The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Scenes with Ennis and Alma OR Jack and Lureen  (Read 197807 times)

Offline Sandy

• Obsessed
Re: Scenes with Ennis and Alma OR Jack and Lureen
« Reply #1260 on: January 26, 2012, 08:25:10 AM »
To the second point, I just think Ennis was saying they didn't need to move for Alma to "fix up" a place. Ennis wasn't a creature of the town, IMO, and would have preferred to stay put.

Offline fofol

• Always
  • Obsessed
  • nice day for a white wedding
« Reply #1261 on: January 27, 2012, 06:02:57 AM »
Talk about a gut punch!  I saw that Sandy had posted in this thread, picked it up to see what he had to say and Dal's name came up as the last post prior to Austingirl...   I was delighted to see that Dal was posting and in the same thought realized that that light had gone out.  oooph
he felt he could paw the white out of the moon

Offline Sandy

• Obsessed
« Reply #1262 on: January 27, 2012, 09:15:04 AM »
So true, mike. It's still sad to think about.

Offline fofol

• Always
  • Obsessed
  • nice day for a white wedding
« Reply #1263 on: January 27, 2012, 10:56:02 AM »
You know, this is one of the few places in my life where I have come to genuine sorrow over people I have never met...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 11:02:34 AM by fofol »
he felt he could paw the white out of the moon

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #1264 on: August 05, 2012, 07:24:19 PM »
Still reading old threads from 2006 and found some interesting posts about the scene with Alma sitting at the table, and she says "Forgettin somethin?", when he left his tackle box on the counter....is this when she put the note in his creel case?  She did it on purpose, knowing he wasn't going to do any fishing?

I answer the heroic question 'Death, where is thy sting? ' with ' it is here in my heart and mind and memories.'  Maya Angelou

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #1265 on: July 08, 2013, 01:45:54 AM »
Here's my perspective on Ennis and Jack's 'marriages'

I want to say that even though Ennis and Alma were 'engaged' before he met Jack, I don't believe Ennis and Alma were ever 'in love' at all.  I think that Ennis assumed that she would make a good wife.  I think he loved her as a person but was not 'in love' with her.  I think Ennis might have known he was gay from a young age possibly.  I murder of Earl would have traumatized him as being the kind of thing that happned to 'queers' back then.  The same that would have been done to blacks who fought to be treated like human beings. I don't think Ennis was ever in love with Alma, even when they were 'engaged'.  I think he just thought she would make a suitable spouse because that is what society expected of and wanted from him.  When he met Jack, that is when I believe, he experienced his first and one true love.  Alma seems to be a victim of society herself.  She was most likely raised to want a husband and children. She probably did want that herself but she certainly wasn't going to find it with Ennis.  She should have and maybe did know that things wouldn't work out with Ennis after awhile, I mean he isn't a very open person and he is somewhat withdrawn.  That should have been or be a signal that it wouldn't work. Perhaps Alma thought she could 'make it work' which in my eyes is not a good excuse. A person should never try to make a lousy situation that does not approve with time, 'work. If it's not meant to be, then it's not meant to be, such as in the case of Ennis and Alma.  Their relationship wasn't meant to be, Ennis was in love with Jack, that is all there is to it.

I mean, Ennis' fear of what could happen if anyone found out about his sexual orientation is understandable.  I mean being a child of possibly 9-years-old and seeing the body of a deceased elderly male who has had his penis torn out because he was romantically and sexually involved with another man would be traumatizing.  Ennis suspected his father may have carried out this heinous act.  Ennis's dad probably told him that that is what 'should' happen to gay men and that is what they 'deserve', to be killed for simply being who they are and doing what they do.  I think maybe if Alma possibly knew about that incident that she wouldn't have been as cold-hearted as she became.  She may have worried that Ennis could have gotten huirt or killed over his relationship with Jack or that she and her family would be shunned by society if anyone else knew. The good thing is that Alma got out of that situation and was able to move on regardless of how difficult it may have been.  Lureen , for instance who knows? Maybe she found some straight man whom she later married.  Who can say?  Lureen and Alma both probably seemed to think they had 'ideal' lives in a way if you ask me. Neither woman ever meets the other although they probably do know about each other somewhat.

Alma, Lureen and Cassie are more victims of society, rather than being the 'victims' of Jack and Ennis's relationship. Cassie moves on with that Carl man.  Lureen was too busy running the family business.  Her father was mean to Jack.  We don't really know anything about Lureen or Alma's lives before Jack and Ennis came along.  We can assume they were probably brought up to be the idyllic heterosexual young women that society conditioned them to be.  Lureen seemed to have a wild side to her, one that Alma lacked.  I think Lureen was a victim of her father's wealth and over-masculine dominance.  We don't really ever know anything about her mother at all.  She seems nice, Mrs. Newsome does.  Mrs. Twist, Jacks mother is a victim of her husband's cold and distant personality.  I'm sure she knew of Jack and Ennis' relationship and I believe she accepted it.  Mr. Twist seemed to take his son for being a naieve dreamer.  Lureen is never seen with the Twist parents in any scene but they lived out in the middle of nowhere practically.  So, it's understandable.  I mean Cassie, Alma and Lureen are more victims of society to me than anything else.  Alma's heartbreak is understandable but she is also naieve in a way.  Homosexual love and relationships is not something she understands, particularly due to the time period in which the story takes place.  I don't think she meant to act homophobic towards Ennis. That's just how she learned to respond to that type of relationship.  It's not entirely her fault. It's more a learned aspect to behave homophobicly and a lack of understanding about the subject.  She did let Ennis go on fishing trips as hard as it may have been for her.  I think she knew that after a while her 'marriage' with Ennis would fail. 

It was inevitable from the start.  I knew the relationship between Ennis and Alma as well as the relationship between Jack and Lureen would fail.  Alma probably thought that her marriage was Ennis was something she was told she should want and something that she wanted herself but I think she realized that Ennis was gay and his heart belonged to Jack and that she should just let him be. Lureen in all her scenes towards the end, I think knows that something is going on with Jack, I am convinced that by the end of the film she most likely knows and accepts the love between Jack and Ennis as hard as it may have been for her.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #1266 on: July 15, 2013, 05:02:00 AM »
How come know one has mentioned the part in the store where Alma works when Jr. grabbed that bottle of peanuts and they came crashing down ?  Alma looked quite shocked like how was she ever gonna pick up all that mess. I though Alma Jr. would get barried alive when they fell down the first time, that was a little humorous moment in the film to men.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #1267 on: August 31, 2013, 07:52:19 AM »
Still reading old threads from 2006 and found some interesting posts about the scene with Alma sitting at the table, and she says "Forgettin somethin?", when he left his tackle box on the counter....is this when she put the note in his creel case?  She did it on purpose, knowing he wasn't going to do any fishing?

You know, I never really thought about "when" she did it.  Now that you mention it, I'm willing to bet that's when she did it.  She wanted to make sure he took the case, so she could confront him about it.