The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Election 2008--CLOSED  (Read 881501 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: Election 2008
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 06:29:01 PM »
I think it is going to be one of the better pics from the election process, Lydia.
I had just seen it tonight on the news.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 06:39:56 PM »
Former President Carter weighing in on Obama choosing Clinton as VP.
"I think it'd be the worst mistake that could be made."
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 06:51:24 PM »

I think it has been a smart move by Barack to get Carolyn Kennedy involved in the selection process.

I realize that she wouldn't want the job, but wouldn't it be wonderful to have Caroline Kennedy as Vice-President?  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline alma

• Pawin the white
  • Obsessed
  • Shut up about Alma; This ain't her fault.
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 07:34:23 PM »
HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been busy all day and I just caught up on the primary thread and thought of you all last night while we were cheering our hearts out at the primary party in Cincinnati. What a night! What a day! Despite Hillary's enigmatic speech and McCain's "cottage cheese in lime jello" look (sorry, got that from attaturk linked off DKos and it just made me laugh), Barack came across like a classy pro.... and while I expected this outcome, I'm more than a little stunned at how truly historic, empowering, and emotional it felt to witness it. I got to sit with a state senator and his wife, a lovely Jewish woman from Cinci and an older, much revered African American couple (whose names I never did catch, but who were hugged by nearly everyone who walked by). Tears were in the eyes of so many of our AA friends and fellow Obama campaigners.

Regardless of every detractor, every challenge to Obama's experience - the point cannot be lost: this man who was a virtual unknown a year ago, who was subjected to some of the most unrelenting attacks on his associations with his church, who was up against a Clinton, for god's sake, overcame all that to win decidedly in the end!! I'm so grateful to have been a part.

And as for the primary thread: it revived my participation here and has led me to feel a deep affection for many of you. I thought the conversations were mostly very civil, thoughtful, and truly enlightening to me, this former republican convert. Thanks for all that you have contributed to me!

Onward to the General!

Offline alma

• Pawin the white
  • Obsessed
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 07:35:33 PM »
Ha ha ha ha ha ha. Leave it to Maureen Dowd. I said to my husband last night: Gotta read Maureen this morning. You know she'll be hilarious. And she was/is. A little thing like winning... yes indeedy.

ELECTION 2008

CUE JAWS THEME --

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

She’s Still Here!
By MAUREEN DOWD
Published: June 4, 2008

He thought a little thing like winning would stop her?

Whoever said that after denial comes acceptance hadn’t met the Clintons.

If Hillary could not have an acceptance speech, she wasn’t going to have acceptance.

"It’s never going to end," sighed one Democrat who has been advising Hillary. "We’re just moving to a new phase."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/04/opinion/04dowd.html?em&ex=1212724800&en=82513e4995f35fab&ei=5087%0A

Offline alma

• Pawin the white
  • Obsessed
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 07:36:55 PM »
I want to welcome any new members and lurkers to this discussion, and thank everyone who made the last one, on the primaries, so much rewarding.

The best way I can do that, is by quoting this wonderful post from the wonderful appleone last night:

As the Dem primary appears to be coming to an end, I cannot say enough how much I enjoyed sharing the experience with all of you.  It was so fun to live through the ups and downs, . . . Here are some of my favorite moments on the thread (and please forgive me, but I cannot mention them all or everyone here.  These happen to be the ones that pop into my head immediately):

Dave's recounting his experience about when BO spoke in CO; Rosewood's first donation to BO campaign; Julie's recounting canvassing in OH and her change in politics from past years; Lyle's buttons and humor; Brokebacktom's expressions of angst and excitement (alternatively and, sometimes, simultaneously); Jack's explanation of anger at oppression; Graylock's calming energy when the rest of us are emoting; Marcia's joy at the NH results, Tellyouwhat's article in TX newspaper; blue-eyes listening to Rev. Wright's speech; doodler's "folks on the street" insights; the thread's primary fatigue; and most of all, the overall camraderie and respect that folks had with each other while talking about a taboo  topic that we feel passionately about - politics and the future of our country.

I hope to see lots more of that, and more.

Dave and appleone: two of my faves. You guy rock. So where will we ALL (everyone here) meet to spray champagne when Obama takes it all!?!?!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline alma

• Pawin the white
  • Obsessed
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 07:37:29 PM »
i just saw the obama's fist-bump photo.

i LOVE michelle.

That knuckle shot is my favorite memory from yesterday. It says to me this couple is NOW!!!! I love her too.

Offline alma

• Pawin the white
  • Obsessed
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 07:47:15 PM »
The St. Crispin's Day speech is my favorite bit from Shakespeare.
Thanks Dave, for posting it earlier.
Perfectly glorious words for a perfectly glorious day.

I sent it out to the people I know who will celebrate with me.

Old Will knew everything.

As for last night.
It was thrilling.
I was overjoyed for Obama and his family and for us, our families
and this country.

When I think back, growing up in NYC, watching the civil rights
struggles and brutality on tv, then the assassinations
of the sixties...it is hard to believe that today has arrived.

Yes, "...we few, we happy few, we band of brothers..."
We will be remembered.
I'm glad I lived to see this day.

And I'm so glad you share your perspective with us! Your writing has moved me more than once. Last night, I thought of all of you who have worked for this moment, who wondered if it could ever be realized in your lifetimes. I hope (on behalf of people like Jack who reminded me the danger of enthusiasm and you who have witnessed the reversal of hope) that this time, we have overcome....

Peace!

Offline alma

• Pawin the white
  • Obsessed
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 07:47:59 PM »
what is interesting, and is being noted by the blogosphere if not the MSM, is that the obama campaign is not pressuring sen clinton to give it up and get on board, her own supporters ARE doing so, and in greater numbers by the day, incuding some of her biggest, most powerful supporters and contributors, some privately, others QUITE publicly.

maybe smoke signals will get the message across. 

I know that MyDD is rallying around Obama despite having been largely Clinton fans up till now. I sure hope the tide turns.

Offline alma

• Pawin the white
  • Obsessed
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 07:52:13 PM »
i hope the obama people and the clinton people can quickly figure out a way to steer the conversation about hillary into a constructive direction:

what role will she play on the team? and what role will bill play? is there a way to separate them and have them in separate roles rather than acting as a couple?

Someone floated the idea that Obama create a new position for her - not just HHS but a special task force leader for the Universal Health Care - and in a way, it would call her bluff. If she turns him down, how committed was she to "fighting for America" in her desire to create healthcare reform? I would love to see him do something like that.

Offline graylockV

• Obsessed
  • Klaatu barada nikto
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 08:23:18 PM »
i hope the obama people and the clinton people can quickly figure out a way to steer the conversation about hillary into a constructive direction:

what role will she play on the team? and what role will bill play? is there a way to separate them and have them in separate roles rather than acting as a couple?

Someone floated the idea that Obama create a new position for her

Perhaps the US Government could persuade Chile and Argentina to sell us Tierra del Fuego -

and then Barack could make Billary the Viceroy of that island.... in perpetuity.!
Beulah, peel me a grape.

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 08:35:28 PM »
The Obama supporters here in our little Kentucky county met Saturday to devise a plan for how we're going to keep interest in the election high and how to make it easy and comfortable for Hillary supporters to come on over to our side without feeling patronized. I think that's going to take time, especially with the pundits compiling Horrible Hillary loops to play ad infinitum. My Hill friends are still grieving, in spite of the fact that the outcome has been obvious for some time.

One really wonderful thing happened at our meeting to elect county delegates.  A nice young man, mid 20s, was hanging around with a sixty-something woman who's been an active Dem wheeler dealer for decades. During the down time while votes were being counted, she nudged him in the side and said get up and introduce yourself, Sellus! He stood up and announced that he'd been so inspired by Obama that he's running for the city commission. Then he started working the room like a pro. I live in the county, not the city, so can't vote for him, but am certainly letting my city friends know about him. He has ideas like increasing biking and walking trails, etc. What a super spin-off effect from Obama! I love the impact he's having on young people.

- Lydia

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 08:35:36 PM »
Just a funny note here. I had a Dr. Appt. today with my ENT guy, (bad ear problems), he spends 5 minutes treating me, sends the nurse out, then closes the door and spends another 20 minutes on Obama and Clinton.........how'd he know I was a Democrat? I didn't know Political Party affiliation was in your Medical History!  ::) ::) haha........I just said, "Well, this proves it, the country is definitely 'pumped' about the Election!"................. ;D ;D

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 08:37:55 PM »
So is someone ready to teach "Electoral College 101"?

- Lydia

Offline Tahoelvr

• Expert
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 08:45:29 PM »
I am just getting caught up also.  I am really surprised at how much hatred there is toward Hillary.  It's too bad because I really thinks BO needs her influence and help.  But heck, what do any of us know?

Facts though - she wasn't that far behind BO in any of the elections, there are millions of disappointed supporters out there, and while it doesn't count toward anything, the few HC supporters I spoke with today are now firmly in McCain's camp.

I realize that she is polarizing but as one of my friends put it today - "does he really think he is going to just sweep into Washington, change the whole program and dump all of the corruption that has been occuring for 200 years".  "It's going to take a long time and it is total arrogance to assume otherwise.  Pelosi, Reid and many other corrupt R's will still be there and favors will be granted".

I thought it was a valid point.