The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Awards Aftermath - Part 2  (Read 435040 times)

tonydude

Re: Awards Aftermath - Part 2
« Reply #630 on: March 04, 2010, 09:41:33 PM »
  Roland, that is a great story.  Strangely enough, the way the younger set went nuts over TDK, that may have brought them back to the subject of what else Heath Ledger had done, and so, to BBM.  At any rate, they do tend to be savvy, and, more and more, accepting of movies like BBM.  Thanks for giving that example.....

Online ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #631 on: March 05, 2010, 09:12:56 AM »
(((((((Ing2ndfavMoulinRougeHunkymanhungburgerSir)))))))

(((Robhunk))) I love it !

:-*
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
  • Ten Year Forum Member. Do I get a pin?
« Reply #632 on: March 05, 2010, 09:14:54 AM »
Old Brokeback got me good...

Online ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #633 on: March 05, 2010, 09:16:11 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^

;) ;) ;)
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Online ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #634 on: March 05, 2010, 09:16:33 AM »

Roland, your story made me smile...

WISE UP

Offline Ennis Del Mark

• Obsessed
  • The first sign of life in four years...
« Reply #635 on: March 05, 2010, 11:56:54 AM »
Here is my annual Oscar prediction article for my local newspaper.  Some of you might like to read it.  Criticisms, praise, comments, etc., are welcome.  Just don't give me any flak for my love of UP IN THE AIR or for not predicting a win for my beloved Colin.  If I had MY way he, Jeff, and George (sorry, all you Clooney-haters, but I love the guy) would end up in a three-way tie and all take home Best Actor Oscars.  Anyway, here is the article: 

WILL AVATAR’S BLUE--AND GREEN--BRING OSCAR GOLD?

By Mark Kirby

Can it really be 12 years ago that the two main candidates for the Best Picture Academy Award were the highest-grossing movie of all time (“Titanic”) and a critically adored film (“L.A. Confidential”) that had taken in about 1/100th of that ship-and-iceberg movie’s box-office coin?

Well as always, history repeats itself, especially in Hollywood.  Even though for the first time since 1944 there are ten best picture nominees, after damning criticism that 2008’s blockbuster THE DARK KNIGHT was gypped out of a best picture nod, this year’s two main Oscar candidates are again the newest highest moneymaker of all time (“Avatar,” coincidentally directed by James Cameron, who helmed “Titanic”) and a critical darling but box-office disappointment (“The Hurt Locker,” directed by, in an amusing turn of events, Kathryn Bigelow, Cameron’s ex-wife).

And so we are faced yet again with the question of, Will Oscar reward the moneymaker or the underdog movie?    “Titanic” swept the boards in 1998, while “L.A.” won only two.  To be fair, “Titanic” had largely favorable reviews, but not the raves of “L.A. Confidential”, and “Avatar” has been praised, though not nearly as much as “The Hurt Locker.”  So who will Oscar pick—the movie with the Marine on the moon Pandora or the movie with the army bomb defusing soldiers in Iraq?   

Personally, I wish the two would cancel each other out and enable my favorite film of 2009, the achingly topical and bittersweet UP IN THE AIR, to win top honors. (The only award “Air” is certain to win is best adapted screenplay.) But this article is about what I think will happen, not what I wish will happen.  And away we go, as the great Gleason said…

BEST PICTURE:  “The Hurt Locker.”  Bad box-office aside, it’s being discovered on DVD and many Academy voters see the nominated films on DVD, and many are aware that “Locker” has already won lots of awards.  A “soldiers in Iraq movie” has been overdue for Oscar honors and especially since “Locker” is more suspenseful than political (some see more political content in “Avatar”) it is a safe—but justifiable—choice for best picture.  “Avatar” will win a batch of technical awards, but its’ director’s comments about how it will reinvent screen acting are likely to turn off actors, who make up the majority of Oscar voters.

ACTOR:  Jeff Bridges for “Crazy Heart.”  How appropriate that his country music singer-songwriter character, Bad Blake, is often drinking from a fifth of liquor!  Bridges, quite possibly the finest actor of his generation—certainly the most unsung—will win an Oscar on his fifth nomination, never having won in the past, an injustice that will be rectified on Oscar night.   

ACTRESS:  Meryl Streep for “Julie & Julia.”  Some say that Sandra Bullock will win for “The Blind Side,” and she may but I think the nomination is Bullock’s prize.  Streep portrays the legendary Julia Child with a joy and brilliance equal to that of the French Chef herself.  It’ll be hard for voters not to finally reward her with a third Oscar, 27 years and 12 nominations after her last Oscar.

SUPPORTING ACTOR:  Christopher Plummer in “The Last Station.”  Here we go, here’s where the forecasters and I widely diverge.  Christoph Waltz has won practically every supporting award there is for his Nazi colonel in “Inglorious Basterds” and deserves the Oscar.  But then we have another Chris, an 80-year-old Tony- and Emmy-winning actor who has given many fine film performances, such as writer Leo Tolstoy in “The Last Station.”  This is Plummer’s first Oscar nomination and I see the sentiment factor at work here even more so than in Jeff Bridges’ race.  I may be dead wrong but a win for Plummer wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS:  Mo’Nique in “Precious:  Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire.”  As the uncaring mother from hell and the vilest character in such a role since Shelley Winters in “A Patch of Blue” (1965), the galvanic Mo”Nique will add an Oscar to her many awards for “Precious,” just as Winters won an Oscar for “Blue.”   

DIRECTOR:  Kathryn Bigelow for “The Hurt Locker.”   Whether or not her ex’s film wins top prize Bigelow is a shoo-in for the director Oscar.  Not only will there be the “it’s time a woman won this award” feeling but Bigelow has crafted an unbearably tense and fine film.

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:  Mark Boal, “The Hurt Locker.”
ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:  Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner, “Up in the Air”
ANIMATED FILM:  “Up”
FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM:  “The Milk of Sorrow”
ART DIRECTION:  “Avatar”
CINEMATOGRAPHY:  “Avatar” (those blue people in it are creepy but it’s a pretty shade of blue)
EDITING:  “The Hurt Locker”
SOUND MIXING:  “The Hurt Locker”
SOUND EDITING:  “Avatar” 
VISUAL EFFECTS:  “Avatar”
MAKEUP:  “The Young Victoria”
ORIGINAL SCORE:  “Up”
ORIGINAL SONG:  “The Weary Kind” from “Crazy Heart”
COSTUME DESIGN:  “Nine”
DOCUMENTARY FEATURE:  “The Most Dangerous Man in America:  Daniel Ellsburg and the Pentagon Papers”
DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT:  “The Last Truck:  Closing of a GM Plant”
ANIMATED SHORT FILM:  “A Matter of Loaf and Death” (just for that title alone)
LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM:  “Kavi”

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #636 on: March 05, 2010, 04:15:14 PM »
Going Gay for the Gold

From Peter Finch in Sunday Bloody Sunday to Colin Firth in A Single Man, The Advocate takes a look at the 30 men and women nominated for an Oscar for playing LGBT since the Stonewall riots.

Jake Gyllenhaal
Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Brokeback Mountain
Role: Jack Twist, a rodeo cowboy who falls in love and carries on a secret relationship with ranch hand Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger).

Heath Ledger
Best Actor in a Leading Role, Brokeback Mountain
Role: Ennis Del Mar, a ranch hand who falls in love and carries on a secret relationship with a rodeo cowboy (Jake Gyllenhaal).

more..

http://advocate.com/Arts_and_Entertainment/Film/Going_Gay_for_the_Gold/

Offline Ennis Del Mark

• Obsessed
  • The first sign of life in four years...
« Reply #637 on: March 05, 2010, 09:59:12 PM »
Oh, Heath and Jake--robbed of Oscars.  As was Bruce Davison for LONGTIME COMPANION.  I was really pissed about that loss.

Offline kathy

• Obsessed
  • ...just like this...always
« Reply #638 on: March 06, 2010, 02:24:24 PM »
Oh, I know I've posted this before, but ...here I go --

BBM deliberately denied Best Picture of 2005.  It didn't lose; it was deliberately denied.  And losing to such beyond bad "TRASH" adds insult to injury.
Heath & Jake's superb acting denied.  Beautiful cinematography snubbed.  You bet homophobia and despicable whispering campaigns in various quarters played a very large part.  >:( 
Well, if that rotten, stupid "academy" thinks this will be forgotten -- it never will.   >:D

(p.s.  I'd kick myself if I didn't mention my boy Peter O'Toole.  Eight nominations - no win ("honorary" award in 2003, sure - after all the snubs).  Immortal performance (1st nomination) as Lawrence of Arabia denied.  Last nomination in 2007 - humiliated again.  See how mean-spirited they are even in different circumstances)?   >:(
"Tell you what...the truth is...sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it".

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #639 on: March 06, 2010, 02:26:48 PM »
I've been researching news articles about Brokeback this week, as I do every week, and it seems like 80 % of the articles I'm finding are talking about  >:D Crash  >:D stealing the 2005 Best Picture Oscar.

Offline kathy

• Obsessed
« Reply #640 on: March 06, 2010, 02:34:33 PM »
 :)  BaycityJohn:

YES!!

"Tell you what...the truth is...sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it".

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #641 on: March 06, 2010, 02:57:15 PM »
Last nomination in 2007 - humiliated again.  See how mean-spirited they are even in different circumstances)?   >:(

Kathy, there's one thing to be disappointed over certain outcomes
and another to actually be angry over them.  We've all been disappointed
and disagree with decisions over the years, but to think the academy, and
I can't believe I'm going to defend them a bit, but to think they, as a group,
sit there and deliberately are mean-spirited, for example, by not giving
Peter O'Toole the award for that performance in 2007, which he probably
shouldn't have been nominated for anyway--so you could say they were
being generous!, is a bit far fetched in my opinion.  They did not award Jake
or Heath, but no one expected them to.  Lead actors under thirty almost never,
Brody excepted, win that award.  In 1962 Peter was just 30.  Brando was thirty
and probably should have won for his seminal Streetcar performance, but
no one really disagrees that Bogart's African Queen nor Peck's Mockingbird
performances were unworthy.  As for Jake, he was up against Clooney, who
was also up for director and whether or not we'd have enjoyed a different
outcome, the outcome was not at all unexpected.

I keep writing about BBM's loss, because we have sufficient evidence
in the way things played out that year, that homophobia was a big factor
in it's outcome.  If there had been any evidence suggesting "distinct (or any)
possibility" of another outcome I would have been terrifically disappointed
and disagreeable, but had a modicum of acceptance based on previous
behavior's.  (Oscar precursor's and prognostications.)  It is evident or
acceptable in most of the cases one disagrees or dislikes an outcome, so I
can still disagree and let it go, but only in the case of BBM, I see no other
options than the disagreeable one.  And that is why I do not let it go, especially
if something to the contrary surfaces.

Make sense?

Offline kathy

• Obsessed
« Reply #642 on: March 06, 2010, 04:20:29 PM »
 :)  Hi Lyle
Yes, you certainly do make sense.  The seminal topic is [u]BBM[/u] being deliberately denied Best Picture of 2005, as I stated above, and there definitely are several legitimate answers as to "why".  Homophobia being a very large part indeed.   >:(   >:D  I hope you successfully pursue it, perhaps better than I can.

You remember a while back when we first communicated, I did state that young men under the age of 30   ::)  are very rarely rewarded, even for great performances.  That's why I mentioned Peter again, and why I mentioned Heath & Jake.  His performance in "Venus" (2006) was very good, (not my favorite, but very good, like those in - definitely The Lion in Winter, Stunt Man, Ruling Class and others) - and after eight nominations  -- :(   I read that K. Hepburn stated David Lean told her it's as if "the men have to earn their spurs"  ::)  or something to that effect.   

Sure, M. Brando should have won for that Streetcar performance as Stanley; all the other principals won, but he was only 26 at the time.  And I sure like H. Bogart; he was just as great in Treasure of the Sierra Madre and Caine Mutiny. (Got to mention another one: W. Holden should have won for Sunset Blvd. - G. Swanson too, of course, but she was up against B. Davis, etc., noone could agree so they gave it to someone who didn't deserve it - J. Holliday)!  Wm. was 32 at the time, and they gave it to him later for Stalag 17.  Oh, well, we could go on and on...but pls. keep pursuing that all-time BBM denial and the reasons for it. 

Sincerely,
kathy

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #643 on: March 07, 2010, 11:37:06 AM »
I read that K. Hepburn stated David Lean told her it's as if "the men have to earn their spurs"  ::)  or something to that effect. 

Thanks Kathy, lol, I don't think I ever heard that quote above...Ms. Hepburn
did have a way with words.

Did you ever get to see Mr. O'Toole in person?  I don't think I have.
My favorite performance of his is in My Favorite Year, but that's more
because that film mostly takes place on the night I was born.  Otheerwise,
I just love The Lion in Winter!

Offline kathy

• Obsessed
« Reply #644 on: March 07, 2010, 08:47:31 PM »
 :) Hi Lyle --
1.  No, I never met Peter.  Tried to once in NY, but missed him.  I wish I had; and definitely wish he knew of my long, unrequited love. 
I loved The Lion in Winter too (his 2nd turn as Henry II; the first was in Becket).  I liked My Favorite Year; really liked his acting like E. Flynn.  But his iconic performance as Lawrence is always going to be #1 for me.  ;)  (It was voted in 2006 by Parade Magazine as #1 of all time).  And he was beautifully handsome; imagine what this did to a girl!  And the restoration of LOA in 1998-99 is a marvel.  Peter said years ago: "I was obsessed; two years; I wanted to become him; it hampered my acting later on".  (I don't think so, but ...)  Yet he also said, in one of his interviews a few yrs. ago w/Charlie Rose, when Rose stated "You know what's going to be on your tombstone... "Yes".  "What do you think?"..."Proud of it". 
(Maybe I should have put this in a PM to you - I don't want the forum members to be angry). 

2.  Anyway, there sure is something we do agree on.  It's great that you continue on pursuing the awful truth of BBM's being denied Best Picture of 2005  >:( , and the very legitimate reasons for it.  It was deliberately denied; that is never going to go away.  Blatant homophobia is the large part of it.  All of the deliberate whispering campaigns against what is already recognized as a classic.  How those rotten cowardly ampas "members"  >:D  could do what they did is downright mean.