The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Awards Aftermath - Part 2  (Read 229805 times)

Offline dback

• Obsessed
Re: Awards Aftermath - Part 2
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2008, 01:49:53 PM »
I went down the list of finalists for the Best Foreign Language film, and didn't recognize hardly any of them.  Ridiculous, in a year that's given us (just to name a few) "The Bubble" "The Kite Runner" "La Vie En Rose" "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" and "Persepolis."  (I haven't seen the last 2, but they're on a lot of year-end "best of" lists.) 

The nominees come out tomorrow, and frankly it seems the media is hardly even noticing it.  Just as well; maybe with the strike, the ceremony will be crippled beyond belief. 
"No reins on this one."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2008, 10:35:41 AM »
As for this year's Oscar nominations, I was glad to see two BBM alumni nominated who SHOULD have been nominated for BBM, in my opinion--Marit Allen nominated for costume design (La Vie en Rose) and Dylan Tichenor for film editing (There Will Be Blood).

My favorite of the BP nominees is Atonement, another film about unrequited love, although I haven't seen Michael Clayton yet.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 09:40:24 AM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline Roland

• Expert
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2008, 11:19:17 PM »
As for this year's Oscar nominations, I was glad to see two BBM alumni nominated who SHOULD have been nominated for BBM, in my opinion--Marit Allen nominated for costume design (La Vie en Rose) and Dylan Tichenor for film editing (There Will Be Blood).

My favorite of the BP nominees is Atonement, another film about unrequited love, although I haven't seen Michael Clayton yet.

Very perceptive of you to catch those, and nice to see them getting the recognition they deserve.  I never understood all this negativity towards BBM's editing.  Every shot is held for maximum effect and for just the right amount of time.  It certainly beats the Cuisinart editing style of Crash.

P.S. I loved Atonement too.  I think it is a beautiful film.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2008, 04:39:37 AM »
I like this poster, but there is such an error on it that
I don't know if I'll ever bring myself to get one--unless I
alter it myself.  Down at the bottom of the ribbon, three
from the end, should have been our boys...  Because it isn't,
I just cannot care about it...

Offline Roland

• Expert
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2008, 09:40:46 PM »
Yea, I wrote a kind of snarky comment on a site talking about that poster.   It went something like this:

Is there any way, short of taking a scissors to it, that one can get the poster without "Crash"?

Offline Roland

• Expert
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2008, 08:23:13 AM »
William H. Macy describes Heath's performance in BBM as the best he's seen in years.  John Travolta says, "Well, the first movie I saw him in was The Patriot, but then with Brokeback I don't think anyone will ever beat that performance, I don't know if it's possible."

Hearing these amazing reactions to Heath's performance from some of his brightest peers makes me even doubly angry that actors like Robert Duvall and Mark Wahlberg have admitted (one could almost say "boasted") that they've never seen the film.  Why would any actor not want to witness some of the best his craft has to offer?  With someone like Wahlberg, especially, who is still at the early stages of his career and hopes to be taken seriously as an actor, one would think he would want to study how someone of his own generation tackles a challenging role.  Instead, he lets his homophobia deprive him of watching one of the truly outstanding performances in movie history.  Maybe it's just jealousy. 

Offline graylockV

• Obsessed
  • Klaatu barada nikto
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2008, 11:26:59 AM »

Hearing these amazing reactions to Heath's performance from some of his brightest peers makes me even doubly angry that actors like Robert Duvall and Mark Wahlberg have admitted (one could almost say "boasted") that they've never seen the film.  Why would any actor not want to witness some of the best his craft has to offer?  With someone like Wahlberg, especially, who is still at the early stages of his career and hopes to be taken seriously as an actor, one would think he would want to study how someone of his own generation tackles a challenging role.  Instead, he lets his homophobia deprive him of watching one of the truly outstanding performances in movie history.  Maybe it's just jealousy. 

With Duvall and Wahlberg, who usually play "tough guys," it's just a refection of latent homophobia.  They don't want to be seen as guys who experienced any level of enjoyment from viewing a movie like Brokeback Mountain, a movie that portrays so-called "real men" like themselves as secretly gay.  If Ennis and Jack had been stereotypically limp-wristed then the Duvalls and Wahlbergs would have felt "safe"  watching the movie.  So The Birdcage yes, Brokeback Mountain, no.

Beulah, peel me a grape.

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2008, 09:55:52 PM »
This is from Yahoo News' report on the SAGs, written by David Hermain...

As with the Golden Globes, the Writers Guild has made it clear that its members would not be allowed to work on the Oscars. While stars generally have said they would skip the show rather than cross picket lines, Oscar organizers insist their telecast will take place as scheduled.

Once again, nothing but arrogance from AMPAS' powers.
In 2010, 606 people (all ages) were accidentally killed by guns.
Almost 3000 teens (15-19) die in traffic accidents a year.
1100 kids under 19 drown each year.
44 kids under 5 died of heat stroke in hot cars in 2013.
HIGH school sports account for 1.2 million trips to the ER annually.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008, 12:15:07 AM »
I don't know, I like the fact that "the show will go on".  It's an awards show that celebrates writers as well.  What's the point in picketing a show that would be better off without writers anyway...

WGA had no problem with SAG's show.  You have to pick your battles, awards shows are high profile, but not important to the issue IMO.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2008, 12:16:03 AM »
Some beautiful tributes to Heath at the SAG Awards this evening,
particularly for his work in Brokeback Mountain.  Nice to see.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Obsessed
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2008, 12:36:14 AM »
Yes it was very nice Lyle.

I thought the memorial tribute with Heath at the end was ok, but I was hoping for a little more.  Of course the music during the video was a very nice touch.

Daniel Day Lewis made up for my disappointment with the video.
Once a virgin, always a virgin

Offline Carissa

• Obsessed
  • Too young. too soon. too loved to be gone.
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2008, 01:52:04 AM »

I thought the memorial tribute with Heath at the end was ok, but I was hoping for a little more.  Of course the music during the video was a very nice touch.

Ditto. :)
Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
- Romeo and Juliet (Juliet at III, ii)

Offline Ben Franklin

• Experienced
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2008, 02:05:04 AM »
Daniel Day Lewis is a wonderful guy!

It's great how much the best of their profession - and DDL certainly is one of the best, if not THE best living actor right now - honor the memory of Heath and are genuinely grieving his loss.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2008, 10:22:58 AM »

Ditto. :)

Agree.

Offline dback

• Obsessed
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2008, 01:02:53 PM »
Yea, I wrote a kind of snarky comment on a site talking about that poster.   It went something like this:

Is there any way, short of taking a scissors to it, that one can get the poster without "Crash"?

I love the poster--it's beautifully designed--but anyone who looks at those titles can see there's a whole bunch there that didn't deserve The Big One.  Take comfort in that now, at least, almost everyone knows it.
"No reins on this one."