The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Awards Aftermath - Part 2  (Read 435145 times)

Offline retropian

• Experienced
Re: Awards Aftermath - Part 2
« Reply #495 on: January 20, 2010, 06:55:38 PM »
Speaking of awards, here's one that I think Forum members could just about guarantee that BBM can win.  It's Awards Daily's poll on the best love stories every filmed. Check it out and vote here:
http://www.awardsdaily.com/?p=18150

Will you help spread the word to other BBM fans? We're in second place now with Eternal Sunshine ahead by only 17 votes.

There's no notice of when voting stops, so let's keep asking friends to vote until we've
knocked it out of the park!

I voted! Vote or Die! said Kanye

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #496 on: January 20, 2010, 07:24:31 PM »
Yay! Now ask your friends to vote!

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #497 on: January 20, 2010, 08:17:22 PM »
I just voted.  We're down by 3

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #498 on: January 20, 2010, 08:39:44 PM »

Offline Ennis Del Mark

• Obsessed
  • The first sign of life in four years...
« Reply #499 on: January 21, 2010, 06:40:03 AM »
Speaking of awards, here's one that I think Forum members could just about guarantee that BBM can win.  It's Awards Daily's poll on the best love stories every filmed. Check it out and vote here:
http://www.awardsdaily.com/?p=18150

Will you help spread the word to other BBM fans? We're in second place now with Eternal Sunshine ahead by only 17 votes.

There's no notice of when voting stops, so let's keep asking friends to vote until we've
knocked it out of the park!

I just voted!  BBM leads the pack with 33% of the votes, I seem to recall.  (Short term memory loss)

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #500 on: January 21, 2010, 07:18:42 AM »
I just voted. BBM is a head now.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #501 on: January 21, 2010, 11:22:27 AM »
Barry Norman talks classic film

Barry Norman was the doyen of film critics for a quarter of a century. Arts Editor Andrew Clarke spoke to him about classic movies and the art of good film criticism.

For more than 25 years Barry Norman was the face of British cinema-going. His instantly recognisable delivery, and his catchphrase “and why not?” which he still maintains was a Rory Bremner invention, made him the nation's favourite film critic.

Although Barry has been off our screens for eight years now, he likes to keep abreast of the recent releases -“film is in my blood” and likes to tour the country giving audiences a glimpse of the behind the scenes stories surrounding some of cinema's greatest moments.

Barry Norman recently visited Colchester's Mercury Theatre to reveal the inside story on four classics Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, The Adventures of Robin Hood and Dirty Harry.

“The films are chosen at random. They are not necessarily the best films ever made or even my own favourite films but they are all great movies, absolute classics in their own way, and I chose them because they each have a good story to tell.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So are there any movies released in the last ten years that he would be tempted to include, if the book were to be re-issued today?

“There are quite a few actually. I would certainly put Gladiator in there along with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and much more recently I would put Good Night, Good Luck, the George Clooney movie which tackled the McCarthy era witchunts, which I thought was absolutely brilliant. Brokeback Mountain is another film that deserves a place because it is a groundbreaker. It was one of the first Hollywood movies which came out and said that homosexuality is not such an evil thing. And I think that because it said it so outspokenly is why it didn't win the Oscar that year. They gave it to Crash instead which although it had a nice message that racism is rather nasty, it is something that we really ought to know by now.”

http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/eadt/news/features/story.aspx?brand=EADOnline&category=Features&tBrand=EADOnline&tCategory=xDefault&itemid=IPED21%20Jan%202010%2016%3A30%3A31%3A397

Offline Marge_Innavera

• Obsessed
  • I'M WITH HER
    • Gift of Exile
« Reply #502 on: January 21, 2010, 11:31:33 AM »
Okay, I voted!  Brokeback is currently #1, by 67 votes.    :)

Since you could vote for up to 3, I would have been tempted to vote for Ghost and Titanic too; but they didn't include either one.
" 'Red' states are the meth labs of democracy."

Offline Oregondoggie

• Expert
« Reply #503 on: January 21, 2010, 03:44:33 PM »
Sent my woolies there as well!

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #504 on: January 21, 2010, 04:44:09 PM »
Update  3:44 PM (Pacific)  1/21/10

Brokeback Mountain (35%, 508 Votes)

Eternal Sunshine (28%, 402 Votes)

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #505 on: January 21, 2010, 05:42:36 PM »
I just voted....Brokeback at 35% and 515 votes
Life is worth living fully. Live each moment like you are going to die tomorrow.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #506 on: January 21, 2010, 05:43:59 PM »
Yeah, BBM is in the lead!  ;D

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #507 on: January 21, 2010, 06:00:19 PM »
Yeah, BBM is in the lead!  ;D

As it should be.  I've seen nearly all those other films, and while many are very good, they don't measure up to BBM.
Life is worth living fully. Live each moment like you are going to die tomorrow.

Offline kathy

• Obsessed
  • ...just like this...always
« Reply #508 on: January 21, 2010, 06:57:28 PM »
I just voted!!  BBM as #1, of course - as it should be.  Next is GWTW for me.
Bye from Kathy :)
"Tell you what...the truth is...sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it".

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #509 on: January 21, 2010, 07:23:33 PM »
*waves to Charlie and Kathy*

;D

Glad you both voted!