The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain and Diana Ossana at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater, August 4 2008  (Read 13353 times)

Offline BayCityJohn

• Obsessed
This is what Randy Haberkamp had to say about us in his opening remarks:

Back in the very early days of film, the studios measured a star’s popularity by the fan mail they received. 

Lots of things have changed, but some actors and some films still manage to have a profound effect that resonates long beyond their initial career or release. 

Fan clubs have now evolved and blogs are the twenty-first century version of fan mail.

I’d like to welcome members of the Brokeback Mountain Forum which has 6000 members, many of whom have allowed their affection for this film to create new friendships and new discussion. 

Some of the members have traveled from across the country and at least one from Germany, so I hope everyone here appreciates how special it is to see this film back on the big screen in such glorious condition.

Once a virgin, always a virgin

Offline BayCityJohn

• Obsessed
The following posts are the letters that were read to the audience from some of the
people connected to the making of Brokeback Mountain.  (The Larry McMurtry letter
was not included in this correspondence.)

Courtesy of Randy Haberkamp:

Greetings from the actor who played John Twist, Jack’s father…

It was a great joy to work with Ang Lee, Roberta Maxwell & the
brilliant Heath Ledger & to be even a small part of a film which has had
such a profound impact on the culture & and on people's lives worldwide.

When we work on a film we necessarily have tunnel vision:  intensely
focused on the day-to-day struggle to bring words to life.  While I
thought "Brokeback" would perhaps push the envelope in mainstream
filmmaking, I never imagined the breaththough phenomenon it would
become.   Nor would I have thought that playing even a modest role like
John Twist would -- as for all of us in the cast -- bring such an
outpouring of grateful and deeply moving letters from  people all over
the world.   I am honored to have been a part of this.

Best Regards,
Peter McRobbie             

Offline BayCityJohn

• Obsessed
Greetings from producer James Shamus...

"Thank you for coming to see Brokeback on the big screen. It's an honor
to share it with you again, and I'd like to take this opportunity simply
to remember Heath Ledger and acknowledge his tremendous contribution to
the film."

James Schamus
Producer

Offline BayCityJohn

• Obsessed
Greetings from director Ang Lee, who won an Oscar for his direction of
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN...

“This is a film that was blessed even as we were making it.  It was
filled with so much love, compassion, and a benevolent spirit.  I’m very
happy that it is being shown again in the Goldwyn Theater as one to be
remembered in the Oscar “pack”.  It was great to be nominated.

By the way, does “Great to be Nominated” really mean “Should have Won?”

Anyway.  Hope you enjoy the film again.

Ang Lee – 7/24/08

Offline BayCityJohn

• Obsessed

Oscar®-wining producer and screenwriter Diana Ossana preceding a screening of "Brokeback Mountain," shown as part of the "Great to Be Nominated" series at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in Beverly Hills on Monday, August 4, 2008.

Matt Petit / ©A.M.P.A.S.

Courtesy of A.M.P.A.S.©

Offline BayCityJohn

• Obsessed

Oscar®-wining producer and screenwriter Diana Ossana preceding a screening of "Brokeback Mountain," shown as part of the "Great to Be Nominated" series at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in Beverly Hills on Monday, August 4, 2008.

Matt Petit / ©A.M.P.A.S.

Courtesy of A.M.P.A.S.©

Offline BayCityJohn

• Obsessed

Oscar®-wining producer and screenwriter Diana Ossana participated in a panel discussion following a presentation of the 2005 Best Picture nominee "Brokeback Mountain," which screened as part of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' "Great To Be Nominated" series on Monday, August 4, 2008, at the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater.

Matt Petit / ©A.M.P.A.S.

Courtesy of A.M.P.A.S.©

Offline BayCityJohn

• Obsessed

The 2005 Best Picture nominee "Brokeback Mountain" screened as part of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' "Great To Be Nominated" series on Monday, August 4, at 7:30 p.m. at the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater. Pictured here during the panel discussion following the screening are Oscar®-wining producer and screenwriter Diana Ossana (left) and Academy director of special projects Randy Haberkamp.

Matt Petit / ©A.M.P.A.S.

Courtesy of A.M.P.A.S.©

Offline BayCityJohn

• Obsessed

Oscar®-wining producer and screenwriter Diana Ossana participated in a panel discussion following a presentation of the 2005 Best Picture nominee "Brokeback Mountain," which screened as part of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' "Great To Be Nominated" series on Monday, August 4, 2008, at the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater.

Matt Petit / ©A.M.P.A.S.

Courtesy of A.M.P.A.S.©

Offline BayCityJohn

• Obsessed
Diana Ossana and Randy Haberkamp

The 2005 Best Picture nominee "Brokeback Mountain" screened as part of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' "Great To Be Nominated" series on Monday, August 4, at 7:30 p.m. at the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater. Pictured here during the panel discussion following the screening are Oscar®-wining producer and screenwriter Diana Ossana (left) and Academy director of special projects Randy Haberkamp.

Matt Petit / ©A.M.P.A.S.

Courtesy of A.M.P.A.S.©

Offline BayCityJohn

• Obsessed
Meet Me on the Mountain

Photograph by DontwanttosayGB

Our thanks to Shawn Kirchner and singers Ryan Harrison, Karen Harper, and Jeanne Jolly
for their exclusive live performance of songs from the Meet Me on the Mountain CD
during the Los Angeles gathering. What a treat to hear live these very powerful and
intimate songs that were inspired by our special movie, Brokeback Mountain.

Shawn Kirchner, songwriter, backup vocals, piano.

Meet Me on the Mountain composer, Shawn Kirchner, is a choral composer/arranger and a singer/pianist in the classical music circles of Los Angeles . A member of L.A. ’s premiere professional chorus, the Los Angeles Master Chorale, he performs regularly with the Chorale and the Los Angeles Philharmonic at Disney Hall and the Hollywood Bowl.  His musical compositions have been performed by choirs across the country and around the world, in schools, churches, concert halls, and on television, radio, and on
YouTube
.  He has sung on a number of feature film soundtracks, and was the music director for the 2004 CBS Christmas Eve special, Enter the Light of Life.

In addition to composing the music and writing the lyrics of Meet Me on the Mountain, Shawn Kirchner accompanies on piano, and sings backup vocals.
www.shawnkirchner.com

SINGERS:

Ryan Harrison  http://songforge.com/

Ryan Harrison (lead singer) is an award-winning vocalist and songwriter whose versatility makes him at home in a wide range of styles, from country and gospel to pop and jazz.  He was a featured soloist in the CBS Christmas Eve special Enter the Light of Life that was broadcast nationally in 2004, and he has performed across the United States and abroad.  In addition to Meet Me on the Mountain, Ryan has sung on numerous recordings, including another 2008 release, his own pop album, It's True

Karen Harper

Tennessee native Karen Harper (lead singer) was born into a musical family immersed in jazz, classical, and gospel music, and she began singing professionally at a young age.  Since relocating to Los Angeles , she has acquired an extensive list of credits for television, film, and live performances, including singing on albums with Randy Newman and Harry Connick, Jr.

Jeanne Jolly  http://www.myspace.com/jeannejolly

Jeanne Jolly’s voice has carried her a long way from her native Raleigh. The 2006 winner of Western’s Young Alumna Award was the featured vocalist with the touring band of Chris Botti, a multiple Grammy Award-winning jazz trumpet player, after the release of Botti’s album “To Love Again.”

A full review of the CD by Meryl Ann Butler is available here: http://www.opednews.com/articles/1/life_a_meryl_an_080326_meet_me_on_the_mount.htm

The CD of 'Meet Me on the Mountain" can be purchased at  http://cdbaby.com/cd/skirchner2
or you can order and download mp3's at our Amazon store: 
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00169SYJ8/ref=nosim/102-5599062-3867306?tag=davecullencom-20&linkCode=sb1&camp=212353&creative=380549

Shawn Kirchner will also be performing here:

August 19 , 8 - 11 pm at Hip Kitty in Claremont, CA.  Solo jazz performance of original tunes and standards

And a few more performances by Shawn:

August 11-16, 2008 in Estes Park, Colorado (YMCA of the Rockies) (Hey. I know where that is!)

The National Young Adult Conference of the Church of the Brethren convenes for its biennial gathering.  Shawn Kirchner serves as music leader for the week.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 9 and 11, 2008 at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles

The Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Los Angeles Master Chorale present Mahler's 8th Symphony in Esa-Pekka Salonen's final Hollywood Bowl performance as the Philharmonic's music director.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, September 19, 2008 at Iowa Mennonite School (Kalona, IA), 7 pm

Ryan Harrison (vocals) and Shawn Kirchner (piano & vocals) present an Artist Series concert featuring original gospel, bluegrass, and jazz songs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, September 21, 2008 at Mingenback Theater, McPherson, KS 3 pm

The McPherson Arts Council presents The Shawn Kirchner Quartet in a concert of classic jazz standards and newly written tunes by Kirchner.  Ryan Harrison (vocals), Shawn Kirchner (piano), Steve Biondo (percussion) http://stevenbiondo.com , and guest artist Mark Foley (bass).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ryan Harrison and Steve Biondo will also be performing at Friday Night Sing-Alongs

Liberating songbirds from the shower stall,
Friday Night Sing-Alongs give you an opportunity to belt out popular favorites and classic tunes,
always accompanied by live musicians.

Friday, August 18, 2008
WHERE: Music Center Plaza
WHEN: 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM
ADMISSION: FREE
Limited seating capacity. First come, first served.

http://www.musiccenter.org/events/aa_frintsing.html

« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 03:07:30 AM by BayCityJohn »