The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Gay and Christian in the World of Today II  (Read 306609 times)

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
Re: Gay and Christian in the World of Today II
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2008, 02:06:40 PM »
Rance, thanks..YES, I heard that.....was just getting ready to post this link

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20080522/D90QSEK00.html

for it talks about what you just posted.  I think you're right bud, they are going to throw the f-ing book at the state of Texas on this on.

Life is worth living fully. Live each moment like you are going to die tomorrow.

Offline Osprey

• Obsessed
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2008, 04:12:55 PM »
huntinbuddy,

Yes and those bastards have it coming.  My heart has just bled for those poor people.  They are religious piss wits but again, they are human and they have as much right to believe in multiple mothers in law as we have to believe that true love is possible only with a member of our own sex.  We, like them have known the sting of bigotry and discrimination.  I hope they smite Texas hip and thigh. 

I think that judge Walther can count the rest of her carreer in days or at most weeks.  There is nothing more horrible for a judge than to have the Appelate Court overturn one of your decisions and this one is one of the biggest in the history of this country.  She is history, and bad history at that.

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2008, 04:19:35 PM »
I think that judge Walther can count the rest of her carreer in days or at most weeks.  There is nothing more horrible for a judge than to have the Appelate Court overturn one of your decisions and this one is one of the biggest in the history of this country.  She is history, and bad history at that.

I'm sure she will turn up somewhere as just another slimy lawyer.
Life is worth living fully. Live each moment like you are going to die tomorrow.

Offline Osprey

• Obsessed
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2008, 04:53:27 PM »
Once a hooker always a hooker.  You know what you have when you have a hundred lawyers up their necks in sand?........................................................You don't have enough sand.  ;D

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2008, 04:56:34 PM »
I usually don't watch the nightly news, but did tonight as I have family out in Windor, Colorado; and of course if took tremendous damage today from a huge tornado today.

But the second story by Brain Williams tonight was on the topic we are discussing.  Here is a link that will take you to the video clip on tonights newscast

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#24777118

Be sure to watch the Pete Williams comments.  The ball is just starting to roll on this debacle.  It will be big headlines throughout the summer, and I think you're right....it will go all the way to the US Supreme Court.

Offline SilverLake

• Expert
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2008, 10:37:55 PM »
I'm sorry but I have to pass on this picture of Happy Jesus:

http://revjph.blogspot.com/2008/05/dont-blame-me-blame-some-other-nutter.html
 :o :o :o

Oh Lord, we Episcopalians-Anglicans have such dirty minds.  When I saw this yesterday, I thought it was one of the most hilarious things I'd ever seen and passed it on to a variety of folks in my parish.  One of the guys who grew up RC told me that his parochial school had these switch plates in every room in the school and he'd never thought anything untoward about them until I sent it to him.

Offline SilverLake

• Expert
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2008, 10:48:30 PM »
The largest parish -- by far -- in the Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles will start to "treat all couples presenting themselves for the rite of marriage equally" on June 16th, the date that the decision of the California Supreme Court finding the bar to same-sex marriage unconstitutional becomes final -- http://inchatatime.blogspot.com/2008/05/marriage-for-all-at-all-saints-church.html

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2008, 02:25:21 AM »

Offline jnov

• Obsessed
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2008, 02:47:08 AM »
Breaking news report:

Has Ban Ki-Moon worked a miracle?

http://news.theage.com.au/world/myanmar-agrees-to-allow-all-aid-workers-un-chief-20080523-2hjj.html

now that is a real coup for Ban Ki-Moon. 

as for texas, osprey, you've gotta feel good about this.  it will be interesting to see what happens next.

and finally, re: the election, i sure hope you are right osprey.  i'm holding my breath.

Offline Osprey

• Obsessed
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2008, 07:30:15 AM »
Silverlake,

Well, it is nice to see that I am not the only one around here who has a slightly warped sense of humor. ;D  I am sure the Lord has a sense of humor, I mean just take a look at the things the human race does to each other, Christ has to be able to take a joke.  Giving him a periodic erection can't be all bad, it fits right in with the Mo Mo view of things.

As for Ban Ki-Moon, it can't hurt to be hopeful but the bottom line remains that the Burmese Junta's political survival is far more important to them than the welfare of its people.  I fear it might well be another temporary sop in an attempt to semi appease the weak kneed world.
They have long ago figured out that when it comes down to the nut cutting, no one really gives a shit. 

jnov,

Yes, I was rapidly coming to the point where I feared there wasn't an intelligent person left in the entire state of Texas.  It was very refreshing to see a group of judges come down on the side of the Constitution and the rights of these people.  I pray that the day comes that we all realize that when even the least of those around us are discriminated against, we are all diminished and that apathy toward these freedoms is the first step toward losing them.  When our ignorance is more powerful than our sense of right and wrong, we have, at that moment, lost the right to bear that sacred responsibility. 

Had I been judge Walther, I would have gone on line and I would have done some serious studying relating to these people and their history, culture and the place polygamy plays in their lives.  She could have done it in a few hours but no, she choose to be sucked in by the emotions of the moment and didn't even know the staggering difference between FLDS and LDS and showed her ignorance constantly.  Well, it has come back and bit her on the ass.  Her career is over as a respected jurist.  She is finished.  She is going to go down in history as the jurist who, through her ignorance, led to the legalization of polygamy under the First Amendment in the United States.  It is a sleeping dog that should have been left alone.  It now shows the deep wisdom of the States of Utah and Arizona in the way they have handled this issue.

Her ignorance is going to cost the state of Texas hundreds of millions of dollars, if not Billions.  Her signature was on the initial search warrant and she agreed to the parameters under which it was served, in direct violation of the most basic civil rights we should all hold sacred.

You are right huntinbuddy, it will go all the way to the Supreme Court of the United States and polygamy is going to become a First Amendment issue, which is not a good thing.   

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2008, 10:06:05 AM »
Boy he changed his tunes fast, McBush 2. Hagee what a nut ball. Why do people like believe in this guy is beyond me. And believe in the Rapture crap, what a scam.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/22/mccain-rejects-hagee-endo_n_103143.html

Another example of the hatred that is McBush 2. Boy, the Right looks and sounds like Fascist Muslims more each day. This plays into the Terrorist's hand. Don't these people see that. Hated brings out more hatred. Both of these foundamentals on either side, Christanity and Muslims, are in fact destroying the true message of each faith. What idiots we have fallen into their hands time after time. I'm ranting again sorry.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/22/rod-parsley-mccains-other_n_103178.html
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:13:15 AM by brokebacktom »

Offline jnov

• Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2008, 11:07:16 AM »
Hated brings out more hatred.

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!

a minister at an episcopal church i was going to at the time said in one of her sermons one day, "He [Jesus] receives His power from loving the unloved and His authority from speaking the truth."  i liked it so much i went home that day and wrote it down.

and while i was looking in my "writing down" book i came across this, which a good friend emailed to me while we were discussing something.  and osprey, it made me think of you.

No, there is nothing that is enough.  That is one of the greatest tragedy's of being human, and the greatest wonders.  Sometimes there are things that are just beyond our abilities.  They are beyond our abilities to control, to fix, to prevent, to make better, or sometimes even to deal with.  We are not enough in ourselves.  I hate to know that we are sometimes so powerless.  I love to know that even when we are so powerless, we don't care, and we fight ferociously, and scream out at the injustice that we can't stop, fix, or solve.  Our hearts tear at the knowledge of all the suffering, and tragedy, even though there was nothing that could be done to stop it.  But I love the fact that it still hurts.  I love that about people, and about the world.  Embrace your sadness.  It is something that makes you special, and wonderful, and very, very human.

don't i have a great friend!   :)

Offline Osprey

• Obsessed
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2008, 11:27:31 AM »
bbtom,

You are right, they are a bunch of whack jobs, and they will be voted as such in November, just watch and see. Pitiful.

jnov,

What a beautiful post dear friend,  maybe I scream to loud sometimes but I stand on my beliefs and I treasure an ability to separate and examine the evidence and put it in some kind of perspective, but you are right, it is never enough. Never. I am printing off your post and saving it, for always.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2008, 09:05:23 PM »

As for Ban Ki-Moon, it can't hurt to be hopeful but the bottom line remains that the Burmese Junta's political survival is far more important to them than the welfare of its people.  I fear it might well be another temporary sop in an attempt to semi appease the weak kneed world.
They have long ago figured out that when it comes down to the nut cutting, no one really gives a shit. 

That is what I had in mind too, especially as Ban Ki-Moon's comments as quoted in the news report seemed rather guarded.

Speaking of the weak-kneed world and the cynical manipulation of the UN by its member governments, the Sudanese refugee community in Melbourne, Australia are planning a demonstration on Tuesday to protest against the UN's lack of action to stop the killing in Abyei. The UN evacuated its civilian staff, but is ccused of doing nothing to protect the local people.

And who is financing and arming the Sudanese government? China.

Offline quithammerin

• Expert
  • We'll lick this damn ranch into shape
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2008, 10:33:33 PM »
No, there is nothing that is enough.  That is one of the greatest tragedy's of being human, and the greatest wonders.  Sometimes there are things that are just beyond our abilities.  They are beyond our abilities to control, to fix, to prevent, to make better, or sometimes even to deal with.  We are not enough in ourselves.  I hate to know that we are sometimes so powerless.  I love to know that even when we are so powerless, we don't care, and we fight ferociously, and scream out at the injustice that we can't stop, fix, or solve.  Our hearts tear at the knowledge of all the suffering, and tragedy, even though there was nothing that could be done to stop it.  But I love the fact that it still hurts.  I love that about people, and about the world.  Embrace your sadness.  It is something that makes you special, and wonderful, and very, very human.

This is great.  I've saved it.

"This happen a other people?  What the hell do they do?"  -  Ennis Del Mar