The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Musical Score  (Read 411503 times)

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
Re: The Musical Score
« Reply #1095 on: July 06, 2013, 12:51:23 AM »
The musical score and soundtrack to Brokeback Mountain are both excellent.  I remember reading all the reviews on Amazon.  Many of anti-sexual homophobes who disliked the film because of the love story between two men that are ( gasp) in a romantically AND sexually active relationship with one another. Which shocks the hell out of those who hate on the film because of its content. As if two men humping is anything new.   It's mostly political, social, educational or religious conservatives that complained about the film.   Religious fundamentalists especially spewed their rhetoric about the film.  Most of them never watched it.  Their irrational hatred of gay sexual activities that they wrongly call a 'sin', 'unnatural', 'lust' or an 'abomination' based on their religious texts which are simply man-made inventions that have some very wrong views on same-gendered romantic and sexually active relationships is just astounding to me as a newly converted atheist.  I have been an atheist for a few years now.  I am a former member of quite a few religions.  I am a heterosexual woman by the way and an LGBT ally.  All the songs were wood.  I liked that Wille Nelson, Linda Ronstadt and Rufus Wrainwright were featured on it.  I love Linda Ronstadt's rendition of " Somewhere Out There" from the " American Tail" film franchise. Teddy Thompson has a sexy singing voice.  I am not a big fan of country music but I do like the BBM score and soundtrack. Very ironic isn't it?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:07:41 AM by B.W. »

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #1096 on: July 06, 2013, 07:01:28 PM »
The soundtrack is fabulous and I'm not really into country music but the songs worked.  It was one of the best film soundtracks that I have heard since " Titanic",  I love the two soundtracks to " Titanic" as well.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #1097 on: July 07, 2013, 03:18:20 AM »
" A Love that Never Grows Old" is a sweet song.  Emmy Lou Harris did a good job with that.  I don't even like country music that much,  It's a perfect song.  I think the film inspired another CD, am I right?

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #1098 on: March 20, 2014, 02:25:29 AM »
Seeing we're back in Elements and Themes (yay!), when I was looking for something to listen to  in my car yesterday I came across the cd I made years ago from the score, of just Santaolalla's guitar pieces, and played it. My God, the emotional punch was still there - I found myself taking one of those shaky breaths...

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #1099 on: March 20, 2014, 03:00:01 AM »
I can well understand that Sara. So powerfully evocative. :)
the shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #1100 on: March 20, 2014, 07:50:52 AM »
The BBM score is regularly played as "background music" for a new TV series over here in The Netherlands - a documentary series. I noticed it just recently  :) They always use 'Opening' and 'The Wings'.

Every time I hear it, I don't know whether to laugh or cry  :-\
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #1101 on: March 20, 2014, 11:51:12 AM »
It would be interesting to know whether any separate parts of the soundtrack has ever been played on the airwaves around the world and in what context. I often think of suggesting it on my own favourite radio station although it's a predominantly classical station.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1102 on: March 22, 2014, 03:39:51 PM »
I wouldn't listen to the right stations here in America to hear it.   If I were you Andy, I would send your station an email, and ask if they feel it would fit their format.  You never know, it may get added.

Offline One'senough

• Expert
  • Gyllenhaalic
« Reply #1103 on: November 07, 2014, 01:27:23 PM »
I read through most of this thread with great interest, because music is such an integral part of my life. Listening, playing, singing....it has had a profound effect on my soul for as long as I can remember. In my teens and early 20s I played piano and flute pretty well and so am familiar with chord structure, patterns and progressions. "Wings" has become my alarm clock setting and my ring tone because it's so superbly, simplistically beautiful. 

I'm still stunned at how Santaolalla has managed to do this for the BBM score. There aren't but a few chords and patterns throughout the soundtrack, yet he manages to weave them together perfectly to tell Lee/Proulx's story. It's just incredible.

One thing I have found particularly terrific is how the lyrics of the non-orchestral music (i.e., all the songs not by GS) match whatever is going on in the movie. The one that stands out most for me is the scene where Ennis and Cassie are dancing at the bar to the Allman Brothers' "Melissa"....the lyrics playing are, "Knowing many loving none...bearing sorrow, having fun." If that is not an outright snapshot of Ennis Del Mar at that point in time, I don't know what is.

I also love love love Emmylou's "A Love That Will Never Grow Old". Those lyrics "the smile in your eyes, it can light up the night....and your laughter's like wind in my sails" juxtaposed with the image of the tears rolling down Jack's face, it's like a sucker punch. (I'm generally a softie when it comes to seeing men cry anyway but that's another topic I suppose.)

One thing I'm curious about is the translation of the lyrics of "Quizas". I speak Spanish (having a Mexican husband and living/working in the Hispanic community for close to 15 years helps with that!) and the translation posted here is not how I would've translated it. The only reason I ask is that sometimes the formally translated lyrics are translated so they rhyme in one language as well as the other. The essential meaning is more or less the same, but the literal no-rhyme translation packs a more powerful punch - at least for me, anyway.

Here's how I'd have translated the lyrics:

Siempre que te pregunto
que cuando,como y donde
tu siempre me respondes

Whenever I ask you
When, how, and where
You always answer

Quizas, quizas, quizas
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps

Y asi pasan los dias
y yo desesperado,y Tu,Tu contestando

And so our days pass
Me growing impatient, and
You, you answering

Quizas,Quizas,Quizas,

Estas perdiendo el tiempo,pensando,pensando
Por lo que Tu mas quieras
hasta cuando, hasta cuando
Y asi pasan los dias, y yo desesperado
y Tu,Tu contestando

You are wasting your time thinking, thinking
About what you want the most
Until when? Until when?
And so our days pass
And I'm growing impatient, and
You, you answer

Quizas, Quizas, Quizas.
Ennis put his arm around Jack, pulled him close....
"You know, it could be like this....just like this, always."

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #1104 on: November 07, 2014, 04:49:59 PM »
Nice one Elvish.  :)

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #1105 on: November 08, 2014, 06:20:18 AM »
I think that the soundtrack and film score to "Brokeback Mountain" are certainly reflective of the themes in the film such as finding love unexpectedly and in the most unexpected of places or mourning the loss of one's lover.  Some people would probably say the love songs in the film are, "nothing but crybaby music". " A Love That Will Never Grow Old" always touches me and I am not really a country music fan.  I don't really know of very many biracial persons or any black persons that really like country music.  Most of the rap music today is awful.  I prefer older rap music. Anyways, I think that the soundtrack and film score to a film can largely be beneficial in helping the director to tell the story in an even more effective manner.  I certainly think that was the case with "Brokeback Mountain".

Offline George Jones

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #1106 on: January 22, 2016, 10:27:26 AM »
Just like everyone else here, I am a massive fan of the Gustavo Santaolalla tracks of Brokeback Mountain. All of his songs perfectly represent the love and sadness of the film through the power of music.

The reason I am posting is to share the beautiful track played during the "Second night in the tent" scene. I absolutely love this song but it is very hard to find. This is the song: https://youtu.be/5Ad9NPL8tek

The main theme that plays during the tent scene starts at 2:24 of the video. I hope you enjoy!
Around that time Jack began to appear in his dreams, Jack as he had first seen him, curly-headed and smiling and bucktoothed...And he would wake sometimes in grief, sometimes with the old sense of joy and release; the pillow sometimes wet, sometimes the sheets.

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #1107 on: January 22, 2016, 01:56:14 PM »
Thanks so much for that, George! I had a copy of the music from way back when the full soundtrack (or close to it) was briefly available online, but recently, when I tried to play this particular track, I found it had been corrupted and just kept cutting off even though the whole thing was still there. Now I can listen to it again. It's one of my favourite pieces.

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #1108 on: January 22, 2016, 04:22:45 PM »
I have the full soundtrack on the hard drive of my computer so if anyone wants a copy... :)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #1109 on: January 23, 2016, 01:03:51 AM »
Thank you, George. So evocative.