The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: BBM General Discussion 2  (Read 316760 times)

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
Re: BBM General Discussion 2
« Reply #2505 on: January 25, 2018, 10:37:56 PM »

Most of the religious groups that I was previously involved with had a very negative view of LGBT issues, that much I knew, but such subjects weren't really talked about all that much..

I don't think I explained that well. It's  clear what the catholic church thinks on homosexuality, it's a clear way to hell, at least back then. Now they say it could be okay to be gay as long as you stay celibate. This new pope seems to be I bit more understanding of the matters of the world as his predecessors, but it remains a mortal sin. All non procreation sex is a sin, even masturbation.
The reason I don't remember it being an issue at school is because it just did not exist. They didn't want us innocent children to even know there was something like that.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #2506 on: January 27, 2018, 04:48:42 AM »
Since 1943 they have awarded 131 Best Film Awards in their Drama and
Comedy/Musical categories.  The HFPA was asked to rank their list of the
TOP !5 films from the 131 films honored since 1943.

[...]

That is an incredible list to be on, in my opinion!

[...]

At one point in the program in an unrelated area, they cut to Heath and Jake sitting together in the audience and it felt so real and alive that you can't believe it isn't.

I hadn't seen your post(s) until just now, Lyle. Thanks for posting this!  :-*
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2507 on: January 27, 2018, 01:11:29 PM »

You're very welcome!

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2508 on: January 28, 2018, 11:01:35 PM »
I don't think I explained that well. It's  clear what the catholic church thinks on homosexuality, it's a clear way to hell, at least back then. Now they say it could be okay to be gay as long as you stay celibate. This new pope seems to be I bit more understanding of the matters of the world as his predecessors, but it remains a mortal sin. All non procreation sex is a sin, even masturbation.
The reason I don't remember it being an issue at school is because it just did not exist. They didn't want us innocent children to even know there was something like that.

I don't think that Pope Francis is any more "understanding" than any of the other Popes.  I still think that idea of it being okay to be gay "as long as you remain celibate for the rest of your natural life" is a damaging idea.  The idea that homosexuality is a "mortal sin", I believe this also is a very damaging belief.  I feel sorry for any LGBT teenager who is currently involved with the Roman Catholic Church.  As for transphobia, on YouTube, I recently came across this sexually explicit song by a country singer who sings of how he love performing oral sex on women and beating men up.  He meets a woman while walking on Broadway, takes her home, discovers that she has a penis, he performs oral sex on this transgender woman since she paid him and then he beats the transgender woman up.  He also refers to the transgender woman as a "he" and thinks that it is "wrong" that the woman has a penis.  At the end of the song, the back-up singer states that they don't want their name on the song and then the country singer says, "Where did everybody go?"  Even though it is just a song, is still seems to highlight that taking sexual advantage of abusing transgender women is "okay".  I don't believe that that sort of behavior is "okay".

I'm every bit opposed to transphobia, just like I am biphobia or homophobia. Referring to a transgender person by an identity that they don't consider themselves as being, that just doesn't seem right to me.  When cisgender people do that to transgender men and women, they seem to be trying to decide what other people's identities should be for them.  I am against that.  People should be allowed to decide what gender traits that they identify with.  I consider transgender male and female identities to be just as real and as valid as those of a cisgendered person.  The same goes for intersex people.  I know that it Columbus, Ohio in July of 2017, just a few months ago there was some sort of ban involving transgender people, when this kind of discrimination and prejudice occurs, serious consequences are always the result.  Look at all the transgender persons of color who have been murdered in the U.S. over the past few years.  The same thing happens to young black boys and men.  Society often has portrayed and in many ways still portrays black men as "more likely" to be violent and more inclined to be criminals. Over the past few years in the U.S., policemen have been getting away with shooting African-American men and teenage boys to death by misusing their power of authority to justify their racist attitudes.

As for myself, I strongly believe in questioning the demands of any authority. A lawmaker is not worthy of respect or allegiance in my eyes if they don't believe in protecting and serving all citizens.  I would treat the lawmaker decently if I came across them in person which is what I think my moral code would compel me to do, but I would never be able to respect them.   As a lawmaker who doesn't protect or serve the best interests of black people or transgender people, along with many other groups is not someone that I can show any kind of support to, that is just how I feel.  I respect the right for that country singer to release a song like that, but I feel that the way the song portrays having sex with, then physically assaulting a transgender woman as kind of "not being a big deal", that needed a little criticism from me.  If someone in real life did that, I would wonder if they were struggling with feel a sexual attraction to a transgender person that they didn't want to acknowledge to themselves. Either that or they really are transphobic, maybe they themselves could even be a self-hating, closeted transgender person.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 11:14:33 PM by B.W. »

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2509 on: January 29, 2018, 12:50:24 AM »
And I agree with every point you make here.
I don't defend the catholic church at all, I'm just telling my story growing up in it. It made my life difficult and I have no fond memories of my school, but I didn't went through the hell some friends of mine did. Maybe because my parents were never religious, so they kind of fought at home the predujices they taught us at school, I was lucky. And I am happy to see my once so catholic country, Spain, distancing itself more and more from the church. I was even actually proud of ot when it became one of the first countries in the world were gay marriage was approved, including adoption rights.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #2510 on: February 13, 2018, 02:41:26 PM »
"After the dozen red roses, candle-lit dinner, and box of fancy chocolates, what could be better than to plop down on the sofa and watch a romantic movie with someone you love—even if that person is just you.  Since cameras first caught The Kiss in 1896, we have swooned and sighed to people falling in love on the big screen. And while love is universal, every love story is different—and beautiful—in its own way.

For Valentine’s Day, we have assembled a heart-shaped sampler of love stories for your enjoyment. From passionate adaptations of classic novels to a poignant dramatization of a real-life couple, these movies demonstrate why the heart is our strongest muscle. Enjoy one or savor the many-splendored pleasure of all of them."

http://focusfeatures.com/article/holiday_valentines-day_romantic-movies

:-*

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2511 on: February 14, 2018, 11:42:31 AM »

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2512 on: February 14, 2018, 12:09:57 PM »
 :D  :D  :D

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #2513 on: February 14, 2018, 01:03:19 PM »
 :laugh:

Offline lislis

• Expert
« Reply #2514 on: February 23, 2018, 01:24:46 PM »
http://ew.com/tv/2018/02/21/netflix-lost-in-space-2

Additional link:
http://subscription-assets.timeinc.com/current/2332_top1_205_thumb.jpg

^^^
I was looking for other info and found an image of the cover of EW:
Titanic - Sound of Music - Brokeback Mountain - E.T.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 12:29:44 AM by lislis »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2515 on: February 24, 2018, 08:23:56 AM »
^^^

I don't see the cover you're talking about at the link.  ?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2516 on: March 07, 2018, 11:35:14 AM »

Did anyone else ever hear that HEATH LEDGER had been cast in the film CRASH?

See my post: HERE!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2517 on: March 27, 2018, 09:47:34 AM »
I also posted this in Gay Cinema:

An interesting LOVE, SIMON sidebar I read in EW:

Love, Simon
NICK ROBINSON'S JACKET
Love, SImon costume designer Eric Daman says he wanted
to give Simon "a soft grunge vibe that echoed his love of music."
After trying several vintage '70's jackets--rejected because they
felt too hipstery--Daman found a winner from TopMan. "The jacket
shows he has style in a subtle, nuanced way," says the designer,
who adds that the cowboy-influenced style is a nod to Brokeback
Mountain
. Though the original jacket is no longer available, the
brand has produced a similar version.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2518 on: March 27, 2018, 09:52:38 AM »
I had a similar jacket in high school! Ohhh, I wonder if my mother still keeps it somewhere...

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2519 on: April 11, 2018, 02:35:58 AM »
Two days ago Sara kindly sent me this video, it is the reading of Jari's words about the impact Brokeback Mountain had on him and what it means to him. It’s really moving, if you don't know it watch it, please, otherwise what I write would make even less sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfyMsGz6WLU&feature=youtu.be

The reason she thought I would be interested is because I am HIV positive, been for a while, since 1992 or 1993. Now, living with something like that often filters the way you understand what you read, what you listened to and what you watch, but Jari's words made my head spin, because I never thought of it in that way. I thought of the people who died, their loved ones, the incredible individuals whose talent went lost, but I never thought of it as a collective loss of narrative, a gap in time that shallowed all those people's stories. That really blew my mind off.

Please keep in mind that this is really subjective. Ever from the first time I watched BBM the first thing that came to my mind would happen if Jack had survived was "he would have died of AIDS, at least he didn't have to go through it”. Because let’s be honest, driving to Mexico probably didn't imply safe sex. And listening to Jari I realised that Jack's is also one of those lost stories, doesn't matter how he died, he is also a gap in the narrative timeline, one of thousands of stories erased by prejudice, hate, ignorance, fear. Until Annie Proulx rescued his story. And now I can't avoid seeing Jack in my mind as a representative of all those who died in the 80s and 90s, and are still dying today. Sara pointed to me that Annie Proulx would have made it obvious if she intended to give it that meaning, but as I said, this is a very very subjective view, I am aware that my mind plays in really strange ways sometimes. Anyway, Jack has known gained a new significance for me, he is more alive than ever before in my mind and in my heart.

This loss of narrative brought me too to the video of this song I love and now really see as filling in some of the gaps in the narrative. The author is gay and openly HIV-positive, some of you maybe know his songs from the movie “Weekend”. There is even a glimpse of our boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3BzvWPYo94

Sara encouraged me to write about this, but I am terrified of not being able to articulate it properly, I hope I somehow managed to make myself understandable. Now I only hope someone points me to the right thread for my ramblings. and that someone is interested enough to read it, and if you find it’s utter nonsense, don’t be too cruel to me, please.