The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: BBM General Discussion 2  (Read 591201 times)

Offline lislis

• Expert
Re: BBM General Discussion 2
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2008, 01:53:31 PM »
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,23663,23131105-5015787,00.html

"Fortunately, because the film deals with magic, there is a way of turning Heath into other people, and then use stills and computer generated imagery (CGI)."

(I wasn't sure where to post this)

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2008, 01:54:49 PM »
Thanks lislis.  I hope they find a way to use the Heath footage, but I feel sorry for the director, who will not be able to make the movie he set out to make.
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2008, 05:23:03 PM »
Here is a link to a new article by Eric Patterson, titled "Elegy for Heath Ledger: His Imperishible Achievement in Bokeback Mountain"

http://rowmanblog.typepad.com/

excerpt

There isn't time for such extensive analytical discussion, though of course it should and will come eventually. It isn't necessary now; all one really needs to do is to watch Brokeback once more and feel his extraordinary performance. Of course, one of the effects of the endless parodies and "jokes" about the film ever since its release has been to prevent appreciation of it, to seek to neutralize its beauty and power by burying it in ridicule. Can one imagine such continuous abuse being directed at a film about any other minority group, at, say, Schindler's List or Do the Right Thing? But for those who aren't poisoned with hatred of men who love men, and who can watch the film with open hearts, it speaks for itself.

This is a great article, take a look.

Eric Patterson is associate professor of American studies and American literature at Hobart and William Smith Colleges. He is the author of an upcoming book On Brokeback Mountain: Meditations about Masculinity, Fear, and Love in the Story and the Film.  TDS is going to review his book soon.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 08:14:39 PM by tellyouwhat »
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline KZ

• Feet Wet
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
Of course, one of the effects of the endless parodies and "jokes" about the film ever since its release has been to prevent appreciation of it, to seek to neutralize its beauty and power by burying it in ridicule. Can one imagine such continuous abuse being directed at a film about any other minority group, at, say, Schindler's List or Do the Right Thing? But for those who aren't poisoned with hatred of men who love men, and who can watch the film with open hearts, it speaks for itself.

Bravo!  It's been my contention for years that "queer ridicule" (or worse...and sometimes much worse) is the only prejudice still sanctioned, even promoted, in all Western cultures.  Sad to say, gays are the one target of scorn around which diverse social elements can still rally with impunity: from the most conservative organized-religion followers to "hip" comedians.

Offline cazzyj

• Missing our absent Whisperer
  • Obsessed
  • The white trash of slash
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2008, 04:19:04 PM »
That article was so wonderful!!  Thanks for posting this!
"If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever" 

Get up, get out, get away from these liars.
Cause they don't get your soul, or your fire.
- Snow Patrol

Offline CANSTANDIT

• Obsessed
  • Special Brokeback Victims Unit
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2008, 08:31:16 PM »
Three weeks to the day....it hardly seems believable, even now....If feels as if an eternity has gone by since last we saw Heath looking rather funky on the set of his last movie. How tempting it would be to just go back there and hang out in one's mind  for as long as one needed to-pre Jan 22, 2008.
Our very own Black Tuesday.

Marc

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2008, 04:34:33 PM »
The "Elegy for HL" article is outstanding.  Eric Patterson really gets it. 

I passed over the laments about unkind comments people made about Heath right after he died, and the stuff about homophobia and society, and concentrated on the large majority of the article which discussed Heath's acting.

The author says that Ennis avoided eye contact w/ Jack until the campfire scene where he talks about himself.  I don't think I ever noticed that. 

I really liked his comment -- and it's not just because the author agreed with me -- that SNIT was one of the most romantic scenes ever filmed.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 04:42:43 PM by Marc »

Offline Dal

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Skim milk masquerades as cream
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2008, 12:22:44 PM »
~ SNIT was one of the most romantic scenes ever filmed.
OH yeah.  It's definitely the most romantic  per second - it's very brief, isn't it!
Mommy, can I be on the kill list when I gwow up?
Of course honey, any American can -- thanks to President Obama!!

Offline Nax

• The Captain Underpants Enigma
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
  • A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
    • naxfun.com
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2008, 12:36:16 PM »
OH yeah.  It's definitely the most romantic  per second - it's very brief, isn't it!

Long enough to reflect on ;)

Offline Dal

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Skim milk masquerades as cream
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2008, 01:50:21 PM »
Long enough to gasp and then hold your breath!  I had not seen anything like it before.  It is still remarkable to me, even as I watch it now.
Mommy, can I be on the kill list when I gwow up?
Of course honey, any American can -- thanks to President Obama!!

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2008, 03:20:54 PM »
Wow! I was just at the grocery store and out of the corner of my eye caught sight of this week's TV Guide with the Jake Gyllenhaal cover.
I about broke my neck trying to get to the stand to pick up a copy... and when I took a closer look, it was George Clooney. The resemblance was uncanny. If Jake continues to mature along those lines, he'll be gorgeous until he's 110!
In 2010, 606 people (all ages) were accidentally killed by guns.
Almost 3000 teens (15-19) die in traffic accidents a year.
1100 kids under 19 drown each year.
44 kids under 5 died of heat stroke in hot cars in 2013.
HIGH school sports account for 1.2 million trips to the ER annually.

Offline Jack_Nasty

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2008, 05:22:39 PM »

Long enough to reflect on ;)

"NEVER ENOUGH TIME, NEVER ENOUGH"

(love the quotes from the film).

Marc

« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2008, 08:53:57 AM »
I've said it before but this is a good place to say it again.  In FNIT and SNIT, I always see myself as Jack, except for when Ennis strokes Jack's chest.  Only then do I feel like Ennis.

SNIT grabs me and pulls me in like nothing else.  I'm kissing Ennis the best I know how.

Don't I wish.

Offline dlc

• Experienced
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2008, 03:32:46 AM »

Not sure if this has been posted or if this is even the best place to post it but ran across an interesting article this morning. 

Heath on Ennis:  http://www.ebar.com/arts/art_article.php?sec=film&article=465

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2008, 08:19:23 AM »
That is a great link dlc, dated today.  thanks