The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Awards Aftermath - Part 2  (Read 436658 times)

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
Re: Awards Aftermath - Part 2
« Reply #555 on: January 31, 2010, 01:24:50 PM »
I understand. I just disagree.
In 2010, 606 people (all ages) were accidentally killed by guns.
Almost 3000 teens (15-19) die in traffic accidents a year.
1100 kids under 19 drown each year.
44 kids under 5 died of heat stroke in hot cars in 2013.
HIGH school sports account for 1.2 million trips to the ER annually.

Offline kathy

• Obsessed
  • ...just like this...always
« Reply #556 on: January 31, 2010, 04:26:47 PM »
 ::)  Another reply to doodler's post above:

Disagree all you want - doesn't mean you're right and everyone else is wrong. 

p.s.  Thx, BayCityJohn and Lyle for your supporting posts.   
"Tell you what...the truth is...sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it".

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #557 on: January 31, 2010, 06:19:14 PM »
::)  Another reply to doodler's post above:

Disagree all you want - doesn't mean you're right and everyone else is wrong. 

p.s.  Thx, BayCityJohn and Lyle for your supporting posts.   

you're welcome Kathy, and I also support doodler's posts even if I disagree.

tonydude

« Reply #558 on: January 31, 2010, 06:25:23 PM »
I understand. I just disagree.
  And you always, when you do disagree, show respect for other's views, good breeding, and usually a measure of wit.  I love reading your posts, Doodler, even when they wouldn't reflect my own beliefs. Meanwhile, I don't think I've ever seen where you thought BBM shouldn't have won Best Picture; just your views on why it didn't.  But, if am wrong, there....I still admire independent thinking.

tonydude

« Reply #559 on: January 31, 2010, 06:33:03 PM »
Come on, the fix was in. We were all just too blinded by love to see it. Check some of the entertainment/movie watcher websites from just before the Oscars... there were cautions galore about an upset. We all "hate"  Crash because it was the name on the card, but we'd have hated any of the others as well.
   I believe this is Exhibit A, that you have only said BBM was doomed by homophobia.  Couldn't find anything else to the contrary, but if it's there, that would be ok by me.

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #560 on: February 01, 2010, 04:06:43 PM »
Right you are. There aren't words to express my shock and actual grief that night. Getting over it has been a long... and continuing... road. About the only thing worse was Jan. 22, 2008.

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #561 on: February 02, 2010, 02:05:15 PM »
Right you are. There aren't words to express my shock and actual grief that night. Getting over it has been a long... and continuing... road. About the only thing worse was Jan. 22, 2008.

Jan. 22, 2008 was much worst. Still heart broken over that date.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 02:25:05 PM by brokebacktom »

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #562 on: February 02, 2010, 02:07:03 PM »

and Jan. 23, 2008

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #563 on: February 02, 2010, 02:15:52 PM »
Speaking of awards, here's one that I think Forum members could just about guarantee that BBM can win.  It's Awards Daily's poll on the best love stories every filmed. Check it out and vote here:
http://www.awardsdaily.com/?p=18150

Will you help spread the word to other BBM fans? We're in second place now with Eternal Sunshine ahead by only 17 votes.

There's no notice of when voting stops, so let's keep asking friends to vote until we've knocked it out of the park!

I think the voting has stopped, only because people ceased voting.  it's still "open".  However, here are the current tallies.

Brokeback Mountain (36%, 640 Votes)
Eternal Sunshine (24%, 426 Votes)
Moulin Rouge (16%, 273 Votes)
Wall-E (12%, 204 Votes)
Annie Hall (11%, 201 Votes)

BM is 214 votes ahead, and these figures haven't changed since last week.  ;D

Offline Marge_Innavera

• Obsessed
  • I'M WITH HER
    • Gift of Exile
« Reply #564 on: February 03, 2010, 08:26:55 AM »
Come on, the fix was in. We were all just too blinded by love to see it. Check some of the entertainment/movie watcher websites from just before the Oscars... there were cautions galore about an upset. We all "hate"  Crash because it was the name on the card, but we'd have hated any of the others as well.

IMO, the pronoun "we" is inappropriate here.

The other 3 Best Picture contenders were Good Night and Good Luck, Munich and Capote.  I would have been disappointed if any of these had been chosen instead of Brokeback, but to have BBM passed over in favor of "social consciousness for the Gated Community" was an insult as well as a disappointment.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 08:50:56 AM by Marge_Innavera »
" 'Red' states are the meth labs of democracy."

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #565 on: February 03, 2010, 12:54:10 PM »
but to have BBM passed over in favor of "social consciousness for the Gated Community" was an insult as well as a disappointment.

This is pretty funny, and sadly, true.

I have no doubt "homophobia' reared it ugly head during the voting process that year but I really
do doubt it was the deciding factor in BBM not receiving Best Pic.

Here's my rationale for what it's worth.

It seems a cliche but it is true.
This is how/why members vote for Oscar recipients.

Vote for your friends
Vote your pocketbook
Vote against your enemies
Vote for that which you consider the “best”.

“Capote”, also an independent film had a popular cast and a very popular screenwriter.  Certainly no one associated with the film voted for BBM and Futterman and PSH are very popular folks around Hollywood.  In this case, people vote for their friends.

“Good Night and Good Luck” was directed by one of the most popular men in Hollywood, had some good performances, and dealt with a topic that has always been near and dear to Hollywood.  No one associated with this film voted for BBM and many who were not associated voted for GNGL just because of Clooney.   In this case, people voted for their friends.

“Munich” was directed by the most powerful director in Hollywood and he was totally pissed, and made his anger public, at Universal (also the marketing arm for BBM) for not marketing his film properly. Not only did no one associated with this film vote for BBM, many others did not either because they felt loyal to Spielberg or had strong financial ties to him and so they voted for “Munich”.
In this case people voted for their friends AND others for their pocketbook.

Haggis had just come off “Million Dollar Baby” and was working with Eastwood/Spielberg on the “Fathers”/ “Letters from…” films.  You can bet Eastwood and Hanks and their friends voted for Haggis. 
Again people voting for friends AND pocketbook.

BBM was a very small film that, in general, everyone liked but about which no one was really “passionate”.  The cast was young and not part of the Hollywood establishment (except for Jake due to his parents). 
The project was filmed outside of Hollywood so none of the trade votes were beholden to it.
BBM did not garner many “friends” votes nor many “pocketbook” votes.  The votes mostly came from those who actually thought it was the “best” film.

“Crash” was populated with a boat load of Hollywood popular actors.  The actors and their friends alone could easily have accounted for 500 to 700 votes. 
Lionsgate felt comfortable spending tons of money on an Oscar campaign especially since they were in negotiations with FX to turn the film into a televison series.   As others here on the forum have said, the storyline, trite as it is, appealed to the “social consciousness of the gated community” and assuaged the “guilt” of the “latte liberals’. 
Again, Haggis’ popularity, especially with actors, was a major factor.  Not only was he popular with film actors but he goes all the way back to “Thirtysomething” for which he won scriptwriting Emmy’s. 

Consequently, “Crash” got the friends vote, the pocketbook vote AND the “thought it was the best vote” from a few.  It was also the safe harbor for the homophobes.

So, with no one film to get overly excited about, and anticipating that BBM was going to “win anyway”, people felt free to vote for their friends and for their own financial interests. 

Remember, also, that in 2005 all it took to win was a plurality.  (Unlike this year when the Best PIc will be chosen by a “preferential voting “ system similar to the way the nomination process works.
Consequently, all things being equal, “Crash” only need around 1145 or so votes to win and that is if all the ballots were returned.  It is not difficult to construct a scenario in which “Crash” could garner that many votes and even many more.

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #566 on: February 03, 2010, 02:57:14 PM »
Garyd, I couldn't agree with you more. Your assessment is right on.
And I agree that any other film would have been preferable to Crash which, while not the worse film of the year, was definitely the least deserving of the five nominees, in my opinion.
My original post was about how often Crash is mentioned on this site as if it were the bogeyman mom's talk about every night to make their kids eat their veggies.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #567 on: February 03, 2010, 03:07:03 PM »
Crash is also mentioned as the bogeyman on numerous other sites, and it is still mentioned in news articles to this day whenever people write about Brokeback and the Oscars.

So it's not just us.

Have a nice day and be sure to eat your veggies!  ;D

Offline daannzzz

• Obsessed
« Reply #568 on: February 03, 2010, 04:11:59 PM »
I am unsure if I am dumb or have no taste but I saw "Crash" in May of 09 and loved it. I thought it was one of the best I had seen in a long time. I used to go to movies twice a week when I was younger. Not so much anymore but I had heard it was interesting. Of course I saw BBM in January of 06 and Crash moved back quite a ways on my list. I personally do think that homophobia ended up causing Crash to win though and it has bothered me a lot but I do not think it makes Crash a worse film. I still loved that one so I guess I just am clueless.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 04:32:55 PM by daannzzz »

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #569 on: February 03, 2010, 04:28:42 PM »
I love to pick on  >:D Crash  >:D , but seriously I don't hate the film. It's an ok movie but not in the same league as Academy Award nominees.