The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Weather phenomena  (Read 290352 times)

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
Re: Weather phenomena
« Reply #210 on: December 01, 2008, 05:04:29 PM »
Not weather but don't know where else to put this:

The moon, Jupiter(above) and Venus (below) are looking something like this over SW England at this moment.

YES!  It was mentioned on the news tonight.....a once in a lifetime alignment.  Thanks for posting the photo!
Would love to see it for real here in Missouri this evening, but it is overcast  :(
Life is worth living fully. Live each moment like you are going to die tomorrow.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #211 on: December 01, 2008, 05:54:39 PM »

A view of it from Virginia.

I thought sure we would be clouded out too, but it cleared not long before sunset.

More pics of it in the Life throught the Lens thread.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #212 on: December 02, 2008, 12:10:28 AM »
Not weather but don't know where else to put this:

The moon, Jupiter(above) and Venus (below) are looking something like this over SW England at this moment.
I have to say I wasn't trying to pass this off as my own photograph - I played around with one I googled to get the planets in the right position.  But Venus really was this close.  I hadn't known it was happening and couldn't believe what I saw - and it was a wonderful clear evening.

Offline BrokenOkie

• Former Mod
  • Obsessed
    • The Dave Cullen Forum Band
« Reply #213 on: December 09, 2008, 12:50:23 PM »
High winds, severe storms and reported tornado strike north Texas overnight, damaging/destroying 50+ homes and businesses.  Tornados know no season.

Photos courtesy of kxii.com

Hubby got called out at 1:30am with the live truck, which cancelled his scheduled 12 hour day covering a Toys for Tots effort.

But at least we didn't get the freakin' snow that was forecast for last night. YAY!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:53:50 PM by BrokenOkie »

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #214 on: December 10, 2008, 01:41:18 AM »
So true Glenn! Those are some pics of destruction.
We have had about 5 nights of heavy frost and ice here, which is unusual!

Finally  supposed to get some rain, so we will see about the ice.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Ennis Del Mark

• Obsessed
  • The first sign of life in four years...
« Reply #215 on: December 10, 2008, 11:56:09 AM »

A view of it from Virginia.

I thought sure we would be clouded out too, but it cleared not long before sunset.

More pics of it in the Life throught the Lens thread.

Thank all of you for posting this!  Last Monday I noticed this spectacular view (in north Florida) and was just mesmerized by it!  I stared at the sky for nearly an hour. A perfect crescent, and the two planets "placed" perfectly near it!  Absolutely gorgeous and very spiritual to me.  I heard that the planets were Venus and Jupiter but didn't know which was where.  Thanks for the info.  Kind of sad that as the moon has been waxing/earth has been rotating/WHATEVER the moon hasn't been near the planets anymore.  But as someone who loves to stargaze I had a great time last week!  I am so glad others noticed the celestial beauty too, and took photos!

Mark   

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #216 on: December 10, 2008, 01:16:32 PM »
High winds, severe storms and reported tornado strike north Texas overnight, damaging/destroying 50+ homes and businesses.  Tornados know no season.

Seen this on the news a couple hours ago....seems the whole thing has moved east and Alabama & Georgia now have tornado watches.
Here in MO last night, a bit of snow and freezing rain; but not enough to cause really any problems with travel.
Life is worth living fully. Live each moment like you are going to die tomorrow.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #217 on: December 12, 2008, 01:03:28 AM »
No big rain storms here yet - it's almost more like fall than winter here.  It's been kind of nice during the day - but this isn't good for our water table.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline Sason

• The Proverbial Swenglish Axegirl
  • Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #218 on: December 17, 2008, 11:11:52 AM »
The strangest thing happened yesterday.......

I woke up at 6.20, because my bed was shaking!  had no idea what it was, it felt like maybe a big truck or something was passing by....but I heard no noice..... a few more shakes, and I fell asleep again.

Later on I heard on the radio it had been an earthquake!!!!

The strongest in Scandinavia since 1904!!!  4,8 on the Richterscale.....

Everyone was talking about it everywhere, the whole day.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #219 on: December 17, 2008, 11:52:56 AM »

I heard that a tornado swept through Dennison, TX (North Texas close to OK border)
Are these pics from Dennison?

Offline BrokenOkie

• Former Mod
  • Obsessed
    • The Dave Cullen Forum Band
« Reply #220 on: December 17, 2008, 11:55:08 AM »

Yes.  Some 150 homes and businesses were severely damaged or destroyed.

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #221 on: December 17, 2008, 11:59:59 AM »

Yes.  Some 150 homes and businesses were severely damaged or destroyed.

Good lord.
Well, it is my experience that just about anything can happen, weather-wise, in around the Red River but a tornado
in December is unusual by just about any standard. 
(Hope too many liquor stores were not put out of commission .....don't  know what
the good people of Sherman would do!)  ;)

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #222 on: December 17, 2008, 12:04:59 PM »
This is a fascinating article - for all of our concerns about hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes the one climate related phenomenon that kills more people than any other is heat!

"Death map" shows heat a big hazard to Americans
By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor Maggie Fox, Health And Science Editor   – Wed Dec 17, 10:36 am ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Heat is more likely to kill an American than an earthquake, and thunderstorms kill more than hurricanes do, according to a "death map" published on Tuesday.

Researchers who compiled the county-by-county look at what natural disasters kill Americans said they hope their study will help emergency preparedness officials plan better.

Heat and drought caused 19.6 percent of total deaths from natural hazards, with summer thunderstorms causing 18.8 percent and winter weather causing 18.1 percent, the team at the University of South Carolina found.

Earthquakes, wildfires and hurricanes combined were responsible for fewer than 5 percent of all hazard deaths.

Writing in BioMed Central's International Journal of Health Geographics, they said they hoped to dispel some myths about what the biggest threats to life and limb are.

"According to our results, the answer is heat," Susan Cutter and Kevin Borden of the University of South Carolina wrote in their report, which gathered data from 1970 to 2004.

"I think what most people would think, if you say what is the major cause of death and destruction, they would say hurricanes and earthquakes and flooding," Cutter said in a telephone interview. "They wouldn't say heat."

"What is noteworthy here is that over time, highly destructive, highly publicized, often-catastrophic singular events such as hurricanes and earthquakes are responsible for relatively few deaths when compared to the more frequent, less catastrophic such as heat waves and severe weather," they wrote.

The most dangerous places to live are much of the South, because of the heat risk, the hurricane coasts and the Great Plains states with their severe weather, Cutter said.

continues:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081217/hl_nm/us_death_usa_3
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #223 on: December 18, 2008, 03:38:39 PM »
Gee, this kind of makes me want to snuggle under the blankets....

Las Vegas gets record Dec. snowfall, 3.6 inches
By KEN RITTER, Associated Press Writer Ken Ritter, Associated Press Writer

LAS VEGAS – Flights resumed in and out of Las Vegas, but schools and highways were closed Thursday after a record-setting snowfall coated marquees on the Strip, weighed down palm trees and blanketed surrounding mountain areas. The city awoke to clear weather after a storm that left 3.6 inches at McCarran International Airport. It was biggest December snowfall on record there, and the worst for any month since a 7 1/2-inch accumulation in January 1979, forecasters said.

The storm Wednesday and early Thursday also dumped snow or rain and snarled travel in other parts of Nevada, much of southern California and parts of northern Arizona.

"It looks like Whoville, all snowy, but with less joy and more extreme misery," said Calen Weiss, 19, who was stuck Wednesday when snow in the Cajon Pass east of Los Angeles disrupted travel on Interstate 15.

Cajon Pass and another leg of Interstate 15 near the Nevada line both reopened by midday Thursday, while Interstate 5, the major route between Northern and Southern California, partially reopened.

In Washington state, Seattle got a rare 4-inch accumulation, and in Spokane, the 17 inches piled up by 4 a.m. Thursday broke a 24-hour record total of 13 inches set in 1984. Spokane declared a "Condition Red" snow emergency, meaning crews will work around the clock until they complete a full city plow.

continues:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081218/ap_on_re_us/western_weather;_ylt=AkA9Aam5H_e_32aN_kugx30DW7oF

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #224 on: December 19, 2008, 02:52:13 PM »
Guess what!  It isn't raining men!

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/ca/

And btw, what are you doing on Sunday April 13, 2036?

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news146.html