The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Gay and Christian in the World of Today II  (Read 498485 times)

Offline thebriguy

• Obsessed
  • Catholic Joker... hee hee
    • Breathing Space
Gay and Christian in the World of Today II
« on: May 18, 2008, 09:27:22 AM »
Consternation with God's actions and the tragedies of the world (Godself understood as being our responsible Creator) are often taken to the point of anger, frustration and exasperation, and outright hopelessness and despair.  Reflecting, it seems like the common text to Christian, the Bible, has many cases of all of the above, the last being the cry of dereliction from from the cross by Jesus.

But putting the name of each member of the Trinity in quotation marks or derisive parenthses  is a mockery of God, or a denial, but again all that stuff isalready  in the Bible too.  There is nothing new under the sun.  And I believe God can handle our need to pour out ourselves when it seems that the awfukness is too much.
"Jack, I swear--" he said, though Jack had never asked him to swear anything and was himself not the swearing kind.

Offline cruel2Bkind

• Expert
Gay and Christian in the World of Today II
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 11:42:47 AM »
and what is a "J Dub?"
"J Dub"="J W" a.k.a. Jehovah's Witness.

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
Re: Gay and Christian in the World of Today II
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 10:18:23 PM »
Sorry but just saying Hi (from Riga, Latvia) to make sure this new page comes up on my list. I am reading everything when possible but commenting little as using wifi in hotel rooms is not always easy. Am sailing overnight to Stockholm where I am to meet Marlene (Tammy) next Friday and have dinner with other local brokies. then next Saturday night I sail for Helsinki to meet and stay with Jari.
God's blessings on you all

Offline desertrat

• Sunflower
  • Obsessed
  • No angel ;-)
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 04:11:14 AM »
i'm also just making one of those "let this thread be on my posts new-posts-list" posts  :D

but i'll take the chance to wish you all a wonderful day and a good start into the new week.
i certainly have a good start, i'm in the process of wrapping up work here to start my new job - which seems like a dream so far.  ;)

therefore.....MUCH SUN for all of you this week...

Minds are like parachutes... they both work better when opened.

Offline jnov

• Obsessed
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 05:06:53 AM »
that is a beautiful sun.

it is night for me so have a good day while i wind down my day, and good luck in that dream job!

:)

Offline DaveinPhilly

• Sending up a prayer of thanks
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 07:47:27 AM »
I am no biblical scholar, but yesterday's lesson from Genesis - the first creation story has God speaking both in the singular and the plural. "Let us make man in our own image" which many assume is the "royal we", yet the story goes on to speak form the first person singular - a curious instance that suggests the Trinity in the beginning.
It could be like this, just like this, always...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 08:30:43 AM »
I am no biblical scholar, but yesterday's lesson from Genesis - the first creation story has God speaking both in the singular and the plural. "Let us make man in our own image" which many assume is the "royal we", yet the story goes on to speak form the first person singular - a curious instance that suggests the Trinity in the beginning.

Trinity Sunday. That has such a good old-fashioned Protestant ring to it.  :D  When I was growing up, that was a Communion Sunday (because Confirmation was the week before, on Pentecost, and we don't want that 11:00 service to run too long past dinnertime  :D ).

I miss counting the Sundays "after Trinity."  :(

Offline DaveinPhilly

• Obsessed
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 08:37:19 AM »

Trinity Sunday. That has such a good old-fashioned Protestant ring to it.  :D 

Hmmm... I wonder what the pope who established the feast would think of that comment?! ;)  I miss numbering the Sundays after Trinity too, but we're in a brave new world now!!

Offline Sandy

• Obsessed
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 08:58:10 AM »
Dave,

I don't know Hebrew, but I do have a strong grounding in general linguistics. In the number systems pf natural languages throughout the world (and not in mathematics), it is plural number, not singular, that is the unmarked or default value. The use of a plural at the beginning would suggest that God is the common ground for everything.

It may be different in the Septuagint (my copy of which is at home) because Genesis begins with God being modified by a singular, definite article, ev arche epoiusa ho theos tov ouraniov kai ten gen (apologies to our strict Hellenists for the lack of diacritics). That would slant the remainder of references to God toward the singular.

Offline DaveinPhilly

• Obsessed
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »
Interesting. I wonder if there's really that distinction in the Hebrew version?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 09:48:41 AM »
Interesting. I wonder if there's really that distinction in the Hebrew version?

Indeed. I wonder how much "slanting," not to say bad translation, there is in the Septuagint in general. One is immediately reminded of the difference between a virgin and a young woman in Isaiah.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 10:26:50 AM »
I miss numbering the Sundays after Trinity too, but we're in a brave new world now!!

And I miss the pre-Lenten season, too. The old Lutheran hymnal had a whole section of hymns just for the period "Septuagesima to Lent." And I miss when (for Lutherans, anyway), every Sunday from Septuagesima to Pentecost (except Easter) had a Latin name!  ;D

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 10:59:18 AM »
Here is a stroy. The thing is what if it was a Muslim deface the Bible would we ingnore it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/18/us-removes-soldier-from-i_n_102341.html

Offline DaveinPhilly

• Obsessed
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 01:27:30 PM »
I miss numbering the Sundays after Trinity too, but we're in a brave new world now!!

And I miss the pre-Lenten season, too. The old Lutheran hymnal had a whole section of hymns just for the period "Septuagesima to Lent." And I miss when (for Lutherans, anyway), every Sunday from Septuagesima to Pentecost (except Easter) had a Latin name!  ;D

Maybe you really belong at St Clement's!! ;) ;) ;)

Petrus Christus

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 04:38:01 PM »

But putting the name of each member of the Trinity in quotation marks or derisive parentheses  is a mockery of God, or a denial, but again all that stuff is already  in the Bible too.  There is nothing new under the sun.  And I believe God can handle our need to pour out ourselves when it seems that the awfukness is too much.

Brian,

When your wrote 'aw-fuk-ness' you did mean awfulness, didn't you..... ;=

Thanks, BTW, for your response to my question regarding your statement in one of your last posts in the now archived last 500 pages, wherein you'd mentioned your 10 year old nephew.
  In your response to me you stated that you'd 'read every word' of my response.
There were other issues in your post that I'd brought up, that you did not address in your response to me, that I would have enjoyed reading, but, for whatever reason, you chose not to respond to them....., and that's just gotta be OK....!!

Regarding the first boldened sentence in your quote, that I know was addressed to me, though obliquely so, in response to a post I'd put up for Rance, I have the following to say:

"God - The Lord", "The Holy Spirit" and "Jesus" called "The Christ", are not, and have never been the actual 'names' of each member of theTriune Deity.

First, the Hebrew word for God consists of four letters pronounced yod, he, vov, and he,
that is transliterated consonantly, usually as YHVH, and that is pronounced at present as Adonai or Elohim, in substitution of the original, now forbidden pronunciation!, so to say, or write the words "God, and "the Lord", is by no stretch of the imagination to 'name' it/him....!

Second, We first hear about The Holy Spirit, or Holy Ghost, in Matthew 3:16 where immediately upon the one we call "Jesus" was baptised, ".....he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him".
  Certainly, Matthew (Levi) himself could not have been an eyewitness to this event, for he doesn't appear in that Gospel until we read of his calling in Chapter 9:9.....!
   Who is the 'he' that sees and then identifies the 'dove' with 'the Spirit of God'....??
Furthermore, it wasn't until the Council of Constantinople in 381 A.C.E., that the definition of the Holy Spirit as a divine 'person' equal in substance to 'the Father' and 'the Son', was proclaimed and officially installed a place in the divine triplicity.
  Does speaking or writing the phrase 'the Holy Spirit', so utterly, nebulously non-descript in and of itself..!,truly represent the real name of this entity...? I say not!

Third, Y'shua is the real name of the one we call 'the Christos', 'the annointed one'
Y'shua is the Hebrew version of the name Joshua.
  We would be closer to the truth if when refering to the carpenter from Nazareth, we would call him Joshua Christ..! 

To attempt to inhibit anyone engaged in writings that appear in a public forum from using gramatical signs and symbols in connection with names or phrases, and associating their employment with a 'mockery of God' and/or 'a denial' (of God) is ludicrous!

peace out dude!

Zad

« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 08:31:05 PM by Petrus Christus »