The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Why am I gay? -- Nature? Nurture? (Straights welcome, too)  (Read 177170 times)

Offline desertrat

• Sunflower
  • Obsessed
  • No angel ;-)
Re: Why am I gay? -- Nature? Nurture? (Straights welcome, too)
« Reply #810 on: June 25, 2012, 05:08:49 AM »
Humans are the only species in which females live beyond their reproductive years and grandmothers have had crucial roles in gathering food and caring for daughters and grandchildren. Perhaps gay male uncles may have had similar functions.

I have to correct, this is not true. Just one example: elephants live way beyond their reproductive age, and aging elephants will assist younger ones.
Minds are like parachutes... they both work better when opened.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #811 on: June 25, 2012, 10:03:05 PM »
Thanks for the correction. It just goes to show we can't trust sources aimed at a general audience.

Offline Art

• Expert
« Reply #812 on: June 26, 2012, 04:36:32 AM »
while i am not of the school of thinking, there are gay clubs that will will bar your entrance if you smell of cologne, and many men go on about wanting men to smell like men rather than flowers.  i rarely leave the house without a splash of something and unscented deodorant.  it can be a bit much if one uses scented shampoo, scented bathsoap, and THEN adds cologne.

This reminds me of the famous t-shirt test which shows that gay men predominantly select gay mens t-shirts on their smell (and not those of straight men, or gay or straight women). Has to do with feromones. So don't overdo with perfume, or you will decrease your attractiveness!

Offline lislis

• Expert
« Reply #813 on: December 11, 2012, 09:16:28 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/12/11/homosexuality-ultimately-result-gene-regulation-researchers-find/

The search for a "gay gene" may be off-target, new research finds. Another process called epigenetics that switches genes on and off may explain why homosexuality runs in families.

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #814 on: December 12, 2012, 05:59:08 AM »
Excellent article.
Brokeback short stories at storybyjanjo.livejournal.com

"Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?"
Ballad in plain D: Bob Dylan

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #815 on: February 04, 2013, 09:42:42 AM »
Another report of the connection between epigenetics and homosexuality.

http://www.utk.edu/tntoday/2012/12/11/study-epigenetics-may-underlie-homosexuality/
Brokeback short stories at storybyjanjo.livejournal.com

"Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?"
Ballad in plain D: Bob Dylan