The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Awards Aftermath - Part 2  (Read 220723 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Awards Aftermath - Part 2
« Reply #1620 on: January 17, 2018, 11:40:08 AM »

Ang Lee (‘Brokeback Mountain’) won’t be able to quit you after being voted
top Best Director Oscar winner of the 2000's.

by Kevin Jacobsen

January 14, 2018

Ang Lee has pulled off a stunning victory to become your favorite Best Director winner of the 2000's for his work on “Brokeback Mountain” (2005). Since “Crash” ended up taking Best Picture, that made Lee one of only a few directors who won Best Director without their films winning in the 2000's. Lee overcame huge odds to win our poll, proving that the love for “Brokeback” continues over a decade later.

Link here:

http://www.goldderby.com/article/2018/ang-lee-brokeback-mountain-best-director-oscar-winners-news/

P.S.: I found this information on today's  TDS.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1621 on: January 17, 2018, 11:49:20 AM »
In looking up the above article, I found this one from six months ago that I'd not seen:

LGBT Oscar poll results: Readers pick ‘Brokeback Mountain’ over ‘Moonlight’ as the best film
by Daniel Montgomery
June 26, 2017

Many Americans celebrated LGBT Pride over the weekend, so we asked our readers to weigh the merits of the two films that made arguably the biggest impact at the Oscars for LGBT representation: “Brokeback Mountain” (2005) and “Moonlight” (2016). Both films won three Oscars, and both were involved in shocking Best Picture upsets, though in opposite ways. “Brokeback” was the frontrunner but lost to “Crash,” while “Moonlight” was the underdog but ultimately defeated “La La Land,” becoming the first LGBT film to win the academy’s top honor. But even though “Moonlight” won the top prize, our readers strongly preferred “Brokeback.” As of this writing almost three-quarters of our readers (73%) feel that Ang Lee‘s romantic drama about two Wyoming shepherds who fall in love (Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal) is their favorite.

Link:
http://www.goldderby.com/article/2017/lgbt-oscars-brokeback-moonlight-poll-results-news-579136802/

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #1622 on: January 17, 2018, 11:55:37 AM »
LGBT Oscar poll results: Readers pick ‘Brokeback Mountain’ over ‘Moonlight’ as the best film

I'm not surprised (although I liked Moonlight a lot).

WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

"And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that."

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #1623 on: January 20, 2018, 03:39:46 PM »
The Hollywood Foreign Press is celebrating their 75th Anniversary Awards
next January and this week they had a 75th Anniversary Special on NBC
with clips and commentary from over the years.

Since 1943 they have awarded 131 Best Film Awards in their Drama and
Comedy/Musical categories.  The HFPA was asked to rank their list of the
TOP !5 films from the 131 films honored since 1943.

Here is their list:

1.   The Godfather
2.   Lawrence of Arabia
3.   Chinatown
4.   Some Like It Hot
5.   E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
6.   Sunset Blvd.
7.   One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
8.   Schindler's List
9 .  The Graduate
10. On the Waterfront
11. Amadeus
12. Titanic
13. Brokeback Mountain
14. La La Land
15. The Sound of Music

That is an incredible list to be on, in my opinion! I've seen all of them more than once and some many times.

Not all movies were commented on, sometimes just the clips were shown, but Jake Gyllenhaal spoke a
few words about Brokeback Mountain. Here they are the best I can offer...the actual words might be off
here and there.

Jake:

It's an incredible honor that the HFPA included Brokeback Mountain on their list of extraordinary movies.
The funny thing about a movie like that is I don't think we understood the resonance, at the time, that
it would have, what it would become, and that it would be awarded and lauded the way that it was. We
started off with just a group of people coming together, trying to do something honestly and then it
became what it's become today and it's just incredible. And it's incredible to be amongst a group of films
and film makers and actors and actresses that make wonderful cinema. It's an honor.

The film clips they showed were the reunion scene on the steps with Alma seeing the guys kiss, the
"I wish I knew how to quit you" scene and the scene with Ennis finding the shirts in the closet.

At one point in the program in an unrelated area, they cut to Heath and Jake sitting together in the
audience and it felt so real and alive that you can't believe it isn't.

This is cool.  I am also happy that James Cameron's theatrical film "Titanic" (1997) was also included on this list.  "Brokeback Mountain" (2005) still receiving recognition almost 13 years after the film's theatrical release tells me that it is a movie that is going to be regarded as classic in the future, one that won't be forgotten.  The test of time is , I feel, the best indicator to how much of impact a film has on popular culture and on viewers.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #1624 on: January 20, 2018, 04:19:08 PM »
Ang Lee (‘Brokeback Mountain’) won’t be able to quit you after being voted
top Best Director Oscar winner of the 2000's.

by Kevin Jacobsen

January 14, 2018

Ang Lee has pulled off a stunning victory to become your favorite Best Director winner of the 2000's for his work on “Brokeback Mountain” (2005). Since “Crash” ended up taking Best Picture, that made Lee one of only a few directors who won Best Director without their films winning in the 2000's. Lee overcame huge odds to win our poll, proving that the love for “Brokeback” continues over a decade later.

Link here:

http://www.goldderby.com/article/2018/ang-lee-brokeback-mountain-best-director-oscar-winners-news/

P.S.: I found this information on today's  TDS.

Congratulations to Ang Lee!

Online gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #1625 on: January 21, 2018, 06:34:52 AM »
...  The test of time is , I feel, the best indicator to how much of impact a film has on popular culture and on viewers.

Well said.  I've always thought that "Time" is the final best judge of what impacts us, what resonates, though we may not fully understand it at that moment.   

So many films we see, we can hardly remember them a month later.... but there are some that sink there claws in and won't let go.  Those on the list above are some of those.  V.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #1626 on: January 21, 2018, 09:20:19 AM »
I also forgot to add that I like the fact that "Schindler's List" (1993) was also included on the list.  "The Godfather" (1972) is a given, although that film isn't one of my personal favorites, the pacing is a little too slow for my tastes and I don't think that Marlon Brando's Italian accent is very realistic.  I'm probably one of very few people on the planet that feels that way about "The Godfather".  I wonder why Steven Spielberg's "Jaws" (1975) wasn't included on the list, I kind of thought that that film would be on there?  Remind me again if you need to, but didn't the Hollywood Foreign Press Association bestow honors upon "Jaws" during it's original theatrical release?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 03:09:25 PM by B.W. »

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #1627 on: January 21, 2018, 09:29:25 AM »
Well said.  I've always thought that "Time" is the final best judge of what impacts us, what resonates, though we may not fully understand it at that moment.   

So many films we see, we can hardly remember them a month later.... but there are some that sink there claws in and won't let go.  Those on the list above are some of those.  V.

This is true for me as well.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1628 on: January 21, 2018, 10:41:45 AM »
I'm probably one of very few people on the planet that feels that way about "The Godfather".

I admire the filmmaking, but it isn't one of my personal favorites, either.

I wonder why Steven Spielberg's "Jaws" (1975) wasn't included on the list, I kind of thought that that film would be on there?  Remind me again if you need to, but didn't the Hollywood Foreign Press Association bestow honors upon "Jaws" during it's original theatrical release?

It was nominated, but it didn't win that year.

Best Motion Picture - Drama
Barry Lyndon
Dog Day Afternoon
Jaws
Nashville
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (winner)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1629 on: February 17, 2018, 01:48:18 PM »

Entertainment Weekly's Double Issue dated Feb. 23 / March 2 is out celebrating OSCAR's 90th Anniversary
this year with stories and such from past Oscars. There is a two page article (pages 80 - 81) titled:

THE UPSET OF THE CENTURY: Why Crash Really Beat Brokeback Mountain for Best Picture -- And Why We're Still Not Over It
by Kevin P. Sullivan

The article doesn't really answer it's own question and the fact that Brokeback Mountain had an unprecedented amount of Best Picture
wins and wins for Ang Lee isn't even mentioned.

Still, the article title says it all.
And it's in this 2018 Oscar Anniversary issue.
_______

Sometimes the EW articles will subsequently appear on their website after a brief period closer to the actual publication
date listed, which is several days away, but as of today it isn't on the EW site.