The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Weather phenomena  (Read 128699 times)

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
Re: Weather phenomena
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 03:08:51 PM »
Life is worth living fully. Live each moment like you are going to die tomorrow.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 03:19:41 PM »
I remember those floods in the Upper Mississippi drainage basin then, Charlie! At one point the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri looked like an inland sea on the satellite map.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 03:53:38 PM »
I remember those floods in the Upper Mississippi drainage basin then, Charlie! At one point the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri looked like an inland sea on the satellite map.
Yep, many inland seas in Missouri alone.  The last photo was taken from where Hwy 41 north of Marshall was washed out.  Looking straight ahead where the road should have went, the main channel of the Missouri River is still 4 miles away!
Life is worth living fully. Live each moment like you are going to die tomorrow.

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2008, 04:00:23 PM »
Here is just one link which will show you some of the satellite images of the Missouri River before and during the 1993 flood.

http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a000900/a000929/index.html

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2008, 04:58:06 PM »
Some You Tube footage of damage from the Parkersburg, Iowa tornado, 5/25/08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m5fdPgrtxc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUjPaQA4b-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLdnfMLouDw

(could do without the music on this last one)

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2008, 08:25:56 PM »
Well, the Weather gurus here are sending out all kinds of warnings about tomorrow, supposedly the atmospheric conditions are just right to create a huge swath of dangerous tornado producing storms stringing all the way from Enid, Oklahoma up through and beyond Des Moines, same phenomenon happened a few years back and spawned 39 tornadoes in one night.........brother.......just had a wild storm last night, straightline winds up to 90 mph, hail and torrents of rain, short-lived, less than an hour..........really tore down trees this time................then it's almost 100 degrees today............crazy erratic weather patterns............HANG ONTO YOUR HATS!

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2008, 08:34:21 PM »
Yep, you in KS and Iowa get it tomorrow, and we in MO get it on Friday.  It just never ends.  I'm telling you, from the ice storms last winter, to all these wind storms this spring, many of our trees around here look pretty sad.

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008, 11:45:48 PM »
move to the coast, boys. hurricanes are easy to dodge.  :D
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2008, 07:55:35 AM »
move to the coast, boys. hurricanes are easy to dodge.  :D
Very true Jack....at least with them, and the modern satellite tracking system, you have several days notice to move on out.  But with tornadoes, it is still hit or miss.  They can tell us a storm may produce a tornado, but never know exactly where or when until the actual vortex forms; which in many cases occurs on very short notice.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2008, 08:12:20 AM »
The fun is already beginning here today.............supposedly Hail to start with, then the Tornado threat. The wind is blowing like a hurricane now, and clouds are just swirling every which way...........

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2008, 09:23:34 AM »
Have the day off, and been watching the map all morning.  You are in the middle of the action today Jonn.   Very windy here also, which always seems to be a precursor to nasty weather.   The low pressure system in Colorado at the moment is one of the strongest so far this spring.....and when it hits the moisture line from the gulf, which right now is over SE Kansas, and stretches up to Chicago; it's going to be like a bag of popcorn in the microwave at the 4 minute mark!

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2008, 10:01:14 AM »
Don't I know it, the Wind and Clouds have just been a swirling around all morning long, not a drop of rain or a hailstone yet, but it's BOUND to happen, something certainly has to happen anyway..........it's very, very nasty-looking.............

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2008, 10:05:53 AM »
Just looking at the maps at this time Jonn, and how I have learned to read them, it looks to me like you will start to see the action by this afternoon, into the evening, and for me here east of you, probably in the overnight hours into tomorrow.  Regardless of the time, we are going to get something, because the upper level winds above us are not going to change that much in the next 24 hours.  We are in the bullseye where the two fronts will clash later.....and with the heat of the afternoon....it's gonna get ugly.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2008, 01:15:21 PM »
I guess the wild Storm is going to hit here in the next hour or so, my company just sent out a notice, basically encouraging everyone to leave by 3 p.m..........great.........course they want us to charge benefit time for the early out!! arrrrggghhhhhhh........I will leave by then because I have that leaky basement issue, which I now have almost narrowed down to the water main inlet pipe, I 'm hoping anyway. you cannot believe how these wind has been today and the clouds just swirling round and round...........Ive enough of the wind, rain and hail storms this Spring, thank you!  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2008, 10:05:44 PM »
Heard a Tornado hit a Chicago suburb, Hope our Nellie wasn't in that one!  :-\