The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Gay Cinema  (Read 1084450 times)

Offline Carissa

• Obsessed
  • Too young. too soon. too loved to be gone.
Re: Queer Cinema
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 02:54:03 PM »
When I was in college, I saw a film called "Go Fish".  It was about a bunch of lesbians and their friendship.  There were some funny scenes, especially the one with the nail clipper.
Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
- Romeo and Juliet (Juliet at III, ii)

Offline jos

• Feet Wet
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 09:00:42 PM »
Has anyone seen YOSSI & JAGGER.
It is an Israeli film, available on DVD.  It is superb. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 05:04:46 PM by jos »

Offline dback

• Obsessed
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 09:49:44 AM »
I've been going to the San Francisco, San Jose, and Portland Gay Film festivals for years.  A lot of the best films have been mentioned like "Kissing Jessica Stein" "The Trip" "Yossi and Jagger" "Walk On Water" "The Sum of Us" "Beautiful Thing" (and a special shout-out to "Big Eden"--if you're a "Brokeback" fan who wants to see a gay Western love story with a happy ending, this is it), but I'd like to plug a few others I've really liked:

Get Real
World and Time Enough
Eating Out
When I'm 64
Maurice
Mysterious Skin
Boyfriends
Bedrooms and Hallways
Straight-Jacket
Stonewall
Parting Glances
Prick Up Your Ears
Priest

(Odd that gay films tend to favor certain letters of the alphabet in their titles, isn't it?  B, P, M, S...)

Also, though it isn't a gay film, "Dominick and Eugene" with Tom Hulce and Ray Liotta as fraternal twins--one brain damaged and "slow," one a doctor--is one of the most beautiful love stories between two men ever filmed.  The bond between Hulce and Liotta is so tender and vivid, it almost leaps off the screen.  IIRC, Hulce is gay in real life.
"No reins on this one."

Offline aceygirl

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 09:55:45 AM »
What is the plotline of Yossi and Jaeger? I saw a great lesbian flick called "Aimee and Jaguar" about lovers who are separated by the Holocaust.

I really loved "The Broken Hearts Club." Dean Cain made a great Lothario jerk.  There was a romantic, sweet subplot about a couple where one leaves, dates someone else, then sees the light and returns to his true love. How often does THAT happen to us in real life? *sigh*.

Offline dback

• Obsessed
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2006, 12:48:19 PM »
It happened to me--he left me for someone else, came back, and we had another year and a few months together.  Then he left again (for good).  Lost love of my life.

Fortunately, I've been with another great guy--the actual love of my life--for 12 years now.
"No reins on this one."

Offline jos

• Feet Wet
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2006, 12:54:22 PM »
What is the plotline of Yossi and Jaeger? I saw a great lesbian flick called "Aimee and Jaguar" about lovers who are separated by the Holocaust.

Yossi & Jagger takes place in modern times and is about two Israeli soldiers.  I hesitate to say much, because I never know if giving information spoils the movie.  It is very short (-- I think like 67 minutes--), and yet very complete. 

Offline BluCM40

• Feet Wet
Re: Brad goes gay!
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2006, 09:11:11 PM »
Guess who wants to desperately "play gay" now after seeing BBM?

BRAD PITT of course!

Hollywood:  Maybe him and Chad Allen (Chad being the real gay guy here) can be seen together on screen?

A Brad Pitt on screen male on male kiss? Yes Colin and Brad together at last  :-*

Why not, every other str8 male actor as gone gay at some point in their career.......gay means box office bonanza's
Just wish more gay men would be picked to play gay. Guess it come down to whos out and who not.

From www.westhollywood.comwww.newindpress.com

Brad Pitt wants to go the gay way
Wednesday February 1 2006 13:53 IST
ANI

LONDON: It looks like Hollywood heart-throb Brad Pitt is desperate to cash in on the success of gay cowboy movie 'Brokeback Mountain', for the actor has allegedly ordered his agents to find him a role that has him playing a gay man in a new movie.

According to a source, Pitt became keen to play the part of a gay man after seeing the critical acclaim received by 'Brokeback Mountain’.

"Brad has asked his people to find him a script to play a gay man. He's seen the critical acclaim that Brokeback Mountain has won and he wants a piece of it," The Sun quoted the source, as saying.

"He wants it to be a story that appeals to both men and women and he wants it to be the edgiest work he's done," the source added.

And though the actor is aware that he will be shocking a lot of his fans, he's nonetheless determined to go ahead with his gay plans.

"Brad knows it would be seen as shocking to take on a gay role because he's seen as such a heart-throb. But he has never shied away from taking on controversial films, and he has often chosen to do smaller, more challenging movies, rather than go for the big box-office smash," the source said.

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2006, 10:29:05 PM »

BRAD PITT of course!

I'm not sure jack's heart is up to this  ;)
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline Chris

• Experienced
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2006, 11:46:48 PM »

BRAD PITT of course!

How about Colin Farrell as his co-star!
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”  Martin Luther King

Offline dback

• Obsessed
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2006, 10:00:13 AM »
"The Front Runner" is now on the "hot" list to be made--a story about a 30-something ex-military track coach who falls in love with his star 20-something runner on their way to the Olympics.  Very, very gripping, with a finale that rivals "Brokebacks."

There are tons of candidates who could play Billy, the runner, but the only actor I can think of between 30 and 45 who has the charisma, gravitas, and ability to be convining as both ex-military and a former athlete--and fully commit to the handful of gay love scenes--is Russell Crowe. 

If anyone else can think of someone else, chime in, but I'm stumped. (Brad Pitt, God bless him, is still an overgrown boy.)
"No reins on this one."

Offline happycamper

• Expert
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2006, 10:06:21 AM »
"The Front Runner" is now on the "hot" list to be made--a story about a 30-something ex-military track coach who falls in love with his star 20-something runner on their way to the Olympics.  Very, very gripping, with a finale that rivals "Brokebacks."

There are tons of candidates who could play Billy, the runner, but the only actor I can think of between 30 and 45 who has the charisma, gravitas, and ability to be convining as both ex-military and a former athlete--and fully commit to the handful of gay love scenes--is Russell Crowe. 

If anyone else can think of someone else, chime in, but I'm stumped. (Brad Pitt, God bless him, is still an overgrown boy.)
I can just hear the "sexual predator" comments now!  :(  Although if I remember correctly, doesn't Billy have to overcome the coach's reluctance to get involved with one of his runners?

Offline FinnGal

• Feet Wet
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2006, 01:39:37 PM »

BRAD PITT of course!

Hollywood:  Maybe him and Chad Allen (Chad being the real gay guy here) can be seen together on screen?

A Brad Pitt on screen male on male kiss? Yes Colin and Brad together at last  :-*

Why not, every other str8 male actor as gone gay at some point in their career.......gay means box office bonanza's
Just wish more gay men would be picked to play gay. Guess it come down to whos out and who not.

Umm, every other straight male actor has gone gay at some point in their career...?? And for  box office bonanzas?? Lol, that was news to me. I thought BBM is setting the precedent here  ;)

Anyway yeah, I just about fell off my chair when I heard about that comment from Brad Pitt on telly this evening, heheh! Ah, if only he had considered doing a gay role ten years ago when he was uber-hot...okay, he is STILL fairly hot but... ;D Though as I said, times were certainly different back then and it´s only now, along with the huge success of BBM, that big stars like Pitt can get away with comments like that, lol. I can´t wait what we have in store in the next couple of years as far as films go!  :D  :D (Front Runner and The Dreyfuss Affair sound like excellent ideas to me!)

But yes, on a more serious note, I do agree with you that it would be great if gay actors were a.) able to come out without the fear of having their career plummeting and b.) to play prominent roles of gay men and women, and have the same kind of success as Heath and Jake are enjoying now.

Offline BluCM40

• Feet Wet
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2006, 04:44:40 PM »

Umm, every other straight male actor has gone gay at some point in their career...?? And for  box office bonanzas?? Lol, that was news to me. I thought BBM is setting the precedent here

Agreed, Heath and Jake did it for the love of the script and story, and even the writer Diana mentioned "we never thought anyone would see this movie"

not sure whats motivating Brad to get in on the action, career slump? When he was a young cowpoke, he did look great in a cowboy hat in
Thelma and Louise :o (also one of my favorite movie classics).

Somebody should start a poll, who will play or who wants to see what actor play gay with Brad? An unkown? Or Colin?
Jake and Heath never met until the 1st day of shooting, who knew these two would have a good repore on and off screen.

Should be interesting................ ::)

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2006, 05:35:59 PM »

BRAD PITT of course!

How about Colin Farrell as his co-star!

That would be my wet dream! (I'm sorry, it that okay to say here?)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 05:37:52 PM by peteinportland »

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2006, 05:42:47 PM »

Jake and Heath never met until the 1st day of shooting, who knew these two would have a good repore on and off screen.

Sorry, but Jake and Heath did know one another. Jake has said this in interviews. They were both in the final three for Moulin Rouge and auditioned together (a multi day audition). They have bumped into one another on a number of occasions, and it seems to me as if I remember Jake saying the Moulin Rouge audition made them friends, and they stayed in touch.