The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Gay Cinema  (Read 1084755 times)

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
Re: Gay Cinema
« Reply #4110 on: April 17, 2019, 03:46:45 AM »
For me, a highlight of the 2019 MQFF was the 2018 Guatemalan feature Jose, written co-produced and directed by Li Cheng. I don't remember ever seeing a Guatemalan film before.

Li Cheng and his collaborator, George F Roberson interviewed working-class LGBTIQ men of colour in 12 Latin American countries including 20 cities. The lived for two years in Guatemala and drew on the interviews to write the fictional character and story of Jose.

Jose  (Enrique Salanic) is a Maya 19 year old who lives with his anxiously protective single mother (Ana Cecilia Mota) in a far-flung, working-class district of Guatemala City. With his help, she scratches out a precarious living as an unlicensed seller of sandwiches in markets and at bus-stops as bureaucrats make it more and more difficult. Jose battles his way for hours on buses and on foot to get to very low-paid work as a shukero in the inner city. He competes with shukeros from other restaurants, dodging heavy traffic in a six-road intersection, flagging down drivers to entice them into the restaurant or to order shukos, (sausage sandwiches) and drinks that he delivers to them on the road.

In the afternoons, he cruises men on street corners and uses his mobile phone to arrange casual sexual encounters in dreary, bottom-of-the-range flophouses.

Jose  is his mother's youngest, her favourite. She is very dependent on him. She takes him to evangelical Protestant church services (with horribly out-of-tune music) and uses emotional, religious blackmail to try to protect him from threats such as gangs and drugs and keep him with her. He has no privacy at home as the bedrooms are doorless.

One of Jose's clandestine hookups is with Luis (Manolo Herrera), a mestizo construction worker about the same age from Izabal near the tropical Caribbean coast. Unexpectedly, they take time to talk and develop intimacy and so fall very much in love. They steal more and more time together in the city and in the countryside.

The film is very open in its depiction of nudity and sex scenes. The love scenes with Jose  and Luis are passionate and endearingly tender.

The film makers were told they would never be able to get Guatemalan men to kiss in the film, but their social media casting calls drew over 600 non-professional hopefuls. Enrique Salanic told them of an ancient image of two Mayan kings kissing.

The couple come under increasing pressure from their families and others. When Luis asks Jose to leave the city with him, saying he will build them a little house in the country and save up to extend it in time, Jose is torn between  his strong desire to go with him and his loyalty to his mother.

Guatemalan interviewees told the film makers that extremely homophobic attitudes and religious extremism make it impossible for gay couples to live together. They also told him of their experiences of extreme threats and violent attacks by their mothers when they found out their sons were gay. But they believe that their mothers will look after them in the end. Jose's  mother is not violent and they don't talk explicitly about his sexuality, but Luis shows him the scars resulting from his brothers' violent homophobic attacks.

Without being the least bit preachy and with nothing wordy at all, the film, which avoids sensational filming of the commonplace most extreme occurrences in Guatemala, shows the third world conditions most people have to live with, including worsening poverty, lack of access to education for the poor, drug gang violence and other crimes, child murders, extreme Catholic and Protestant religiosity, machismo, sexism, homophobia. 67% of births are to single mothers. The country is at or near the bottom of every indicator.

Li Cheng is strongly influenced by the films of Hou Hsiao-Hsien and Pier Paolo Pasolini and the Italian post-war Neo-Realists. Cinematographer Paolo Giron's camera follows Jose  through his days and nights in the streets and neighbourhood. Many scenes are wide shots filmed by an unmoving camera at a respectful distance in a documentary style. Interior night scenes seem as if they were filmed in ambient light.

As is his regular custom, Jose travels to a rural Pacific coastal area where he stays with his grandmother (Alba Irene Lemus), helps out with seasonal work and asks her about her life. She has lived alone since her husband disappeared during or at the end of the 35-year civil war in 1996. The war normalised still-ongoing murderous violence.

In the final scenes, we see Jose  in the lush tropical Izabal area where he contemplates Mayan stone sculpture and makes his way a vast green plaza toward ancient structures.

The ending of the film is very quiet and low-key. Li Cheng intended it to suggest hope.

About half of the population is now under 19 which Li Cheng thinks is hopeful for the future.

Li Cheng grew up in China and moved to the USA where he obtained a PhD in biotechnology at Rutgers University and worked as a medical researcher before becoming a film-maker.

Jose . with its all-Guatemalan cast and crew challenges Latin American queer cinema which Li Cheng and George Roberson characterise as focusing only on middle-class and upper-class white people to the exclusion of working-class, urbanised, darker-skinned men.

Jose premiered at the Venice Film Festival where it won the Queer Lion in competition with films including The Favourite (which won the Golden Lion) and Luca Guadagnino's Suspiria.

I'm hoping I can find a way to see this film again.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 04:12:58 AM by tfferg »

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #4111 on: April 18, 2019, 03:14:55 PM »

We finished watching all 18 episodes of LOOKING.
We were sad to see the guys (and the girl) leave us...

Really a great, great series. Realistic, entertaining, down-to-earth.
We love it.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4112 on: April 19, 2019, 11:41:44 PM »
Argentinian director Marco Berger's early 2019 release was Un Rubio (The Blond One), set in a Buenos Aires suburb. I thought it fitted Li Cheng's critique of Latin American queer cinema in some ways.

Juan (Alfonso Baron) needs someone to move into a vacant room in his flat to help pay the rent after the departure of his brother. He invites quiet Gabriel (Gaston Re), a workmate in a wood-machining workshop who accepts because it is closer to work. The arrangement proceeds smoothly.

As with Marco Berger's previous films (especially Taekwondo), the camera and Juan spend a very great deal of screen time staring at Gabo. Both men appear conventionally masculine.

An ex-girlfriend who has dropped her latest boyfriend because he is pressuring her to have babies often turns up to have sex with the womanising Juan. His macho, casually homophobic friends often come to crash on the livingroom sofa or hang out, drink beer and watch football on TV.

Reticent Gabriel, nicknamed 'The Mute' by the men, has been widowed for four years. He regularly visits his little daughter who lives further away with her grandparents and enjoys her company, her stories and helps her with her homework. His relationship with his girlfriend is falling apart.

After too many scenes of staring, Juan makes a move on Gabo who goes along with it and ends up complacently in his bed.

What happens after that might be seen as a depiction of sexual freedom (and its limits) in Buenos Aires, but the way the relationship between the two men develops and plays out reveals the essential machismo of men like Juan.

The film ends with a broadly smiling Gabo reveling with his daughter. He looks much happier and freer than in any preceding scene and the little girl makes an insightful observation.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 11:52:31 PM by tfferg »

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #4113 on: April 20, 2019, 01:47:52 PM »
^^^ Big fan of Berger.  Thanks for the heads up!   I  contributed to his crowd funding for Hawaii, 2013.  V.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4114 on: April 21, 2019, 01:25:55 AM »
^^^ Big fan of Berger.  Thanks for the heads up!   I  contributed to his crowd funding for Hawaii, 2013.  V.
[/quote

You're welcome, Vince.  I haven't had a chance to see Hawaii.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4115 on: April 21, 2019, 04:51:14 AM »
A strikingly more memorable film by an Argentinian director shown at MQFF was Martin Rodriguez Redondo's feature Marilyn, a 2018 Argentinian-Chilean co-production. He says it was not based on, but inspired by a real event that took place in 2009.

It opens with 17 year old Marcos (Walter Rodriguez) being harassed by teenage motorcylcists as he makes his way home from school along a dusty unmade road to the isolated farm where his family work as poor tenant farmers for a wealthy ranch owner in the lawless pampas south of Buenos Aires. Marcos has his successful final high school results that qualify him to go on to study information technology. His kindly father Carlos (German de Silva), recognising that Marcos is not cut out to be a macho ranch worker like his homophobic older brother Carlitos, warmly congratulates him and says "You'll support us all". But his hard-bitten mother Olga's (Catalina Saavedra) only response is "Today the party's over."

We see Marcos watching her choose some new clothes and he urges her to choose prettier ones. She exploits his "feminine" skills for her own benefit. He secretly tries on some of the new clothes. When Olga discovers his clandestinely-sewn collection of sequinned women's clothes and make up, she throws them out, bitterly complaining, "Why are you doing this to me?"

An unforeseen event  tragically dashes Marcos and his father's hopes. The destitute family faces loss of their livelihood and eviction by the powerful ranch owner.

Nonetheless, Marcos is able to escape to the Carnival in town, made up and dressed as a woman in a wig and a mask. He joyously dances an erotic cumbia to Kumbia Queer's song 'Mi nombre es Marilyn' right up to the ranch-owner's thuggish son Facundo - with savagely disastrous consequences later on.

Marcos and his family are to move in to an as-yet-unfinished housing estate in town where he serendipitously meets the attractive teen Federico (Andrew Bargsted), who works in the corner shop there. There is a strong connection between them and they fall in love, sneaking off for lovely secret trysts. Fede's family is accepting.

Apart from his very happy dancing at Carnival and intimate moments with Fede, Marcos keeps a silently inscrutable expression showing nothing of his feelings. The expressive Walter Rodriguez was directed to perform the role in a very restrained fashion and the camera loves his prominent cheekbones, angular jawline, well-shaped lips and the expression in his dark eyes.

But following what happens to him after Carnival and being accepted by Fede's family, we may infer that he becomes wordlessly determined to live out his sexuality. He does so in very risky ways and Olga reacts very cruelly.

The formally restrained film weaves together themes of rural homophobia, economic injustice and class oppression. Olga responds to her powerlessness with increasing homophobic oppression of Marcos.

Although Marcos has a supportive teen girl friend Laura (Josefina Paredes), he doesn't confide  in anybody, so we don't really know his inner feelings and motivation. But we do care about him. However, we are not prepared for the shattering final climax of the film

'

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #4116 on: April 21, 2019, 06:44:01 AM »
We finished watching all 18 episodes of LOOKING.
We were sad to see the guys (and the girl) leave us...
Really a great, great series. Realistic, entertaining, down-to-earth.
We love it.

Ditto!  I thoroughly enjoyed 2 things: 1) observing their interactions as an outsider "looking in" and 2) determining where they were shooting the scenes.  This final scene is one of the most powerful.. it's about 5-10 mins but it sums up everything I felt about what they were after, "I just want you to be happy man..."

My favorite scene of all time is probably this sequence.. a few diff takes.
a) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7bFLc4kv0Q
b) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcLz3If389I
c) Bad vid but from this point forward -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9rh8imkGfw
V. 

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #4117 on: April 21, 2019, 08:49:08 AM »
The sadness in Kevin’s eyes... the ear rub... 😢

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #4118 on: April 21, 2019, 09:38:19 AM »
Yes. I cry for them every time I see this scene. Also the look on Patrick's face as he realizes that Kevin really does love him. :'(

That's why I live the story you sent me, Sara. Now I have to find where I put it to read it again.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #4119 on: April 21, 2019, 09:50:55 AM »
Sara, a new mini series on BBC ONE with Russell Tovey and Emma Thompson. It looks really good, but I'll have to wait for it over here.

http://www.towleroad.com/2019/04/russell-tovey-years/
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4120 on: April 21, 2019, 04:10:22 PM »
The sadness in Kevin’s eyes... the ear rub... 😢

Oh yes!!
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4121 on: April 21, 2019, 04:11:26 PM »
Yes. I cry for them every time I see this scene. Also the look on Patrick's face as he realizes that Kevin really does love him. :'(

You know what? We re-watched it all again, from scratch. the entire series 1 and 2 plus the movie.

In the end it's all so much clearer and sadder and lovelier.

And one doesn't want it to end.
WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4122 on: April 21, 2019, 04:11:54 PM »
It looks really good, but I'll have to wait for it over here.
 http://www.towleroad.com/2019/04/russell-tovey-years/

Oh, good.
WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4123 on: April 21, 2019, 04:30:47 PM »

WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4124 on: April 21, 2019, 04:31:22 PM »

WISE UP