The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Awards Aftermath - Part 2  (Read 436705 times)

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
Re: Awards Aftermath - Part 2
« Reply #1605 on: December 19, 2016, 11:14:15 AM »
Others have a differing opinion:

It Really is the End of the World as We Know It
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/21/it-really-is-the-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it-ian-bremmer-on-t/

President Trump and the End of the World as We Know It
http://www.scmp.com/comment/insight-opinion/article/2044539/president-trump-and-end-world-we-know-it

It’s the End of the West as We Know It
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/its-the-end-of-the-west-as-we-know-it/2016/11/15/9e3ce89a-ab54-11e6-977a-1030f822fc35_story.html?utm_term=.c22f4a7c7524

Donald Trump Is the End of Global Politics as We Know It
http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/11/11/donald-trump-will-change-global-politics-as-we-know-it/

I meant to say that I personally don't think that Donald Trump becoming the President of the U.S. is the " end of the world as we have known it", but I do not doubt that other people think that, I just don't agree with them.  The next four years will be challenging, but I think that things will be all right.  The American public and the rest of the world aren't going to stop living just because someone like Donald Trump becomes the president.  Plenty of other American presidents and politicians have held social and political views that are similar to his.  I think that people should just go on supporting the causes they believe in and trying to change policies that they think are "unfair".  I doubt that Trump's role as the president will last forever.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1606 on: December 19, 2016, 12:59:16 PM »

You seem pretty blase in your statements above. Based on the choice we had in this election,  you are normalizing reality show and crass behavior as acceptable among so many other things. You can choose to accept it, I will not. Did you support him? Do I recall you saying you're in Michigan, are you not?  What did you do to help stop this there, since he won with about 11,000 votes out of 5,000,000?  The three states most repsponsible for his acendency: Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Our new reality. If you don't think it makes much difference...

Gathered from articles across the internet:

Old message: Kindness matters
New message: Kindness is pathetic

Old message: Inclusion, unity, tolerance
New message: Marginalization, hostility, white supremacy

Old message: Succeed through good work, integrity, compromise, legislative wrangling, thoughtful policy, cogent argument, being kind to your fellow man
New message: Succeed through lies, bullying, cheap tricks, more lies, a record number of lies, nearly everything you say is a lie, insults, taunts, rancid tweets

Old belief: Be whatever you want! This is America: Diversity rules. You are safe and your uniqueness is embraced and celebrated
New reality: Not white? Not male? Not straight? Fear for your life

Previous given: A president you are proud to have as a role model for your kids
New given: Shield your kids from anything and everything this president says and does

Old greeting: Handshake
New greeting: Middle finger

Old bond: Warm hug
New bond: Sucker punch

Old message: Fight for the rights of women and children for, advocate for multiple worthy causes, help millions through foundations, charities, nonprofits, champion all manner of progressive ideas and projects for more than 30 years, and you can become president.
New message: Openly mock and demean women, blacks, Islam, immigrants, Jews, integrity, kindness. Scam and con everyone, do not pay your workers, grope females in the crotch and call them fat pigs, and you can become president.

Tangible dream: First woman president
Brutal reality: Authoritarian, illiterate racist white male president

Previous concern: In bed with Wall Street
Current disgust: In bed with Putin

Previous policy: Clean energy, get off oil, more solar, investment in the future
New destruction: More coal, more oil, fewer regulations, a complete implosion of US energy policy

Previous leader: Grace, class, articulation, deeply respectful of the office, humanitarian, globally esteemed, great with kids, adores his family, profound understanding of the nuances of the world, inspiring and generous of spirit
New leader: Graceless, bloviated, vengeful, zero concern for human welfare, globally detested, children scream and squirm away in his presence, family is a cauldron of vipers, no understanding of any issues or global concerns at any depth whatsoever

Previous certainty: This could never happen
Terrifying new enquiry: How the f–k did this happen

Yesterday: World applauds
Today: World recoils

Old America: Recovering powerfully, economically reliable, unemployment down, markets strong, globally respected, adults in charge
New America: Markets uncertain, millions worse off than before, economically unreliable, globally mistrusted, flatulent, failed, greedy billionaire in charge

Previous dream: Obama’s legacy, preserved
New nightmare: Obama’s legacy, destroyed

Previous call letters: HRC
New call letters: KKK

Previous message: Women! Newly empowered in record numbers, surging forth, transforming the nation and the world, determined to put an end to rape culture, pay inequality, et al.
New message: Women! Fat and nasty, slammed backwards 50 years, mocked and tossed aside. Also, 53% of white women voted for a man who detests them, believes them subhuman and will undermine nearly every right they’ve earned in the past 100 years.

This is how America humiliates itself. This is how the once-great, always messy, never predictable American experiment suddenly shudders, collapses in on itself...Trump made a mockery of the electorate, the system and both political parties, not to mention feminism, Obama, America’s role in world affairs and the economy – and now the entire nation will pay a price the ignominy and destructive cruelty of which we cannot yet fathom.  There is no silver lining here. There is no upside. Yes, love will regroup, hope will endure, the fight will continue, the backlash is nigh, the heartbroken will gather in progressive havens like California and various urban centers to heal and hold on tight. New strategies will emerge. We will redouble our efforts, our intentions toward compassion and love. They can never be defeated, only shouted down. The Democratic party will rebuild into… something. We must resist the temptation, as always, to drown in fatalism.

But let it be known: America has hereby forsaken a significant portion of its greatness, grace and stability. In electing Trump, we have humiliated our forefathers, dishonored authentic masculinity, disgraced our women and brought fear and violence to our children. We have invited the demons of authoritarianism and cruelty to the table. The Trump presidency is going to be unconscionable, disgraceful beyond compare and exceedingly difficult to endure. No one will be spared.
One thing is certain: America’s place in the world will never be the same. While we might someday restore a bit of our strength and grace, we will not recover from Trump. Not completely. Not ever. Love will regroup, wounds will heal. But the ascendency of Donald Trump is one of the bleakest, blackest events in American history, and our humiliation has started.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #1607 on: December 19, 2016, 06:46:41 PM »
Lyle.. next time I'm out our way.. I'll buy you a beer.  All well said.   I never imagined that the American people would be gullible enough to vote for this con-man.  We are in for a rough ride for the next 10+ years.  Heaven help us if he get's to appoint more than 1 sitting supreme court justice. 

"The Trump presidency is going to be unconscionable, disgraceful beyond compare and exceedingly difficult to endure. No one will be spared."

V.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1608 on: December 20, 2016, 10:57:42 AM »

Vincent,

I'd like to think the American people did not ultimately vote for this con man.  That it's the arcane electoral college
system that is at fault. It was designed to keep someone like this guy out of office by having a check on the voters,
but it's not working that way now. The system never imagined the mobility of people to move around and gather in
different states, leaving other states to gain power beyond their measure.  Fourteen million voters in California are
trumped by a few other states that are allowed to sucker punch the majority. California rejected this guy by 62% to
31%. A margin not seen since the election of FDR back in the 1930's.  4.3 million more people voted for HRC here
than this clown. How many states don't even have 14 million people total? It's no wonder that 40% of Trump voters
do not think that California and New York's votes should be counted in the national vote total. They also think that
millions of votes were cast illegally.  I guess they have to believe that. And the Pig Pence ticket says they would've
won by millions if it were a national vote winner because they would've campaigned differently.  I tell you what, if
it were that way, a lot more than 49% of Los Angeles county's voters would've come out to vote.  We didn't even get
half of the electorate in the county to cast a vote in this Presidential election.  It might be hard to believe in other
states, but we had virtually NO political advertising this year, either, for any candidates.  We had more in the primaries
than the actual election. That's because California is dismissed. We know where the votes are going. So the swing
states get bombarded with a continual cesspool of negativity.  I am lamenting here, because it's all I have today.

We are embarking on a period of "The Emperor's New Clothes" fairytale by Hans Christian Anderson.  From the very
beginning I have thought that this is what the Pig Pence campiagn was all about. This needs to be adapted into a
modern version because it is so apropos.  Just reading the short synopsis will have you nodding your head.

"The Emperor's New Clothes is a short tale about two weavers who promise an emperor a new suit of clothes that they say is invisible to those who are unfit for their positions, stupid, or incompetent. When the Emperor parades before his subjects in his new clothes, no one dares to say that they don't see any suit of clothes on him for fear that they will be seen as "unfit for their positions, stupid, or incompetent". Finally, a child cries out, "But he isn't wearing anything at all!" The tale has been translated into over 100 languages."

We are currently living a real life version of it.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
« Reply #1610 on: December 24, 2016, 10:56:32 AM »
Is anyone feeling the same way about the election returns as you
did when Brokeback Mountain didn't win the Best Picture award?

Not really!  I think it is all just proof you never know  - life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!

And to keep this on topic, have to say it was my happiest Oscar year!

Forrest Gump won Best Picture, Best Actor in a Leading Role, Best Director, Best Visual Effects, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Film Editing at the 67th Academy Awards. The film was nominated for seven Golden Globe Awards, winning three of them: Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama, Best Director – Motion Picture, and Best Motion Picture – Drama. The film was also nominated for six Saturn Awards and won two for Best Fantasy Film and Best Supporting Actor (Film).

In addition to the film's multiple awards and nominations, it has also been recognized by the American Film Institute on several of its lists. The film ranks 37th on 100 Years...100 Cheers, 71st on 100 Years...100 Movies, and 76th on 100 Years...100 Movies (10th Anniversary Edition). In addition, the quote "Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get," was ranked 40th on 100 Years...100 Movie Quotes.[56] The film also ranked at number 240 on Empire's list of the 500 Greatest Movies of All Time.[57]

In December 2011, Forrest Gump was selected for preservation in the Library of Congress' National Film Registry.[58] The Registry said that the film was "honored for its technological innovations (the digital insertion of Gump seamlessly into vintage archival footage), its resonance within the culture that has elevated Gump (and what he represents in terms of American innocence) to the status of folk hero, and its attempt to engage both playfully and seriously with contentious aspects of the era's traumatic history."[59]

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1611 on: December 28, 2016, 05:21:46 PM »

Hello members!!!!  The Admin/Mod/Tech team is coming to you with news for the new year.

When this forum was originally founded, it was under the URL we all know, www.DaveCullen.com, however, it was often referred to as the "Ultimate Brokeback Forum".  Dave's website had a link to the forum, and the two entities were joined as one.

For a host of technical reasons beyond Dave’s technical ability, he needs to turn his website over to a service that can handle much of the work—and it can’t support the massive forum database. Dave really wants the forum to proceed, so the solution is simple: just split Dave’s personal pages and the forum to two separate web addresses. Everything else remains the same.

To continue to follow Dave Cullen, you can use the existing address,   www.DaveCullen.com .

To access the Ultimate Brokeback Forum, you will need to bookmark this new address:   https://www.UltimateBrokebackForum.com/forum.

We expect this change to take place within a week's time, and there should be no major disruption to the forum.   While the UBF will no longer be linked to DCF,  Dave Cullen will retain his ownership of both sites. 

Please continue to watch the threads/newsbox for further updates!  We will attempt to give you all 24 hours notice before the change takes place.  However, you should make note of the new address now.  If you try to log in at the old address and you are unable to, try to use the new address.  Thanks for your continued participation in this community!

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 02:49:06 PM by killersmom »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1612 on: February 27, 2017, 12:28:49 PM »
I'd be remiss, lol, if I didn't post at least one of the annual articles about the Oscars that brings this up.
I only agree with two of these five.

Top Five Most Unjust Awards: Tales of Oscar Outrages Past
Sunday, Feb 26, 2017

1. Best Director: Robert Redford, “Ordinary People” beat Martin Scorsese, “Raging Bull”

2. Best Picture: “Crash” beats “Brokeback Mountain”

Paul Haggis’ topical ensemble drama about race and class in L.A. certainly pushed some buttons when it was released, but when this wholly mediocre film toppled the more-nominated and favored “Brokeback Mountain,” many people were incensed. Did “Crash” win by accident? How could a manipulative, ham-fisted drama that provoked white liberal guilt pull an upset over Best Director-winning Ang Lee’s sensitive and tragic love story between two cowboys? Were voters — much less viewers — honestly more moved by “Crash”? Was there homophobia in the industry that prompted a “Brokeback” backlash? It’s hard to know for sure, but over time, Heath Ledger’s remarkable performance (which sadly lost to Philip Seymour Hoffman’s turn as “Capote”) will still be remembered long after “Crash” is forgotten.

3. Best Picture: “Shakespeare in Love” beats “Saving Private Ryan”

4. Best Actress: Meryl Streep in “The Iron Lady” beats Viola Davis in “The Help”

5. Best original song: Sam Smith and James Napier “Writing’s on the Wall” from “Spectre” beats Lady Gaga and Diane Warren “Til It Happens to You” from “The Hunting Ground”

http://www.salon.com/2017/02/27/top-five-most-unjust-awards-tales-of-oscar-outrages-past/

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1613 on: March 05, 2017, 04:58:24 PM »

Top 10 Worst Best Picture Oscar-Winning Movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIsoZd4EHeQ

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1614 on: March 07, 2017, 12:23:28 PM »
^^^

I just noticed my above post was made on March 5th, 11 years to the day of the Brokeback Mountain Oscars.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1615 on: March 07, 2017, 12:49:54 PM »

This was in today's TDS.

Was "Moonlight's" Win an Antidote for Brokeback's Snub?

http://www.scmp.com/culture/film-tv/article/2074766/was-moonlights-best-picture-win-perfect-antidote-brokeback-mountains

There are so many reasons why the answer is no.

Some of those reasons, taken as a whole, are:

--The way the awards season played out in 2005-2006 it's quite easy to trace it to homophobia.

--None of the other films in 2005 was thought of as having a chance to win that year.

--There was that talk this year. Either/or...  Except the either/or changed a couple times.

--There were 9 nominees this year and voting is now done by a weighted ballot system which
can change an outcome depending on how you rank your film choices.

--This was the year after two years of controversy about #OscarsSoWhite. It's a distinct possibility
that Moonlight won because of that controversy and so it's not a celebration of an LGBT film winning,
but more of a black film being voted on.

--At least in terms of acceptance at the Box Office, Brokeback made a mountain more money than
Moonlight has, so the public, at least, can't really answer that posed question.

--Among other reasons...

--In my own personal opinion, of the 9 films nominated for Best Picture this year,
Moonlight is down in the bottom third IMO.

1.) La La Land (6 wins)
2.) Hidden Figures (0 wins)
3.) Hacksaw Ridge (2 wins)
4.) Lion (0 wins)
5.) Hell or High Water (0 wins)
6.) Arrival (1)
7.) Moonlight (3)
8.) Fences (1)
9.) Manchester by the Sea (2)

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #1616 on: June 14, 2017, 07:16:41 PM »
I haven't seen "Moonlight" (2016), but I have heard that it was good.  I don't think that by "Moonlight" winning the Academy Award for Best Picture that it will make up for the anger that many fans of "Brokeback Mountain" felt when that film failed to win Best Picture.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #1617 on: June 14, 2017, 07:28:40 PM »
You seem pretty blase in your statements above. Based on the choice we had in this election,  you are normalizing reality show and crass behavior as acceptable among so many other things. You can choose to accept it, I will not. Did you support him? Do I recall you saying you're in Michigan, are you not?  What did you do to help stop this there, since he won with about 11,000 votes out of 5,000,000?  The three states most repsponsible for his acendency: Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Our new reality. If you don't think it makes much difference...

Gathered from articles across the internet:

Old message: Kindness matters
New message: Kindness is pathetic

Old message: Inclusion, unity, tolerance
New message: Marginalization, hostility, white supremacy

Old message: Succeed through good work, integrity, compromise, legislative wrangling, thoughtful policy, cogent argument, being kind to your fellow man
New message: Succeed through lies, bullying, cheap tricks, more lies, a record number of lies, nearly everything you say is a lie, insults, taunts, rancid tweets

Old belief: Be whatever you want! This is America: Diversity rules. You are safe and your uniqueness is embraced and celebrated
New reality: Not white? Not male? Not straight? Fear for your life

Previous given: A president you are proud to have as a role model for your kids
New given: Shield your kids from anything and everything this president says and does

Old greeting: Handshake
New greeting: Middle finger

Old bond: Warm hug
New bond: Sucker punch

Old message: Fight for the rights of women and children for, advocate for multiple worthy causes, help millions through foundations, charities, nonprofits, champion all manner of progressive ideas and projects for more than 30 years, and you can become president.
New message: Openly mock and demean women, blacks, Islam, immigrants, Jews, integrity, kindness. Scam and con everyone, do not pay your workers, grope females in the crotch and call them fat pigs, and you can become president.

Tangible dream: First woman president
Brutal reality: Authoritarian, illiterate racist white male president

Previous concern: In bed with Wall Street
Current disgust: In bed with Putin

Previous policy: Clean energy, get off oil, more solar, investment in the future
New destruction: More coal, more oil, fewer regulations, a complete implosion of US energy policy

Previous leader: Grace, class, articulation, deeply respectful of the office, humanitarian, globally esteemed, great with kids, adores his family, profound understanding of the nuances of the world, inspiring and generous of spirit
New leader: Graceless, bloviated, vengeful, zero concern for human welfare, globally detested, children scream and squirm away in his presence, family is a cauldron of vipers, no understanding of any issues or global concerns at any depth whatsoever

Previous certainty: This could never happen
Terrifying new enquiry: How the f–k did this happen

Yesterday: World applauds
Today: World recoils

Old America: Recovering powerfully, economically reliable, unemployment down, markets strong, globally respected, adults in charge
New America: Markets uncertain, millions worse off than before, economically unreliable, globally mistrusted, flatulent, failed, greedy billionaire in charge

Previous dream: Obama’s legacy, preserved
New nightmare: Obama’s legacy, destroyed

Previous call letters: HRC
New call letters: KKK

Previous message: Women! Newly empowered in record numbers, surging forth, transforming the nation and the world, determined to put an end to rape culture, pay inequality, et al.
New message: Women! Fat and nasty, slammed backwards 50 years, mocked and tossed aside. Also, 53% of white women voted for a man who detests them, believes them subhuman and will undermine nearly every right they’ve earned in the past 100 years.

This is how America humiliates itself. This is how the once-great, always messy, never predictable American experiment suddenly shudders, collapses in on itself...Trump made a mockery of the electorate, the system and both political parties, not to mention feminism, Obama, America’s role in world affairs and the economy – and now the entire nation will pay a price the ignominy and destructive cruelty of which we cannot yet fathom.  There is no silver lining here. There is no upside. Yes, love will regroup, hope will endure, the fight will continue, the backlash is nigh, the heartbroken will gather in progressive havens like California and various urban centers to heal and hold on tight. New strategies will emerge. We will redouble our efforts, our intentions toward compassion and love. They can never be defeated, only shouted down. The Democratic party will rebuild into… something. We must resist the temptation, as always, to drown in fatalism.

But let it be known: America has hereby forsaken a significant portion of its greatness, grace and stability. In electing Trump, we have humiliated our forefathers, dishonored authentic masculinity, disgraced our women and brought fear and violence to our children. We have invited the demons of authoritarianism and cruelty to the table. The Trump presidency is going to be unconscionable, disgraceful beyond compare and exceedingly difficult to endure. No one will be spared.
One thing is certain: America’s place in the world will never be the same. While we might someday restore a bit of our strength and grace, we will not recover from Trump. Not completely. Not ever. Love will regroup, wounds will heal. But the ascendency of Donald Trump is one of the bleakest, blackest events in American history, and our humiliation has started.

I don't know if this comment is directed at me.  My husband and I did stay in Michigan for a brief period to visit with some relatives of mine that we haven't seen for some time, but we live in NYC and that's where we are at now.  I should probably update my account information. I wasn't aware until just recently that " The Ultimate Brokeback Forum" was given a new website address.  I certainly don't think that Trump's presidency will leave an impressive legacy, I only said that most of the views that Trump holds to are nothing new. Will it be a challenging four to eight years? Certainly, but I don't think that Trump becoming is the "end of the world as we have known it".  Trump is bigoted and his policies should be fought against.  I don't think that he is a Joseph Stalin or an Adolf Hitler type of dictator as some people have compare him to, but yes, his views towards people of color, women, religious minorities, immigrants, LGBT persons and other groups is despicable. 

There are many people in this country who share similar views that may have even more power than he does who are not politicians.  Some countries show even worse treatment towards minority groups.  You can be imprisoned or even be publicly executed for open about, as well as for choosing to embrace and express your sexual orientation and/or your gender identity.  You can loose your civil rights for choosing to leave one religious group to join another religious group. The best that people who disagree with Trump's views can do now is to fight against his political decisions.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:12:33 PM by B.W. »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1618 on: December 15, 2017, 12:56:12 AM »

The Hollywood Foreign Press is celebrating their 75th Anniversary Awards
next January and this week they had a 75th Anniversary Special on NBC
with clips and commentary from over the years.

Since 1943 they have awarded 131 Best Film Awards in their Drama and
Comedy/Musical categories.  The HFPA was asked to rank their list of the
TOP !5 films from the 131 films honored since 1943.

Here is their list:

1.   The Godfather
2.   Lawrence of Arabia
3.   Chinatown
4.   Some Like It Hot
5.   E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
6.   Sunset Blvd.
7.   One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
8.   Schindler's List
9 .  The Graduate
10. On the Waterfront
11. Amadeus
12. Titanic
13. Brokeback Mountain
14. La La Land
15. The Sound of Music

That is an incredible list to be on, in my opinion! I've seen all of them more than once and some many times.

Not all movies were commented on, sometimes just the clips were shown, but Jake Gyllenhaal spoke a
few words about Brokeback Mountain. Here they are the best I can offer...the actual words might be off
here and there.

Jake:

It's an incredible honor that the HFPA included Brokeback Mountain on their list of extraordinary movies.
The funny thing about a movie like that is I don't think we understood the resonance, at the time, that
it would have, what it would become, and that it would be awarded and lauded the way that it was. We
started off with just a group of people coming together, trying to do something honestly and then it
became what it's become today and it's just incredible. And it's incredible to be amongst a group of films
and film makers and actors and actresses that make wonderful cinema. It's an honor.

The film clips they showed were the reunion scene on the steps with Alma seeing the guys kiss, the
"I wish I knew how to quit you" scene and the scene with Ennis finding the shirts in the closet.

At one point in the program in an unrelated area, they cut to Heath and Jake sitting together in the
audience and it felt so real and alive that you can't believe it isn't.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1619 on: December 15, 2017, 12:59:43 AM »

The National Film Registry announced their 25 selections for films to be included this year.
We're going to have to keep nominating BBM every year if we'd like to see it on the list.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-goonies-die-hard-superman-national-film-registry-1513116791-htmlstory.html

_________

But take heart, there's a list of "Number of Films by Release Year on the National Film Registry".
Here's the most recent years.

1995   3
1996   1
1997   4
1998   3
1999   1
2000   2
2002   1
2004   1

As you can see, no film past 2004 has made it on the list yet, and, of the 4 films from 2000 onward, 3 of those are documentaries.
The only entertainment film on the list was added just today, and that's the 2000 film Memento.
So, we just need to keep on putting Brokeback Mountain out there each year and I have no doubt it'll happen someday.