,having had the opportunities that I had,meeting everyone or having conversations via phone..it's been a tremendous high for me,something I never dreamed would happen. I don't allow myself to get into the drama in here,the soap operish atmosphere is just not my style,but I'm still grateful for the PM's and for the simple chats we do have still.

You are one of my sweethearts I call "sweet pea" or "baby cakes"...you know I only call those I feel that connection to ,the one who is like a brother to me,and you are indeed one of those people.

Whatever happens in this Forum happens to this Forum..doesn't mean it will happen to US...we are separated by this Forum and yes even though it brought us together because of Dave,who I thank also,btw...the hardships and stupidity that continues in here should not affect how we are to each other...true friends is just that..I do want to thank Dave for putting up with people's shit..although at times he may get the wrong vibes,he may not get the TRUE story behind all this madness... it's his Forum..what happens happens and what already happened is done...over!

I look forward to a better future with some of you members in here..I still and will always hold you and some of the others close to my heart,Wayne....just remember this, just because we no longer chat like old times,doesn't mean I don't think of you and love you just the same...

Your favorite Rican

Nellie ;D  :-*
RICKY MARTIN ,tu eres mi Kiki !

Offline Romeo164

• Feet Wet
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2007, 01:17:55 AM »
I normally don't post in any of the forum, mainly because what I have to say have been said so well by all of you. To me this forum allows me to somehow connect with other people, even though I have not met any of you in person. I really want to thank Dave for starting this. It's hard to imagine a few more forums that have branched off. I don't know how long we can keep this going but I hope as long as we remember the feeling that came over us when we saw Brokeback Mountain for the first (few) times. Take care guys.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2007, 08:54:20 AM »
Romeo, Nice to meet you!

Glad that you feel a sense of connection here!

Offline Boris

• The Iceman melteth
  • Obsessed
  • I was just thinkin' out loud.
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2007, 02:19:44 PM »
How do you measure a miracle? let's put it this way: I can't imagine my life without this experience, the people I have been riviliged to meet through this forum. I read "Beyong Brokeback" again today... and I do believe that this journey we've taken together has made me more open, more lloving and stronger.

But how do you describe it?

525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear.
525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?
In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee.
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.
In 525,600 minutes - how do you measure a year in the life?
How about love?
How about love?
How about love?
Measure in love.
Seasons of love.

525,600 minutes!
525,000 journeys to plan.
525,600 minutes - how can you measure the life of a woman or man?

In truths that she learned, or in times that he cried.
In bridges he burned, or the way that she died.

It's time now to sing out, tho the story never ends.
Let's celebrate remember a year in the life of friends.
Remember the love!
Remember the love!
Remember the love!
Measure in love.
Seasons of love!
Seasons of love.

In 30 days I'll have been a memeber for two whole years. It's 730 days, one million fiftyone thousand two hundred minutes. That's plenty of love and friendship.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 02:36:11 PM by Boris »
"A theater is the most important sort of house in the world, because that's where people are shown what they could be if they wanted, and what they'd liked to be if they dared, and what they really are." -Tove Jansson-

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2007, 02:41:39 PM »
Oh, Jari, I beg to differ.  Never enough love and friendship...never enough.

Thank you for being such a good friend to so many of us here. Our lives are richer for knowing you.
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline Boris

• The Iceman melteth
  • Obsessed
  • I was just thinkin' out loud.
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2007, 02:52:54 PM »
Oh, Jari, I beg to differ.  Never enough love and friendship...never enough.

Thank you for being such a good friend to so many of us here. Our lives are richer for knowing you.

Sweetheart, I didn't mean that I'm done yet... :D
"A theater is the most important sort of house in the world, because that's where people are shown what they could be if they wanted, and what they'd liked to be if they dared, and what they really are." -Tove Jansson-

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2007, 02:53:37 PM »
Well, alrighty then!   ;)   :-* :-* :-*
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2007, 03:25:37 PM »
Jari, that was such a great post!!!!

thanks for placing it here so we could read it!

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
((((((((((JARI YSTÄVÄ))))))))))))))!!!!!!!!!!

Not mutually inconsistent at all, there's plenty of love and friendship, and never enough! Thank you all for being here.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Online dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2007, 04:11:04 AM »
It's time now to sing out, tho the story never ends.
Let's celebrate remember a year in the life of friends.

In 30 days I'll have been a memeber for two whole years. It's 730 days, one million fiftyone thousand two hundred minutes. That's plenty of love and friendship.

Jari, great post, and it's so nice to know you and to have you here.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline MaineGirl

• Lighthouse Lady
  • Obsessed
  • Be gentle with yourself...
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2007, 03:27:23 PM »
Jari, you have said so well what I have been thinking.  Although I have had the priviledge of meeting only a few people in person, I feel a connection to so many here.  I do feel it's a miracle! Thank you for your beautiful post.........
"It is no accident that we all lie nestled together in the curves of the universe.  We are tugged by the forces of the celestial tides.  Time folds in on itself and outward again in gladness as we spin around, each of us an utter miracle in a sea of tiny white stars."  Jamien E. Morehouse

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2007, 10:06:44 AM »
two years and one day ago, i was in this very spot--the downstairs office/den at the corp apt where i did a lot of consulting work on the side. that day i was rushing iron out the final kinks with meli and greg to decide to go live so we could all get to our damn families' houses.

i don't recall envisioning a second christmas at the forum. we figured the film had a two or three month run, and you all would be done. how sweet that so many of us decided to stay. and so many new people keep wandering in.

this year i expected to post again on the same day, but felt the time squeeze and didn't make it. i've been feeling too many squeezes lately, too much pressure and gave myself the day off everything--except dealing with my family, which went well.

it was nice to wake up this morning and have time to come down here to chat with you all more leisurely. i wish i could say my life felt leisurely. it will again in a few months, i pray. but it's just really nice to have this place to come home to. i can't say visiting with my family feels like home. this does. what a relief.

Offline sarah

• Expert
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2007, 10:20:09 AM »
Dave, what a beautiful sentiment about that feeling of "home".  I know it well, thanks to this spectacular movie.  As I move from Christams festivities to the grading of my students' final exams (finally!), I will read their analyses of Brokeback Mountain for the second semester  and realize how the story, the emotions and the continued reverence for Jack and Ennis' love has seeped into every part of my life, both personal and professional.  Merry Christmas to all, and continued love and communication.

Sarah :-*
There ain't no reins on this one.

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2007, 12:15:04 PM »
two years and one day ago, i was in this very spot--the downstairs office/den at the corp apt where i did a lot of consulting work on the side. that day i was rushing iron out the final kinks with meli and greg to decide to go live so we could all get to our damn families' houses.
although you guys were working out the html stuff, and i was just along for the moral support and back up live person, i do recall being there as well.  ;)  ;=
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."